Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Tiggum posted:

King's Quest 5 contains a puzzle that you can solve in two different ways. Solving it the wrong way leads to being unable to solve a later puzzle at all. You won't realise this until you get to that later puzzle and possibly bash your head against it for hours trying to figure out what you missed.

KQ5 has a frankly disgusting number of ways you can lose the game and not find out until long after the fact. Each of the following things that you can do is effectively a delayed game over, with the punchline often coming hours later and sometimes giving no clue as to what you did wrong.

- eat a pie
- watch a cat catch a mouse
- pay a gypsy with one of the two items in the game that he accepts as payment
- feed the wrong kind of food to a bird, or don't feed it at all
- fail to save an owl's life (this one doesn't kill you until the actual final screen of the game)
- fail to notice and grab a tiny glinting object in a non-repeatable timed sequence
- cross the point of no return roughly halfway through the game without one of about half a dozen essential items

I can't believe I ever liked that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The main thing I remember about King's Quest 2 is how it actively punishes exploration in a very specific and non-obvious way. I'm sure DoubleNegative will cover it when it's relevant so I won't spoil it but it's a huge dick move and can make your game unwinnable at any time and you might not realize it until you're almost at the end.

Boy, times sure have changed. I used to think Sierra games were awesome.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Colander Crotch posted:

I know this references a later game but...

"Look out, Graham! A poisonous lake!"

I heard it in his voice :gonk:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I haven't played this since I was a kid, but I'd bet money that you can't get a key without first reading the relevant clue. The mermaid, boatman, and uh, bird? won't show up until you do.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

mauman posted:

Pretty much everything about that whole section came off as a twilight fan-fic to me.

In other words....really really cringe worthy.

Yeah holy poo poo that sounds atrocious.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

On the subject of random bullshit death screens... there's one more lurking in KQV :ssh:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Has anyone pointed out the whale's extremely human teeth and general mouth interior? 'Cause it's creepy as hell.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

senrath posted:

Yeah, a lot of the puzzles seem fairly obvious if you have the solution already. If you didn't pick up the solution then you're stuck guessing what the hell you missed.

That's what's so loving awful about the locket. It's entirely reasonable for a player to straight up not notice the glinting pixel in the short window you have to grab it, and there's no indication whatsoever that you missed anything, even when you get to Cassima.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

EorayMel posted:

This is the TRUE canonical ending to King's Quest 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soa_yptl1mw

Bloops Crusts posted:

I think the King's Quest V audio switch glitch deserves special mention...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqunFIEI1IY

If you play the DOS version with the Windows CD in, the dialogue gets switched around and it's super hilarious.

Mandatory clicks

The end of the first video and most of the second one had me in stitches.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

OAquinas posted:

Gotta say, really prefer the DOS portraits. You can tell they were more practiced at making the lower-res stuff look better.

Some of the high-res portraits look better than others and are totally fine, but for Alexander in particular I think the DOS portrait is much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Eshettar posted:

Why do the guard dogs say "Good day!" to Jollo as though this is the first time he's passed by today? They must have seen him leave the castle which would mean they surely wished him a good day. If anything, you'd think they would ask how his trip to the village was. Nitpicking, I know, but it just seems weird to me...

They're basically just saying hello. It doesn't need analysis.

• Locked thread