Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I've only played the AGI and SCI versions of this game, and I've never gotten anything from a walnut other than gold. Maybe I just always picked up the right one? I've tried picking up a few, but the game always told me to grab one from near the tree, because it would be the freshest, or something like that. The dwarf would also unfailingly steal a treasure if he caught me - if I had any of the Three Treasures, that would be the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Are there not points in this version for eating the house? That's the way I always used in earlier versions to figure out whether or not the witch was inside.

Also, depending on how seriously you take Sierra's sense of humor, Cracker IS canonically Graham's last name.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You can remove the ring in this version? I'm pretty sure that if you prematurely removed the ring in the AGI version, at least, Graham would drop it and it would be gone forever.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Another significant change from the original AGI version to the SCI version, which I assume the VGA version kept - in the original version, you could catch the eagle ride to the island with the hole at any time, and as long as you brought the cheese or a treasure and the clover or the fiddle, you could get the shield early. In later versions, the eagle would only appear if you had the other treasures already. The upshot of getting the shield early is that it does indeed protect you from most sources of harm. You don't have to hide from the giant because he simply can't kill you, and of the roaming enemies, only the dwarf and the witch pose any threat at all. Most other things that would kill you still do.

The scepter is also a substitute for treasure in the few other places where a treasure can be used as a bribe. (I think that's just the troll, though.) The only reason you can't give it to the rat is that you need to get past the rat to get your hands on it. When you're forced to do this puzzle last, there's not much use for it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Erpy posted:

As a game an sich, AGDI's KQ2 is objectively better.

Counterpoint: They attempted to work Connor into the story.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Colander Crotch posted:

I know this references a later game but...

"Look out, Graham! A poisonous lake!"

This just made me realize for the first time how many poisonous snakes there are in this series.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You only need to cover the cage if you take it while the witch is there. If she's out of the cave, you can safely take the cage and walk out unopposed.

As for the bridle, I've looked for mythological sources for a story about a snake and bridle. There's apparently a snake species known as the bridle snake, and perhaps a story about an enchantress who used a snake AS a bridle, but those are all the references before Google starts spitting up the King's Quest wiki. Strangely enough, it made sense to me at the time, particularly when I couldn't figure out how to use the sword, but I probably remembered it from the King's Quest Collection hint book I read as a child, back before there was a King's Quest V.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure that, just like the first game, many of the puzzle solutions can be substituted for treasures at the cost of the points you got for the treasure, and likely the points you'd have gotten for solving the puzzle correctly. Those would be neat to see.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You also don't have to kill Dracula. He drops the key to the chest, but if you just search the coffin while he's not there, you can get the key to the door and leave without ever encountering him. I guess it would have been too much work to make another end screen without him.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

A few months ago, I decided to reupload most of my old pre-Youtube videos to Youtube so they'd be more accessible. Space Quest was the last LP I did before switching to Youtube as a host, and I'm about halfway through V now. I'm posting one video per day so I don't fill anyone's subscription feed, and because I've been having fun rewatching the old videos as I post them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Or just have you step onto the staircase and then transition instantly to the next screen. Making you walk all the way up (or down) has got to be an intentional challenge.

That's it exactly - remember, King's Quest I was the first adventure game that put your character on the screen and made position an important element. No longer were all objects in "the room" accessible by default. They were able to use positioning to do things like have monsters chase you around the screen or make the player navigate narrow paths, and so that's exactly what they did. It seems almost ironic that when they switched to entirely point-and-click in King's Quest V, they added an automatic ability to navigate those paths, even though the winding paths themselves persisted as part of the design of the games.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You only have to walk down the mountain once. After that, you can teleport straight to the bottom.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Even if said method is tedious and painfully random (Space Quest II). I've heard of the supposed method to rig the slot machine but I've never got the item or it didn't work or something.

That's Space Quest I, and there's an item that does it in the VGA remake. In the original, there's a cheat code you have to type.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I think the trader in King's Quest 7 has some useless junk, but it's not a problem since he'll happily take them back in exchange for the things you do need. Also I may be misremembering.

I did a bonus video where I attempted to trade every inventory object you can get to the trader mouse. There are a couple of good responses, but no trades aside from the ones you need to make.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The first game has also explained that while the bearer of the shield is safe from harm, dragon's breath is enough to melt the shield until it no longer protects anyone.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

One correction: The witch still kills you if you have the shield, because she just picks you up and dump you in a cell. The dwarf is also still a threat, because he can steal any of the Three Treasures. I did a video years ago with the main purpose of trying out the shield in every situation, just to see how things like that would work.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

If you check your map, it'll show the ship's progress over time. I don't know how often it changes, but there are only a few discrete locations where it can appear.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

gegi posted:

Funnily my greatest hatred of a tricky climbing segment in King's Quest comes from a screen that can't actually kill the character... but might kill the player out of sheer frustration.

Whale. Tongue.

That can and will totally kill the character.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

What's the feminine equivalent of "pantload?"

"Hey, remember that game mechanic you had to use once right at the start of the game, which hasn't been the least bit useful ever since, so you forgot that it existed well before the halfway point? Guess what the last thing you have to do in the game is. No, you're going to love this. Just try to figure it out."

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's hard to say whether they changed much graphically from the AGI version of this game, which was released on the Apple IIgs because it couldn't handle the SCI engine. So those might just be 16-color images rather than 256.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Glazius posted:

I wonder why she wouldn't don the hat to go on an adventure. Then again it's probably a little disrespectful.

She didn't really have the time to go pick it up while Genesta's magic was running out.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I believe you can also just take the crown and leave the frog a frog. Given the result of kissing it, that might be the better outcome, but I think it's worth fewer points.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

According to the edition of the King's Quest Companion I had (early enough that its KQV coverage was merely speculation about what a fifth game might be about), Roberta Williams originally wanted to make it possible to trade the gold ball to the fisherman, thus making it impossible to complete the frog puzzle. (I guess that early version also didn't allow you to pick up the ball again after kissing the frog?) In the end, she decided against it, so it's not as bad as it could have been. Granted, the game still doesn't prevent you from giving away the diamonds before getting the lantern, so it's hardly forgiving.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I always climb up the left side of the tongue, so I know it's possible. I'm pretty sure the paths are mirrored. I don't know why it would be easier to climb one side than the other. It's still a pretty garbage series of puzzles, though, and more of the "You can go anywhere you want, but you need to do these specific things in this specific order" that started to dominate Sierra games around this time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Whalemouth makes me think of Disney's Pinocchio, Monstro, as a probably deliberate reference

A reference to a Disney movie slash fairy tale in a King's Quest game? Such a thing is unthinkable!

Yeah, it's pretty deliberate.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

I don't know. Sierra being Sierra, the answer would just have been "but what would the puzzle be otherwise?" :thunk:

The sixth game has a hidden gag where there's literally a box of items that would have solved puzzles from the earlier games. Telltale did that in one of the Sam & Max episodes as well.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

If this had been any earlier in the series, the golden egg would be a treasure and you'd have to remember to command the hen to lay before turning it in.

I'm surprised you don't have to do that, actually. It would have been a more devious way to get a golden ball than "it's hidden under a bridge, you gotta use them eyes Rosella".

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

"Treasure? I can eat?"
"No, you can't eat treasure."
"Then I not want. You can have."

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Hope wasn't introduced until SCI 2.1. In this early SCI 1.0/1.1 era, it was fueled entirely by vague unrequited desires and the kind of genie magic where you couldn't even specify your wishes.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Eshettar posted:

Okaaaay, you just blew my mind! I've played the Kings Quest games several times and this is the first mention I've ever seen of any sort of hint about the snake/bridal situation! How could I possibly have missed that for all these years? I don't think the Kings Quest companion even mentions the snake neighing like a horse...

It doesn't. That was just a suggestion for a hint that a sensible game designer would have put into the game to make it a puzzle rather than a sales vector for the hint book.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

hyphz posted:

Is the "thanks for playing.." thing in the floppy version or just the CD? And did anyone ever find out if "to Lisa from O" could be done on the CD?

The Easter egg isn't in the CD version, unless it's in a very early CD release that probably isn't readily available anymore. If you've got separate Walk and Travel cursors in your version, then it should work. I don't think most people are even aware that that was ever a thing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I still prefer this one to II, marginally. II was pretty much "hastily churned-out sequel that didn't understand the appeal of the original enough to supplement it or stand out in its own right" before that became an adventure game standard. As much as people tend to complain about certain puzzles in V, I maintain that they're all more sensible than bridle-snake, and the sheer ridiculousness of "there are just three doors in this screen that you have to open in order, and reading them makes random things happen that get you the keys" is beyond almost anything else in the series, at least until we get to VII. I'm not going to argue that V isn't pretty bad in a lot of ways, but I think "worst by a wide margin" is a gross exaggeration.

I also don't think it's possible to complete this game with fewer than the full 260 points. If it is, I'll be interested to see how.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

To be slightly fairer about the "pixel hunt" nature of the silver coin, it does glint fairly frequently to draw your attention, so it's not as difficult to spot as the still frame makes it seem to be.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

As silly as the subject matter is, it's a well-made adventure game in terms of graphics, audio, and making a drop of loving sense.

I think a significant portion of the puzzles in Virtual Stupidity make all the things people complain about in this series seem like finding the ground with a guide to push you out the window.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

hyphz posted:

- Entering the ice area with the rope [...] but without [...] the hammer (DMW at Mordack's loving castle, thanks a bunch)

I would be very interested to know how you propose to manage that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You've got the same GIF for the first and second emeralds. Not sure whether that's what you intended or not, which is saying something.

Triggering the random deaths in the forest requires being trapped there. If you enter without the honeycomb or throw all three emeralds without using it, then walk around after dispatching the witch, one of them will trigger. (It was always the plant for me.) You might also hit one if you enter while wearing the amulet but not carrying the bottle. (That might be what triggers the spider.) As far as I know, you'll never see either if you have a means to escape. That would be cave troll levels of unfair.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

So those two traps are to keep stuck players from wandering around forever

Or to be the nearest thing the game has to an indication that you're missing something. At least once the witch is gone, you can always fall into the chasm surrounding her house.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Bloops Crusts posted:

Because you're constantly moving forward, and the path back is constantly being closed off to you, it's very easy to forget to pick up an item in an earlier area and only realize later on that you need it, and you've been walking dead ever since you left.

Let's not forget that some of Sierra's other series had done similar things long before this point - Space Quest I (the rather vital cartridge at the start of the game that you might well not stumble into finding, not to mention that jetpack) and Leisure Suit Larry II (just about every item in the dang game) leap to mind immediately as games where you're constantly moving from place to place and probably missing important things at every step of the way, not to discover it until you've gone so far that you won't make the connection to the specific, obscure thing you were supposed to do. Hint books were a very lucrative business back then.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Something I only recently realized - how and why did the crooks in the inn padlock the cellar door on the inside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

It did, even if the 3 random guys in the bar did go off-script80% of the time (though they were funny breaks). I suspect the fortune teller's voice switch is because they realized they needed to record more lines and the good VA wasn't available and didn't have the time to wait for her to be available.

You'll find plenty of similar pick-up lines in the Sierra catalog around that time. They often managed to do things like get the narrator to read a character's line, but sometimes, they just faked it and it was incredibly noticeable.

• Locked thread