Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh c'mon the graham cracker pun is golden. :allears:

NO

You aren't allowed to make it worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I always thought Graham was his last name. Theodore Graham.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
At least we know Daventry's on the metric system, what with all the ways it has to kill a Graham

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Phy posted:

At least we know Daventry's on the metric system, what with all the ways it has to kill a Graham

:golfclap:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

DoubleNegative posted:

Captured by witch
--The Graham cracker pun
Drowning
--The well pun
Dragonfire
--The ash pun

I'm making special note of puns so bad that they "count" as an extra death.

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh c'mon the graham cracker pun is golden. :allears:

Bregor posted:

I always thought Graham was his last name. Theodore Graham.

Phy posted:

These puns are excellent. :allears:

We'll see how long it takes for DoubleNegative to cracker down on them though.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Phy posted:

Welp, I don't think we're topping this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DoubleNegative posted:

Since there's a lot of discussion about all sorts of adventure game titles, would other people be interested in doing LPs of those if I turned this into a general adventure games megathread?

I'd love to see more adventure game LPs, but I think they'd be better off just having their own threads rather than all being posted in one.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

DoubleNegative posted:

: This is a fine silver dagger, with a very sharp edge! Graham can't read the runes on the blade, but it appears to be an elvish dagger of great antiquity.

This is a reference to the Zork series, specifically 1-3, in which you will always find an elvish sword of great antiquity as an early weapon.

DoubleNegative posted:

: The sneaky little dwarf caught Graham by surprise. Did he steal anything?

I believe the dwarf is a reference to Adventure, the ur-adventure game, in which you will be menaced by various threatening little dwarves.

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, PQ could get away with being more silly since its schtick was trying to be quasi-real w/r/t police procedures. Playing it straight was the emphasis, and it worked fairly well. Jim Walls was brought in because he was off active duty due to a shooting, and Sierra basically made him "lead designer" with no prior programming experience.
Makes me wonder who really did the heavy lifting, since PQ1-3 were actually playable. After Daryl Gates (of the goddamn LA Riots fame) was handed the series, Walls felt he could still do game design and made Blue Force. You haven't heard of it, because even by 1993 standards it was utter poo poo. He tried game design again with a Kickstarter for another police game, which was ended early since he couldn't break $90K.

Edit: Good writeup here: http://www.linehollis.com/2014/02/08/line-on-sierra-police-quest-i/
Edit2: Yeah, it's a little unfair about some of the gameplay/mechanics, but a lot of the history and commentary are on point.

Police Quest 1 is basically "read the manual, because the solutions to 90% of the puzzles are literally just written right in it". Nobody has to like that, of course, but not reading the manual out of spite is obviously going to harm your enjoyment of the game. To add some detail to the history, Walls was on leave because he fatally shot someone. (It took a bit to track that down, back in the day; they were generally pretty nonspecific about it but I found a couple of early interviews which admitted it.)

As for the development of the game itself, to the best of my knowledge it was mostly done by Al Lowe of Leisure Suit Larry fame, with later entries by Mark Crowe. You can kind of see Al at work in the puzzle referenced earlier in the thread where the solution is "don't try to have sex with a speeder".

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 11, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There was a game-breaking thief character in Zork too. My lone playthrough was him looting all my stuff, including my light source, and then being eaten by a grue. The best part was that playing the game was a class assignment.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

At least with the thief in Zork 1, you had a chance to get everything back eventually, assuming you didn't lose your only light source. In fact, one of the puzzle solutions required you to let him steal a particular item from you, because it was locked, and you couldn't open it without wrecking the contents, while he could.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I gotta admit Sierra may have had their flaws but their pun game was always on point. Tea with Erasmus in Quest for Glory is truth to that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest I. Last time we pushed a cannibal witch into her boiling pot and watched her die in shrieking agony. Graham is not a nice dude.

Anyway, now that she's dead, let's loot the place.

: Graham opens the cabinet and peers inside. All he finds is some ripe cheese.
: Yoink!

: In the witch's bedroom, all Graham finds is a note.
: Taking that too!
: Aren't you the least bit worried about invading someone's privacy?
: Oh please. She's dead. She doesn't care about privacy any more.
: Whatever. Graham takes the note from the table.

New items means new item descriptions!

: This is an extremely fragrant piece of Swiss cheese.
: The cheese has enough holes already without you poking more into it!

: There is a message written on the note: 'Sometimes it is wise to think backwards.'

Now let's jump a few minutes back in time, back to before the witch died. We got lucky in the last update in that she wasn't home on our first attempt at entering. Let's see what happens if she is home...

: As Graham knocks on the chocolate door, a squeaky voice from inside the house answers...
: Who is there? I love visitors, especially young, tender ones! Come in, come in!

From there, if you're dumb enough to enter, things play out much the same as they did when the witch stole Graham from the forest. You get the same "Graham cracker" game over pun and everything. Hardly exciting, but chances are pretty good she'll be home when you go to boil her alive. So it pays to know what happens if she is.

Also, while we're here let's take a look at the house.

: This is the most marvelous house Graham has ever seen! It seems like it's made out of a huge gingerbread cupcake, with frosting for a roof. The chimney is made of gummy bricks, the door is made of chocolate, the fence is made of candy canes, and sourball stones and gumdrops are scattered around the yard. The path to the front door is lined with little gingerbread boys and girls.

:smith: Poor kids. But that description made me hungry.

: Yum! The house tastes even better than it looks!

This is something you can only do if the witch is not home. Otherwise she calls you on it and invites you inside.

Let's move on. This little bridge is on screen C-3. If we'd gone right instead of left at the start of the adventure, and then gone down, this would be the screen we'd have arrived on.

: As Graham starts to cross the bridge, a huge, hulking troll stomps into view and blocks his way. It's the ugliest, meanest, nastiest troll that Graham has ever seen, and he doesn't look like he's about to let anybody cross his bridge.

Let's try reasoning with him.

: I say, would you mind awfully... getting out of the way?
: You think yer gonna cross my bridge do you? Not for FREE, you ain't.
: A toll? What toll?
: Yer quite the little chatterbox, aintcha? Well, lemme warn ya, these bridges have been in my family for years and years.
: I'm not paying any toll! This bridge is on the King's land. Now let me pass.
: Nobody, especially not a puny little knight like yerself, has ever passed across one of our bridges without payin' our Troll Toll.
: This is the King's bridge. That's his castle right over there.
: Quit gabbin'. Are you plannin' on paying my toll, or does I hafta get tough?

Now, we've picked up a lot of treasure in our journey. We could easily pay his toll. But it's the principle of the matter. You see, you have to pay him for each crossing and gently caress that noise. At minimum we need to cross twice. Plus, the single most infamous puzzle in the entire drat game, if not the series, is on the other side.

So we're not paying. Maybe we can shove our way past him. We are a knight of King Edward, after all.

: Graham pushes the troll as hard as he can. Unfortunately, the troll doesn't budge an inch.

: Screw it. I don't have to take this kind of shabby treatment.
: You'll be back. They always are.

: Hey wait a second. I have a weapon! Why am I running away?

: Back already? Are ya ready to pay my toll?

: The troll is much bigger than Graham, stronger, and much, MUCH meaner. Better not even try it.

: Uh, nevermind. Sorry to have bothered you.

: You're holding a dagger, you idiot. Did you really think that would work?
: Uhh... maybe?

: How did that old nursery rhyme go? There was a troll, a bridge and...

: A goat!

So here's another one of those "gently caress you" puzzles. The goat randomly wanders around in its pen, going back and forth between D-1 and E-1. If you're playing with dead ends enabled, it is absolutely critical that you Close The Goddamned Gate.

Like so. You see, if the goat leaves the screen that Graham is on, and the pen is open, then he's gone, and you're locked out of maximum points. You not only don't get the points you would have gotten for doing the puzzle this way, you also lose points for paying the Troll Toll.

: I wonder how much a goat even weighs... I bet I could carry it around.
: You wouldn't get very far carrying a goat. Perhaps you can get him to follow you if you'd like to take him somewhere.
: Hint. HINT.
: Oh, I get it. Hey, Mr. Goat would you...

: Goats can't talk, Graham...

Goats like vegetables, right? Well just use the carrot on him!

: Graham shows the goat the carrot. The goat starts following after him.

So here's another difference from the SCI version to the VGA version. In the SCI version, because you had a text parser, you had a little more fine control over exactly what Graham did. So you had to actually type "show carrot to goat" to get it to follow you. If you gave the goat the carrot, it would take it and you'd have to go get another one to try again.

The game is nice enough to give you a warning. The goat is following you, but kind of lazily. So just wait for it to be vaguely nearby before you leave the screen and it'll follow. If you get too far ahead, the goat pulls a Houdini and is gone from the game.

You really have to be trying to get that to happen, though. Here the goat is heading back into the pen, and Graham is leaving the screen.

Despite that, it still counted as close enough. You'd have to purposely get the goat stuck on terrain clear across the screen before you lose it.

Anyway, while leading the goat around, a random event happens. This is on C-1, just one screen west of the goat pen.

Now, there have been some bad portraits in this game. The witch was one, and the troll was another. But this lady here takes the cake. She's easily the most DeviantArt of all of the portraits.

Here's all three next to each other. I want you all to take in the awfulness.

What's sad is the art got a million times better in KQ2 VGA, but the game itself is awful. So, no, I'm not going to be doing King's Quest 2 VGA edition. Anyway, this... abomination... has something she wants to say.

: Gentle Sir Graham, I am your fairy godmother.
: :stare:
: Your quest is indeed noble. What little aid I can offer you is this protective magic spell, effective for but a short while.
: :stonk:
: I shall be watching over you, Sir Graham.

: The fairy turns into a swirling ball of light and flies off just as quickly as she came.
: *to the goat* Can you believe the crap I have to put up with?
: The goat nudges Graham's hand and bleats, while trying to sneakily take a bite of the carrot.

The protective spell the Fairy Godmother gives us lasts 60 seconds and will prevent Graham from dying due to random encounters and "bosses." He can still die from his own stupidity or clumsiness.

For what it's worth, that 60 seconds only ticks down if you're not in a conversation or a menu. So for us it'll last for the next 7 and a half minutes real-time. We'll see next update just where "60 seconds" of protection took us.

: Hey ugly McButtFace, I'm back!
: The troll stomps into view again and sighs.
: Are ya gonna pay up this time, puny?

: It is a well known fact that goats hate trolls intensely. Graham moves aside and watches the troll and goat meet, smirking the whole time.

: The goat lowers his head and runs straight for the troll, butting him right off the bridge and into the river below.

: Graham gives the goat the carrot, and the goat walks off happily, chewing on its well-deserved reward.

Okay that doesn't actually happen. In reality the goat gets tempted by the carrot and then wanders off after defeating the troll.

: This looks like an ordinary carrot.
: The carrot feels hard. It would be very crisp to eat.

Down on screen C-4, we come across yet another fairy tale. Let's just start from the left and go to the right...

: The gnome's house is carved right into the side of the tree.
: Graham sees a wizened old gnome sitting in front of his house, whittling.
: This is the gnome's spinning wheel.
: There is a small pile of straw here.
: This is a pile of gold.

Welcome, folks, to the puzzle. If you know only one thing about King's Quest I, there's almost a 100% chance it will be this loving puzzle. So without further ado...

: Welcome, Sir Graham. I have been expecting you. I have something that will be of great use to you. But first, Sir Graham, you must answer this riddle.
: I'll give you three guesses. What is my name?

Let's get the obvious out of the way...

: Rumplestiltskin?
: Ooooh, very close, very close! But not quite right!

So, remember that note from the witch's house? "Sometimes it is wise to think backwards." That's your only hint for this puzzle. So...

: Nikstlitselpmur? Wait, no, that can't be right.
: Are you suuuure?
: Yeah, give me a minute.
: The gnome rolls his eyes and shakes his head, sighing.

: Graham borrows a quill from the gnome and scribbles some letters on the back of the hint note.

: That's stupid. You already had the corr--

: That's right! Outstanding! I didn't think you were THAT clever.
: :catstare: How... how... HOW?
: I'll explain in a minute.

Before I continue, allow me to quote Ben Croshaw.

"Zero Punctuation, the Walking Dead posted:

First, think of a problem that the player has to get around... like, say, helping a cat down from a tree. Then, think of how a normal, sensible person would solve the issue with the objects that would be close at hand. Then seal your head inside of a half-full vat of boiling chlorine for about twenty minutes, and write down another way you'd solve the problem that at that moment makes perfect sense to your probably fatally poisoned mind. Repeat this process until you have discovered the most circuitous possible solution.

In the original EGA version of the game, the one that came out in 1984, this was the solution to the puzzle. You see, to a normal human brain the hint "Sometimes it's wise to think backwards." means to spell Rumplestiltskin backwards, thus "Nikstlitselpmur". Roberta Williams took "thinking backwards" to mean something entirely different.

She, instead, intended for you to sit down and create an atbash cipher, where you replace all the letters with their reverse. So A=Z, B=Y, C=X, and so on. Spelling Rumplestiltskin through that cipher would get you to the eventual letter jumble "Ifnkovhgroghprm".

Even in 1984, people rightly called bullshit on that. So in the 1990 SCI remake, the game no longer accepted Ifnkovhgroghprm as a valid answer, and only took Nikstlitselpmur or Nikstlitslepmur. Sierra was nice enough, you see, to allow for the E and L to be transposed.

So that's my long-winded explanation for this single dumbest loving puzzle in this game. For what it's worth, the VGA version accepts either response as the correct one.

In any of the three versions, if you fail this puzzle, you're not locked out of beating the game. You instead have to do things the hard way. I don't have failure dialogue on hand for that, as I've never actually failed this puzzle. Thanks to cultural osmosis, I've known the answer for longer than I've been playing this game.

Now back to the LP update already in progress...

: As a reward for your sharp intellect, here are some beans. They're no ordinary beans, but it's up to you to find out why. Somebody as smart as yourself should have problem at all.
: The gnome hands Graham some beans and goes into his house. Graham can hear the sound of locks clicking.

: Well?
: Well what?
: Care to explain how you came up with that incomprehensible gibberish?
: You've never heard of an atbash cipher?
: No.
: It's the world's easiest cipher to break. It was used in biblical times, for crying out loud.
: And what made your mind jump to an atbash cipher first, instead of spelling Rumplestiltskin backwards?
: Because Nikstlitselpmur was too easy of an answer. So it had to be an atbash cipher. It's the same reason I threw that bucket of water at the dragon instead of killing it. Gotta take the hard road for the best outcome.
: That's... that's the dumbest thing you've ever said.

Two screens south of the gnome, on C-6 we find a patch of clover surrounded by fruit trees.

: An unusual clover glistens in the middle of the field. Graham carefully picks it and discovers that it's a four-leaf clover!

Anyway, this is one of two locations we can do this puzzle at. The other is a flowery meadow at E-4, which is two screens to the east from the gnome. The flowery meadow has a lot of wildflowers growing there, and this little clover patch is full of greenery.

: The clover patch is thick with small three-leaf clovers, and lovely fruit trees have blossomed early this year.

Those are pretty much your only hints for the puzzle. You just have to find fertile soil and plant the beans there. You all know what's coming...

: Graham is holding a handful of small beans.
: When Graham touches the magical beans, his hands take on a tingling sensation.

: Graham plants the magical beans in the fertile soil. Suddenly, something incredible begins to happen!

I tried to create a gif, but it was 14 MB because the screen was shaking. Anyway, that's enough of this for now.

NEXT TIME: We climb the beanstalk.

List of Points:

+2 - Opening the Cabinet
+2 - Taking the Cheese
+1 - Taking the Note
+2 - Reading the Note
+2 - Eating the witch out of house and home
+5 - The taming of the goat
+4 - Goats hate trolls
+9 - Ifnkovhgroghprm
+2 - Four-leaf clover
+2 - Graham and the beanstalk

Total: 102/158

Register of Deaths

None this time, despite trying to provoke the troll.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
And here I was thinking the game wanted us to kniht something...

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Welcome, folks, to the puzzle. If you know only one thing about King's Quest I, there's almost a 100% chance it will be this loving puzzle.

Can confirm. Never played the game, know how to answer that bullshit puzzle.

Really enjoying the LP, DN!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I told my sister the proper gibberish answer to the gnome's riddle. Her exact response was "How the *gently caress* were you supposed to know that!?"

Not surprisingly, this is about the point where she gave up on KQ1.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

That puzzle was one of the first things I ran into in this game. As a lad, I tried a good couple dozen potential solutions to it at various points. I never connected the clue in the house to this puzzle in the first place, and even if I had, I never would have gotten the answer right. (This was the EGA version.)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Lots of shade being thrown at KQ2 here. You mean throwing a bridle at a snake you find blocking your way on a mountain is not the epitome of puzzle games?!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sage Grimm posted:

Lots of shade being thrown at KQ2 here. You mean throwing a bridle at a snake you find blocking your way on a mountain is not the epitome of puzzle games?!

Nah, the shade here is being thrown at the AGDI remake of KQ2, which added a lot of content, for better or for worse.

For me, though...my father actually managed (at my request) to walk Graham into the castle guarded by poisonous thorns without getting the appropriate item first. You thought that Space Quest scene was bad?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That was how my parents did that section of the game too. And then my brother and I did the same thing because we had watched them do it that way. Loads of saving and reloading, in both directions! There was usually a save just after reaching the door and then another on the way back to Charon when we got sick and tired of doing it manually.

It was only when I was messing around a year later that I found that it wasn't the intended way! :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tiggum posted:

It was so common that there were programs specifically designed to do nothing but slow down your computer, and DOSBox has it as a built-in option.

I first did this for the old Magic the Gathering Shandalar game, which I should probably replay since it was awesome. :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DoubleNegative posted:

In the original EGA version of the game, the one that came out in 1984, this was the solution to the puzzle. You see, to a normal human brain the hint "Sometimes it's wise to think backwards." means to spell Rumplestiltskin backwards, thus "Nikstlitselpmur". Roberta Williams took "thinking backwards" to mean something entirely different.

She, instead, intended for you to sit down and create an atbash cipher, where you replace all the letters with their reverse. So A=Z, B=Y, C=X, and so on. Spelling Rumplestiltskin through that cipher would get you to the eventual letter jumble "Ifnkovhgroghprm".

Even in 1984, people rightly called bullshit on that. So in the 1990 SCI remake, the game no longer accepted Ifnkovhgroghprm as a valid answer, and only took Nikstlitselpmur or Nikstlitslepmur. Sierra was nice enough, you see, to allow for the E and L to be transposed.
You forgot to mention how the original version of the puzzle didn't just expect you to figure out the cipher, but also used the less common spelling of "Rumpelstiltskin". That's what the switching L and E around in the remake is about. So even if you knew to try the reverse alphabet version, you probably still got told it was the wrong answer. :haw:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I first did this for the old Magic the Gathering Shandalar game, which I should probably replay since it was awesome. :v:
I never even bothered playing the RPG part of that, it seemed like a bit of a pain. I just played the separate duel mode, which was great. I was tempted to load it up again recently but it turns out i's a bit of a hassle to get running on modern computers.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Tiggum posted:

I never even bothered playing the RPG part of that, it seemed like a bit of a pain. I just played the separate duel mode, which was great. I was tempted to load it up again recently but it turns out i's a bit of a hassle to get running on modern computers.

In many ways, Shandalar was pretty much an ideally awesome single-player MtG experience despite its general jank and age - vaguely sandbox-ey, with a general goal of "beat these wizards before time limit" and gimmicky twists that upset the normal order of the game. When the player's deck is small, the player is limited on the number of the same non-land cards until he reaches what would normally be the standard 60 card deck size. The AI is simplistic but passable and is given decks that don't require a lot of high-level play. "Dungeons" offer added challenges by placing arbitrary restrictions on the player or by offering starting advantages such as beginning with creatures in play, and the game encourages you to build multiple decks - if nothing else, to deal with dungeons that might have a restriction that cripples the main deck that you're using.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I think I forgot all the Sierra Hard, as a defense mechanism or something.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I just remember the answer to the question being rumplestiltskin. Did I get a bad version of the game or something​? Wasn't backwards or anything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is the cat hair puzzle of KQ.

I thought the KQ2 vga remake was a huge improvement over "KQ2 - More KQ", which had absolutely zero innovations over 1. It was also a lot less ported than the original. KQ1 made it onto every system, including the NES.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Xander77 posted:

This is the cat hair puzzle of KQ.

I thought the KQ2 vga remake was a huge improvement over "KQ2 - More KQ", which had absolutely zero innovations over 1. It was also a lot less ported than the original. KQ1 made it onto every system, including the NES.

KQ5 was ported to the NES. I didn't think anything earlier was.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Prism posted:

KQ5 was ported to the NES. I didn't think anything earlier was.
My bad, it was actually Sega:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddPTymAiN2Y

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
That's some turbo bullshit on that puzzle right there :catstare:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mikl posted:

That's some turbo bullshit on that puzzle right there :catstare:

About 90% of the time spent playing games like this is you wandering around aimlessly or doing brute force trial-and-error to try and figure out what the hell is going on. They really knew how to pad things out back then.

I'm sure it also didn't hurt that hint lines and (printed) walkthroughs were big before the internet took off.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

About 90% of the time spent playing games like this is you wandering around aimlessly or doing brute force trial-and-error to try and figure out what the hell is going on. They really knew how to pad things out back then.

I'm sure it also didn't hurt that hint lines and (printed) walkthroughs were big before the internet took off.

The hint books with the awesome scented markers. Ah, memories...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, and welcome back to King's Quest I. I think my newest save adequately describes how I feel about this upcoming segment. I also apologize for my lovely save names. They limit space or I would have used "Rolling with the Gnomie."

Yes, I'm aware that doesn't make it any better.

: This mighty beanstalk stretches up so high, it vanishes into the clouds above.

Merely clicking your hand icon on the beanstalk will get Graham started. He climbs up the first bit by himself, to lull you into a false sense of security.

There's only a casual relationship with Graham's position and staying on the beanstalk. Because of this fact, I'm going to save scum it. For what it's worth, if you try to use the hand icon on the second screen...

: Graham is already climbing the beanstalk. Be careful!

To move around now, you need to navigate with the walk icon.

In this shot, Graham is perfectly safe despite doing his best hoverhands with the beanstalk.

In this shot, Graham is also safe. Seems logical right? There's a problem. If he moves up one more pixel, he's in a kill zone. Don't believe me?

Why did he die? King's Quest I is loving spiteful.

I give it a 6/10 on the Geop scale. A decent pun, but not one of the awful groaners.

Moving on to the next screen, the beanstalk winds around again. So just imagine more carefully moving by inches and saving constantly.

: At long last, Graham sees the tip of the beanstalk, thinning and curling as it emerges from the cloud layer below.

Finally, on the third vertical screen, the beanstalk ends and we're allowed to walk on... clouds. As long as you walk to the right in a straight line, you'll be fine. Veer up, down, or left, and you go tumbling.

: What a beautiful sight! The clouds stretch out in every direction. Near the beanstalk, they even seem thick enough to stand on.

One screen west...

: Graham finds himself in the Land of the Clouds. It is rumored that a giant lives up here.

Now that we're in the rainbow forest, we're in a smaller open world area. There's two rows of three screens making up Cloudland, and only three of them have anything worthwhile.

: The weirdly-shaped trees tower over Graham.
: Ye best be careful, young Graham. The mystic protective spell of mine has weakened and departed.

So yeah, the spell lasted from before we did the Rumplestiltskin riddle until now. Ironically we're only one screen away from where it would have actually been useful.

: The clouds drift over the edge of the land here, making it impossible to see where the land ends! Though the clouds look very thick, it would be unwise to venture toof ar out into them.

We started in the upper left corner of the 2x3 grid of screens. We're now in the lower right corner by way of down around the outside edge. There's a "boss" encounter in the upper middle screen, you see.

Anyway, you see that little hole in the tree? Let's investigate.

: There is a small, dark hole in the base of this tree. But Graham need to get closer for a better look.
: Twist my arm, why don't you?
: Graham reaches into the hole and finds a leather slingshot.

So do you remember last time when I was discussing failing the gnome's riddle? Well in the event you fail to correctly guess Nikstlitselpmur inside of three chances, you are instead given a small golden key. That key unlocks a door on screen H-6, one screen north of the oak tree.

I'll show the inside of the cave off in a few minutes, but all you need to know for now is that the door on H-6 dumps you out here. Anyway, time to fight the only real "boss" in the game. The dragon hardly counts, and the guardian of the third treasure is a minor puzzle instead.

This is the giant that lives up here in Cloudland.

And he's holding the enchanted chest that is always filled with coins.

: Graham, what are you doing?
: What does it look like?
: It looks like you're running in circles around a tree.
: *slightly winded* Well you've got the right of it...
: Some knight you are.

So in the likely event you let the giant catch up to you, he's not kind.

Let's be honest here, it's really hard to to Graham cracker.

Anyway, what you're supposed to do here is play ring-round-the-rosie for 20 seconds.

: The giant is getting tired of looking for Graham. Seems like he may be getting ready to take a nap.

Once you get this message, you only need to run for a few seconds more.

: Good job! The huge giant, tuckered out from stomping around, has fallen fast asleep.
: Graham, you are the worst knight.
: Yes, but I'm alive.

: Slowly, carefully, Graham takes the chest without waking the giant.

This is actually a kindness in the VGA remake. In the EGA and SCI versions, you had to run from or hide from the giant for almost a full minute. In my test run in the SCI version, I got caught and "killed" at the last second. Once the giant finished stomping on Graham, he walked over and instantly fell asleep, leaving me in control of Graham's squished sprite. I really wish I had recorded it, because it was pretty drat funny.

Oh and here's some item descriptions...

: This is a small, but sturdy slingshot.
: Graham gives the sling's band a few flicks to test its durability. It still feels usable.

: This magic chest, one of the three lost treasures of Daventry, is always filled with gold coins.
: Graham is dazzled by the countless supply of gold coins spilling from the magic chest. He quickly closes the lid.

Once the giant is asleep, you can do anything and he won't wake up. You can also use the elf's ring to get the same outcome, but without the chance of dying.

There's a third method to kill the giant, but it gets you less points. So let's review...

We're back before the giant fight, and the solution is already on screen. We got the slingshot up here, and I'm sure you remember the rocks we found on the lake shore.

It's that easy. No fanfare, no muss, no fuss. You also only get 3 points instead of 7 for killing the giant. You also have to be careful where you kill the giant, because if the treasure drops behind a tree, then it is permanently unrecoverable.

Anyway, we climbed up the beanstalk, so let's return by way of the cavern system.

There are three "platforming" screens like this, where Graham has to navigate around these precarious platforms. If you tell him to walk a long distance, the chances of him walking right off the edge and to his death shoot up to almost 100%. Like the oak tree branch and the beanstalk before, this is a trip best taken in short distances.

Oh and for an extra dose of "gently caress you" the Dwarf can appear on these screens. The chances of him appearing increase the longer you linger on them. So you need to be both careful and fast.

You see, if the Dwarf appears, your only recourse is to leave the screen to despawn him. Or, if you have the magic ring, you can put it on to make him go away. But like the fairy's protection, the ring only lasts 60 seconds. So you best make them count. You can, at least, take the ring off when you don't need it.

Like I said, short distances and you'll get through in no time.

This second screen is where the caves really get going. There's a pretty good chance that the Dwarf will dart out of the dark hallway directly in front of Graham when you enter this screen.

Second verse, same as the first really.

The penultimate screen is where I always seem to have the most trouble. It's the winding bit in the middle that always throws me off.

Here's a nice timelapse of walking across the screen. Each time Graham seems to jump forward is the gif skipping 50 frames of animation.

I don't know why I have the talk icon selected. Anyway, before we leave the cave, let's discuss how this was different in the EGA version of the game.

In the 1984 release, the caves weren't a stupid platforming segment. They were, instead, just a couple screens where Graham had to walk up a staircase in the mountain. The Dwarf could still ambush you, but it was a lot harder to fall down.

For some unknown reason, Sierra decided to make it so that the staircase became a platforming challenge in the 1990 SCI version and AGDI copied the change because it's a direct port.

Anyway, the way out is this door up here. I mentioned it was locked, but Sierra can be kind developers too.

: As Graham reaches out to touch the door...

So here we are, back on solid ground, on screen H-6. We only have one more major puzzle to solve before we're at the end of the game. So let's go take care of that quickly.

This little run-down hut is on F-3, two screens north of the Gingerbread House, and two screens south of the Old Well. The front door here is more-or-less as close to the middle of the map as you can get.

: The woodcutter speaks to you, his voice broken with sorrow.
: Who are you, good sir?
: I'm Graham, a knight of the realm.

: We would welcome you to our home, Sir Knight, but we have had no food for so long, my beautiful wife cannot even rise from her bed. I fear she may die soon.
: That's awful. I'm so sorry!
: The woodcutter, still gazing at his wife's pale face, does not seem to hear Graham.

So, if you think back several updates, you may remember we got an enchanted bowl.

: Graham retrieves the enchanted bowl from his pack, catches the woodcutter's attention and holds it out.
: Fill.

: To the woodcutter's astonishment, a hot savory stew begins to bubble up from the bottom of the bowl. Within moments, it is full.
: You have more need of this than I do. This bowl will fill with food whenever you tell it to.
: The woodcutter is overwhelmed with joy.
: Thank you, thank you, Sir Knight! We shall never forget your kindness and generosity. Please, take my fiddle as a small token of our thanks.
: Graham takes the fiddle and leaves to give the woodcutter and his wife some privacy.

And with that quest out of the way, we are now fully equipped to beat this game with maximum points. So let's set out to get that third treasure.

Despite playing the game half a dozen times, I immediately get lost looking for the one screen that will let me progress. But it does let me show off the last dangerous screen. This is G-1, directly to the west of the oak tree. The map simply describes this screen as "wolf".

: Without warning, a wolf darts out of the bushes and runs straight for Graham. Look out! Don't let him catch you!

This wolf moves incredibly fast, and if you aren't on the edge of the screen when it shows up, then you probably are going to die. There is never any need to be on screen G-1, so it's quite easy to avoid dying in this fashion.

Here's the flower filled meadow I mentioned in the last update. This is screen E-4, and it's two screens east of the gnome's house, or three screens south (or north!) of the goat pen.

I wandered around aimlessly for 5 straight minutes looking for this one screen. This is E-6, one screen north of the goat pen, or two south of the flowery meadow. We've been here before. This is the exit of the cave connected to the well.

See that condor? That's our ticket to the end of the game. We have to click on him just before he passes overhead. This condor's move speed is connected to Graham's walking speed.

So, for best results crank that slider all the way to minimum. Next, you're going to want to stand on those pebbles. You see them in the middle of the screen? Yeah, stand there. Then you just have to click on the condor when he's roughly at the spot he's at in the screenshot.

: With a mighty leap, Graham grabs hold of the condor's talons.

That will be enough for now.

NEXT TIME: We finish King's Quest I. I told you it was short.

Oh, and the woodcutter scene was all heartwarming and junk right? Well, take a look at his portrait when he's talking...

:cripes: The portraits in this game... he's got a serious case of meth mouth.

List of Points

+2 - Climbing the Beanstalk
+2 - Finding a slingshot
+7 - Graham the Coward
+8 - Got the enchanted chest
+2 - Filled the bowl (again)
+3 - Fed a starving couple
+3 - Got the fiddle
+3 - Condor taxi ride

Total: 132/158

Register of Deaths

Graham vs Gravity - x2
Goomba Stomped

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Shame they didn't have the death by giant go something like

FEET FLY, GO THUMP
I SMELL THE BLOOD OF AN ENGLISH MAN (said mun)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
You can remove the ring in this version? I'm pretty sure that if you prematurely removed the ring in the AGI version, at least, Graham would drop it and it would be gone forever.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Are you going to post the map before closing the game out? This one doesn't seem to have any one-way twisty passages but it'd be nice to see where we've been.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

Are you going to post the map before closing the game out? This one doesn't seem to have any one-way twisty passages but it'd be nice to see where we've been.

I linked to it in the second update, but here it is again.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We just found that bowl out in the middle of a field, right?

Well, I suppose you'd be disinclined to pick up a wooden bowl unless you were a protagonist anyway. ('A bowl! I found a bowl! Good for me!")

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Glazius posted:

We just found that bowl out in the middle of a field, right?

See, it was a field - the woodcutter had no business there! A forest in the other hand...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, and welcome back to King's Quest I. In spite of everything going against us, we've finally reached the endgame. Only three puzzles stand between us and becoming King Graham.

First of all, let's get our bearings. We're on screen B-3, which is directly south from the castle. The bridge where the goat knocked the troll into the river is directly to the east, but the way is blocked by some rocks.

: A large bulbous mushroom grows in the meadow.

This is of crucial importance. Here on screen A-3 is a single mushroom. Do not enter that hole on the previous screen without this mushroom. It is the game's final "gently caress you" in that this item is 100% necessary to win.

I don't believe I've ever looked at this screen before, but this is directly south of the clearing on B-3. You could conceivably approach from the south, but there's never a need to do so.

Here's a look at our inventory. I mostly want to show the mushroom, as it's red with speckles on top. Unless I'm mistaken, that usually indicates a fly agaric. This will come into play later.

: This is the woodcutter's old fiddle.
: The fine old fiddle has been beautifully carved.

: This is a small, unusual-looking mushroom.
: Careful! You do not wish to damage the delicate mushroom.

With that business out of the way, let's drop into the hole in the ground.

This small cave system is a straight shot to the goal, so there's no getting lost.

One screen down...

And one screen west.

Yeah, I went there.

: The rat grins crookedly, his long, pointed fangs glistening in the torchlight.
: That's right, mister, just walk a little closer...

: Hell there, my friend. You looking for anything in particular? You wanna pass through my little door here, right? Well, maybe we can work somethin' out. What's it worth to you?

: Keeping in mind the rat's remarkable agility and even more remarkable fangs, Graham decides not to risk an attack.

The narrator says this if you use your hand icon on the rat, if you use the dagger on the rat, or if you try to shoot the rat with the slingshot. Violence is not the answer here.

Maybe we can just slide past him...

Or not. Maybe we can sneak by instead with the elf's invisbility ring...

: Graham places the shimering ring upon his finger. As he rubs it, he turns invisible!

Graham is transparent beneath the speak icon. That's how you know he's invisible.

: Using his sense of smell to guide him, the rat attacks Graham. In the scuffle, the ring falls off, making him visible again.

And from there it's the same death again.

Bribery does work. In this case we're giving him a golden walnut.

: Some sort of treasure? Now you're talkin', mister. Lemme see some of that treasure.
: The rat takes the treasure from Graham's hand.

And then the rat poofs out of existence. Seems all well and good, except giving away our treasure made us lose three points. So instead of losing points, here's the actual solution.

: Graham offers the rat a piece of cheese.
: Cheese? Well, yeah, now that you mention it, I guess I am kinda hungry...
: The rat drools at the sight of the cheese, and snatches it from Graham. You might want to count your fingers...

In this one case, there's special dialogue for using the eye icon on yourself...

: One, two, three, four...
: Amazingly enough, Graham still has all his fingers!

That's one puzzle down, and we're immediately thrust into the second. Like the rat, there's an easy way to solve this puzzle.

: Oh no! There are leprechaun guards here... and they don't look pleased to see Graham at all. What is he going to do now?

If you try using a weapon on them...

: Don't even try it. They're more agile than Graham, and they outnumber him.
: The leprechaun king's magic does not permit Graham to use weapons in the throne room. Thus, while the sling is still in his pocket, he finds himself entirely unable to put it in his hand.

So what's the easy solution?

: With a genuine four-leaf clover in his possession, the leprechauns fear and respect Graham. Rather than risk offending him, they decide to leave him entirely alone.

Yeah. If you thought to search the clover patch and pick the clover from it, you can simply stroll through the penultimate puzzle in the game and suffer no consequences. I don't have a recording of it because it would take too long to get. But if you don't have a clover and you come to the endgame, you get a game over where Graham spends the rest of his days peeling potatoes.

: The leprechauns, sensing the power of the four-leaf clover, begin to vanish.

And then you're free to pick up the shield. The simple act of doing nothing gets you no points. But that's not satisfying at all is it?

So let's reload one last time and do it right.

Last save of the game right here.

The leprechaun guards stare menacingly at you for a long time before they decide to attack. So you have plenty of time to try literally everything in your inventory. In this case, the correct answer is to use the fiddle.

: Wonderful job! Leprechauns find fiddle music irresistible. The moment they hear the music, they begin dancing a frenzied jig.

Graham continues playing for a while here, with the guards dancing the whole time. Incidentally, this scene is why I'm doing a LP of the VGA version. I got to this point in the SCI version and the game bugged out and refused to fire the next script once I started playing the fiddle, leaving Graham playing indefinitely.

: Hearing the fiddle music Graham played in the hallway, the leprechauns have begun to dance! As they do, they pop away in a fit of merry making.

The leprechauns all individually disappear, except for the king.

The king dances out of the hall instead.

However, more importantly, the king will leave behind his scepter when he dances out of the hall. If you walk through with the clover, he takes it with him.

: This is a rather simple stone throne, upon which sits the leprechaun king's jeweled scepter.
: The scepter is fashioned from gold and silver, and accented with emeralds.
: The shield is made of titanium and is rimmed with jewels.
: Please don't move the carpet. It hides the dandelion wine stains on the floor.

So yeah, let's claim our prizes and get the hell out of here.

: Graham takes both the leprechaun king's scepter and the magic shield.

: This jeweled scepter belongs to the king of the leprechauns.
: It's long. It's hard. And it feels exactly the same way.

: This is the magic shield, one of the three treasures of Daventry.
: The magic shield of Daventry is incredibly light. You could easily forget that you were carrying it.

So let's move on to the final puzzle.

: This small hole leads to the outside world. Graham is much too big to fit through it.

You remember the mushroom? The fly agaric? Well...

: Graham eats the mushroom.

Fly agaric is a hallucinogenic. So in reality, Graham would now be tripping balls. But because this is fantasy land, there are no adverse side effects.

: Congratulations! Graham now has all three of Daventry's lost treasures! Now don't waste any time. Bring the treasures straight back to King Edward before it's too late.

We emerge on screen G-4, what the map calls "Boulders". From here, we simply need to make our way over to the castle on B-2. The simmplest way is probably to go East 1, North 2, East 1.

: I shouldn't have eaten that mushroom...

We end the game where we started it. Once we use the hand icon on the portcullis, we've won!

: That's odd. Why aren't the guards at their posts?

: This courtyard is deserted. Where are all the Lords and Ladies of King Edward's court? Something's not right here..

: Oh crap! The king!

: Graham can faintly hear a commotion to the King's Chamber to the west. He rushes into the throne room.

: There is nothing to be done. Our King's melancholy is too much for his heart to bear. If only Sir Graham had returned with the three lost treasures of Daventry...

: The nobles gasp and murmur amongst themselves as Graham strides to the throne with purpose in his steps.

: Your Highness, I am at your service.
: Did... did you succeed in your quest?
: I did, your Majesty... Here, as you commanded...

: The magic mirror... the magic shield... and the magic chest.

: I... I am afraid it is a little too late for me. But you have done superbly, my Knight. As I promised, the crown is yours.
: My King, I was gone for a few hours at the most. Surely your melancholy is not so great as to claim your life in so short a time.
: I saw you wandering around on your quest and... I apologize, but you know how I worry. It just grew too burdensome to bear...

: I know you will serve this kingdom well.

: The king is dead.

: Long live the King!
: You were really broken up about it, weren't you?
: We knew it was coming soon. I'm just relieved that he chose an heir. The last thing Daventry needs is a succession crisis.

: And thus ended Sir Graham's quest for the lost treasures of Daventry. Despite the loss of their beloved King Edward, the people of Daventry grew happy and prosperous for years to come.
: And whenever King Graham looked into his magic mirror, he saw visions of adventures yet to come... for him, for his children, and for Daventry, the land he loved so much.

: Congratulations! You scored the full 158 points! Thanks for playing. We hope you enjoyed King's Quest I VGA.

Well, I know I did. I've loved this series since I was a child, and it was fun to revisit a classic. Hopefully you all enjoyed reading it as well. Before we leave, let's take a look at our stats.

Total List of Points

+2 - Rolled the Rock
+5 - Took the Dagger
+2 - Climbed the Tree
+6 - Robbed the nest
+2 - Took a Carrot "for luck"
+3 - Got a ring from an elf
+3 - Picked up a bowl
+3 - Picked up a walnut
+3 - Found gold in walnut
+1 - Read bowl inscription
+2 - Filled bowl with stew
-2 - Ate the stew
+2 - Picked up pebbles
+3 - Found a pouch
+3 - It was full of diamonds
+2 - Riding a bucket
+2 - Grand theft bucket
+4 - Cave diving
+2 - Filling the bucket
+1 - Discovering the dragon
+5 - Dragon "slaying"
+8 - Got the Magic Mirror
+2 - Leaving the cave
+7 - Murdering the witch
+2 - Opening the Cabinet
+2 - Taking the Cheese
+1 - Taking the Note
+2 - Reading the Note
+2 - Eating the witch out of house and home
+5 - The taming of the goat
+4 - Goats hate trolls
+9 - Ifnkovhgroghprm
+2 - Four-leaf clover
+2 - Graham and the beanstalk
+2 - Climbing the Beanstalk
+2 - Finding a slingshot
+7 - Graham the Coward
+8 - Got the enchanted chest
+2 - Filled the bowl (again)
+3 - Fed a starving couple
+3 - Got the fiddle
+3 - Condor taxi ride
+1 - Picking a mushroom
+2 - Fed a rat
+3 - Graham the musician
+6 - Took the scepter
+8 - Took the magic shield
+3 - Took mushrooms
+3 - Raise the portcullis!

Final Total: 158/158 Points

Total Register of Deaths

Drowned in a moat
Crushed by a rock
Captured by witch
--The Graham cracker pun
Drowning
--The well pun
Dragonfire
--The ash pun
Graham vs Gravity - x2
Goomba Stomped
Mauled by a rat - x2

Final Total

10 Deaths, 3 Bad Puns

And with those stats, we're done with King's Quest I. Take it easy guys!

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

That was surprisingly quick. Neat, but quick.

Thanks for the LP - are you going to move on to other KQ games, or is this it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Very nicely done. KQ1 was a little more free-form than I'd expected (multiple items you could give away for puzzles for various point levels etc.).

• Locked thread