Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Zeniel posted:

Took a while to find, but here it is.

Right here!

I like that little laugh he had just before doing that - it sounded a bit incredulous and a bit nervous in a 'Am I allowed to say this on air?' manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not to mention King's Quest slap-dash fantasy kitchen sink is fairly open-ended where things can taken, while Quest for Glory - the Coles had a very definite plotline and story progression in mind.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ulmont posted:

...which is why Quest for Glory 3 was shoehorned into the plot line as a filler episode...

yeah 3 was a combination of them feeling like going from Wizard to not!Cthulhu was too much of a jump in threat levels, and that Reeshka and Uhara proved both popular with fans and their backgrounds proved too tempting to not explore their story. But otherwise, they did have more or less a firm idea of what they wanted to do.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

given the text also describes Graham as smirking after opening the shell with the trident, Neptune probably felt insulted that some mortal is lording over him.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That game's full of deadman walking scenarios, didn't throw a boot at a cat? Gave the Eagle the wrong thing? Leave Cedric to his doom even though that loving owl really was asking for it.

Says something Cedric's cameo in Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist that he's being eaten by vultures.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It says something the writer could only use "Welp it was completely accidental!" to justify it.

I could think of a few ways to make the puzzle more likely: put a bunch of feathers, and some horse hair around the viper, or the Snake making more horse-like sounds instead of hissing when spoken to.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ChaosArgate posted:

You know, something tells me the author of that had the same reaction to this problem.

Yeah, that's an entry can that only be written after spending days trying to make it work and they had a deadline to keep.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

When you're a kid with too much free time on you hands the trial and error method really didn't seem to bother me too much though I doubt present day me would be so patient. We should just count ourselves lucky that the puzzles are still as simple as adding item A with item B and getting outcome C instead of some of the truly insane solutions we get to look forward to. Things that make articles like this stay relevant 17 years later..

Iirc, Jansen was forced to put a "Sierra-style" puzzle by a producer after the original one for that section had to be replaced for some reason, but drat the cat-tash is probably the nadir of the series.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Erpy posted:

Probably because that section was intended to have a rather tense atmosphere and a Thriller remix suddenly being thrown at the player out of nowhere would have felt extremely jarring.

And I suspect the other reason is between the original release and remake, Michael Jackson had been more judicious in telling people to stop using his music without permission.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and iirc there's some parts that were actually really well-down graphic wise for the era in KQ3, be a shame not to point those out.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Is this one of those arguments like "Ultima 7 was the last true Ultima game" because they massively hosed up the plot? Or were they just kinda shittier than the average?

As Purple said - it completely changes the Genre and has barely any connection with the rest of the series plotwise or tonally.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, those aren't holes, but dimples to help easily push needles in and keep a good grip.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PurpleXVI posted:

For some reason I always thought thimbles had holes in them.

if you never seen one in real life, and only rely on cartoons, it's a reasonable assumption as for the sake of simplicity, animators really don't add details to show the dots are dimples, not holes.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And actually make use of the rest of the ship, it looks like only the Captain's Quarters and the cargo hold has any use, the rest will just kill you or make you waste time.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Randalor posted:

Bathe in her blood, consume her still-beating heart and wear her skin as a suit? What do witches normally do with princesses anyways other than locking them into towers? No, seriously, Rapunzel is the only fairy tale I can think of where the witch already had a princess in her clutches..

There's an obscure fairytale where a witch turns a princess into a bird, and Snow White's Queen is a witch in some versions, and then there's an ooooold version of Sleeping Beauty (the one where a passing king rapes her and she gives birth while comatose) where the prince's step-mother wasn't a witch but an ogre that wanted to eat Talia and her children out of jealousy. Then there's brother, sister where the stepmother enchanted the waters as the siblings ran away - turning the brother into a deer, and eventually succeeding in killing the sister and replacing her with her own daughter.

Honestly, tho given how relative derivative King's Quest is about fairy tales, I doubt we'll see those more obscure tales.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

dead man walking scenarios are the bane of the genre, and LucasArts did a favor by getting rid of them after Zak McCracken and the Alien Mind Benders, even obtuse puzzles are fine but being forced to start over due to not clicking the right pixel is inexcusable.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And for probably one person in the thread who didn't know, Hero's Quest is Quest for Glory, they later changed the name for trademark reasons.

EDIT: corrected

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 30, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And a lack of bug-testing, which led to the infamous Air-sick Bag puzzle in the Lesiure Suit Larry Series - where they wanted to make sure the parser can read the extremely specific instructions, but forgot to implement the common shorthand words (so you have to type air-sick bag, not just bag and you're running on a timer)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What didn't help Cedric is his warnings happen when you already stumble onto a death and he's useless otherwise.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

there's honestly a lot worst: most of the voice actors are Sierra employees, VI on the other hand had professionals like Tony Jay, just Cedric's the one you hear the most often and has a really bad tic.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Explosions posted:

Today I learned that Cedric's voice actor was the guy who wrote the old "I attack the Gazebo" D&D story.

Also he was lead programmer on Conquests of the Longbow, which I remember being pretty good.

Yeah, as the case in those days most of the voice actors were employees. But neat trivia on the Gazebo story

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cedric also aside from his verbal tic - stresses the wrong syllables on some words to facilitate the psuedo-hooting. And I have to agree Graham's va is really drat good for someone that isn't a professional and working with subpar recording equipment.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

or Roberta Williams thought it was hilarious and you can't say no to the boss lady.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bloops Crusts posted:

Didn't they put up with Ad Avis?

my impression is Ad Avis that he wasn't part of WIT (and that he only tipped his hand relatively recently), unlike another QfG villain who not only was expelled but requesting their sponsorship in the remake causes the Hero to get teleported into a situation where he can't survive.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

from a technical and story stand point KQ2 is the worst but it's forgettable because it's such a nothing of a game outside of a couple puzzles, KQ5 stands out because the puzzles and Cedric are full of bad logic

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shei-kun posted:

I thought his voice was enough of a reason to hate him, but no, he has to go giving me more.

And given the time it probably wasn't even meant to be 'Cedric is racist' just 'Cedric is a coward', even now bigotry against traveling people is considered perfectly acceptable and even justified in some areas :/

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bregor posted:

Man, Cedric is pretty racist but the game itself is worse. The Arab totally some different fantasy civilization's group of men is pretty nefarious, but also their genie thirsts for murder. Thanks, Roberta.

Granted the Genie is all the way back to the 1001 Nights, where a Fisherman had the unfortunate luck of fishing up a Djinn who got so fed up with being trapped he swore to kill the first person who freed him. The other stuff is less excusable and honestly pretty standard for the era it's made in, unfortunately.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Nidoking posted:

You've got the same GIF for the first and second emeralds. Not sure whether that's what you intended or not, which is saying something.

Triggering the random deaths in the forest requires being trapped there. If you enter without the honeycomb or throw all three emeralds without using it, then walk around after dispatching the witch, one of them will trigger. (It was always the plant for me.) You might also hit one if you enter while wearing the amulet but not carrying the bottle. (That might be what triggers the spider.) As far as I know, you'll never see either if you have a means to escape. That would be cave troll levels of unfair.

So those two traps are to keep stuck players from wandering around forever

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bloops Crusts posted:

Future games would fix this... KQ6 would return to form by giving you free run of almost the entire game world like the earlier games did, though I think it dies have a couple DMW scenarios... forgetting to get the gauntlet, the River Styx water, or the handkerchief from the lady ghost all come to mind, or the items you need to conquer the Labyrinth, or the coins prior to visiting the Land of the Dead.

And in the one KQ6 DMW The Labyrinth is at least kind enough to warn you if you don't have the needed items and gives you a chance to get those items, but won't stop you if you go in anyways

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

as far as I remember, it does not.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jagged Jim posted:

Keep in mind that "best" in this case could mean "only knight not eaten by a dragon or turned into a fine mist by an ogre."

could be simply the Bright Noa means of promotion.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

mauman posted:

Man....compared to this game QFG4 had amazing VO work. Actually, it had amazing VO work period, with the exception of the fortune teller and that was because she had multiple VOs for some odd reason (one which was great, the other is very much not).

It did, even if the 3 random guys in the bar did go off-script80% of the time (though they were funny breaks). I suspect the fortune teller's voice switch is because they realized they needed to record more lines and the good VA wasn't available and didn't have the time to wait for her to be available.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There were other issues with that series, but that's been talked to death elsewhere and still can incite flame wars, I personally chose not to buy it after hearing about it, which is too bad as with the other Classic Adventure Game series revivals in perpetual development, or basically lost to the aether - Monkey Island will never see the light of day now that Disney bought out LucasArts and shut down the game development branch - and the Telltale Series ended on one hell of a reveal.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah the issue isn't necessarily the solution itself, but how the game goes well out of it's way to mislead you.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Game's too early for 'your companion is really with the bad guys' to really be a thing, but Cedric is just too cowardly and basically of zero help.

Seriously the one thing they could've done to make Cedric way less hated is to turn him into a hint dispenser, even if it's a flag to show you're DMW and reload i.e:

"I hope that mouse got away." if you didn't boot the cat.

or

in the town with the coin: "Graham - hold up, I thought I saw something."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

whitehelm posted:

Jane Jensen designed the Gabriel Knight series, not Roberta Williams, and she had a completely different puzzle in mind for getting the motorcycle. The cat hair puzzle got created and substituted in by the producer Steven Hill because the original puzzle was too expensive/difficult to implement or something.

Apparently according to Jensen, the original puzzle involved a water hose and a bird's nest, but they couldn't get the water to look right.

The cat hair puzzle is infuriating because it's such a departure from Gabriel Knight's more grounded puzzles, I don't think it'd get as much furor if it was in Monkey Island or King's Quest.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Having Crispin solve everything in the end really introduces a bad logic - it makes more sense for Graham to have stayed and helped the old wizard research the spells, then teleport them to Modack's castle.

And what's hilarious about Cedric taking the bullet is it's not intentional, Cedric wasn't diving to save him, he just accidentally got in the way trying to tell him something.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

KQ6 not only has the fewest DMW and bullshit puzzles, it has probably one of the most coherent plot progressions in the series

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

His windows portrait is odd - his head looks too narrow and too tall, almost frankenstein-ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ugh, I definitely prefer Jollo's other portrait.

• Locked thread