Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Right.

I'm all caught up now.

KQV was the first puzzle game I ever played. The first ever was Prince of Persia (because of course it was), but that one I wound up with after the guy I bought my computer with "threw it in" along with a bunch of floppies that had WordStar and Lotus 1-2-3.

But this one was the first that I got which came in a wonderful box with manuals and pictures, and it was so beautiful. And I hated it. I utterly, utterly hated playing it, and I got so frustrated with it. Never finished it, and never touched another "Quest" game ever.

So, good on yer, Double Negative, for going through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, the perspective on that lamp is confusing. It looks like we could jump for it, until you follow the tree to see its trunk on the other side.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone, and welcome back to King's Quest VI.

Before we trigger the exam puzzle, let's get some optional points by helping this oyster with his mouthache.

: If you're having trouble sleeping, perhaps you'd like me to read to you.
: Hey! That would be great!

King's Quest VI - The Oyster

This is a timed puzzle, similar to King's Quest V. You've only got 3 chances to pass it before the chance to do so is forever lost. Unlike the last game, all that you lose out on are a bunch of points and some alternate dialogue in the ending. But we're in this for full points. Also, it sucks to lie awake in bed because of pain. I know all too well what that feels like, so let's help this little fellow out.

: Two dulcimas raised to the degree of forty halfdulcimas, divided into equal parts by the third of a cackle of grouse geese, put over the result of ten finemackels (albeit small finemackels), stretched over the total of fifty-three and an eighth bottles of wildebeast lard...

You've got a few seconds to grab for the pearl when the oyster yawns. Like I said above, you get three chances, one for each break in this incredibly dry mathematics textbook.

: ...yields a gilded minnow of precise measurements; two thousand sixty-nine centidrils by three million twenty-three and six-sevenths punds (NOT punts, as might be expected). This is not to say, however, in any sense, whatsoever, that deviations in mean temperature of five or six dregs or so...
: ...indicate a fabrication or derivation sufficiently broad enough to exacerbate the conclusions uncovered, in due course, with regards to the dimensions, consistency, mass, or thickness inherent in the menial suckling grouse.

Fail to grab the pearl and...

: The poor little oyster falls into an uneasy sleep, though it's clear he is still not resting easy.

But all you have to do is pearl in the short window available.

: Alexander makes a grab for the pearl.
: Hey! You fixed my mouth! It feels great! I... I...
: Aww! The little oyster drifts into peaceful slumber with the rest of his oyster friends.

: The flawless pearl is the largest Alexander's ever seen.
: Alexander turns the pearl slowly in his hand and sees its opaque white hue melt into iridescent colors.

We'll put this pearl to good use in a bit. First, though, is the meat of today's update... the first exam puzzle.

east

: Alexander hears someone coming.

King's Quest VI - The Gnome Guardians **Recommended Listening**

: Five fierce guards of the Isle we be!
Watch for a foreign man, said he!
With ears and nose, tongue, hands, and eyes.
Its nature cannot be disguised.
If man it be, then man it dies!

: Old Tom Trow, smell your smell.
Do that which you do so well.

The gimmick here is pretty obvious. Now if you think about the items we picked up in the past several updates, you can see why I got some of them. By the way, I'm going the extra length and showing off failures here.

You get about 15 seconds to solve each puzzle. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's more than enough time.

: Alert, my brothers, as we feared!
A man, a man, has landed here!

: A man, a man, so say our nose!
Into the waiting sea he goes!

I think our problem here is that they did reach a consensus. Alternatively, it's because Alexander's garlic habit has finally betrayed him.

So we only have one item in our inventory that has anything to do with stench. So...

: Alexander holds the flower of stench out to the gnome with the jumbo nose.

: Tom Trow I am, that's all I'll be.
My nose knows all on land and sea.
A flower of stench has washed ashore.
A flower, 'tis all, and nothing more!

: Listen! Hark you, Grovernor!
Do your duty as you swore.
With your ears, please tell us more.

Another 15 seconds...

: My ears can't miss that strong heartbeat!
A man it is, a man we greet!

: A man, a man, so say our ears!
We shall send him to his bier!

: Alexander winds the tin nightingale and plays it for the gnome with the monumental ears.

Before I took a hatchet to it, this gif was almost 20 seconds long. Half of it was Alexander slowly winding the nightingale, and half was Grovernor dancing for way too long.

: A nose is not a way to spy!
My ears cannot be told a lie.
A nightingale is all there be.
No man is near, and so say me!

These gnomes are also kinda dumb. I know he heard Alexander winding up the tin nightingale. There's no way he could have missed it with those airstrips attached to the side of his head.

: Taste, Grump-Frump, that we might know, whether friend or whether foe.

Yikes.

I don't want to know what he tasted. He kinda licked the air in front of Alexander. Also get a load of his talking animation. :stonk: That's the sort of poo poo that's gonna haunt my darkest nightmares.

: A man, a man, so say our tongue!
To the Realm of the Dead we send this one!

This one's pretty much a gimme, like Tom Trow before.

: Alexander holds the mint out for the gnome with the gigantic mouth.

: Grump-Frump knows a tasty treat.
It matters not what others bleat!
No danger is this one so sweet!

: Trilly Dilly use your hands.
Is it beast, or is it man?

: My hands know what the rest do not!
A man is standing on this spot!

: A man, a man, so say our hands!
We act at the vizier's command!

This one is not as immediately obvious as some of the others.

You might think the feather would work, but apparently Trilly Dilly sees right through that. Pfft. Birds? On the Isle of Wonder? Who ever heard of that? Anyway...

: Alexander holds the rabbit's foot out for the gnome with the huge hands.

: Be all you mad? What aileth thee?
A bunny can't trill merrily!
A hare does not at all taste sweet!
A rabbit here is all we greet.

: Old Bill Batter, never fatter,
vision can resolve this matter.
Look you now, and end this chatter!

: Of all the senses, eyes are best!
A man, I say, and hang the rest!

: A man, a man, so say our eyes!
A man he be, a man he dies!

This one I had trouble with as a kid. At first it was because I didn't find the solution. Then when I had it, I didn't realize it was what I needed. Because of the previous update, we know what the answer already is. We all saw that gif where Alexander splashed ink on his chest.

When I was a kid I didn't realize you could interact with the inventory in that way. So I just had to try everything until it eventually worked.

: Alexander pours the contents of the empty-looking ink bottle over himself.

: By all that's beauteous, fair, and sightly,
four morons do I sleep with nightly!
There's NOTHING THERE AT ALL I say!
Enough of this, let's now away!

: Alexander did it! He's fooled the guards!

Just like that, one of the weirder puzzles in this very strange game is done. Just like this update is done.

NEXT TIME: Let's explore the island. Starting with the eastern path.

List of Points

+2 - Read to Oyster
+1 - Mother of Pearl
+10 - Sense Gnomes Puzzle (+2 for each of the 5 gnomes)

Total

51/231

Register of Deaths

Alexander doesn't bathe
Doki Doki
A savage tongue lashing
You got the touch!
These deaths couldn't get any cornea

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think this old Let's Play found some alternate solutions to that puzzle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xDOavWuNMM

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I just love the fairytale ending of the rhyme here when you solve it.

Oh, and you can magic map out of there in any of the 15 second blocks, so there’s no DMW here either.

It’s so good I’ll forgive how the gnomes, just based on having heard “a man” from one of their buddies, suddenly become capable of finding and grabbing Alex’s arms and legs..

On the other hand HOLY poo poo the new portrait for Grovenor is terrifying.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 14, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This is a very good puzzle. Every part has a logical solution, and none make you go "wait what?".

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Mikl posted:

This is a very good puzzle. Every part has a logical solution, and none make you go "wait what?".

And, as repeatedly mentioned, it isn't a DMW either; not only can you go back to get the items needed for it (wonder of wonders), but it isn't like half the game after you had your chance to get the item and thus you aren't left wondering "what did I miss?" while being forced to go over the rest of the game with a proverbial fine-toothed comb.

Also, this is pretty much the only puzzle I can remember from when I played this way back when. I can still hear some of the Sense Gnomes' voices, even.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I think you can even come back later and try for the pearl again if you miss it the first time, but I could be wrong about that. Of more immediate interest is that while I don't recall there being a special message for using the feather instead of the rabbit's foot, there is a unique rhyme for trying the flute instead of the nightingale.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

DoubleNegative posted:

:stonk: That's the sort of poo poo that's gonna haunt my darkest nightmares.

It certainly gave 11 year-old me nightmares! Those gnomes were just the right kind of grotesque to freak me out something fierce back then.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

hyphz posted:

I just love the fairytale ending of the rhyme here when you solve it.

Oh, and you can magic map out of there in any of the 15 second blocks, so there’s no DMW here either.

It’s so good I’ll forgive how the gnomes, just based on having heard “a man” from one of their buddies, suddenly become capable of finding and grabbing Alex’s arms and legs..

On the other hand HOLY poo poo the new portrait for Grovenor is terrifying.

I'm surprised at how friendly this game is compared to what the last game was with all the nonsensical solutions and DMW scenarios that plagued it. I'm honestly tempted to play this myself.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"Yes, you should play KQ6" is probably the one statement everyone here would agree on. If you're at all interested, it's definitely worth it.

just, uh, use the DOS portraits :negative:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
This game is generally considered the best in the series by a large margin. Three is still my favortive since it's the one I played on grade school computers and the conceit of sneaking out and learning magic while hiding it from an evil wizard is just the coolest thing for an eight year old.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Kavak posted:

I think this old Let's Play found some alternate solutions to that puzzle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xDOavWuNMM

These recuts are amazing. Been laughing at my desk all day. Thanks for posting them!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's really the opening that does it for me: "Long ago, in a cozy little shop, Graham steals a book from a table."

So simple, but so elegant.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Psion posted:

"Yes, you should play KQ6" is probably the one statement everyone here would agree on.
Nah. It's by far the best King's Quest game, but that's really not saying much.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tiggum posted:

Nah. It's by far the best King's Quest game, but that's really not saying much.

I wanted to put "there will be some contrarian posting in minutes" in spoiler tags but WELL. :v:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
By all that's beauteous, fair, and sightly,
four morons do I sleep with nightly!

I love that line.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's really the opening that does it for me: "Long ago, in a cozy little shop, Graham steals a book from a table."

So simple, but so elegant.

I my favorite line is from the KQV recut: "What a wonderful bluebird! It could almost make Graham feel happy again, if it wasn't for Cedric."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Good day, merchant
I am a shopkeeper!
Merchant.
Shopkeeper!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Nidoking posted:

I think you can even come back later and try for the pearl again if you miss it the first time, but I could be wrong about that. Of more immediate interest is that while I don't recall there being a special message for using the feather instead of the rabbit's foot, there is a unique rhyme for trying the flute instead of the nightingale.

Since you mentioned it, I vaguely remembered that rhyme at a completely random moment last night. Something like

A flute’s sound is a pretty thing,
But a man must play it, that’s the sting.
(Cue getting thrown in the ocean)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I suppose that's a zany enough gauntlet to run for this island.

The rest of the nonsense book is pretty great, too.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Dost thou truly wish to cease our adventuring, DoubleNegative?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Agreed! I’m enjoying this, hope it doesn’t die on the vine.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe the OP forgot to pick up the tiny golden hat hidden in a gnome's boot and thus suffered an unavoidable Sierra-style bullshit death? :ohdear:

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Let us hope not. It would be awful if the LP has been trapped in a Dead Man Walking scenario and the back-up save file was lost.

I played Kings Quest 2015 last year and oh wow...it is truly bizarre to see Alexander as a polite gentleman in this game after an entire chapter of dealing with him as a broody teenager forced to spend time with his dad. Not that I'm blaming him for how he behaves, mind you. He was brought up by an abusive father figure who happened to be an evil wizard and all. I'm just struck by the difference between the two Alexanders even though their appearances are so similar right down to the green tunic.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 3, 2017

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Eshettar posted:

I played Kings Quest 2015 last year and oh wow...it is truly bizarre to see Alexander as a polite gentleman in this game after an entire chapter of dealing with him as a broody teenager forced to spend time with his dad. Not that I'm blaming him for how he behaves, mind you. He was brought up by an abusive father figure who happened to be an evil wizard and all. I'm just struck by the difference between the two Alexanders even though their appearances are so similar right down to the green tunic.

I took it as the scenario with Kings Quest 2015 took place very recently after Alexander came home as a teen, and he's maybe around 25 in this game. He's had 7 years to grow up and change in my mind, so it makes more sense that he became a much nicer person being surrounded by people who actually cared about him.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
I think of King's Quest 2015 as an alternate universe. Early on, the writer seemed to be going for a "This is what happened before the first game in the series and in between all the other games to come!" type of deal. But then the later chapters directly contradict what we saw in the main games. Not to mention the overall tone of King's Quest 2015 which is completely different from the original games.

I enjoyed King's Quest 2015 for the most part. I just thought that certain bits seemed odd, Chapter Two and Chapter Four being the weakest points of the overall experience.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Eshettar posted:

I think of King's Quest 2015 as an alternate universe.

I think of less that and more the ramblings of an old dying man.

Seriously, he's telling his grand-kid a story. Of course he's going to embellish things a bit.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Yeah, that too. What struck me though is how stuff from the main games was often less tinkered with and more outright contradicted.

For example, the circumstances surrounding Alex's return to Daventry. Why is his glorious defeat of the three-headed dragon replaced by him walking in on a staring contest between Graham and Rosella? Graham must know his granddaughter would prefer to hear not only about the terrifying beast but about how her father miraculously returned to save her aunt from its jaws.

Then again, I guess stuff like that could be chalked down to Graham remembering things wrongly as he slips nearer and nearer to death...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 4, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I still need to play the new King's Quest. I completed the first episode and didn't pick it up when the rest of them came out.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Personally, I thought Chapter One was the high point of King's Quest 2015. The later chapters just didn't seem as strong somehow. I have no clue what they were thinking with Chapter Two...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 8, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's been almost a month since the last update, and in that time I haven't really felt the desire to continue, so I'm going to go ahead and call this finished here.

I think completing 5 LPs in as many months finally caught up to me. That was, what, 3 and a half months of updates every other day, before I downgraded to "merely" three times a week. I hate that I fell off right as the only good one started, but what can you do?

Thanks for reading this revisit of a stupid series. I'll probably continue this some day, but until then...

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

DoubleNegative posted:

It's been almost a month since the last update, and in that time I haven't really felt the desire to continue, so I'm going to go ahead and call this finished here.

I think completing 5 LPs in as many months finally caught up to me. That was, what, 3 and a half months of updates every other day, before I downgraded to "merely" three times a week. I hate that I fell off right as the only good one started, but what can you do?

Thanks for reading this revisit of a stupid series. I'll probably continue this some day, but until then...

I think you did a drat fine job. KQ7 was one of those ones I got as a kid in a big pack of CDs but never got far into since the CD cracked in the drive at one point, so I'll regret not seeing that. I'm glad to have seen KQ1-4 though, those are the ones I'm least familiar with!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

DoubleNegative posted:

Fair enough, thanks for a great LP! KQ5 was one of the first computer games I ever played, and it was great to see it again as an adult.

And to understand why I did the whole last half with the hint book.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm a bit disappointed that the LP won't show the whole series, but it's still a drat fine LP. You did a good job, and I was glad to see games I had no idea what they were like.

Thank you, and best of luck for your future endeavours! :)

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

You did good work at an astounding pace. Thanks for the LPs!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Disappointed you won't close out KQ6, but totally understand. Great job with the LPs!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for all this LP goodness, and suffering for us on the nostalgia trip!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Thanks for the LP! You covered the games I'd never gotten to experience much myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Yeah, this was a pretty rough pace, and there's a lot of VI to get through, especially if you want to be thorough about it. I'm impressed you kept it up this long - doing an entire Sierra series is tough.

I think I'll un-postpone my plans to do an LP of Freddy Pharkas, if this is officially over.

• Locked thread