Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I got so angry at these games as a kid. My dad loved them, but I never did beat any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tiggum posted:

Or pretty much just avoid Sierra. Others might have done it, but I think Sierra's pretty much the only company to have made it a standard part of every game they made.

One puzzle game I loved as a kid, Cydonia, took a middle ground: there's an item you can pick up in the first few screens of the game that you need much, MUCH later in the game in order to progress. The puzzle this item solves where you can first find it is optional. The puzzle it solves near the end of the game is not. Didn't pick it up? Hope you enjoy a fuckton of backtracking!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tiggum posted:

King's Quest 5 contains a puzzle that you can solve in two different ways. Solving it the wrong way leads to being unable to solve a later puzzle at all. You won't realise this until you get to that later puzzle and possibly bash your head against it for hours trying to figure out what you missed.

Cydonia's puzzle I'm thinking of, at least, you almost have to purposefully ignore. One of your fellow crew is trapped by a piece of debris that fell on him during the crash, and you can find a blowtorch to cut through the debris and free him. You don't actually have to save him, but he's about the first thing you see in the actual game so why wouldn't you save him?

Much later in the game, you need that blowtorch to cut through some giant vines blocking the way forward.

• Locked thread