Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

OP, will you be continuing with the other games once you finish this one?

Some of my fondest childhood memories are from playing the original EGA KQ1-3 on my old 386. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Nostalgia! I loved the King's Quest series and I remember being a kid and getting excited when a new game would be announced. We also went crazy over Colonel's Bequest, though I don't think I ever actually beat that one.

Definitely following this thread, and it's interesting to see the various graphics changes the first game has gone through over the years.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I never really got the appeal of Kings Quest. I only ever played it decades later when either my dad or my brother bought some collectors edition of it that contained a pamphlet full of self congratulatory bullshit like people weeping at the music and plot of kings quest 4. Like Sierra made some fantastic games, the Space Quest series for all its faults is still quite funny and charming, Conquests of the Longbow is so good I'm surprised no one has made an lp of it, Quest for Glory is fantastic too. Like Sierra games have always had their flaws, but its kind of their signature.

Kings Quest though, I dunno, everything is just so bland maybe it just leaned too hard into fairy tales for me, it really does seem like a game meant for kids.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Tiggum posted:

King's Quest 5 contains a puzzle that you can solve in two different ways. Solving it the wrong way leads to being unable to solve a later puzzle at all. You won't realise this until you get to that later puzzle and possibly bash your head against it for hours trying to figure out what you missed.

KQ5 has a frankly disgusting number of ways you can lose the game and not find out until long after the fact. Each of the following things that you can do is effectively a delayed game over, with the punchline often coming hours later and sometimes giving no clue as to what you did wrong.

- eat a pie
- watch a cat catch a mouse
- pay a gypsy with one of the two items in the game that he accepts as payment
- feed the wrong kind of food to a bird, or don't feed it at all
- fail to save an owl's life (this one doesn't kill you until the actual final screen of the game)
- fail to notice and grab a tiny glinting object in a non-repeatable timed sequence
- cross the point of no return roughly halfway through the game without one of about half a dozen essential items

I can't believe I ever liked that game.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Man, this game brings back some memories.

I remember playing this in black/green colors with my 5 inch floppies.

Now I feel old. :corsair:

Also, someone mentioned Gold Rush. I actually found that to be the easiest of the old bullshit sierra games ASSUMING YOU WENT THROUGH THE PANAMA CANAL. I could never beat the game going around the Cape or via wagon train specifically because of what you mentioned (random diseases didn't happen on the Canal route). Outside of those routes you could take, Gold Rush is shockingly easy compared to other Sierra games.

Nowadays, the only sierra games I'll replay are Quest for Glory games, they were the perfect combination of sierra bullshit and fun.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 8, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Let's try that again. I won't be showing every time I save or reload my game, because there are some parts of the game where you'd see the save dialog eight or nine times in a two minute stretch. All the same, I may show off my save names every once in a while.

Because my puns are just as bad as the narrator's.

Last time, we were crushed to death because we stood in front of a rock and pulled it downhill. So instead, let's stand behind it. Also worth pointing out with this particular version of the VGA engine, the important part of the mouse cursor has a red dot on it. So just line up the red fingernail with the rock and...

: With a small shove, Graham manages to push the rock a few feet... revealing a shallow hole underneath.

And if we look inside...

: There is an intricately carved dagger in the hole.

A dagger, huh? Let's get that poo poo.

: Graham reaches into the hole and grasps the dagger, being careful not to cut himself.

Although it's admittedly been a few years since I last played a game in the VGA engine, I'm pretty sure the Sierra one didn't automatically select the item to use for you. So that's a neat difference between this VGA remake and later VGA titles.

And now that we have an item, let's take a quick look at our inventory. The buttons at the bottom let you further examine and prod the stuff you find.

: This is a fine silver dagger, with a very sharp edge! Graham can't read the runes on the blade, but it appears to be an elvish dagger of great antiquity.
: Be careful, Graham! That blade is very sharp.

I'll be periodically checking my inventory and going over the various look/touch interactions.

And because I know someone's going to ask...

: Be careful, Sir Graham! You might cut yourself.

No taking the quick way out of this quest. If Graham wants to die, he'll have to find another way to do it.

The game overworld fits on an 8x6 grid. There's a few maps out there, but I'm going to be referencing the map AGDI has on their site when I'm referring to locations.

The left exit from the castle, that we took last time, is located at A-2. The rock where we started this update is H-2, and we're currently at H-1, the Oak Tree. The map wraps both horizontally and vertically, so it can be easy to get lost.

Anyway, the huge tree is the sole feature of this screen, so let's look closer...

: This is the biggest oak tree Graham has ever seen. Its trunk seems to be about ten feet around, and the thick, sturdy branches look like they could hold many times his weight.
: If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were trying to get me to climb the tree.

: Well, I was going to climb it anyway!

: Finding plenty of footholds in the coarse bark of the tree, Graham easily clambers up the trunk to the branches above.

The branches of the oak tree are one of many sub-areas in the game. It's also our first introduction to the game's "platforming" challenges. There's something in the nest, but first we have to carefully walk across the branch to get there.

Seems simple enough right?

The arrows outline the only path you can take to reach the egg at the end. Anything else results in you falling off the branch and having to try again. Once we get close to the nest, we can look at it to see...

: There is a perfect, shimmering golden egg lying in the nest. Graham carefully lifts it out.

Score! I also went ahead and combined the narration for looking and taking, because there's no way in hell we're leaving a solid 24 karat golden egg behind.

: Graham is holding a lovely golden egg.
: This is one egg that definitely won't be so easy to crack!

Now that we have our prize, let's take a shortcut.

By which I mean, let's jump out of the tree.

Each time you fall out of the tree, there's a several second long unskippable animation of Graham falling, landing, and standing back up. It's kind of obnoxious if you're trying to walk across the tree limb.

Moving on, we're now on screen A-1.

: This is a well-tended carrot patch. The carrots look tempting to a hungry traveler.
: How did that old rhyme go? 'See a carrot, pick it up, then all day you'll have good luck?' Well, I can use all the luck I can get.
: I don't think that's how it goes, but...

: Graham plucks a plump, orange carrot from the ground.

Your standard adventure game rules apply here. If it's not nailed down, take it. If it's nailed down, find a way to remove the nails.

On screen A-6, there's an event that randomly triggers. If the screen is empty, then leave and return until it happens.

: Wandering along the banks of the beautiful lake, you see a cute little elf.

Wait until the elf is nearby, and try talking to him.

: Excuse me, little elf? Hi, my name is Graham and...
: The elf is impressed by Graham's friendliness and responds by handing him an elegant little ring.
: I've had me eye on ye, Sir Graham. Methinks you might enjoy this little trinket. For just a wee bit o' time, it has the power to make ye invisible.
: Well, thank you! That's awfully generous of you.
: May it give ye as much entertainment as ye has given me this day!
: With that, the elf vanishes.

: Graham's hand tingles slightly as he looks at this jeweled ring.

Using the hand icon on the ring makes Graham put it on. We want to save this until we really need it, so we won't be doing that.

: There appears to be some sort of bowl sitting next to the tree. Graham picks it up.
: Maybe someone lost this bowl. I should try to return it to them...

A-5 is one of many screens in the game that only serves to give you an item. Unlike most of the items in the game, this one is actually useful for something.

Jumping a few screens, this is H-4, also known as the Gloomy Clearing. H-3 and H-4 are two of the five "dangerous" screens in the game. The other three screens to watch out for are G-5, F-6, and G-1. Basically just avoid "Gloomy Clearing," "Dark Forest," or the "Wolf" screens unless you absolutely can't help it.

So what makes H-4 particularly dangerous?

: There is a small dwarf right nearby. Be careful, this sly little chap is trouble.

A few seconds after entering a "dangerous" screen, the game has a chance to spawn an enemy. Graham is not Nike von Slartibartfast, so he can't defend himself very well. So if an enemy shows up, the only recourse is to get offscreen ASAP.

The Dwarf is the only enemy that won't kill you outright. Instead, he does something much more sinister.

: The sneaky little dwarf caught Graham by surprise. Did he steal anything?

The narration is a hint to check your pockets immediately.

We're incredibly lucky here. The Dwarf didn't steal anything! If he catches you, then he can steal anything out of your pockets, and I mean anything.

Once the item is gone, then there's no way to get it back. So if he happens to steal one of the items you need to beat the game? Well, sucks to be you in which case. Guess you should have known that the RNG would decide to gently caress you over completely at random.

One screen to the south is the Walnut Tree. (H-5)

: There is a large walnut tree surrounded by several pine trees.
: It looks like a walnut of some sort.
: Gee, who would have thought you'd find walnuts underneath a walnut tree?

I'm gonna be honest, walnuts don't fall like that unless it's in the autumn months. They have these big green casings that are stuffed full of fibrous material, and once that cracks open, you can finally get at the walnuts within. The green casings stain the hell out of your hands if you touch them. The fiber inside also leaves black stains on everything but grass.

What I'm getting at here is that this game is set in the springtime, so there's no way there'd be fresh walnuts on the ground at this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within this one screen.

: Graham chooses a big, meaty-looking walnut from the bunch scattered around.
: Mmm, out of season walnuts...

: Graham is holding an ordinary walnut.
: When Graham opens the walnut, he discovers that the nut inside is pure gold!

So here's another change from the SCI and EGA versions. In those, it was up to random chance if you got gold out of a walnut. In this VGA port, every time I've checked a walnut, it has had gold inside.

Since we're here, let's check some other items...

: Inscribed on the inside of this empty ceramic bowl is the word 'Fill'.
: To Graham's astonishment, something begins to bubble up from the bottom of the bowl. Within moments, the bowl is filled with a hot savory stew.

Using the hand on the bowl implies Graham is saying "fill" to the bowl, which fills it up. It's a nice change from the old versions where you had to actually type "say fill" to fill the bowl.

: Graham eats every bite of the delicious stew.

You can eat the stew from the bowl as well. Though doing so removes the points you gained from filling the bowl.

I think that's enough for now. Like I said last time, King's Quest I is a very short game. My recording for the entire game is 01:00:24 long. That's 1 hour, 0 minutes, and 24 seconds. This is just a little over 11 minutes in, so we're about 1/6 of the way done give or take. Seems like a good point to call things for now, right?

NEXT TIME: We make some progress!

List of Points
+2 - Rolled the Rock
+5 - Took the Dagger
+2 - Climbed the Tree
+6 - Took the Golden Egg
+2 - Took a Carrot "for luck"
+3 - Got a ring from an elf
+3 - Picked up a bowl
+3 - Picked up a walnut
+3 - Found gold in walnut
+1 - Read bowl inscription
+2 - Filled bowl with stew
-2 - Ate the stew

Total: 30/158

Register of Deaths

None this time!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

OP, will you be continuing with the other games once you finish this one?

Some of my fondest childhood memories are from playing the original EGA KQ1-3 on my old 386. :unsmith:

At some point, yes. I want to do the whole most of the series eventually, but I won't be going into King's Quest 2 immediately.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah King's quest. I only played the later ones but I did watch my parents play these ones. Such memories. Well at least this version is less likely to make you tear your hair out.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sierra did the Police Quest series too, right? One of my friends was/is into that.

My favorite "death" from the first of those games was when you pull over a girl who was speeding and let her off in exchange for sex. She gives you her number and speeds off leaving you to find a phone. After entering the number, which you had to write down on a piece of paper of course, the main character opens up the call with some dirty talk. Three things become very clear very quickly.
1. It wasn't actually her number.
2. The Commissioner's wife is not pleased.
3. She recognized his voice.
:cawg:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 8, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Poil posted:

Sierra did the Police Quest series too, right? One of my friends was/is into that.

My favorite "death" from the first of those games was when you pull over a girl who was speeding and let her off in exchange for sex. She gives you her number and speeds off leaving you to find a phone. After entering the number, which you had to write down on a piece of paper of course, the main character opens up the call with some dirty talk. Three things become very clear very quickly.
1. It wasn't actually her number.
2. The Commissioner's wife is not pleased.
3. She recognized his voice.
:cawg:

Yeah, PQ could get away with being more silly since its schtick was trying to be quasi-real w/r/t police procedures. Playing it straight was the emphasis, and it worked fairly well. Jim Walls was brought in because he was off active duty due to a shooting, and Sierra basically made him "lead designer" with no prior programming experience.
Makes me wonder who really did the heavy lifting, since PQ1-3 were actually playable. After Daryl Gates (of the goddamn LA Riots fame) was handed the series, Walls felt he could still do game design and made Blue Force. You haven't heard of it, because even by 1993 standards it was utter poo poo. He tried game design again with a Kickstarter for another police game, which was ended early since he couldn't break $90K.

Edit: Good writeup here: http://www.linehollis.com/2014/02/08/line-on-sierra-police-quest-i/
Edit2: Yeah, it's a little unfair about some of the gameplay/mechanics, but a lot of the history and commentary are on point.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 8, 2017

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

He has some decent points, but the main gist of the article is "I didn't read the manual, didn't pay attention to anything in the game, and don't get what's going on. This game sucks!"

The Adventure Gamer's overview (begins [url=https://advgamer.blogspot.com/2012/03/game-13-police-quest-i-introduction.html]here[/i]) is a lot more fair.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, PQ could get away with being more silly since its schtick was trying to be quasi-real w/r/t police procedures. Playing it straight was the emphasis, and it worked fairly well. Jim Walls was brought in because he was off active duty due to a shooting, and Sierra basically made him "lead designer" with no prior programming experience.
Makes me wonder who really did the heavy lifting, since PQ1-3 were actually playable. After Daryl Gates (of the goddamn LA Riots fame) was handed the series, Walls felt he could still do game design and made Blue Force. You haven't heard of it, because even by 1993 standards it was utter poo poo. He tried game design again with a Kickstarter for another police game, which was ended early since he couldn't break $90K.

Edit: Good writeup here: http://www.linehollis.com/2014/02/08/line-on-sierra-police-quest-i/
Good times. :v:

Thanks for linking that, it's great.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I've only played the AGI and SCI versions of this game, and I've never gotten anything from a walnut other than gold. Maybe I just always picked up the right one? I've tried picking up a few, but the game always told me to grab one from near the tree, because it would be the freshest, or something like that. The dwarf would also unfailingly steal a treasure if he caught me - if I had any of the Three Treasures, that would be the one.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
When comparing Sierra games to Lucasfilm Games’ ditto, don’t forget that Sierra literally invented the genre of graphical adventures, and that most of the Lucas games people remember are a decade later than many Sierra games.

Lucas’ games before 1990 have just as many “gently caress you”s as Sierra games (try playing Maniac Manision, Zak McKraken or even Indy 3 without a walk through).

That of course doesn’t make it nice, but it was born out of necessity (KQ1 came on a single floppy with only space enough to fit 4 screenshots from this LP). Quick death was a necessity, because there was simply no room for another scene.

Lucas of course greatly improved this, both with checkpointing you and not allowing death. Those things were just not invented as solutions yet, even if they seem so obvious now.

Of course, Lucas makes fun of this in Monkey Island 1, where the second of the two possible deaths refers to Sierra’s love for random death (“rubber tree!”)

KQ1 didn’t originally come with EGA graphics, by the way. It was originally a PCjr game - another dead attempt by IBM to make the PC great again. The first version you could play on a regular PC had CGA graphics (both the ugly kind most people think of when they hear CGA and the much less used but by far nicer comnposite CGA, making Graham much less Simpsony): (spoilers after around the 4th minute):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km7UB9CRMyE

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Even the earliest SCUMM games had nothing close to Sierra's bullshit. There are very few ways to die in Maniac Mansion, they all take place instantly, and always require you to do something fairly stupid. There are a few ways (besides getting one or two of the kids killed) to put you in a walking dead state, but those were mostly accident that Lucasarts made an extreme effort to stamp out in later titles.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
MM came out over 3 years after KQ1. It’s more a contemporary to KQ4 or LSL1, which are a lot less bullshitty. Let’s just ignore KQ3 and LSL2, because those would undermine my statement :)

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Roberta Williams saw the King's Quest games more like Roguelikes than the later adventure games. Saving was more for when you had to stop playing for whatever reason than savescumming through the entire game. You'd play through it from the beginning figuring things out as you went, so having bullshit deadend solutions was just kind of expected. That's how I always played them as a kid because I would forget to save, but I think a lot of people played them years after the fact so they had a more modern mentality that didn't really click with the game design they were going for. Even so, Quest for Glory was a much better game series and I wish they had way more money and time to do every game right instead of cutting out the goblin dungeon in the first one and like half of third game.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Not to mention the reason Lucasarts games are devoid of things like RNG deaths and lose states was that it was apart of the design philosophy Ron Gilbert constructed in response to adventure games of the previous decade.
I don't think deaths are all that terrible in adventure games so long as they are avoidable in some consistent way. Plus I just love how in old Sierra games how they would reward you with a death screen for persistently doing obviously stupid things. Lose states are pretty terrible though, doubly so when they involve events happening long after the fact.

Also, you can totally die in Monkey Island, properly too, not in a fake out kind of way. Guybrush can only hold his breath for 10 minutes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

A few seconds after entering a "dangerous" screen, the game has a chance to spawn an enemy. Graham is not Nike von Slartibartfast, so he can't defend himself very well. So if an enemy shows up, the only recourse is to get offscreen ASAP.

Are you sure you're a knight?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Gnoman posted:

Even the earliest SCUMM games had nothing close to Sierra's bullshit. There are very few ways to die in Maniac Mansion, they all take place instantly, and always require you to do something fairly stupid. There are a few ways (besides getting one or two of the kids killed) to put you in a walking dead state, but those were mostly accident that Lucasarts made an extreme effort to stamp out in later titles.

Indy 3 on the other hand, had TONS of bullshit ways to die.

Though all is forgiven since any game that let's you punch hitler is a 10/10 for me even if that got you killed

Also, as far as RNG goes, Indy 3 had a few really insidious ones.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
My memory of Indy 3's deaths was that they were all pretty fair. Certainly nothing on the scale of what King's Quest was pulling. Rose tinted specs again?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whybird posted:

My memory of Indy 3's deaths was that they were all pretty fair. Certainly nothing on the scale of what King's Quest was pulling. Rose tinted specs again?

Does the randomized nature of the final puzzle (that you can only find an answer about 5-6 hours back, which you probably won't) ring a bell?

Or the fighting mini-game for that matter.

Now, I'll admit that any and all bullshit in Indy 3 might not compare to the worst Quest games, but for a LucasArts game it could be pretty darn mean.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 10, 2017

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Most of the indy3 fights cold be avoided (some you could sneak past, some you could bribe, some you could bluff your way past “I’m selling these fine leather jackets”). Much fairer than the early 80s games from Sierra, but a heck of a lot more bullshit than day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island and many of the examples most people remember fondly. There was a quite clear evolution.

KQ1 was one of the first games using an actual game engine, btw. Sierra decided that coding it in assembler would be too hard and wrote AGI to help. It was made by request from IBM to promote their upcoming PCjr line of computers.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

mauman posted:

Does the randomized nature of the final puzzle (that you can only find an answer about 5-6 hours back, which you probably won't) ring a bell?

Or the fighting mini-game for that matter.

Now, I'll admit that any and all bullshit in Indy 3 might not compare to the worst Quest games, but for a LucasArts game it could be pretty darn mean.

Oh, right. Yeah. That. I take everything back.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:allears: oh man, old school adventure games. I remember being a young kid and getting really angry and dying a lot.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

klafbang posted:

Most of the indy3 fights cold be avoided (some you could sneak past, some you could bribe, some you could bluff your way past “I’m selling these fine leather jackets”).

Maybe if you knew EXACTLY what you were doing. The first time you're probably going to go through those fights (a lot including the reloads). And even on multiple playthroughs you're going to run into supposedly avoidable fights.

I've beaten Indy 3 enough times that I could probably avoid a fair amount of the fights, but even my memory isn't good enough to avoid all of the castle fights for instance (which outfit do I wear again, what dialogue do I use again, do I need an item - OOPS wrong choice fist to the face), and good luck avoiding the fights in the blimp*, those jerks literally home in on you.

*Yes, I'm aware you can skip the blimp, most players would not realize this though. And even players that do realize might not like doing it since it's surprisingly annoying to get the plane moving

So in theory, yeah sure, but in practice I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

Funnily enough, the game also punishes you for doing the smartest solution a fair amount of times. For instance, it's possible to skip going to Berlin, but that's actually a really really bad thing to do.

But the whole "solution to the final puzzle is in a very hard to reach locked room in Castle Brunwald that you'll most likely have no idea it's even there despite the hints the game gives you and you'll most likely have to skip it since you'll get caught and have to escape only to get to the end of the game and have to pray to whatever dark god you worship to pick the right cup" is a dick move worthy of Sierra grade respect.

For the record, I happen to love Indy 3 (I've beaten it like 5 times and it's one of those games I come back to every 5 or so years), so don't think I'm trying to rag on it or anything. The fact that there are multiple solutions is actually pretty neat, and I usually find something new every time I play the game. I just happen to think it has some fairly mean stuff going for it.

P.S. you can put Indy 3 into an unwinnable state at least once, and I don't mean an obvious unwinnable state. I'd like to say twice, but I can only name the one time off the top of my head. Another classic normally-Sierra gently caress You.

mauman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 10, 2017

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Didn't Last Crusade have a sucker punch key that let you skip a fight, or am I thinking of Fate of Atlantis?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Turns out I don't have much to say about KQ, even though I used to love talking about it. The thread did discuss Police Quest though, so I feel obliged to point out Richard Cobbett's take and that the forums have a good LP of PQ 1-2.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Welcome back everyone. Last time, we left off outside of this intriguing looking house in the middle of the dark, foreboding woods. This gingerbread house is on F-5, two screens west of the walnut tree. The screens immediately east and south of this house are the "Dark Forest" tiles on the map, and should be considered dangerous.

How dangerous? Well, there's a random chance while on the dark forest tiles that you'll hear a high pitched cackling followed by dangerous music.

: With a screech and a cackle, a witch swoops down from the skies above. Look out! She dips and turns and tries to catch Graham.

: She's got him! She grabs Graham by the neck with an iron grip, and carries him off to her cottage deep in the forest.

By the way, from the second the witch touches you, you're locked into an extended death sequence.

: Ouch!
: As the wicked witch flew over her cottage, she dropped Graham straight through the roof and into her cage. Who knows what sinister plans she has in store for him?

We just got added to the witch's collection.

God DAMMIT. Not from the death, no. That's to be expected in a King's Quest title. That pun. Oh my god, that pun. That was physically painful.

Let's move on. This lake is found at G-2, just one screen west of the screen where we found the dagger.

: On the beach are some smooth, round pebbles. Graham grabs some and pockets them.
: What can I say, it seems like everything you pick up in this kingdom is made of gold in some fashion. I'm just hedging my bets. If nothing else I can throw them at that sneak thief of a dwarf if I see him again.

Like the carrots before them, the pebbles on this screen are available in infinite quantities. You can only ever have one set of pebbles in your inventory, but if you run out you can get more without fear of running out.

Two screens west, on E-2 we can find this seemingly empty screen. While you might initially think the fallen log has treasure, it's just a red herring.

: Inside the rotting stump Graham notices a small leather pouch. As he lifts it out, he can feel the contents shifting inside.

: When Graham peeks inside the leather pouch he discovers it is filled with diamonds!
: Cautiously, Graham opens the pouch and sees many sparkling and flashing diamonds! Quickly, he closes it again so as not to lose any.

: Do you see what I mean? Priceless valuables just left discarded in a rotting tree stump within sight of the castle. I'm pretty sure this alone justifies me picking up anything I can lay my hands on.

: Graham is carrying 5 smooth, rounded pebbles.
: They feel rock solid. :rimshot:

Just north of the diamond-filled tree stump, we find a little goat pen. (E-1) This is a dick move by the game waiting to happen. For the love of all that is good and holy, do not open the gate and leave the screen. If you do, you are no longer able to get the maximum number of points. We'll just leave the goat alone for now.

The well is one screen east of the goat pen, and is one of the most important locations in the game. First off, that bucket and the crank both stand out like a sore thumb.

: This weathered old bucket has served the kingdom for years and years. It still holds water as well as it did on the day it was made.

This is something I didn't even realize you could do until I tried it.

Either that bucket is massive or Graham is a tiny man.

: Graham climbs into the bucket. His weight causes it to slowly descend.

While we ultimately want to take a swim in this underwater reservoir, we need the bucket for something in a moment. We can simply climb the rope and leave the well that way.

: Graham climbs up the rope and out of the well. Once back out, he turns the crank to return the bucket to the surface. Kids used to call riding the bucket a Daventry Joyride. Guess Graham was reliving his youth.

Once more with feeling!

: Graham cuts the rope using the dagger. He takes the old bucket.

Now we can lower the rope with the crank again...

This time we're hanging onto the rope, so we can more easily drop into the water below.

I also wanted to show my saves off, mostly to prove that for all my complaining, I'm just as bad as the narrator.

: Graham lets go of the rope and lands in the water below with a splash. He takes a moment to prepare, then takes a deep breath. Finally, he dives into the darkness below.

Alright, so this screen is there just for a transition between this area and the next. The chest looks tempting, but...

: It looks like this chest has been buried here for a very long time. It isn't the chest Graham is looking for.

It is possible to drown, but it takes almost 19 seconds before Graham suddenly keels over. So unless you have your speed all the way at the lowest for some reason, you have plenty of time to swim all the way over to the small passage in the upper left corner of the shot.

:cripes:

: Graham kneels down and fills the bucket with the cool water.
: I can feel the heat coming from farther on in the cave. Something tells me I'm going to need this.

: Green and scaly, the dragon is massive and muscular. Serrated armor stretches from his tail to his neck, his leathery wings are folded against his sides, and his webbed claws look sharp and deadly.
: The ferocious fire-breathing dragon is protecting the magic mirror, which shimmers with its own magical light.

So this is the first of the three treasures we were sent out to find. We can't steal the mirror while the dragon is still there, and he's guarding the only way out of the cave.

Get close and the dragon wakes up to see what you want.

: Hello the--
: Think again. When this dragon talks, things have a tendency to catch fire.
: Uhh, sorry to bother you.

So the dragon doesn't appear to give a poo poo that we're there. So what happens if we try and get close.

Correction. The dragon doesn't give a poo poo as long as we don't get close. Also that pun. gently caress.

So let's try this instead...

: With unerring aim, the dagger spins through the air and pierces the soft, unprotected skin under the dragon's throat. The Beast convulses for a moment, then crashes, lifeless, to the hard cavern floor.

Hmm. That's both unsatisfying and cruel. It also only got us 3 points. So maybe there's a better way...

Let's try that once more, and do it right this time.

: Hey dragon! SUITON-NO-JUTSU!
: Did you just quote Naruto?
: This is the greatest moment of my life so far. Let me have this.

: Good shot! The water hits the dragon square in the face, dousing his fire.

: Unable to defend himself with anything more than harmless clouds of steam, the dragon rolls aside the granite boulder and slinks off in shame, leaving the mirror behind.

: Graham takes the magic mirror! Congratulations!

:toot: Between "slaying" the dragon and recovering the treasure, we got 13 additional points, as opposed to the 11 we'd have gotten for actually killing it. While 2 measly points may not sound like much, I am going for full points here.

Let's also take a look at our inventory. There's a few items we haven't yet looked at.

: Graham is holding an empty wooden bucket.
[narratpr]: The old bucket has seen many years of use, and is beginning to fall apart. Graham decides not to touch it and make its condition worse.
: It was looking a lot better before someone climbed into it and took it for a ride. Not naming any names...

: This is the magic mirror, one of the three treasures of Daventry.
: The magic mirror's surface is smooth to the touch.

As a bonus, if you use the mirror on Graham...

: As he gazes into the magic mirror, Graham sees a reflection of himself as King of this land of Daventry.

Let's move on. There's an exit to the cave over here. We could have come in this way earlier, but the boulder would have blocked our way into the dragon's lair.

This cave exit is on screen E-6. We're just one screen north of the goat pen. This screen is also incredibly important a little bit later in the game, so just keep it in mind until then.

We're back at the gingerbread house, just one screen north and one screen east of the cave exit. Let's take revenge on that mean old witch...

: Graham, what are you doing?
: I'm knocking on her door so I can give her a stern talking to.
: Well, lucky for you...

: There is no answer from inside the house.

Once inside the house, you're on a strict time limit. You need to hide in the witch's bedroom quickly.

I also have a pretty apt save name for doing stupid poo poo like this. "Dumbassery" sums it up about perfectly, because no sane individual would think to do it.

: From off in the distance, Graham hears a high, squeaky voice.
: I can smell someone tasty in my house.

: *whispering* Graham creeps up on the witch, all sneaky-like.

: I am going to get my cauldron ready to cook someone for dinner. (yum)
: After I get the cauldron nice and hot, I will be ready to have someone for dinner. (cackle)

: Oh no you won't, you evil cannibal!

: With a mighty shove, Graham courageously pushes the wicked witch into the pot. Her wild screams are suddenly cut off as she melts away into the oily green slime. Congratulations!

And with that one act, the witch will no longer harass us on the Dark Forest screens. Other hazards can still pop up, but we've removed one of the fastest ones.

And with that act of revenge, I'm also going to end this update here.

NEXT TIME: That puzzle. You know the one.

List of Points

+2 - Picked up pebbles
+3 - Found a pouch
+3 - It was full of diamonds
+2 - Apparently riding the bucket down the well
+2 - Destruction of public property (taking the bucket)
+4 - Cave diving
+2 - Filling the bucket
+1 - Discovering the dragon
+5 - Dragon "slaying"
+8 - Got the Magic Mirror
+2 - Leaving the cave
+7 - Murdering the witch

Total: 71/158

Register of Deaths

Captured by witch
--The Graham cracker pun
Drowning
--The well pun
Dragonfire
--The ash pun

I'm making special note of puns so bad that they "count" as an extra death.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Since there's a lot of discussion about all sorts of adventure game titles, would other people be interested in doing LPs of those if I turned this into a general adventure games megathread?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Are there not points in this version for eating the house? That's the way I always used in earlier versions to figure out whether or not the witch was inside.

Also, depending on how seriously you take Sierra's sense of humor, Cracker IS canonically Graham's last name.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Does the number of points have any effect beyond serving as a rough 'progress' bar? I know some adventure games have events that only occur when you have a certain number of points or where you have a little running title that changes (e.g., 0-30 "rookie", 30-60 "novice", etc).

DoubleNegative posted:

Since there's a lot of discussion about all sorts of adventure game titles, would other people be interested in doing LPs of those if I turned this into a general adventure games megathread?
If other people contribute LP's, I'd love reading them, but the only ones I've played well enough to show off myself are the King's Quest series and you're rocking it here.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I've been considering starting a stream of the Police Quest series so I might do something for the thread

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I'd like to see some adventure games. I'm never gonna go back and play them so it'd be nice to relive the nostalgia.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nidoking posted:

Also, depending on how seriously you take Sierra's sense of humor, Cracker IS canonically Graham's last name.
I was just about to say that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I might be willing to give an LP a try, although I was always better at text-based adventure games than graphical ones.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not sure that witches brew should actually contain any witches.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poil posted:

I'm not sure that witches brew should actually contain any witches.

It's truth in advertising.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh c'mon the graham cracker pun is golden. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh c'mon the graham cracker pun is golden. :allears:
Agreed. :mmmhmm: DN, just embrace it. Spare yourself further punishment.

• Locked thread