Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Turns out I don't have much to say about KQ, even though I used to love talking about it. The thread did discuss Police Quest though, so I feel obliged to point out Richard Cobbett's take and that the forums have a good LP of PQ 1-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nidoking posted:

Also, depending on how seriously you take Sierra's sense of humor, Cracker IS canonically Graham's last name.
I was just about to say that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

This is the cat hair puzzle of KQ.

I thought the KQ2 vga remake was a huge improvement over "KQ2 - More KQ", which had absolutely zero innovations over 1. It was also a lot less ported than the original. KQ1 made it onto every system, including the NES.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Prism posted:

KQ5 was ported to the NES. I didn't think anything earlier was.
My bad, it was actually Sega:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddPTymAiN2Y

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

Nope. The AGDI remake of 2 is bad and I don't like it.

Also...

https://lparchive.org/Kings-Quest-I/
In reverse order - wow, that was fast. Or maybe I just have skewed expectations because baldurk doesn't like me :(

As I noted in an earlier reply, KQ2 is literally "some more KQ1, now with different screens". The remake at least does some interesting things with the originals plot... in other words, it actually conjures a plot into existence. What did you dislike about it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

OAquinas posted:

KQ1 and 2 would basically be called tech demos these days.
Yeah, I believe KQ1 was the first adventure game where the hero and enemies actually moved around a "world". Previous adventure games were either entirely text based, or Zork style "picture of location goes here, now start typing away at it".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nidoking posted:

This just made me realize for the first time how many poisonous snakes there are in this series.
None. Snakes are venomous.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

: There is a stake leaning against a tree.

: It appears to be an ordinary tent stake.

This will come into play toward the end of the game. Try and guess how! If you already know, then no cheating.
It's a stake, so I think it's for :D ...

Wait. Fuckdamit, that IS what it's for. drat, this game is dumb.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I hate the QFG2 remake as much or more than you hate KQ2. Really garbage combat.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The worst KQ game. And that's saying something.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Sel Nar posted:

The Lotus from Warframe.
But why though?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Erpy posted:

I'm afraid I can't answer that question, since I kinda retired from AGD Interactive and Himalaya after the KQ3 remake was released and stabilized. I had a lot of fun working on QFG2 and KQ3, but during those 8 years they also kinda consumed my life. ;)
Can you tell us why the combat in the QFG2 remake was so terrible?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

So do you see that gray depressed area just behind Gwydion? That's an open hatch into the cargo area. In my test run for the game, I got to this point and fell into it. Falling from a screen up is a death sentence, and I hadn't saved since before starting the waiting game.

I was not happy at having to wait twice.
Hey, you know what they say:

Save early.

Save often.

Save in different slots.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

This is probably the first KQ I'd bother linking the music.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Wait, you visited the fairy godmother's island, and didn't even drop by for a chat?

Rude.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Aces High posted:

Didn't they make this joke at the end of The Secret of Monkey Island too?
https://fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The regular organ music is some recognizable classic piece, but I can't find the title.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Missing key moments to screencap? Fraps or otherwise capture the footage, then go through it and screencap at leisure.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

hyphz posted:

And did anyone ever find out if "to Lisa from O" could be done on the CD?
Wot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

: Ooooh t was

quote:

: Hmmmm. It might work. Here, eat this.
That's... quite the arm you got there, Graham.

Gonna echo idon'tlikepeas' opinion - KQ5 is bad, but not nearly as bad as 2.

Also, it's a shame that the voice version doesn't have an option to have voice AND text. The option was there for later titles, but I think it's fairly obvious it's good to have both even if this is the first voiced game your company produced.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Alexander pulls out his magic map.

Even the bloody shopkeeps in KQ6 are actual characters. They have personalities and opinions and poo poo, instead of being a lovely accent stapled onto a fetch quest.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I cracked open my King's Quest companion (come to think of it, I could have used some sections to accompany the LP earlier) and Alexander has a pretty good explanation about the different magic types. It's all "hey, magic is mysterious and hard to comprehend completely by definition. Only total nerds really smug wizards would believe they know all about how magic works based on a highly limited sample. Also, the multiverse is real, and Lovecraft's work was a documentary. Ya Cthulhu Ftaghn. "

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I cracked open my King's Quest companion
Also, KQ6 has the best manual in the series. Pretty much up there with the Quest for Glory manuals, with a lot of in-universe fiction. If I were running the LP, I'd just quote bits of lore that the player was meant to have read as we come to each island.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nidoking posted:

I've never heard of a special death at the end of the game for failing to introduce yourself at the castle. It seems a very un-KQVI thing to do, and the only character I can think of that you might be talking about has different dialogue if he's never met you, but with the same result.
Ditto. You're not even introduced to that character in the castle.

You do get an entirely different set of "is this the Land of the Green Isles" dialogues depending on which character you talk to first.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

edit: I don't know that I like these character portraits better than the ones on the original version, though.
Where are those portraits from, anyways? I've played several different versions of KQ6 over the years, and never encountered them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

: Considering the poor condition of the shore, it looks like the easiest wa

: As his head submerges for the third time, Alexander finds himself pondering the wisdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

This was the first voice-acted game I ever played, and Hakim's "Good day" is still burned into my mind. I can't read those words without hearing his voice :shobon:
Alexander pulls out his magic map.

• Locked thread