Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah, very much same here. The team took a few too many creative liberties with the KQ2 remake, to the point where it felt like I was playing through a King's Quest fanfiction instead.
I haven't played the remake so I can't comment on it, but the original was such a scatterbrained mess that it felt pretty fanfiction-y on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Cedric does literally one useful thing in the entire game and it doesn't even involve him doing anything.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Really? You would have tried it before trying the sword that has a serpent engraved on it, that does in fact kill the snake, but then locks you out of the poison-immunity sugar cube?
If you played KQ1 you already know killing stuff is always the wrong puzzle solution.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

OAquinas posted:

SQ3 actually has a vendor with useless items, but you probably have enough buckazoids where it doesn't matter.

IIRC only one of his items was actually useless, and you could still wear it and look like a boss which is arguably the best use of all.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
That was a one-headed dragon, this is a new one with three heads. Graham still just has the one bucket so he's powerless to stop it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

DoubleNegative posted:

The emulator I'm running this on, ScummVM, forces the game to run in realtime regardless of speed setting. I would have to literally sit around for 25 real time minutes in order to get a single chance to piss the wizard off.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I think the bottle's just an easter egg, the real point was for the whale to send us to the island where we got the bridle. You can't swim there.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kavak posted:

These things weren't cheap, and it was felt that a player who could beat a game in a short amount of time wasn't getting their money's worth. They needed to last.

I don't remember the exact number since it's been almost 30 years but yeah, these were AAA games by the standards of the 80s and cost something like $40-50.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Applesnots posted:

It has been so long since i have actually had to think about them I forgot.

As long as you don't call them "hard disks" we're OK.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Eshettar posted:

The bad ending becomes even worse when you factor in what happens in the next game. If Rosella failed to bring Graham the magic fruit and he died, Kings Quest 5 would have been over before it even began without Graham around to save the day. I guess that also applies to the Game Over in which Rosella's forced to marry Edgar and stay in Tamir forever...

"King's Quest V doesn't happen" sounds like the best possible ending to me.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I imagine they meant to flesh his role out more later, and then later never came. Happens often enough in game dev.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Fat Samurai posted:

This was my second adventure game, right after Monkey Island. The design philosophy completely blindsided me, to put it mildly.

I don't think I could imagine a bigger whiplash between two games of the same era and nominally the same genre.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

gegi posted:

A slightly clearer way of getting the point across might be to let Graham wander lost for a while, then take control of the character away from the player, have Graham sigh something about "Is there really no way out of here?" and sit down for a rest. Then have a plant eat him.

Which still might let someone think that they need to get swallowed by a plant while carrying the right poison so that the plant will spit them back out again, but at least it would somewhat suggest that the problem might have something to do with finding a way out of the forest.

Or just have a "welp you're stuck here forever" death like the one that happens in the desert vault, those are hard to misconstrue.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The only possible explanation is that the rat did it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

where the red fern gropes posted:

i've already forgotten what 4 was about (not joking; reminder please?)
Rosella settles a fairy turf war while searching for magical HGH for her ailing dad.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Neither have I, but then it never would've occurred to me not to go to the castle in the first place. It makes perfect narrative sense to go there early.

Incidentally, "Abdul Alhazred" is the name of the author of the Necronomicon in the Lovecraft universe. In case the fact that the guy's a fictional vizier didn't already make it obvious he's up to no good. This was a reference I didn't catch when I played the games, only much later when I watched some LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
No, it's just useless pedantry from prescriptivists.

• Locked thread