Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

HardDiskD posted:

Can we talk with the wizard cat?

I'll show off the exact text in the next update, but the response is something like "Manannan is being unusually quiet, don't you think?"

EorayMel posted:

Can we eat the knife?

Or use KNIFE on WIZARD when he is asleep ala Sam Fisher?

While I admittedly haven't tried to eat the knife, I'm pretty sure the reaction is gonna be the same as trying to eat sand:

: Once you tasted it, you wouldn't want it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Re: Floppy disk chat...

3,711 floppies

It's not real

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 28, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Welcome back to King's Quest III. Last time, you may remember, Gwydion finally got free from 17 years of oppressive slavery. Manannan is now permanently a cat and it's glorious.

>talk to cat

: Manannan seems unusually quiet, don't you think!

>kick cat

: You'd better get on with your quest. Manannan is no longer a bother to anyone.

The timer continues, though the main driving force behind it is now gone. Now it mostly serves as a way to gauge how much time has passed. There's one more major "puzzle" coming up that has to deal with the passage of time, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. To be honest, if you fail that puzzle, then you've done something very, very wrong.

Anyway, let's get our poo poo and get going. There's two more spells we need to cast, and we still need to pick up an ingredient for one of them. So let's >get all and get going.

Now that we can understand animals, groups of them will infrequently talk out loud. Most of the ones in Llewdor will talk about Gwydion. Sadly, I couldn't get any of the conversations to trigger despite hanging around for a bit.

Just as well I guess, the animals will just casually drop story spoilers if you listen to them talk.

>talk to chickens

: The chickens pay no attention to Gwydion.

I love the magic map. Anyway, because we've done all the exploring, welcome to the part of the LP where I just start showing you pertinent screens.

If you think back several updates, you may remember me talking about sequence breaking in finding that lever. This is how you're supposed to find it. First, we need to enter the tavern.

The two bandits are hanging out in here.

: Wench! Come o'er here with more ale!

They seem like nice folks. Let's introduce ourselves...

: Excuse me...
: Beat it, kid!
: I said excuse me!
: The bandits are pointedly ignoring you. Don't press your luck.

Alright, so let's try out the first spell we cast.

>dip fly in essence

True enough, Gwydion turns into that tiny pixel moving around erratically.

: Shortly after turning into a fly, Gwyidon starts overharing bits of the two bandits' conversation.

: ...squirmed just like a pig. An' that rope ya rigged inside o' that big oak tree works great!
: Now nobody'll 'ere find ar' hideout. Why, I'll be even that wizard...

We can even move around while in fly form. So let's go looking for that tree...

: In his insect form, Gwydion fits easily through the hole in the tree.

The game doesn't give me a chance to do anything on this screen, else I'd try to turn back from a fly here. No funny deaths here, sadly. Anyway, that's enough of being a fly.

>fly begone myself return

: The impulse to buzz around has vanished. Gwydion feels himself growing bigger, so he heads for what he hopes is a safe place to land.

So let's start the next timer counting down.

>dip eagle feather in essence

I was going to have a nice big gif of the next sequence. But apparently gooncam doesn't like it when you try to encode a 1200 frame gif. So instead, here's some screenshots.

: Gwydion swoops close to the spider web and finds the huge spider guarding the entrance. Taking her in his beak, he vows to get rid of her once and for all!

: Gwydion's magic spell is wearing off!

We're on a roll, so let's go see what's in this cave that was being guarded by the spider. This, by the way, starts the next deadline. After we finish our business in this cave, a timer starts ticking down. We will have 30 in game minutes to get our poo poo and get out of Llewdor before the chance to do so is forever lost.

So just to be safe, don't remove the spider until you're absolutely ready for another time crunch.

: Gwydion has entered the cave of the Oracle. He is almost afraid to speak.

: For a long time, the Oracle is silent. Finally, Gwydion hears a hollow voice that seems to come from far away.

: I've been waiting for you a long time, Gwydion. I have sorrowful news for you. Years ago, a terrible three-headed dragon invaded Daventry, and keeps the people in a state of terror. This monster requires, once a year, the sacrifice of a young maiden.

: Sadly, your own sister, Princess Rosella, is the chosen one this year. Time is running out for her, your parents, and Daventry. You, Gwydion, are the only one who can save them. But, you must hurry! I have something to give you... a small stone of amber. Use it wisely, my friend.

: The Oracle grows silent again, and seems to fall into a deep sleep. Gwydion attempts to thank the Oracle, but she does not respond.

: The stone is smooth, round, and an unusual color, somewhat like that of amber.

NEXT TIME: We need to save our sister and our home, apparently. God dammit Graham.

List of Points

+3 - Spied on the bandits
+5 - Found the rope we used already
+4 - Taking the spider for a swim
+3 - Prince Gwydion

Total: 137/210

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 1, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Well poo poo. I guess Gwydion's a prince. Well, after more than half the game passing, we finally have our quest. Gotta save a sister we've never met and a homeland we've never known from destruction. Kind of a tall order, to be honest.

In order to accomplish this quest, there are three more spells we need to prepare. Don't forget that we are now under a hard time limit of half an hour.

Thankfully, the amber stone was the last ingredient we needed. By the way, I fell off of the path up to the house twice.

So, let's get those three spells prepared and be on our way.

>get toadstool
>get spittle

: The cream-colored toadstool powder is finely textured and nearly odorless.
: Toad spittle is unpleasant stuff (to say the least).

: Prince Gwydion removes the jars of Toadstool Powder and Toad Spittle from the laboratory shelf.

>turn to page vii
>eat salt

: A strange feeling comes over Gwydion. He wonders if he could have made a mistake!

: It appears that stone has a flaw.

Judging by the death message, you might imagine that the stone is flawed. No, it's because Gwydion has pica and can't resist eating everything. Anyway, here's our next spell...

>turn to page vii
>grind salt in mortar
>grind mistletoe in mortar
>rub stone in mixture

: Gwydion places the beautiful amber stone in the mortar. Very carefully, so as not to miss a single spot, he rubs the amber stone around in the mixture of ground salt and mistletoe. When he has finished, he removes the amber stone and discards the remaining powder.

>kiss stone

>wave wand

>turn to page lxxxiv
>drink ocean water

: A strange feeling comes over Gwydion. He wonders if he could have made a mistake!

: There's no silver lining in this cloud, Gwydion.

Right. So the last spell we made was optional, but worth points all the same. These next two are absolutely integral to completing the game. We actually can't win if we don't make them.

The Sorcery of Old is a very thick book. Page LXXXIV is mercifully the longest page number we have to type in, but it's not the farthest in the book we have to turn.

>put ocean water in bowl
>light brazier
>heat bowl on brazier

: Being cautious not to burn himself, Gwydion gently places the bowl of ocean water on the hot charcoal brazier. He watches as the salt water slowly warns, then begins to steam. He removes it just before it boils.

>put mud in bowl

: Adding a spoonful of mud to the hot ocean water, Gwydion slowly stirs the mixture. The mud turns the water a cloudy brown.

>add pinch of toadstool powder
>blow into brew

: Leaning over the hot brew, Gwydion forcefully blows his longest breath of air into the bowl, whirling the brew around and around.

>wave wand
>put storm brew in jar

: Waiting until the liquid has cooled, Gwydion carefully pours the storm brew into an empty glass jar.

>turn to page clxix

That's page 169.

>eat cactus

No gif necessary for this one. Gwydion is just gone.

: Gwydion! Oh, Gwydion! (What Gwydion? Where??)

Alright, so this is the final spell we need to cast. :toot: Compared to some of the others we've cast, it's mercifully non-complex.

>turn to page clxix
>cut cactus with knife

: Using his kitchen carving knife, Gwydion cuts a gash in the small cactus. Juice begins to drip.

>squeeze cactus juice onto spoon

: Grabbing one of the measuring spoons from the oaken table, Gwydion grasps the slit catcus in his hand, and squeezes it until he has a spoonful of cactus juice. The small cactus is quite devoid of liquid now, so he tosses it away.

>put cactus juice in bowl
>put lard in bowl

: Gwydion scrapes the lard into the mixing bowl, and keeps the now-empty jar nearby to store the finished formula.

>add toad spittle
>stir mixture with spoon

That's not a very good rhyme.

>wave wand
>put ointment in jar

: Gwydion scoops the invisibility ointment out of the clay bowl and returns it to the lard jar. Having successfully completed the spell, he looks at the wizard's laboratory for the last time.

: The dirty-brown storm brew sloshes around in the half-filled glass jar.
: The amber stone was a beautiful reddish-yellow, but it is now encrusted with salt and mistletoe powder.
: The jar of invisibility ointment is nearly full of a thick, oily substance.

: Gwydion was normally the sentimental type. But he gave the house not even a passing thought as he looked at the magic map to leave it for the last time. He had endured nearly eighteen years of abuse in that horrible place and wanted nothing more to do with it. So just like that, he left for the small village in Llewdor.

These fellows look trustworthy.

>talk to captain

: The sailors peer at Gwydion through bleary eyes, and continue swilling their rum. One, who looks like a captain, pauses, and drunkenly slurs...

: Aye, me bucko, be ya wantin' passage on me ship? Whatcha runnin' from? Aw, s'no matter. 's long as ya got gold. Les me see how much ya got!

These fine chaps are obviously pirates. Gwydion, thanks to Manannan's sheltered upbringing, has no idea. So let's play along and see where this takes us...

>give gold to captain

: As Gwydion brins out the purse, the captain snatches it from his hand.

: Aye lad, I sees ya do have a wee bit 'o gold. It's less'n me reg'lar fare, but I'll gives ya passage anyways. We'll be waitin' fer ya at the wharf, but not fer long.

: The captain and his men down their run in one long draught, then leave the tavern.

It is a pretty nice ship.

: As the gangplank is drawn in, Gwydion hears the Captain shout to his men.

: Take 'is things an put 'im in the 'old until I figures out what ta do with 'im.

: Gwydion has a sneaking suspicion that he has made a bit mistake. These are pirates!

By the way, if we hadn't turned Manannan into a kitty cat, this is where he would appear to strike you dead, regardless of what he was previously doing. This ship here is also the hard time limit I mentioned. Once you finish the Oracle sequence, the pirates pull into port, and leave after exactly half an hour has passed.

NEXT TIME: The infamous ship sequence.

List of Points

+1 - Powdered toadstools
+1 - Toad drool
+10 - Kissed a rock
+10 - Boiled seawater and put mud in it
+10 - Lard makes you invisible
+3 - Bought passage from Llewdor

Total: 172/210

Register of Deaths

Falling off the mountain path x2
Teleport accident
Storms are brewing on your head x3
Where did you go, Gwydion? x2

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

: Nothing like a little salt air to perk up a boy's spirits. All things being equal, Gwydion might have enjoyed this ocean voyage... however, he has found his accommodations to be slightly less than satisfactory.

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest III. Today's update is entirely about the ship. I want you all to savor the experience. By the way, you should have read that previous sentence with as much contempt and venom as humanly possible.

This is, without a doubt, the worst part of the game. So put on some appropriate music and """enjoy""" the boat sequence.

So instead of imprisoning Gwydion in the brig, the pirates just kinda dumped him in the ship's cargo hold.

42:16

So first things first, we want to go to the screen on the right.

>get crate

The rats running around will be useful later, but for right now all we care about is the crate.

This small crate will help us get up on the larger one, which will help us escape.

>drop crate
>jump on crate
>jump on crate
>jump

The pirate captain will occasionally be in his room. If that's the case, just climb up and down the ladder until he isn't. Trust me, you won't miss anything if the RNG trolls you here.

>look

: This must be the Captain's cabin. He seems to be a bit more tidy than his maes, as the room is clean and orderly. Against one wall rests his bunk with a large chest at its foot. Across the room is his desk with a chart tacked to the wall.

>look chart

: Gwydion stares at the chart tacked to the wall. It traces the route the ship is now sailing. It leaves Llewdor, crossing a wide ocean, and arriving at the foot of a mountain range. An "X" has been marked at the arrival point.

>look desk

: Gwydion gazes with interest at the Captain's desk. The desk top is very neat, holding only writing implements. Curiously, he opens a drawer or two. There is nothing of interest among the charts and logbooks. Quickly, he closes them again.

Alright, then. So the only other thing mentioned was the chest, so...

>open chest
>look in chest

: Gwydion has found all of his missing possessions! He takes them with him.

43:16

And because we can, let's poke around some more. There looks to be a way off to the left so...

This is a neat looking screen I suspect many people don't see. There's nothing to do out here. So let's go back to the mid level of the ship and look around outside the Captain's cabin.

>look

: Gwydion looks curiously around. Out a porthole, he sees the swell of the ocean. A device for turning the ship's rudder sets in the floor. A rope ladder extends up through an opening in the ceiling.

>look device

: What's a device?

:mad: Let's just go right some more.

: Oh no! One of the crew has spotted you, Gwydion! You'd better run.

Crew can randomly be on screens while you're sneaking around the ship. If that happens, just leave and return until they're not there. If you get caught, they toss you down in the hold and take all your stuff back. I think if you repeatedly get caught, you eventually will be made to walk the plank.

That looks like a shovel next to that boat. These guys threw me in the hold and took my stuff, so I'm stealing their shovel in return.

>get shovel

As long as you don't barge in the Captain's cabin, he doesn't notice that you're running around the ship. Fine with me, to be honest.

Now that we have our stuff, and we have their shovel, we just... wait. So let's hang out with the rats.

44:01

: Do you know where the pirates are taking us?
: I heard them talking about a buried treasure chest. I think it's buried on a beach, and they're going to dig it up.
: Oh, I remember! Remember when they first buried the treasure? It was on a small beach, and behind the beach was a high mountain range. I remember hearing one pirate say that nobody has ever crossed those mountains alive.

And another conversation...

: You know the pirate's buried treasure?
: What about it?
: Well I just heard the captain talking about it with one of his men. He said it was buried... now let me see if I can remember. Oh, yeah! He said it was buried near a lone palm tree. From the palm, you walk five paces to the east and start digging.
: Too bad we can't do anything about it.

Those mice are very chatty. Anyway, now we just wait.

45:01

46:00

47:00

I'm going to count by every minute that passes. I had to suffer through this, and by god so are you all. Just wait a full minute in between reading each sentence for proper effect.

48:00

49:00

We've been on this boat for seven minutes. We've been waiting for five.

50:00

51:00

It was at this point that I was very unhappy. I started to get bored. Yes I know it's only been 7 minutes. That's still seven full minutes of doing literally nothing but waiting.

>stir brew with finger
>brew of storms churn it up

: It seems that your storm has backfired.

52:00

I'm still bored.

>rub stone

The teleport stone just kinda randomly moves you around the immediate area. You can't ever change major game areas with it. You can't, for instance, go from Llewdor to the pirate ship, or from Manannan's house to Llewdor. Anywhere to Daventry is right out. But you can use it to have a little fun looking at places you wouldn't normally see.

: A burly pirate has noticed Gwydion from inside the crow's nest! Before Gwydion can even react, the pirate yells...
: Yer dead meat, Bucko!
: The pirate then slashes at Gwydion with his sword. He misses, but the prince loses his balance. Down he tumbles... to his untimely death.

Still experimenting with the teleport stone. The ship's galley is a screen that doesn't serve any purpose, but it's pretty neat it exists all the same. The cook will chase you if he catches you inside.

gently caress waiting, let's make a break for it.

So once you're in the water, there's no turning back.

This is seven screens and like 35 seconds later.

: Gwydion has reached the limits of his strength. He panics and starts to struggle hopelessly.

Fine. We'll go back to waiting.

53:00

54:00

It has now been 10 minutes since we got our poo poo back, and we've been on the ship for 12. Please re-read that sentence. We have been on this same section for twelve loving minutes, ten of which have been straight waiting.

When I described the gnome puzzle in the first game, I was more astounded at the lovely puzzle design than anything else. This section right here has made me legitimately angry. Just typing this update, I've gotten mad about it all over again.

There is simply no excuse for this. I can't even properly articulate on how many levels how bad this design is. It's not even a loving puzzle, either. We just have to wait until the RNG randomly decides to let us continue playing. Even better, if you never leave this screen there's no chance of randomly dying either.

55:00 by the way.

That timer says 56:01. If you remember back to the start of the update, when we got control on the ship, the timer said 42:16. I said it up above, but it bears repeating. Thirteen minutes and forty five seconds of dead time in the middle of a game is indefensible.

I was honestly shocked when the "land ho" call came at 56:01. In my test run for the game, and in other LPs I've watched, the call always came around 1:01:01. So the fact that I didn't have to wait an additional five minutes on top of the nearly fourteen I already waited was a relief.

NEXT TIME: We get off the ship and get on with the game.

List of Points

+2 - Got on the ship
+2 - Climbed up to midlevel
+3 - Robbed the pirates
+1 - Petty shovel theft

Total: 180/210

Register of Deaths

Fell out of the crow's nest
Drowned

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest III. Last time, we left off on this most welcome sight. Let's get the hell out of this boat, what do you say?

Looking around, I'd say this cargo hold qualifies as "a dark, dank place." So...

>pour sleeping powder on floor
>slumber henceforth

: As Gwydion's sleep spell takes effect, a silence suddenly descends over the ship.

Looks like the captain was lucky enough to make it to his bed before succumbing to the sleeping powder. Good for him!

We briefly saw this screen in the bamf-fest from last time, but this is half of the upper level of the ship. The galley is directly behind where we are now. But never mind that, freedom awaits!

So do you see that gray depressed area just behind Gwydion? That's an open hatch into the cargo area. In my test run for the game, I got to this point and fell into it. Falling from a screen up is a death sentence, and I hadn't saved since before starting the waiting game.

I was not happy at having to wait twice.

Like last time, we're left in the ocean. But thankfully we're very close to land.

Very, very close. All we gotta do is swim to shore...

Yeah, that's a dick move from the game. The shark is faster than Gwydion, so if you don't change screens to reset its position...

: Gosh! You barely made a mouthful for that hungry shark!

A PC Speaker rendition of the Jaws theme plays while you're on the screen with the shark. It's pretty neat.

So looking at the screen, there's a lone palm tree with mountains in the background. The pirates were heading here anyway, so...

: Gwydion has uncovered a small chest. He removes it from the hole and opens it. Inside he finds precious gems and ingots of gold and silver. He closes the chest and takes it with him.

If I'm not mistaken, this treasure makes up some of the few optional points you can collect. I think it's just this chest and the two optional spells, teleporting and understanding animals. I suppose you could also consider the sleeping powder optional. But if you sneak off the ship without putting the pirates to bed, there's a chance one will appear on the beach to harass you.

So now that we're on land again, we're in the endgame of King's Quest III. The vast majority of this end sequence is teacherous platforming. We can skip some of it by using the teleport stone, but why not show it off?

The landscape is still pretty, at least.

So are you ready for some more bullshit? It looks like the path just ends there, with no way to continue. Do you know what the game expects you to do?

At no point does the game ever mention that Gwydion can scale sheer cliff faces. You can only ever do it on these last few screens, too.

Well, up and around...

Heh. Blue mountains. I guess Daventry is in the eastern united states.

Another dead end. While it looks like the path continues to the right, that's actually the edge of a cliff. So let's stop for a break.

>drink water

: Your arms are not that long.
: Uh, what? :confused:

No, really. The game says that.

I have no idea what the heck. Anyway, in spite of what you might think is safe and doable, the path forward is to climb up the waterfall.

I'm serious.

Anyway, this screen is one of the last of its kind in the King's Quest series. This and the following two are danger screens.

: What is this thing? OH, NO! It's the abominable snowman.

: The abominable snowman seems quite confused by this! He stares in amazement, then heads back to his cave.

Well, poo poo.

Four random teleports later...

And we're back here, this time without the snowman to harass us.

: The terrible, hairy creature grabs Gwydion with bone-crushing force! He reists, but it is no use. The creature carries him away to its cave, where Gwydion meets an early (and unspeakable) demise.

:stare:

So the abominable snowman is programmed to always show up on the third screen.

>dip fly in essence

You may have missed that last message, so let me repeat it here.

: Gwydion's magic essence is all gone.

The essence is one of those things that I'm pretty sure can't run out until this point. Admittedly, I haven't tried using it all the time, but it's one of only two ways to defeat the abominable snowman. The other being randomly teleporting to the screen and leaving off the bottom before it appears.

Speaking of leaving off the bottom, when we do so...

: Bravely, Gwydion grasps the ice laden rocks, and attempts to scale the nearby vertical wall. Be careful!

: Gwydion congratulates himself on successfully eluding the abominable snowman.

Now that we're past the abominable snowman, there's only four more random death screens left in the entire series. All four are in the next title and are sequential.

So this screen... this screen is a bastard and a half. You remember the beanstalk segment from the first game? This is that, but even worse with the random falling. If you clip the edge of anything, you're gonna die.

: Boy, are these caves dark!

The first bit was just a taste of the dickishness of this next segment. We have to climb onto the wall to the left, and very carefully navigate our way down and around to the ledge below. Do you see how narrow the wall gets? Yeah, you're going to die here. You're going to die here a lot.

Oh by the way, we just passed an hour. Just think, an hour ago we were being ordered to sweep the floor and now here we are climbing across mountains that nobody has ever crossed and lived.

:smug: First try.

I died somewhere between 8 and 13 times on this section alone in my test run.

Alright, across the bottom now.

The worst of the screen has passed. All that's left is this one, admittedly still dangerous, segment.

And the screen was going so well, too. Oh well.

So once at this point, we're home free.

After that last screen, this is a piece of cake.

This is the final area in the game, and this is where we're going to pause for now.

NEXT TIME: The end of King's Quest III.

List of Points

+5 - Escaped the pirates
+7 - Money in the ground
+4 - Confused a yeti

Total: 196/210

Register of Deaths

Shark bait ooh haa haa
Fell off the dick cliffs

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome to the final update of King's Quest III.

: Whoops, you slipped.

That first step is kind of a mean trick. Sure falling doesn't hurt you, but you still fall a single frame after entering the screen. Not cool, game.

So let's go to the left for no particular reason.

While I never showed off the AGI version of King's Quest I, there's no mistaking this screen. Looks like Graham had the well filled in sometime in the past 17 years.

>look

: The countryside of Daventry looks as if it had once been beautiful. But now, trees are charred, a chasm splits the earth, and wildflowers no longer grow. Nearby is an old, broken-down well that someone has filled with rocks. It's useless now.

Pictured, Graham's Daventry.

>look

: Gwydion stares at the run-down shack. Upon the porch, a withered gnome rocks in a creaky old rocking chair, whistling a merry tune. The shack leans heavily to one side and Gwydion wonders why it doesn't fall.

We'll talk to the gnome momentarily. First...

The castle.

>knock on door

: Gwydion loudly raps upon the massive wooden doors of the castle, Hollowly, emptily, the sound reverberates within. No one answers.

>open door

: The huge doors of the castle are bolted shut. Try as he might, Gwydion cannot open them.

So no tearful reunion while Rosella is in danger.

A neat touch I like is that the castle garden has some plants from Kolyma in it. :3: Anyway, let's go talk to the gnome.

>talk to gnome

: Er, hello. Am I right in guessing that this is Daventry?
: The gnome chuckes softly to himself before replying.
: It's about time you got here lad... I mean, Prince Alexander. Welcome home! Heaven knows, we need you. Daventry's been suffering for years now since that despicable dragon came.
: The old gnome narrows his eyes to slits and leans forward in his chair.
: That monster demanded the sacrifice of your sister, Princess Rosella, and I'm afraid time is running out. Your parents, the King and Queen, are suffering from such grief that they have locked themselves in yon castle and refuse to see anyone. It's up to you, Alexander. Your country and family need you. It's written in the wind.
: The wizened gnome relaxes and settles back in his chair. He begins whistling again.

So looks like we have our work cut out for us. It also looks like Graham is the worst king imaginable. Wouldn't it have been prudent to, y'know, call up the kingdom's levies and march a whole army up to deal with the dragon? Surely hiding in the castle and acquiescing to every stupid demand the beast makes is the worst possible thing to do. This is why armies exist in the first place.

Me, during King's Quest I posted:

In the 1984 release, the caves weren't a stupid platforming segment. They were, instead, just a couple screens where Graham had to walk up a staircase in the mountain. The Dwarf could still ambush you, but it was a lot harder to fall down.

Welcome, then, to the AGI staircase.

To be fair I didn't say it was impossible to fall off, just harder.

: Darn those steps!

If you die on the first step... which I totally didn't do. Definitely not me, no. Anyway if you die on the first step, there's a different message.

: Watch that first step, it's a dilly!

: It feels strangely hot up here.

It's fully possible to come up here before you see the well, or meet Ifnkovhgroghprm. So the first hint you were actually in Daventry very well could be seeing Cloudland.

>look

: Looking around. Gwy--Alexander sees clouds surrounding this small bit of land like a white, cottony sea. Charred stumps of trees spoil the scene.

: This mystical cloud land may never cease to amaze you, but...

: ...it has ceased to support you. Enjoy the trip!

Okay that's legitimately funny.

: A huge, fire-breathing dragon is here and it has SEEN Alexander! Hypnotized by its baleful glare, he stands frozen in his tracks. What a way to go; ending up as a dragon's barbeque!

Alright so, a frontal assault won't work, and random teleportation doesn't sound useful in this circumstance. Our transformation essence is gone, our sleeping powder is gone, and the language dough isn't useful here either. The transfiguration cookie has been gone for more than half an hour at this point, so all we're left with is...

Looking around, there's plenty of fire and embers. And if clouds don't count for mist, then nothing ever will. So stealth mode engage!

>rub ointment on self

Alright, so the now-invisible Alexander can at least move around on the same screen without incident.

I wonder if we can sneak Rosella away...

>talk to girl

: She can't hear you. She's too busy screaming.

Fair enough.

>untie girl

: The dragon notices Princess Rosella being untied, and blasts both her and Alexander with a long, licking tongue of flame.

Let's do it right this time. The invisibility ointment only works for a very short period of time. You've got maybe a minute at best? But... we do have another spell at our disposal. I briefly showed it off on the ship, but it's otherwise been unused up to this point.

>stir brew with finger
>brew of storms churn it up

: Bolts of lightning strike the huge dragon. He howls in pain and falls to the ground... dead.

: Alexander's magic spell is wearing off!

>look dragon

: The dragon lies dead upon the ground. He was no match for the fury of Alexander's magical storm!

>look girl

: The girl is securely tied to the stake.

>talk to girl

: Help me!! Untie me!!

>untie girl

: Alexander rapidly unties Princess Rosella from the wooden pole. She looks bewildered as to who her benefactor may be.
: I'm your long-lost brother, Prince Alexander.
: Rosella looks doubtful. Any yahoo off the street can, and has, claimed to be her long-lost brother. She was used to the whole song and dance by now, and crossed her arms with a frown.
: Realizing that now is not the time, Alexander holds up his hands in an offering of peace.
: I'll explain it all later. Just follow me. Let's go meet the folks!
: With mixed emotions, and no small amount of healthy skepticism, Rosella agrees. It was better than standing around the corpse of the dragon, at any rate.

: How can I be sure you're really my brother? My mother alwyays said that Alexander had a birthmark on his bottom. If you really want to prove you are who you say you are, I need to see it.
: Are you serious? You really want our reunion to be me showing you my bare bottom?
: Rosella flatly stares at... who even is this kid?
: Alexander.
: Fine, whatever. Rosella flatly stares at Alexander while the man claiming to be her brother grows more and more visibly uncomfortable.
: Alexander finally sighs and shows off his birthmark.

: Oh Alexander! You really ARE back! Mum and Dad will be SOOOOOO happy!

I did not make that up. Well, not all of it. Naturally, the Lotus didn't have a conversation with Rosella's narrator, but...

Moving on. Time for the last death of the game!

: No fair taking short cuts!

Rosella can get lost on the way down the stairs. Don't worry too much about her.

: There's home! Mum and Dad will be SOOOOOO happy!

I don't know why, but on this screen, the Smurfs theme starts playing. :shrug:

: Oh YIPPEE! You did it, your majesty!! I KNEW you could save us all. King Graham and Queen Valanice will be overjoyed to see you two. I must run ahead to announce your arrival!

: The castle doors are wide open to welcome home a long-missing son, and a much-loved daughter. Atop the castle, the banners proudly wave. The heavy feeling of oppression is gone; hope has at last returned to Daventry!

: Alexander nerviously enters the throme room with his sister, Princess Rosella. Before the twin thrones stand his parents, King Graham and Queen Valanice. Both parents are overjoyed to see their son.

: Alexander, where have you been all these years?
: I'm so proud of both of you!

: King Graham points to the mirror.
: That was once a magic mirror, son. But, it has been clouded ever since you disappeared from your cradle.

Good to know. The one magical treasure that could have helped Graham find Alexander 17 years ago loving broke when it was needed the most. What a useful mirror.

: Before Alexander's astonished eyes, the magic mirror clears, and shines anew with brilliant clarity.
: The terrible dragon is dead, and our children are home, and the future looks bright for us all!

: King Graham lovingly retrieves his adventurer's hat with the red feather.
: Alexander, Rosella, this old hat and I have been through a lot together. Now, it's time he had a new travelling companion.
: Graham flings the hat toward his children.

: Congratulations on your successful completion of King's Quest III!!! We hope you have enjoyed playing as much as we enjoyed creating it for you. May the adventuring continue with King's Quest IV!

So I'll see you guys next time for King's Quest IV!

Total List of Points

+1 - Clearing the Table
+1 - Mixing bowl
+1 - Trusty knife
+1 - Serving spoon
+1 - I am Bread
+1 - Do you want a banana?
+1 - Mutton chops!
+1 - Fistful of cat fur
+4 - >drop all
+1 - Fly wings
+1 - Gwydion the vain
+1 - Rose petal perfume
+7 - The faded map
+3 - The small brass key
+4 - Stealing the wand
+5 - Finding the hidden lever
+1 - Raiding Manannan's spice rack
+10 - Yer a wizard, Gwydion
+2 - Dried acorns
+5 - Doing Perseus' job
+1 - Harvesting peyote
+1 - Gwydion the skin collector
+2 - This porridge is juuuust right
+1 - Stealing a thimble
+1 - Getting dew
+3 - Hidden ladder
+2 - A treefort!
+4 - Stealing from bandits
+1 - Mistletoe
+1 - Streamside mud
+1 - Salt water
+1 - Pet the dog!
+1 - Bought salt
+1 - Bought fish oil
+1 - Bought lard
+1 - Bought pouch
+2 - Tail Feather
+1 - Mandrake root essence
+10 - The world's most disgusting cookie
+1 - Powdered fish bone
+10 - WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU
+1 - Deadly nightshade
+10 - Patented sleep powder
+12 - We beat the wizard!
+3 - Spied on the bandits
+5 - Found the rope we used already
+4 - Taking the spider for a swim
+3 - Prince Gwydion
+1 - Powdered toadstools
+1 - Toad drool
+10 - Kissed a rock
+10 - Boiled seawater and put mud in it
+10 - Lard makes you invisible
+3 - Bought passage from Llewdor
+2 - Got on the ship
+2 - Climbed up to midlevel
+3 - Robbed the pirates
+1 - Petty shovel theft
+5 - Escaped the pirates
+7 - Money in the ground
+4 - Confused a yeti
+7 - Dragon slaying
+3 - Princess rescuing
+4 - Homecoming

Final Total: 210/210

Total Register of Deaths

Pissing off Manannan
Tripping over the loving cat x2
Getting stoned in the desert
Getting lost in the endless desert
Falling from the Tree Fort
Being thrown from the tree fort
Falling off the mountain path
That was a-mew-sing
Gwydion sees all
The better to hear you with, my dear
Eternal slumber
Amusing the cat
Meow meow meow meow
Pissing off the wizard. Again.
Falling off the mountain path x2
Teleport accident
Storms are brewing on your head x3
Where did you go, Gwydion? x2
Falling out of the crow's nest
Drowning
Shark bait ooh haa haa
Falling off the dick cliffs
Falling off the Cloudland steps x2
Falling off Cloudland
Dragon barbeque
Murder-suicide
Taking a shortcut

Final Total: 33 Deaths

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 8, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Village? Llewdor has a village. Daventry has a house.

It's true. Daventry basically has the royal family, the drat gnome, and the goat from the first game.

And I'm pretty sure that after this game, the gnome fucks off to Serenia, the country to the north of Daventry.

EDIT: Oh, right. Expect the first KQIV update later this week. I need to actually sit down and record it first. :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

KQ4 begins later this evening. But until then, have a shot of the game over screen...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

King's Quest III ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. King Graham and Valanice were so happy to have Alexander back after 17 years, and he was just about to pass on the feathered adventurer's cap when the game suddenly ended.

King's Quest IV picks up right where III left off. So we'll be seeing not only who got the cap, but the immediate fallout of that event. If you want a slight spoiler, the game's subtitle is "The Perils of Rosella" and we just ended a game where we were controlling Alexander.

As far as improvements, we're playing the SCI version of King's Quest IV. You may remember the SCI engine being the one I very, very briefly showed off at the start of King's Quest I. While I'm sure there were all manner of technology improvements with the new engine, the big one here is that typing commands actually pauses the game!

Spoilers

Don't be a dick. Unlike the previous game, this one doesn't have a lot in the way of plot. There are some good old fashioned dumbass puzzles, though.

The Updates

#1 - Introduction
#2 - Wandering Around
#3 - Rosella and the Seven Dwarves
#4 - Trading Sequence
#5 - A Whale of a Tale
#6 - The Unicorn Tamer
#7 - Game Ogre
#8 - The Cave
#9 - Zombies and Ghosts
#10 - Pandora's Box
#11 - Shot Through the Heart
#12 - Savior of Tamir
#13 - Savior of Graham

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 7, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, welcome to King's Quest IV.

Well, no. Admittedly it is not. I think we should watch the ten minute introduction all the same. It does cover all the five pertinent questions.

: With the return of his long-lost son, Alexander, and the rescue of his daughter, Rosella, from the terrible dragon, old King Graham decides it's time to pass on his adventurer's hat to younger blood. With a flick of his wrist, the hat flies toward both children, while his wife, Queen Valanice, proudly looks on.

: All eyes are on the hat as it all-too-slowly flies toward both children. In the moment, nobody notices the growing distress on Graham's face.

: The adventurer's hat lies, unclaimed, upon the floor... forgotten.

: I'm not reading that out loud. Who even says Father Death?

: Oh, father! You're still young; you should have many years ahead of you! Oh, I wish I could help you!
: Do you really mean that?
: Who's speaking to me?
: Rosella looks up but sees no one.
: I am. Look in the magic mirror.

: Who are you?

: I am the fairy, Genesta. In my land of Tamir there is a remarkable tree. This tiny tree needs one hundred years to bear a single fruit. But, this is no ordinary fruit; for if a person were to eat it, they would find that good health and well-being would be theirs for many years.

: Where is the land of Tamir?
: Rosella thought this was the best news she had heard since she had been rescued, just hours before.
: Tamir is very far away. But with my magic, I can bring you here.
: Rosella was no fool. Graham and Valanice both raised her to use her brain. She could see the mother of all catches coming.
: But, I suppose there are some problems?

: Yes, you are correct, Rosella. If you are willing to come to Tamir, I will explain the situation. However, once I bring you here, I can't send you back; you will have to help me first.

: I don't know! What if I can't help you; or find the tree?
: You must decide NOW, Rosella. My powers are growing weaker by the minute.

: The image of the fairy has reduced to just a faint glimmer.
: If you care for your father, say "yes" now!
: With that final emotional twist, the image fades from the magic mirror.
: What choice did Rosella have? With her teeth firmly set, she called out to the empty room.
: YES!

: I am the fairy, Genesta. Welcome to Tamir!

: Rosella frowns at the fairy.
: What is the matter?
: You offer me the promise of a magical cure for my dying father, but won't tell me anything about the task you want me to accomplish in return. Instead you try to make it sound like any doubts I had were just me being an uncaring, unfeeling monster. At the very least, you owe me answers.
: That's... fair.

:stonk: Close up portraits are not King's Quest IV's strength. Good lord.

: I'm losing my magical powers. Yesterday as I was strolling through the woods, Lolotte, the evil fairy, caught me unawares and stole my magic talisman. She yanked it from my neck and raced away screeching with laughter. Immediately I felt my powers diminishing and my body weakening. I will die in 24 hours if my talisman is not returned.
: Lolotte is very evil and will use the talisman to bring more evil to Tamir. Now I fear it will contaminate my whole country! Further, I cannot send you home without my talisman.
: I already made my decision to help, but how?
: You can do more than you think, Rosella. I believe you will be able to penetrate Lolotte's domain.

These portraits are not very flattering. Thankfully after this intro, they're gone until the end of the game.

: Can you tell me where to find the magic fruit?
: It will not be easy to reach the tree. It grows on a tiny island within a vast swamp on the other side of the great mountains.
: And Lolotte, where can I find her?
: The fairy points eastward, at the ominous mountains in the distance.
: Lolotte's castle overlooks Tamir from the great mountains. There is not much more I can do, Rosella. As it is, it will be difficult for me to fly home again. There is one thing I must do for you, though. I shall disguise you as a peasant girl so as not to attract attention.

: Thanks... I think.
: It will be easier for you this way. Well, I must be off while I can still fly. I KNOW you can do it!

: Well, you're on your own Rosella.

Now, I could cut it there. But let's have a little fun...

First off, the menu is much the same as it ever was. Speed is now an analog scale instead of four discrete settings.

I like to leave speed at two marks from the top. That way Rosella moves decently quick without feeling like she's out of control.

A screen north, there's a small cliff. So let's see how Rosella handles a 10 foot drop...

I already said portraits are not this game's strong suit. Meet the game over screen, where a really awful 16 color bitmap of Roberta Williams grins at you and tells you to "next time... be more careful."

NEXT TIME: We'll actually get started by wandering around.

Register of Deaths

Cliff diving

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 16, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Welcome back to King's Quest IV. With that long intro out of the way, let's get down to business. You may recall that we were left on the shore with no direction. So let's just aimlessly wander around and see what we can find.

This unicorn randomly appears on many of the otherwise empty screens in the game. It runs off if we get in the same zip code, so we'll just deal with it later.

I mentioned this in the OP, but the game now pauses while we type in commands. This will come in handy in a several situations. Even just typing a letter brings up this box, which will give you all the time in the world to think or type.

>look unicorn

: Rosella sees a beautiful, wild unicorn in the meadow. Its coat is dapple-grey, and its horn shines like gold. Sensing her approach, the unicorn shies and runs away.

Alright, hold on...

Here we go, a nice high quality map of Tamir. We started on the beach near the bottom left corner, and we're on the screen with the stump now. Screens in this game, as you can see, have a lot more variety between them so you don't really need a map. And I'm not really going to reference it past this point.

On the screen north of the stump, this little satyr will randomly show up.

>look satyr

: Rosella sees a lively creature who is, at the same time, both man and goat. This satyr, whose name is Pan, seems to be greatly enjoying his flute music.
: The tune somehow seemed familiar to Rosella...

>talk to pan
: Rosella attempts to speak to Pan, but he pays her no mind; he's too wrapped up in his flute music.

Pan is part of a future puzzle that we'll get to eventually.

Same with this screen. Though this screen being empty is admittedly more bad luck on my part than "we can't do this yet." It's a very nice looking screen, at least. A classical architecture pool just randomly out in the wilderness isn't something you're gonna see very often.

This screen is the first one we can potentially do something about. There's a small puzzle here that needs an item from a nearby screen.

>look

: Numerous water lillies float serenely upon the little pond nestled in the woods. Atop one of the bigger lily pads, Rosella notices a rather large frog... wearing a little gold crown!

However, if we get in the pond, the frog gets scared off. So how do we re-enact the obvious fairy tale staring us in the face?

The answer to the riddle lies one screen south. See if you can't figure out what to do just from looking at this image.

>look

: A gentle stream meanders its way through the trees. A rustic stone bridge crosses its path.

This was still 1980s Sierra. You have to be very specific about what you want to do.

>look under bridge

: Rosella kneels down and peers under the bridge. Aha! She finds a small golden ball that she takes with her.

Sadly there's no item descriptions that I've been able to find. Anyway, with the ball in hand we can finish reenacting this fairy tale.

>drop ball

: Rosella "accidentally" drops the golden ball into the pond. From atop a lily pad, a large green frog leaps into the water, and disappears from view. A moment later, the frog emerges with... YES!... her lost ball in its mouth. It seems as if the frog is kindly returning Rosella's ball to her.

If you look closely, you can see the frog and the small gold ball on the pond's northeastern shore. So let's

>get frog

: Scrunching up her nose in disgust, Rosella catches the large frog and holds it in her hand. It stares at her with its big bulgy eyes, and wobbles its throat.

Yep... that's a frog alright.

>kiss frog

: Rosella looks at the frog's green lips. Mmmmm. Good. She feels silly doing this, as she slowly puts her mouth against the frog's.

: Suddenly, the little green frog changes into a handsome prince!
: Who are you? I thought you were supposed to be a princess?! Why, you're nothing more than a PEASANT girl!
: Rosella blanches at the remark, but says nothing.
: Well, ta-ta. I'm off. Here, you may keep THIS!
: To her surprise, the prince tosses the little golden crown at her as he leaves.
: Good riddance...

We're now free to leave the ball on the edge of the pond, as we don't have any further use for it. But...

>get ball

It's our ball and we ain't giving that poo poo up.

Over to the east of the pond we find this creepy sight.

>look

: This run-down, gloomy cemetery gives Rosella the creeps! Many of the old tombstones have fallen over, and the entire place is overgrown with weeds.

There's nothing we can do here until much, much later in the game. In fact, this cemetery is one of the last locations we're going to visit before we're locked into the endgame.

Like the cemetery on either side of it, this manor is the setpiece for the last bit of the game. There's a few things we can do in it this early on, but for the most part it's all relegated to the late game.

It's, uh, also the ancestral home of the Wateley family, making this Whateley Manor. It's a creepy mansion surrounded by a creepy graveyard, named for the family from an HP Lovecraft story where the two children were sired by an elder god. No points for guessing that there's gonna be some spooky poo poo going down later.

>look house

: This is not a pleasant house; in fact, it's downright scary! It looks old and abandoned, and badly in need of tender-loving-care. To make matters worse, it sits right in the middle of an old cemetery.

Let's go in!

This needs a little mood music.

>look

: This is the entry room of the old house. Downstairs, Rosella can see two open doorways, and upstairs two additional doors. The room is cobwebbed and dusty, with wallpaper peeling from the walls.

>look clock

: An old grandfather clock sits in the corner. With each swing of its pendulum, time relentlessly marches on...

>read time

: The time is: 8:10 A.M.

Generally, time passes at a 1:1 ratio with the real world. Though I think the game fudges the details a little. The intro lasted 10 minutes by itself, and this is 3 minutes into the game proper. The game has a "strict" 24 hour time limit. That is to say, you have 24 real time hours to complete it or you get a nonstandard game over. Presumably.

The manual claims this is the case, and I've seen some rumblings on the Internet that it's true. I don't really have the time or patience to leave the game running for that long to check, and we'll see much later on that the developers learned from the... boat segment... of the previous game.

So while the game functionally has a time limit, even the slowest player on the slowest speed possible will win long before that point.

Moving on... the dining room is one of those rooms that you may never have to enter. There's no items to pick up in here, nor in the kitchen behind it. It also kind of reminds me of Mananarama's dining room, just without the picnic table in the middle of the room.

>look

: This old dining room has seen better days. The long table is littered with crumbs and dust, and against the wall, the empty hutch is covered with cobwebs.

The kitchen I mentioned before. Seriously, this reminds me of Manacannon's house.

>look

: The old kitchen is quite bare. The fireplace has been cold for years, and the dusty pantry is empty but for old crumbs.

This is on the west side of the entrance hall. This is the only room we really need to concern ourselves with for the moment.

>look

: Considering the disarray of the rest of the house, the parlor looks in relatively good order. However, the fireplace is cold and unsued, the bookshelves are almost bare, and the old furnishings are dusty.

Mr. Payne there mentioned that the bookshelves were almost bare. Maybe there's something on them.

>look bookshelf

: Rosella examines the few remaining books on the bookshelves. Only one catches her attention; it is entitled "The Compleat Works of William Shakespeare." She pulls it from the shelf and carries it with her.

That portrait hanging over the mantle also stands out.

>look portrait

: An interesting portrait of a young girl hangs over the firelace. Rosella gazes at it intently, and notices that her eyes seem to stare at the left wall of the parlor.

>look wall

: Rosella examines the left wall very closely and notices a little latch. She flips it and discoveres a secret door in the wall.

This shovel is something we won't need until the super late game, but having it means we won't have to come back later. There's also no point in climbing the stairs just yet. It's two screens tall, and all that's at the top is an old pipe organ.

Like most things in this part of the map, we'll be back much, much later in the game.

>get shovel

If you want a picture of hate and spite for this game, this is it. When the time comes, I'll cover exactly why. But for now, understand that this shovel is very much in the same boat as that bridge from King's Quest II.

Whateley Manor is behind us, and this screen is pretty much just for filling in space on the map. Though if you look, you can see a little bird pulling a worm out of the ground.

If you get close, the bird flies off and leaves the worm behind. We'll need this in the not too distant future, so...

>get worm

Does this mean that we walk with rhythm? :v:

This cute little house under a tree is west of where we found the worm. The first screen with the cemetery is directly north, and the bridge where we found the golden ball is to the west.

Tamir is a very cozy little country. With the exception of a small handful of screens, we've seen pretty much everything there is to see.

NEXT TIME: Rosella the housekeeper

List of Points

+2 - A stray golden ball
+5 - Kissed a frog
+2 - Shakespeare Omnibus
+4 - Secret door
+2 - Shovel
+2 - The worm

Total: 17/230

Register of Deaths

None this time!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 16, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest IV. This is a cute little house, so let's see what's going on with it.

>knock

: Rosella knocks loudly on the small door. No answer.

Let's go in. It's unlocked and nobody's home. That's an implicit invitation right?

That's a pretty large pile of dishes scattered all around.

>look

: This is the main room of the Seven Dwarfs' cozy tree house. What a mess it is!

Oh. Well I guess this belongs to the Seven Dwarfs. I guess that means Rosella is Snow White?

Oh geez. Of course seven bachelors living in a small two room cottage would turn the place into a disaster zone. They probably won't mind if we

>clean house

While Rosella is cleaning with astounding speed, some music plays.

King's Quest IV - Cleaning House

I'm impressed at how quickly Rosella cleaned up. Even if she did just wind up sweeping all the dirt into the broom closet.

: From off in the distance, Rosella hears the unmistakable sound of many people approaching the house. She quietly watches as seven dwarves file through the door, one by one. Each one fills a bowl full of soup and takes a seat at the table.

King's Quest IV - Dwarf House

The game v e r y s l o w l y repeats the process with the first six dwarves.

The last dwarf takes an eternity getting his soup.

: This dwarf must be really hungry; he's getting two bowls of soup!

: The Seven Dwarves seem very pleased that Rosella tidied their messy home.

: What is your name, lass?
: Rosella.
: 's a good name. C'mon over and sit down. I got you some soup. Least we can do after you cleaned our house.

This section of the game has a lot of long and annoying animations. Once Rosella sits down, there's a full minute of all eight of them just silently eating soup.

: Before too long, it's time for the little men to return to the mine.
: Goodbye, and thanks for the soup!

Followed by 25 seconds of each Dwarf taking his sweet rear end time lumbering out of the house. By the way, the initial "each dwarf arrives and gets soup" extended animation takes around a minute and a half.

It's a cute scene, but it's very time intensive.

: Rosella also finishes her soup. On reflecting, she imagines it might be the best soup she has ever tasted. Or perhaps she was just really hungry.
: Look, I've had a very long, very tiring day. That soup was the first meal I ate since before I got tied to that stake next to the giant dragon.

Now there's no need to do so again, but it's only polite.

>clean table

It looks like one of the dwarves left a pouch behind on the table.

>get pouch

That's a pouch full of diamonds. One of them is going to be looking for this. Let's go return it.

One screen south of the dwarves' house is this little hillside mine. This is where the dwarves work when they're not at home.

King's Quest IV - Dwarf Mine

>look

: Diamonds glitter and sparkle from the earthen walls of the Seven Dwarves' diamond mine. Within it, Rosella sees the little men busily at work.

The dwarf who got us some soup is right over there, so let's go talk to him.

>talk to dwarf

: Hello mister dwarf!
: Rosella! What're you doing here? Don't you know this ain't no place for a fine girl like yourself.
: Rosella goes to answer but stops herself. She shakes her head, but doesn't otherwise respond.
: I think you left this on the dining room table in your house.

>give pouch to dwarf

The positioning is kind of finicky. I tried a few times before the game finally let me return the pouch here.

: The head dwarf frowns and looks at the pouch that the young human girl is offering him. His gruff exterior softens a bit when he sees her trying to return a pouch of priceless diamonds.
: Nah, you can keep it. We got plenty here. We also got an extra lantern we ain't using. Here go ahead and take it.
: The dwarf hands Rosella a lantern.
: Now, skedaddle on out of here!

If I'm being honest, the reason they aren't using this lantern is because it's useless. It doesn't illuminate for poo poo. We'll see just what I mean in much later in the game. Yes, technically we have everything we need to go through the caves. There's a much better time, in my opinion, to go after the fruit.

Oh boy, a mountain path. Genesta said that Lolotte lived in this direction, so this is probably the path to her lair.

Thankfully we don't have to walk up this incredibly narrow mountain path.

King's Quest IV - Lolotte's Goons

If you click the music link, beware of semi-major spoilers. The only KQ4 soundtrack on youtube was a 27 minute video with every song consecutively. The person who made the video included pictures of the relevant game parts with it.

The above link has 2-3 seconds with a location from extremely late in the game before it changes to the mountain path.

King's Quest IV - Audience with Lolotte

For some reason, this tune is the one that keeps getting stuck in my head.

: Well, my pets. What have you drug home today?
: Lolotte gives Rosella the once-over, and as she does so, her red eyes begin to narrow.
: Are you a foolish girl who wandered here by mistake... or are you a SPY sent here by my enemy, Genesta?!
: I'm just a poor girl who got lost and...
: Lolotte's eyes narrow to slits and she snarls. Rosella begins to tremble in fear.
: You don't look STUPID enough to have wandered HERE by mistake. You're obviously a spy.
: Now hold on...
: SILENCE! Take her to the cell!

Well poo poo. That could have gone better.

NEXT TIME: We try to escape from prison.

List of Points

+5 - Supped with Dwarves
+2 - Bag of Diamonds
+3 - Honesty has material rewards

Total: 27/230

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ulmont posted:

So is King's Quest IV peak Sierra Bullshit, or which King's Quest would you mark it at?

V, hands down. It has the most dead ends and dead man walking scenarios. The first four are all incredibly short. Meanwhile, #5, even if you know what you're doing, will take several hours to clear at minimum. Those extra hours were all stuffed to the gills with some pretty nasty bullshit.

Everyone always thinks of the rat "puzzle" or feeding the eagle, but I personally think of the nest encounter. There, if you don't grab an item that's only a few pixels on a screen you're only on for a minute at most, you will lose the game and not be aware of it until two hours later when a plot critical NPC will suddenly refuse to give you the time of day.

Of course, that's not to say that KQ4 doesn't have some bullshit. We're quickly arriving to what many people consider one of the most infuriating sections in the entire series.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, welcome back to King's Quest IV. We're in prison.

>look

: Rosella has found herself in a HORRIBLE cell! It looks as if others have found their way here, too. Hopefully, she won't end up like them!

There's a lot of stuff to look at here, but we can't do anything with any of it. We just need to hang out for a bit.

>look skeleton

: At least two unfortunate individuals have met their end here.

>look rack

: An ominous machine lurks in the corner of this cell. As to its purpose; Rosella doesn't want to know.

>sit

: You don't have time for that.

This pops up every time you try to sit down. I guess we don't have time to sit even when we have no choice but to stand around. :shrug:

Anyway, after a short time, usually just long enough to look at everything, the guards return.

: Rosella hears the henchmen returning. Perhaps they are setting her free!

: The henchmen motions for Rosella to follow him out of the cell...

: Lolotte gives Rosella a sickly-sweet look. With all the sincerity of a practised liar, and all the fake sweetness of a southern belle, she coos.
: You're lucky my dear. My precious son, Edgar, has taken a liking to you. He's convinced me to give you a chance to prove your innocence.
: Rosella looks at the homely young man standing next to Lolotte. He blushes.

Edgar.

: I wish to own the unicorn that inhabits the meadowland. Bring me the unicorn, and I shall not only set you free, but reward you as well.
: The witch addresses her henchmen.
: Go! Take her back to the forest!

Well, we have our first mission from Lolotte. It doesn't take a genius to guess she's going to milk our "help" for all that it's worth, so this is only the first of several tasks she's going to have us perform.

One screen north of the mountain path we can find this waterfall. Like other locations, it will be useful much later on. While there is something we could do with it now, we'll just save it for later.

East of Whateley Manor is this second graveyard screen, as well as a mausoleum carved into the mountain. Like most screens, we'll be back here much, much later.

King's Quest IV - Scary Forest

Looks legit.

>look

: Rosella has come upon a bizarre group of scary, human-like trees. A thick forest of pine trees surrounds this strange group. Steep mountains block your way to the east.

This forest is as dangerous as it looks.

: You've really gotten yourself out on a limb this time, Rosella!

We'll be back, say it with me now, later in the game.

This is two screens to the west, or one screen north of the first graveyard we visited. While this screen is simply there to add some room to the map, it is important to note all the same.

I was wrong in King's Quest III. This screen and the cabin to the north are also dangerous. Unlike the scary forest, this screen will randomly have a hostile rear end in a top hat spawn and chase you down. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is something to be aware of all the same.

Thankfully, after this game there are no more random death screens short of doing something stupid like "wandering through an endless desert" or entering the "here be dragons" part of a nautical map.

Both come up in the next game.

This pissed me off when it happened. Until this happened I legitimately had no idea this was a random death screen. To have an ogre spawn right on top of me as I entered the screen...

There's not even anything to learn from this death. "Sorry, you died because the RNG said so. Get hosed."

Reposting the Roberta Williams picture again. It's really hard to not read that line as sarcastic or taunting when bullshit like that happens.

So this stump we visited in the second update will randomly have a man sitting on top of it.

>look man

: Rosella sees a rather jaunty-looking fellow who appears to be a wandering minstrel. He seems to be a lute player.

: Hello there.
: Well, well. Who do we have here?
: I'm Rosella.
: Hello, Rosella. Let me play for you one of my favorite tunes.
: The minstrel starts strumming his lute and singing. His musical skills are quite limited, as he plunks and pings his way through what Rosella recognizes as an otherwise beautiful song.

: Rather than listen to the song be butchered any further, Rosella pulls out the Shakespeare book and begins to flip through it.

>read book

: To hold, as 'twere, the mirror up to nature; to show virtue her own feature, scorn her own image, and the very age and body of the time his form and pressure.

>read book

: How sour sweet music is when time is broke and no proportion kept! So is it in the music of men's lives.

>read book

: Kiss me, Kate, we will be married o' Sunday.
: By this point the minstrel has noticed Rosella with her nose stuck in the book. He starts leaning to get a better look.
: What are you reading there?
: It's one of my favorite books, the Compleat Works of William Shakespeare.
: Can I take a look?
: You can have it if you like.

>give book to minstrel

: Rosella hands the Shakespeare book to the minstrel. Curiously, he opens it and begins to read aloud; first hesitantly, then with increased forcefulness as he begins to get into it.
: What the... gently caress... did you... say to me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals!
: Suddenly, he stops and looks at Rosella.
: This is wonderful! This gives me a new lease on life! No longer am I a mere minstrel... now I will become a famous ACTOR! You can have this lute in exchange for your book!
: The minstrel hands Rosella his lute, bids her farewell, and walks off reading out loud from the book.

: For twelve years you've been asking "Who is John Galt!" This is John...

There's Pan. Now that we have the lute, we can play for him.

>play lute

: Pan has ceased his dancing and now looks at Rosella, and the lute, curiously. Once she finishes playing, Rosella walks over to the small satyr.
: Hello little guy. I'm Rosella.
: Pan doesn't respond, he just stares at Rosella with eyes as wide as saucers.
: Would you like this lute?
: Rosella holds the lute out for Pan. He gratefully takes it and gives her the flute in return. He then dances off, playing with his new instrument.

The area around this little gray house is our next destination. First, let's walk out onto the pier.

>look man

: Rosella sees a grizzled, old fisherman on the pier. Apparently, he isn't having any luck today.

A few seconds after you enter the screen, he packs up and walks back home.

>knock door

: Rosella loudly knocks on the shanty door.
: Jest come on in!

>talk to man

: No luck fishing?
: Them fish ain't been bitin' lately. If things don't git better soon, I don't know WHAT to do!

>talk to woman

: Hello ma'am.
: What're you doin' in here, young lady?! Can't you see I'm busy?! We have enough problems without worryin' 'bout you!

This couple is pretty poor, and Rosella has a box of infinite gold at home. So she doesn't need a pouch of diamonds. Maybe they can make better use of it?

>give pouch to man

: Rosella offers the pouch of diamonds to the fisherman, who takes it gladly.
: Wife, give the girl my fishing pole in trade.
: Obediently, she retrieves the pole and hands it to Rosella.
: Thank you very much. You have certainly helped us.

>talk to man

: You've really helped me, and the missus, girlie! Those diamonds will come in awful handy. We can't thank ya enough!

>talk to woman

: You're a very kind girl. You've helped us out a lot. Why, I might even be able ta buy some bran' new clothes!

>bait pole

: Scrunching up her delicate nose, Rosella gingerly baits the hook of the fishing pole with the large earthworm.

NEXT TIME: Let's go fishing. Also, the requisite "what the gently caress Sierra" moment of the game.

List of Points

+3 - Traded for a lute
+3 - Upgraded to a flue
+3 - Traded priceless diamonds for an old fishing pole
+1 - Baited the hook

Total: 37/230

Register of Deaths

Tree hugging
Ogre randomly appearing

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello and welcome back to King's Quest IV.

Last time we gave away a bag full of priceless diamonds to a very poor family. In exchange we got a weathered fishing pole. A good trade, no?

Our next destination is off in the ocean over to the left. But before we do that, we need to

>fish

: Eagerly, from the end of the pier, Rosella flings the baited line of the fishing pole into the ocean.

Five failed attempts later...

: Almost immediately, Rosella feels a sharp tug on the line! Something pulls and fights her line as she slowly reels it in. There it is! She has caught herself a fine fat fish.

Armed with our new fish, let's go for a swim. Be sure to save.

And here we have yet another screen where a hostile NPC can spawn that will kill you if it gets close. Here I was bragging on King's Quest 4 for not having this bullshit and it goes and makes a liar out of me. :mad:

In reality, I had to go back and forth several times to get the shark to show up. More often than not, the screen was empty, or had the other encounter on it. If the shark touches you, Rosella drowns and...

: You make a tasty morsel for that hungry shark!

So let's just skip ahead to the other shore. This little island is just on the other side of the screen the shark appeared on. This is where Genesta lives. It's a 3x3 grid, with Genesta's castle being in the middle square.

The island has a weird form of compression going on, where if you walk around the outside edge, it's 2x3. But if you go up from where Rosella is standing, you find the middle 3 squares.

It's a very pretty island, though.

Finally on the last beach square I check, we find what I've been looking for. This peacock has shed a feather.

>look ground

: Something catches Rosella's eye! Why, it's a beautiful peacock feather. She takes it.

>look

: Rosella sees the azure ocean stretching in front of her as she stands on the beach of this marvelous island. Behind her, set amidst a beautiful garden, rises a splendid ivory tower.

With the feather in tow, we can now return to the mainland.

: Rosella decides to take a swim in the ocean to wake herself up.

: It doesn't work.

: Too tired to swim anymore, Rosella's body gives out as she joins Davey Jones in his locker.

Oh hey, a whale! Let's go investigate.

This screen. This loving... this screen.

>look

: Horrors! Rosella has been swallowed by a huge whale. This place stinks!

>look skeleton

: The skeleton of an unlucky man (let's call him James) rests atop the wreckage of a small boat.

>get bottle

>open bottle

: Rosella opens the glass bottle and retrieves the imprisoned note.

: Gee! There seems to be writing on the note!

:psyduck: This is, as far as I can tell, the only item in the game with a description.

>read note

: Anybody out there! I had a condor drop this bottle in the nearest ocean to beg for help with King's Quest I. Help me fight this fire-breathing dragon!
: I see a beautiful mermaid in King's Quest II, but she won't help me. Tell me what to do!
: Help me! I'm lost at sea in King's Quest III! I'm with a bunch of nasty pirates who want to feed me to the sharks! If you can, come quick!
: Help! I'm about to get blasted by evil Sariens in Space Quest! Anybody have a handy ray gun out there?
: Sludge Vohaul is holding me prisoner in Space Quest II! Help me out of this jam!
: Drug dealers are terrorizing the city of Lytton! I need a partner to help put away these bad guys in Police Quest!
: Help! The girls in Leisure-Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards are mighty uncooperative. Give me some help here, guys!
: I'm a little kid, and my name's Tommy. I'm having trouble with Old King Cole and Humpty Dumpty in Mixed-Up Mother Goose! Come and help me!
: Hey, I need help here! The wicked Horned King has had me thrown into his dungeon! If I don't get out of here, then evil will rule the world in The Black Cauldron!

Illuminating, but not helpful to us.

>look

: The whale's throat and mouth are enormous! Huge teeth, a great tongue, and yes... even a large uvula. What's that, you say? Well, suffice it to say, it looks like a big punching bag and hangs down from the top of the throat. See, you learn something new every day!

Hmm I wonder if that's a hint.

>look boat

: There's nothing in the old boat. It didn't help James and it won't help you.

Around 4 and a half minutes after first entering the whale stomach, according to the VirtualDub timeline, Rosella finally dies. So you can't hang around here forever.

So if we want to get out of this hellhole, we need to do something to the whale's uvula.

There's a slight problem with that. In order to get to the uvula, we need to climb the whale's tongue.

The path shown in the gif is, as far as I'm aware, the only viable way to get to the top of the tongue.

Nidoking posted:

I always climb up the left side of the tongue, so I know it's possible. I'm pretty sure the paths are mirrored. I don't know why it would be easier to climb one side than the other. It's still a pretty garbage series of puzzles, though, and more of the "You can go anywhere you want, but you need to do these specific things in this specific order" that started to dominate Sierra games around this time.

Any deviations cause Rosella to fall down again. In fact, the gif shows the exact wrong thing to do as well. When you eventually do get to the top of the tongue, you sure as hell don't walk around. You loving save so you don't have to do it again! Spoilers, I walk too far and save right as I'm about to fall off. So I have to climb back up yet again.

There is literally no way to know where the valid path is beyond blindly guessing and trying from there. You can also make quite a bit of progress from other spots, but they always end in failure. My trial run I was able to make it 75% across the tongue from the left side before running into a dead end everywhere I tried.

After falling I don't even want to know how many times, we're finally at the center of the tongue. So how do we get out?

>tickle uvula with feather

: Rosella frantically tickles the throat of the whale with the big peacock feather. She begins to feel a quiver under her feet, which quickly turns into a mighty tremble. Suddenly, she hears a thunderous AAAAACCCCHHHHOOOOOOOOO! and she is swept out of the whale's mouth, in a tremendous wave of ocean water!

I want to point out that the whale can and will show up as you are crossing the ocean over to Genesta's island. So if you see it and go investigate, you can wind up in its mouth with no way to escape.

: Again, Rosella finds herself swimming in the ocean.

Let's go to that island we can see due north.

In the last update, in the teaser bit at the end, I wasn't referring to the whale when I mentioned the "what the gently caress Sierra" moment. It was this island.

>look island

: Rosella has found herself stranded upon a desert island. Also, it seems, have others before her. The small island is nothing more than a sand bar, decorated with two lonely palm trees... and various shipwrecks.

>look shipwreck

: It looks as if many an unlucky sailor has been stranded here. Rosella sees a glint coming from one of the wrecked boats on the beach.

This right here is the "what the gently caress" moment. That little hint wasn't in the original, AGI, version of this game. Indeed, you had to use your psychic powers to guess that there were two items hidden on this screen.

>look glint

: Rosella sees a glint coming from inside the boat.

>look ground

: Rosella looks at the ground inside the wrecked boat. What is this? Why, it's a golden bridle! She picks it up and carries it with her.

Yet again, a member of Graham's family finds themselves in possession of a golden bridle.

>wear bridle

: You can't do that now.

>look bird

: A pelican visits you on this desert island.

Well, at least we have a bird friend. I wonder if he's hungry...

>throw fish to bird

: Rosella throws the stinky, dead fish to the pelican. Greedily, he catches it in his large bill. As he does so, she notices something shiny fall from his bill, onto the ground.

>look ground

: A shiny whistle lies on the ground. Rosella takes it.

: Rosella puts the shiny, silver whistle to her lips and forcefully blows into it, producing a lout TWEEEEEEEEEEET! To her astonishment, a friendly dolphin appears just off-shore and jabbers excitedly at her.

>look dolphin

: A bottle-nose dolphin pokes its nose out of the water and chatters noisily.

>talk to dolphin

: Rosella talks to the dolphin, and it chatters back.

>ride dolphin

The distance back to shore is functionally far enough that you would drown trying to swim back yourself. So, I hope you found the golden bridle on that island, because you ain't going back.

NEXT TIME: We deliver the unicorn to Lolotte

List of Points

+3 - Fishing
+2 - Big beautiful feather
+5 - Whale tickling
+3 - Clairvoyance
+4 - Pelican friend
+2 - Shiny whistle
+2 - Blew into whistle
+2 - Rode a dolphin

Total

60/230

Register of Deaths

We're gonna need a bigger boat
Swimming while tired
Wasting away in a whale's mouth

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 20, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I always climb up the left side of the tongue, so I know it's possible. I'm pretty sure the paths are mirrored. I don't know why it would be easier to climb one side than the other. It's still a pretty garbage series of puzzles, though, and more of the "You can go anywhere you want, but you need to do these specific things in this specific order" that started to dominate Sierra games around this time.

Gonna edit this into the update.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello and welcome back to King's Quest IV. Today's update is gonna be a nice cool down period after last time's back to back whammies. We've got most of the stuff we need to tame the unicorn, so let's go get the piece we're missing.

The classical architecture pool is our final stop. I mentioned in the first (proper) update that there's a slight element of RNG to this screen.

>look cupid

: Baby Cupid beats his little wings furiously as he flies through the air. In his chubby hands, he carries a golden bow, and two golden arrows.

>look pool

: The beautiful pool is lined with tall marble columns. Its crystal clear water looks very inviting.

Well, we did just climb out of the ocean... but that water... oh to hell with it. Let's go jump in.

>look cupid

: Uh oh! Rosella has startled Cupid! He quickly jumps out of the pool and flies away in fear.

: Cupid! You forgot your bow.
: Cupid only wants to get away from here.

If you fall into the pool, then the only way out is to walk to the far side of the screen. Anyway, as you've probably guessed, Cupid randomly shows up here. We need his bow to tame the unicorn, so let's go get it.

>get bow

Cue wandering around for a few minutes trying to remember where the unicorn was.

>shoot unicorn

: Rosella aims one of Cupid's golden arrows toward the unicorn. She lets go of the bow string. ZING! Bull's-eye! The creature is now no longer afraid of her. It's now her friend.

: Hey there, big fella.
: The unicorn softly whinnies in response.

>pet unicorn

: Rosella gently strokes the velvety, soft nose of the unicorn. It seems as if she has made a friend!

Oh man I feel bad about doing this now. :(

>put bridle on unicorn

At least using the bridle makes sense here.

: As the beautiful unicorn offers no resistance, Rosella gently places the golden bit into its mouth, and fits the bridle and reins over its majestic head. The unicorn looks at her with curiosity.

>ride unicorn

: Rosella nimbly mounts the magnificent creature, grabs the golden reins, and sets off toward Lolotte's castle.

: The unicorn seems paralyzed with fear at the sight of Lolotte's henchmen.

: So, I hear you were a good girl and brought me the unicorn. I'm ALMOST convinced you might be innocent after all. But...
: Lolotte clears her throat and gives Rosella a smile that sends shivers down her spine.
: Not quite. I am desirous of the hen that lays the golden eggs. Currently, the hen is kept by the ogre and his wife. Bring me the hen, and you shall have your freedom and a great reward! Take her away!

Am I the only one picturing Marius's fate when Lolotte promises us a reward?

Originally, I was going to end the update there. But an update with 12 images and some dialogue would be short, even for this LP series. So let's just continue on.

So in a previous update, I mentioned the waterfall. This is one of two times we're going to come here. The current is so strong at the base of the waterfall that we can't get through. So we need to go back to one of the first items we got in the game.

>wear crown

Yep, if we wear the little froggy crown, we can temporarily turn into a frog. Handy! Anyway, there's two items we need from around here.

>look

: What's this?! Why, it's a cave behind the waterfall! Rosella sees an old board lying by the cave entrance. She picks it up.

The other item we need is just inside this cave here.

This is a tiny preview of what we're going to be dealing with before too long. I know a bunch of you reading this just got very mad. I know. I feel the same way. The rest of you? Just... just you wait.

>look ground

: Rosella sees a pile of bones by the cave entrance.

Let the mysterious growls be another taste of what's to come. This cave is bad news up one side and down the other. We'll be back in a few updates to really get the full experience.

I'm going to call the update there. If I had to estimate, we're around halfway through the game around this point. So :toot: I guess.

NEXT TIME: We finish the second of Lolotte's tasks

List of Points

+2 - Robbed Cupid
+4 - Befriended a unicorn
+3 - Enslaved a unicorn
+7 - Delivered a beautiful, innocent creature to pure evil
+5 - The Princess Frog
+2 - Old Board
+2 - These old bones

Total

85/230

Register of Deaths

None this time!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, welcome back to King's Quest IV.

We've danced around the house, we've seen it in the distance, and we've even been ambushed by one of its inhabitants once. But this is it. Like the Three Bears in the previous game, the ogre or his wife will randomly be hanging around outside. The game is nice enough to play a tune for you if they're around, so just leave and re-enter until it's safe.

>look

: Rosella sees a large, thatched-roofe house surrounded by forest; and it looks very formidable. It might be wise to use caution here.

>knock on door

: Rosella cautiously taps at the door.
: JUST A MINUTE! I'M COMIN'!
: With a jerk, the door opens to reveal... oh no!... the ogress!

: Poor Rosella! It looks like you'll join the deer in the stew pot tonight!

Getting caught past this point just gives the same death. So let's get on with it.

>open door

: Watch out! A VERY unfriendly bulldog rushes toward you!

: You weren't fast enough, Rosella! You were nothing but a bite-sized morsel for that big dog!

>throw bone to dog

This scene right here makes me glad I didn't play the AGI version. I'm not sure it's possible to type the above command fast enough. The dog starts running the second you enter the house, and if he's too close when you throw, then it's too late regardless.

: Quickly, Rosella tosses the bone to the big dog who catches it in mid-air. Happy with his surprise gift, he takes it to his favorite rug, lies down, and begins to gnaw at it. He seems to have completely forgotten about the intruder.

So with the dog taken care of, we need to move relatively quickly here. The kitchen is a danger zone, the "ogress" is in there, and she's cooking dinner. So let's go upstairs instead.

We only need a single thing from up here. Everything else is just pretty set dressing.

>look

: Rosella has entered the ogres' upstairs bedroom where a huge bed dominates the place. In the left wall, she notices a closed door. Against the right wall, leans the ogre's axe. Rosella takes it.

The look command brought up the closet, but we can't open it that I'm aware of. I've tried repeatedly to no avail. :shrug:

Back downstairs, we need to hang out in the closet for a while.

The kitchen, for what it's worth.

: The ogress sees Rosella! She'd like to have YOU for dinner, so you'd better run!

If you get caught, you have a chance to run away. But you have to run several screens before the ogre or his wife gives up. So it's better to take the death and reload.

>open door

Let's hang out for a few minutes and chill.

>look

: Rosella has found herself inside the ogres' small closet. For a closet, it's surprisingly empty. She notices a large keyhole under the doorknob of the closet door.

You would think there'd be something to find in here, but nope. All we need to do is just chill until something happens outside. According to VDub, we're at 44:30.

45:58. The wait wasn't too bad, thankfully. Don't quote me on this, because I've never stuck around to check, but I'm pretty sure you're on a timer once you enter the house. This IS a product of 1980s Sierra, so I wouldn't be surprised.

>look keyhole

: Fe, fi, fo, fum! I smell the blood of a...
: Quiet, you old goat! That's just a deer you smell. You know how you get when you're hungry. Here! Eat!

: Wife! Bring me my hen!

: Lay!
: With excitement, Rosella watches the hen lay a golden egg, which the ogre takes. He yawns, then falls asleep on the table. Soon, his snoring rattles the walls.

>open door

: The ogre is sleeping at the table. You'd better be super quiet, Rosella.

>get hen

I'm surprised Rosella can reach the hen on top of that gargantuan table. Anyway, since we're here...

>wake ogre

: Thanks for the hospitality.
: That was foolish. The vicious ogre grabs Rosella and drags her toward the kitchen. As to what happesn in the kitchen, let's just say she's cordially invited to BE dinner.

You might want to save your game at this point.

>open door

: SQUAWK! SQUAWK! SQUAWK! Uh oh, the hen has woken the ogre!

The ogre will not chase you into the living forest behind his home, but he'll follow you to the other screens around the house.

While we're here, let's show these trees who's the boss.

>wave axe

: The trees tremble at Rosella's might, and are frightened by her axe. They will not bother her further.

We can now use these woods as a shortcut.

This is, I think, the last screen we haven't seen yet. We'll be back here in the next update. We actually want to go back one screen to the left and up, which will put is basically next to the mountain path.

The rocks on the bottom of this screen prevent us from taking a shortcut to the Bokoblin hut. This is solely to enforce the plot sequence. There's a thing in that skull we'll need, and getting it early would throw the plot flags completely out of whack.

I could also be wrong, and you may be able to grab the ogre's axe from the word go. Who knows!

Let's get this over with.

: What a good girl you are! I really ought to give you your reward right now!
: The evil fairy's voice is all milk and honey, gushing with praise.
: She pauses for just long enough to make the moment uncomfortable.
: But, I have just the tiniest bit of doubt left. If you do just ONE MORE thing for me, I'll be COMPLETELY convinced of your innocence and you'll receive a wonderful reward!
: Somehow, Rosella doesn't believe her.
: I want to have Pandora's Box. It is said that whoever owns it would be in possession of the purest evil.
: Lolotte's crimson eyes glow with excitement.
: With the power and evil of Pandora's Box, I would be UNSTOPPABLE!
: Rosella realizes just how deep Lolotte's evil runs, and feels her knees go weak from sheer terror.

I can't think of a way to make that work for the narration. Rosella is a pretty smart girl, so I'd like to think she would know from minute one that Lolotte was bad news, and that she shouldn't have started helping her.

: I don't know the wherabouts of Pandora's Box. You must search for it yourself. Take her away!

We just have to find the origin of all evil. No pressure, right?

NEXT TIME: Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos.

List of Points

+4 - Dog treat
+2 - You want axe?
+4 - The golden goose that's really a chicken
+4 - Threatened the forest and the trees
+7 - Returned the hen

Total

106/230

Register of Deaths

Coming to Dinner x2
Making Friends with a Dog
Let Sleeping Ogres Lie

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, and welcome back to King's Quest IV. Today's update is gonna be longer by necessity, but by the time we're finished, we'll be in the final stretch of the game. So let's not waste any time, yeah?

There was nothing stopping us from going in here last time, but it feels more correct to go in now that we have our third quest from Lolotte.

Inside, we find three green ladies who share a single eye.

>look

: This is a dismal and dreary cave. Within it, reside three one-eyed old witches. In the center of the cave, over a hot fire, boils a foul-smelling brew inside a large black cauldron.

I'm sure these three are meant to recall the three witches from Macbeth, but I grew up in the 90s and watched a lot of Disney movies as a kid. So all I can see are the Fates from Hercules.

>look witches

: Three, old one-eyed crones inhabit this dreary cave. They possess a glass eye, which they pass from one to another, that enables them to see. Through the glass eye, they each in turn peer at Rosella with a frightening mixture of curiosity and malice.

One of the witches starts to chase you a second after you enter, so you have to play a deadly game of keep-away.

And naturally, this wouldn't be an AGI/SCI engine Sierra game without the game pausing every second you're near a source of fire to go OUCH.

Gonna be honest, I thought I was dead here.

>get eye

: Rosella just manages to snatch the glass eye from the grasp of the old witches! Now they are totally blind and helpless.

A guide for this game that I looked at before recording suggested that you need to time your grab for when they pass the eye back and forth. I've always managed to get the eye by taking what I need.

: Give us back our eye!

Rosella doesn't give a gently caress.

Well, it was mean to steal these poor old women's only means of seeing.

When we re-enter, the one on the left throws a beetle at us.

: As Rosella re-enters the dismal cave, the three, one-eyed witches throw something toward her.
: Here, take it. It'll ward off the undead. You'll need it. Now, PLEASE give us back our eye!
: Rosella thinks about it and glances at the floor. She sees that the witches threw a black scarab at her.

>give eye back

: Rosella throws the glass eye to the three old hags, who once again take turns peering at her.
: Come closer, dear. We'd like to give a little gift to you.

The same death happens if you let any of the witches touch you at any time. They're not exactly friendly. So instead of taking a bath in a bubbling cauldron, let's just get the hell out of there.

>wear scarab

: You can't wear the scarab. Just carry it with you.

Now that we have the obsidian scarab, we're as prepared as we're ever going to be.

>wear crown

So strap yourselves in. We're going into the loving caves.

The caves have a couple of a gimmicks. They're four screens long and dark as hell. We saw it last time we were in here to grab a bone, but mysterious growls can randomly appear on any screen. If that happens, then you have to reload or you will die. There's no escaping.

If you recall, the dwarves gave us a lantern way back at the start of the LP. Let's light it now.

>light lantern

: Using a flint attached to the oil lantern, Rosella lights it. The lantern burns with a bright glow.

Bright my rear end. This is all the illumination we ever loving get. A single ancient candle, 17 years ago in Kolyma, illuminated more than this miner's lantern. Oh, and just to keep things interesting, I'm going to keep track of each reload it takes to get through this cave.

If you're, for some reason, playing along with this, then you will want to save at the edge of each screen you successfully navigate without dying.

Second cave screen. It looks black, but there's a bunch of stalagmites forming a path you can't see until you run right into it. You see, the tiny bit of illumination we have actually does something.

This is what it looks like at the start of the screen. So it's an invisible maze in the dark where each time you transition screen, there's a random chance you will just loving die for no reason.

Edge of the second screen.

Third screen, the troll that lives in these caves comes out to play at random.

When I say you can't run, I mean that. The troll is faster and he knows his way around in the dark. If you transition screen, he just spawns directly behind you and kills you.

: Oh no! Rosella has been caught by the vicious trolll! Fate be what it may, she is dragged off to meet it.

+1

Gonna keep track of reloads in bold.

Third screen, this time with no troll.

A straight shot across an otherwise uneventful screen.

Fourth screen, and we can see light at the end of the tunnel.

The fourth screen has a chasm you can't see until you're right on top of it.

+6

Do you see that tiny bit of black on the very edge of Rosella's lamp? That's the edge of the chasm. When you see that, you're either already dead or right on the edge.

>put board across chasm

: Feeling in the dark, Rosella manages to place the board across the crevice. Now, can she cross it safely?

When you get to the other side, the game mercifully does the following automatically:

: Feeling in the dark again, Rosella manages to pick up the baord without dropping it into the crevice.

From there it's a straight shot north.

I don't believe the troll can appear on this last screen. It's never happened to me in all the times I've played.

These are the Death Bogs of Tamir. But we actually know this land by a better name: Llewdor. This massive swamp is on the far western edge of that infinite desert from the previous game.

By the way, still keeping track of reloads. The swamp is only two screens long, and we still have to go back through the cave again.

>look

: From here, a huge muddy swamp spreads eastward. Large moss-covered swamp trees tower overhead, while grass tufts and reedy plants poke up from the mire. Rosella can hear the many chirps and croaks of unseen swamp creatures.

: Don't you know that some swamps are quagmires that will suck you under?! As she takes her last breath, Rosella contemplates this final information.

+0 (intentional deaths don't count)

Let's try this, then...

>wear crown

+0

The correct way to proceed is to stand here and

>jump
>jump
>jump
>jump
>jump
>jump
>jump
>jump
>jump

>jump
>jump
>jump
>jump
>jump

Fifteen jumps across the swamp.

We can't walk across from here, and we can't jump across a pit this wide. So we have to think back two whole minutes and

>set board down

You probably won't see it very well, but there's a snake in front of the tree. A cobra, to be specific.

Getting close has Rosella die from "poisoning."

+1 (I died once offscreen the exact same way a second later)

>play flute

The cobra doesn't stay charmed for long. So we have to act very quickly or it'll wake up and bite again.

>get fruit

This death was too funny. Accidentally walked off the island while super triumphant music plays.

+2

Don't forget to >get board while you're here and then >jump back to shore.

Between the two screens of the swamp, if you've done absolutely everything up to this point, night will fall. It will not do this unless you have the obsidian scarab. (Or if you somehow waste 12 hours.)

The stars are now out.

>look sky

: It's easy to see by the light of a full moon.

And now we go back through the cave. I'm not cutting out the journey back.

This is the fourth screen, the one with the chasm.

+1

Third screen.

Second screen.

+3

+1

And finally that brings us to the end of the update. We're firmly in the final stretch of the game from here on out, so buckle up!

NEXT TIME: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46nc3eJuq5U

Total Reloads in the Cave (and Swamp) Section

1 + 6 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 1 = 15

List of Points

+3 - Robbed 3 old women literally blind
+2 - Profited from robbing 3 old women
+3 - Throwing a glass ball at 3 old women
+2 - Crossed the Chasm
+2 - Crossed onto the Island
+4 - Snake Charmer
+10 - Got the magic fruit!
+2 - Crossing the Chasm (again)

Total

134/210

Register of Deaths

Taking a nice, hot bath
Feeding a troll x2
Falling into an invisible bottomless pit x7
Swimming in the Swamp x4
Universal Cameo
Snake Poison x2

Total Deaths in Cave (and Swamp) Section

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 29, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello and welcome back to King's Quest IV. We're now past the biggest source of bullshit in the game. There's still more to come, don't you worry, but we don't have to ever return to that cave.

The game world looks much nicer at night.

We also have the prize we came for. Now we just have to help Genesta and get back home in time to save Graham.

So way back at the start of this game, I discussed how the end of it would revolve around Whateley Manor and the surrounding graveyard. Well, now that night has fallen we're at that point.

The game also did us a kindness by not advancing to night until after we got the obsidian scarab. If you recall last time, the crone said that it would protect us from the undead, and that we would need it.

When we're on either of the graveyard screens, we're going to be harassed by zombies. Word is they will kill you if you somehow get to this point without the scarab. I have many questions I'd like to ask the person who confirmed that. Because that involved wasting 12 actual hours.

I will not actually show that death off because I value my time too much. Now excuse me while I play Factorio until the sun comes up.

So let's go into the manor.

That candle on the left wall was not lit this morning. After a few seconds...

: What's that?! Why, it's the sound of a crying baby, and it's coming from upstairs!

We want to go in the left door upstairs. Periodically now, we're going to get a narration message while in the house.

: Rosella hears a baby crying!

This looks like it was once a very nice bedroom. That bed looks super plush. We, again, want to go in the open door on the left, into the nursery.

: The crying baby seems to be in here.

>look in cradle

: With trepidation, Rosella peeks into the rocking cradle and sees nothing. Tentatively she reaches her hand into it. There's nothing there!

Okay, so we got a ghost baby to deal with.

You might think I'm running away, but no. This next series of puzzles isn't well thought out. Basically, we need to calm the spirits in the house. Typically, this sort of thing requires us to find an object that belonged to the ghost in life and return it to them, usually into their grave. That puts the spirit at rest and lets us continue on. We're going to be doing the exact opposite of that. We'll be robbing the graves of these spirits to give to them the items they mysteriously can't find anymore.

No it doesn't make any sense.

Oh and there's an extra special layer of "gently caress you" sprinkled on top. You remember that shovel we found much earlier in the game? Here's where we need it. That shovel is super rickety and basically falling apart. It will last through exactly five digs. There's five spirits we need to put back to rest.

Dig up the wrong grave by accident? Congratulations, the game is now unwinnable. To make matters worse more annoying, the entire time we're in the graveyard, zombies will be harassing us. Because we have the obsidian scarab, the zombies are entirely incapable of harming us.

In a well designed game, the zombies would spawn, test that you have the scarab, and then stop spawning altogether because you've solved the "puzzle". The entire section after we're sent to find Pandora's Box, until we return with it, is probably the worst part of the game collectively. There's a lot of bullshit that only serves to test your patience.

So let's get this crap over with.

If you look at the graves, the game just gives you a generic description. You have to actually type in >read tombstone.

As is standard for a video game graveyard, there's rhyming quatrains discussing the person buried underneath. I'm not going to be covering them all, but here's an example.

Tombstone posted:

I plant these shrubs upon your grave, dear wife,
That something ont his spot may boast of life.
Shrubs must wither and all earth must rot;
Shrubs may revive: but you, thank heaven, will not.

It's pretty obvious which graves are the ones we need to dig up. The one next to the shrubbery quatrain, for instance...

Tombstone posted:

Lord Coninsby
1559 - 1626

Sleepeth here in peace:
an honorable man, a valiant soldier.
He served his country well.

67 years old and a lord. It doesn't sound like our baby, but we'll keep his grave in mind.

When a zombie comes into contact with you, and you have the scarab, the above message plays. This happens no matter what you're doing. So expect to have your excavations interrupted by annoying messages.

The grave in the far left corner reads...

Tombstone posted:

Here lies Newberry Will,
His life was finished 'cause he took ill
But none'll miss him, he should have been wiser,
'Tis his own fault, for bein' such a miser.

At first glance, this reads like a red herring tombstone. But nope, this is one of the five we'll need to dig up.

Just above Rosella here is a grave. It's in the far back of the screen and partially obscured by the creepy oak.

Tombstone posted:

To the ever living memory of Hiram Bennet,
baby son of Edward and Sarah Bennet,
who by a sudden-surprize fell asleep,
the 11th day of November, 1553
Aged 6 months.

This sounds like the grave we need.

>dig

: Rosella carefully digs a small hole at the poor baby's grave. What is this?! She has uncovered a silver baby rattle!

Back in the haunted nursery...

>give rattle to ghost

: Rosella drops the silver rattle into the baby cradle. As she does so, the crying of the baby ghost and the rocking of the cradle cease. She breathes big sigh of relief.

: The sound of loud moaning and the rattling of heavy chains disturbs the peace and quiet.

>look ghost

: The ghost of a stooped old miser trudges through the house, lugging heavy chains behind him. He moans loudly in frustration as he appears to be searching for something he can't find.

Sounds like his current unliving nightmare is his just reward for being a greedy bastard.

Anyway, we already found the miser's grave.

: Rosella digs a small hole at the grave of the old miser. Aha! She has found a bag of coins.

I do like that time actually advances to the PM hours when night falls. I'm not entirely sure where it's getting 9:25, though. An hour and four real time minutes ago, it was 8:10. Even allowing for the 12 hour jump when night falls, I have no idea why it's a completely different time from what it should be. :shrug:

>give coins to ghost

: Rosella offers the bag of gold coins to the old miser ghost. He greedily snatches it from her hands, and then promptly disappears. Shortly thereafter, the sound of sorrowful weeping floats down from upstairs.

This is in the righthand room of the upstairs. You may not immediately find the ghost unless you know exactly where to look.

She only fades into view when you're nearby, and she takes a second to do so.

>look ghost

: Rosella sees the sad ghost of a beautiful young woman. She sits in her rocking chair and weeps as if her heart will break.

>talk to ghost

: Rosella tries to comfort the lady ghost, but she doesn't respond. It seems as if she doesn't even know anyone else is here, as she continues her deep sobbing.

We're back on this screen again. Two of the five graves we need to dig up are over here. The first one is this big one in the immediate foreground that sticks out.

Tombstone posted:

Betty Cowden
1650 - 1669

Here lieth the body of Betty Cowden
Who would live longer but she couden;
Sorrow and grief made her decay
When she lost her lover at sea one day.

Sounds like our ghost.

>dig

: Rosella carefully digs a small hole at the sad lady ghost's grave. She has found a lovely locket!

While we're still here, the last grave we'll need is in the far back on the left side. The one that looks cracked.

Tombstone posted:

Reader, here lies--but forebear
To read more without a tear,
One--I cannot speak the rest,
You may weep. I'll smite my breast,
Grief preventing, and this stone,
Too small to be written on.
Only this--a little boy,
Willy--in Abram's bosom laid.

That was super meandering and also badly written and reads like another red herring tombstone, but that's the last one we'll need.

>give locket to ghost

: Rosella hands the lovely locket to the distraught ghost. The locket seems to make her very happy as she vanishes into thin air. Suddenly, a loud wailing can be heard from downstairs.

This man looks like both an ex soldier and a lord of the manor. So I guess we know where to go next.

>look ghost

: Rosella has encountered the gentleman ghost of the distinguished Lord of the Manor. He wails despondently as he seems to be looking for something he desperately wants.

: Rosella digs a small hole at the grave of the Lord of the Manor. Gotcha! She has found an impressive Medal of Honor!

>give medal to ghost

: Rosella offers the Medal of Honor to the wailing ghost. He takes it from her hands with great reverence. Satisfied, he vanishes into thin air.

: A cute, little boy ghost suddenly appears! He grins mischeviously at Rosella, begins to giggle, and runs from the room.

I'm actually going to call the update here.

NEXT TIME: We find Pandora's Box and enter the endgame. We're very nearly done!

List of Points

+3 - Silver Rattle
+2 - Baby ghost helped
+3 - Ghost money
+2 - Jacob Marley helped
+3 - Buried locket
+2 - Sad ghost helped
+3 - Medal found
+2 - Lord ghost helped

Total

154/230

Register of Deaths

None this time

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Prism posted:

There is actually another way to screw yourself over that was missed during the last update beyond having the shovel break on you, where you can put yourself in a dead man walking situation. I don't know if you intend to show it off since the text is basically 'well you shouldn't have done that, idiot' and you can't really do it by mistake, but it is a loss state, so... You can eat the fruit.

There's a better spot to show the spoilered thing off that doesn't involve me replaying the last quarter of the game. I'll show it off then.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Bloops Crusts posted:

Forgive me, I'm going be a little critical here. It's exasperating to see the music, atmosphere, level of innovation, historical context compared to other games in 1988, etc., all go glossed over in favor of savaging the game. Yeah, the shovel's stupid. But emphasizing totally minor, nitpicky stuff like "The zombies should just stop spawning once you have the scarab because having to hit enter whenever one reaches me tests my patience" is just over-exaggerating something that's only debatably a flaw. It's really not a big deal.

Don't get me wrong, KQ4 has it's fair share of bullshit, but it's tiresome when so many King's Quest LPs drift into IGN "Sonic was never good" territory. Consumer tastes and theories about game design have changed since 1988... They're changing all the time. Skyrim players trash Morrowind because it didn't have fast travel. Modern WoW players trash vanilla WoW because the endgame was too exclusive. This isn't so very different.

Your point is fair, and I have been super critical of the game. It's going to continue into the future though, because I stand by what I said earlier with 5 being the peak bullshit the series engaged in. On the whole, I like King's Quest 4. But even setting aside the nitpicking I do, there are actual design problems with the game, looking at things from a modern eye or no. Like that entire cave section, for instance. An invisible maze in pitch black, with a largely useless "light source," where every time you change screens there's a random chance you'll just die. Even in the 1980s that poo poo was, at best, the developers being spiteful to their players.

The zombie thing I didn't do a very good job explaining apparently. Three of them spawn each time you enter a screen, and they start chasing you immediately. Unlike the giant from the first game, if you get them caught up on terrain, they just despawn and reappear a second later. So each time you enter a graveyard to, say, dig up an item, you have to deal with three separate interruptions. So, if you know exactly where to go and what to do, that's still 15 interruptions for this section of the game. So when I say that there's no need for them to test you having the scarab more than once ever, that's the reason why. You can't drop the scarab, so the game is just needlessly repeating the same puzzle over and over because it can. Because, I suppose, it never occurred to anyone in 1988 that there was any other way to do things. Being interrupted 12 more times for a "puzzle" you've already solved, is just annoying. Minor annoyances like these compound over time into major issues. It's why in the coming updates I'm going to be doing a lot more bitching about platforming, because there's yet more stupid design decisions that do not make sense to anyone in their right mind.

As to the other point, about consumer tastes and design theories changing... the only perspective on this I have is a modern lens. I didn't play the first four games for the first time until this decade. In 1988 when this game originally came out, I was still young enough to be in diapers. So the only perspective I have is looking at more than half of this series with a modern eye.

I'm going to be at my most negative about the series until the start of King's Quest 6. 4 has a lot of annoyances backloaded, and 5 is an entire can of worms I'm going to get into in a few weeks. So just bear with me until we get to the only good one in the series, when the love-in will start. After that we'll have some fun making fun of 7, and then end the thread on a high note with something completely different and super fun.

Also update in a few hours. Been a busy day for me and I haven't started working on it yet.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, and welcome back to King's Quest IV. We just have a few puzzles left until we're locked in the end sequence, so the end of the game is in sight! A worse fate yet awaits us still.

So let's see what this young boy wants.

A trapdoor has opened and a ladder has lowered in this smaller bedroom.

Rather than deal with the ladder four times, we'll just go dig up his grave.

: Rosella digs a small hole at the little boy ghost's grave. Aha! She has uncovered a toy horse!

That's a pretty rad toy, not gonna lie. A miniature version of the Trojan Horse and all.

I was gonna make a joke about Rosella being super slow at climbing the ladder, but it does make sense. There's no telling just how old it is, and if it will even support her weight. So good on her for being careful.

>look ghost

: The little boy ghost laughs, and refuses to budge from his seat on top of the chest. It might help if he had a toy to play with.

>give toy to ghost

: Rosella gives the toy horse to the little boy ghost in hopes that he will vanish like the others before him. For a moment, she fears that he will not, as he takes time to examine it carefully. Suddenly, he grins at her, and in a twinkling, disappears.

>look

: After adjusting her eyes to the gloom, Rosella soon sees that she has stumbled upon the musty attic of the old house. The trapdoor in the floor is open, and from it, a ladder leads down to the room below. Useless junk and boxes clutter the room. There is an interesting chest near the open trapdoor.

>open chest
>look in chest

: Rosella peeks into the old open chest, and finds... an old set of sheet music! She takes it and carries it with her.

To get back down, we have to approach the edge of the trapdoor and type >climb down. Be careful on the right edge of the trapdoor. Everywhere else won't let you walk off, but you can there.

Anyway, the sheet music was the whole reason we've been running errands for ghosts. I mentioned way back in one of the first updates that the only thing in the tower above the manor was an old pipe organ. So guess where we're going...

I want to preface this next section by saying that I actually like this game. I know in all the nitpicking and complaining that I do that it can be easy to lose sight of that. I'm not gonna claim it's a good game, but I like it regardless. It's markedly less bullshit than previous "wait 16 minutes on a pirate ship" entries "put bridle on snake" in the "Ifnkovhgroghprm" series.

I say all of that to give context to my next complaint.

After 3 games of spiral staircases working one way, Sierra changed it for no particularly good reason. Do you see where the stairs start approaching the screen again?

It's right around where Rosella is now. When you disappear behind the stairs, the up and down controls are reversed. Pressing down to make Rosella move toward the camera will have her moving back down the stairs instead.

It's not so bad going up, because you can just mash your face against the tower wall and slowly creep your way up. But when going down the stairs? You will die and you will die over and over and over again. Even knowing that the up and down controls are reversed, you will be caught off guard by it every loving time it happens.

It's not limited to this staircase, either. Lolotte's castle is infested with spiral staircases, and the control reversing happens on every one of them. I can't even begin to guess why someone would program the controls to work this way. It makes absolutely no sense. The only reasons that come to mind all involve the developers having antipathy for the players. That's a dangerous road to start down before King's Quest 5.

When you get up here, be very sure to type the right command.

>play music is not the same as >play sheet music

: Rosella finds it difficult to read the old sheet music, but she attempts it anyway.

The sheet music is the right command, as it will actually progress things along. I'm also kind of amazed that the sheet music wasn't just reusing Toccata and Fugue in D-minor.

: What is this? A small drawer has opened in the organ! Rosella peers inside and sees a skeleton key. She takes it.

We're over on this screen again. I've mentioned a crypt a few times, and you can see it just in front of Rosella here.

>look crypt

: The stone crypt is built into the mountainside.

>open door

: The crypt door is locked.

>unlock door

: Rosella places the skeleton key in the lock of the crypt door. Slowly, she turns it. Click. It unlocked!

You ever get the feeling that you weren't supposed to be somewhere? This crypt gives me that feeling.

>look

: What an incredible place! This looks like an ancient burial tomb, with hieroglyphics written on the walls, and an old coffin against the far wall. A pile of rope is at the edge of the upper platform. Rosella sees an odd-looking, little chest here. It must be Pandora's Box.

>get rope

: Rosella reaches down to get the pile of rope. To her happy surprise, she finds that the rope is actually a rope ladder attached to the end of the platform! Gladly, she throws it over the edge of the platform, where it falls to the floor below.

>climb down

: Look out for the mummy!

>look mummy

: This mummy appears to be at least a thousand years old! Its' wrappings are loose and ecayed... and it stinks!

>look box

: Pandora's Box is on the floor of the crypt. Rosella, reluctantly, picks it up.

Alright, while Rosella walks out, I want to show off a very special death that you will never see in normal play. To even get to this point, you have to have the scarab. I've been informed that if you don't have it, you will be killed when entering or leaving the mansion. A zombie will jump out of the hedges and condemn Rosella to wander eternally as one of the damned.

So what happens if you somehow get into the crypt without the scarab?

Here we are way back at the start of the game. I've called in some help for this one. Goombella and Professor, if you wouldn't mind...

>overtime nosleep

: You see nothing special.

: These options are somewhat treacherous to mess with, especially the bottom three. We're only interested in the "Show Room" item, which tells the room ID. Pandora's Crypt is room 69. Armed with this knowledge...

>TP

: A box will pop up asking us where we want to teleport to. Just type in the ID and off you go!

: We're back in the crypt! Look at our score. We've got 0 points. If we walked outside, it would be broad daylight. So, not armed with the scarab, let's try to loot Pandora's Box...

: How did you get here without the scarab? You will be the next victim of the mummy!
: Boy, these guys are sometimes fast for their age!

Thanks to those friendly archaeologists for coming out of retirement to help me show that off. Back to the game already in progress...

Going to cut the update here, but let's leave off on doing something monumentally stupid.

>open pandora's box

: OK, but you'll be sorry...

NEXT TIME: The endgame of King's Quest IV.

List of Points

+3 - Exhumed a toy horse
+2 - Made a dead little boy happy
+2 - Got some old sheet music
+4 - Played creepy music
+2 - Looted skeleton key
+3 - Entered the forbidden crypt
+2 - Lowered the ladder
+4 - Legendary source of all evil

Total

176/230

Register of Deaths

Taking a Shortcut from the Attic
Cheating
Opening Pandora's Box. You moron.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest IV. Let's go return Pandora's Box to Lolotte.

For the last time, let's get dragged off to the castle.

: Lolotte flashes Rosella an evil smile.
: You know, I've never asked your name. What is it?
: I'm... Rosella.
: Rosella. What a pretty name. Well Rosella, you've earned your reward!
: The evil fairy smirks .
: My son, Edgar, has fallen in love with you. I wish him to be happy, and I give you the honor of being his wife and MY daughter-in-law!

I love the dumb heart over Edgar's head.

: You'll be married first thing in the morning. You will sleep in Edgar's room tonight, while he sleeps elsewhere.
: Lolotte motions to her goons.
: Let us relieve you of your burdensome load before you retire.
: Rosella is so shocked by the sudden news that she hardly notices her possessions being taken away.
: Escort our Rosella to her room.

Edgar's room is pretty nice, not gonna lie.

: Well, now what?

>look

: Normally, this is Edgar's tower bedroom. Actually, for being in such an awful castle, it looks quite comfortable; but Rosella is in no mood to care.

We can look around, but the descriptions are all generic. Like the last time we were locked up in the castle, we have to cool our heels for a moment.

>look ground

: Rosella sees a beautiful rose has been pushed under the door. She picks it up and carries it with her.

To pick the rose up, you have to walk over top of it like it's an ammo pickup in DOOM.

: What a beautiful red rose! What's this?! Why, there is a little gold key attached to this rose!

Oh hey, another item with a description! Neat. Also looks like Edgar really likes Rosella. That's pretty cute. :unsmith:

: Rosella removes the little gold key from the red rose.

>unlock door

: Using the little gold key, Rosella quickly unlocks the door.

:cry:

Fell right off the edge basically first thing after escaping. The controls changing for Reasons will be plaguing us through the remainder of this sequence. I guess I should be thankful this wasn't my test run, where I died I'm pretty sure 6 consecutive times to the staircase on the opposite side of the castle.

>look goon

: The henchman is asleep.

Lolotte's goons are not very good guards. As long as we don't dance in his face, we can sneak past easily. Rosella, unlike Garrett, knows how to step softly on stone tiles.

We need to go in the upper door first. If we walk on the far side of Lolotte's picnic table, the goon will wake up and we'll get a bad ending.

We need to loot this kitchen for some very important items.

>look

: Rosella has discovered the castle's kitchen. Not a very pleasant kitchen, but a kitchen nonetheless. Against the back wall, two cabinets flank a cold stone fireplace. Rosella sees a long table under the one small window.

The right-hand cabinet is the one we need to loot.

>open cabinet

: Rosella finds all of her possessions!

Like I said, it's got some important items.

>get all

We have a lot of random crap. Anyway, now rearmed with our board and golden ball, let's go take care of Lolotte.

: The henchmen have taken her rose, and she no longer has the gold key. It looks like Rosella is destined to be... Mrs. Edgar!

: Fainting isn't going to help, Rosella. There's no getting out of this one. You're stuck being Mrs. Edgar for the rest of your life. Not to mention having old Lolotte for a mother-in-law! Good luck... you're going to need it!

Kind of a downer ending. Also Roberta's smug face pops up after this suggesting next time we be careful. So let's just reload and pretend we didn't step on a goon's toe.

Giving that rear end in a top hat a wide berth, let's continue on.

More stairs. Joy.

This set of stairs breaks off to the left before continuing up. There's nothing we can do over to the left besides get caught by some goons. So let's continue upward.

UPWARD, I said.

Lolotte's bedroom. I think it's time for some good old fashioned revenge.

>unlock door

: Using which key; the gold key, or the skeleton key?

>unlock door with skeleton key

: The skeleton key does not fit in the lock.

I thought the popular trope with skeleton keys was that they were universal keys? Oh well. Gold key it is, then!

>unlock door with gold key

>look

: So, this is Lolotte's bed chamber. Rosella questions the fairy's taste in decorating as her furniture is a bit on the gaudy side. And speaking of Lolotte... the old bat is sound asleep on her massive bed.

>look lolotte

: The evil fairy sleeps soundly in her bed. She wears Genesta's magic talisman around her neck, and Rosella sees it gleaming upon her chest. As she sleeps, Lolotte makes very strange clicking sounds.

>wake lolotte

Let's give the fairy a piece of our mind.

Ouch. Okay let's not wake her up. Let's just kill the poo poo out of her instead. We've got a few weapons.

>shoot lolotte with cupid's bow

: Rosella aims the golden arrow toward Lolotte. She lets go of the bow string. ZING! A direct hit! Lolotte sits straight up in bed, a look of agony on her face.
: What did you DO to me? I'm melting... melting! Oh what a world, what a world...
: Ahem. That's the wrong story. Let's try that again.
: It hurts! It hurts! Stop the pain! Stop it!
: Rosella winces as the evil fairy dies a very painful death. She wonders what could have happened. Cupid's arrows are harmless, and only filled with love.
: That must be it! LOVE!
: Lolotte was so evil, that when pure love entered her body, it acted like a poison.
: I don't know how... but I'll get you for this...
: Rosella smirks at the dead fairy and flips her hair dramatically. In spite of how exhausted she feels, Rosella also allows herself to enjoy her victory.

: Edgar bows to Rosella, acknowledging his evil mother's death.
: You may now walk freely about the castle. I...
: Edgar suddenly blushes and runs off.

>get talisman

Alright, that's a good place to cut things now. There's still 15 minutes of gameplay now that we've won, so we'll cover all of that...

NEXT TIME: The End of King's Quest IV

List of Points

+7 - Gave the evil fairy Pandora's Box
+2 - Got gold key
+2 - Escaped Edgar's room
+4 - The return of >get all
+2 - Sneaking into Lolotte's bedroom
+8 - Murdered the poo poo out of Lolotte
+5 - Got Genesta's Talisman

Total

206/230

Register of Deaths

Controls Were Reversed x2
Rosella's Wedding
Pissing off Lolotte

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Outpost22 posted:

In KQ7 doesn't Edgar somehow show up again out of the blue?

Also is Lolotte related to the fan fic antagonist from the KQ1, KQ2, and KG3 AGD reimaginings? Or did the fairy just use Rosella to take out her rival?

For the first point... That's spoilers for the ending of King's Quest VII, a game that I probably won't even get to until December at the earliest.

As to the second, there's an evil secret society/family called the "Black Cloak Society." We won't even see first tellings of it until the endgame of King's Quest VI, but apparently they're supposed to be an answer to the Daventry Royal Family. The AGDI remakes, as I understand it, made it so that the principal villains of every title were members of the Society. In the OP for KQ2, this is what I was referring to when I grumbled about the "fanfiction" nature of the story.

Though setting aside fan story, Genesta is not above being a manipulative rear end in a top hat, as we saw in the intro. So while Lolotte's evil plans ultimately needed to be stopped, my money is on Genesta taking advantage of the situation to have Rosella take out a troublesome rival. We'll see in the update coming tomorrow that she's still an rear end in a top hat even when she's not slowly dying from lack of a talisman. That's just how fairies roll, I guess.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest IV. According to VirtualDub, we have 15 minutes left before it's all said and done. And between here and there are a bunch more deaths yet to go. So let's not waste any time!

We just have to get down this half a flight of stairs and we're done with the hair tearing spiral staircases forever. Our next stop is in the hallway that we skipped last time.

We want to go into this small room up here.

Space Quest III - Astro Chicken

>get hen
>lay

: Now now! Only one golden egg per day.

Rats. Oh well, I guess Rosella will have to console herself with her chest of neverending gold at home.

>get box
>look

: This seems to be some sort of storage room. What did you come in here for?

While it looks like there's more to do in here, we just needed to grab the things that Lolotte demanded on our way back down. For full points, you know how it is.

The door on this screen leads to the prison cell we briefly visited earlier in the game. There's no reason to come over here at all... with one exception. If you're playing the AGI version of the game, this screen has a little easter egg. You have to type >beam me up.

If you do that, you get taken to a recreation of the Star Trek bridge for a meet and greet with the developers. A lady named "hercrabbiness" uploaded it on youtube if you want to take a look.

Let's just continue on. We're actually done with the castle entirely. So we just need to slowly make our way out.

This is directly south from what used to be Lolotte's throne room.

Before I forget...

Pandora's Box. Looks about like you'd expect. Anyway, we want to go into the stables over on the left.

>pet unicorn

: Rosella reaches out to pet the unicorn's nose, but it won't let her.

>talk unicorn

: The unicorn rolls back its eyes. It obviously doesn't trust Rosella anymore.

:smith:

>open gate

Gotta stand in the middle of the stable when you type that or it won't work.

: As soon as Rosella opens the gate, the wild unicorn impatiently leaves its hated prison. It quickly trots out the open stable door to freedom.

This is the hardest platforming challenge in the game.

The walkable path is extremely narrow, even for an old sierra title. If you don't babysit Rosella's walking animation, you'll fall off repeatedly.

Annoying, but by this point you should be saving before doing any platforming in a Sierra title. This took four attempts.

gently caress.

Insert me falling off the narrow passage six more times.

No more zombies, thankfully. Though our holes still mar the land. Anyway, we need to take care of Pandora's Box permanently. So let's go back in the tomb.

The mummy doesn't care about what time of day it is. Its job is to protect Pandora's Box. The scarab still wards it away.

>drop box

Good riddance. Let's ensure that nobody ever finds it again.

>close door
>lock door

: Rosella places the skeleton key in the lock of the crypt door. Click. It locked! She kicks the key through a crack under the door. Now no one will ever accidentally release the evils of Pandora's Box into the world!

I really hope she kicked it hard enough that the sucker skidded off the platform and onto the crypt floor below. Put it completely out of reach forevermore. I'm also really surprised that locking the box away forevermore only got us +2 points. Weird.

Oh, and for what it's worth, it's quarter after 6. There's nothing left for us to do on the house or, indeed, anywhere on the island. So let's get going...

A straight shot across the bay to Genesta's island, and we're outta here. Be sure to save before swimming. The shark patrolling the bay knows if you haven't, and will show up to teach you a painful lesson.

'sup Mr. Peacock, just hanging out? That's cool.

: Genesta's tiny fairies guard the palace door.

We can waltz right on in, so let's go.

>open door

It looks like there are other doors, but the other two may as well be painted on. We're pretty much locked into a straight shot to Genesta.

Her palace is pretty nice, though. I like the landing here especially.

You know, Rosella has had a pretty lovely day. She was tied to a stake as a sacrifice for a three headed dragon, her dad had sudden onset of heart failure, and then she got forced into a pretty terrifying adventure. She's gotta be both exhausted and starving. The last food she ate was almost 24 hours ago with the dwarves!

So I guess it wouldn't hurt if we take one little bite...

>eat fruit

: Rosella takes a bite of the luscious-looking fruit. Mmmmm! Delicious! Before she knows it, she has eaten the whole thing. Wow! A feeling of vigor and vitality courses through her body, giving her boundless energy and that wonderful glow of health.

poo poo. Well maybe heart failure isn't deadly. :ohdear:

>give talsiman to genesta

: Rosella gives the magic talisman to the dying fairy. ALmost instantly, the color returns to her cheeks and her green eyes begin to sparkle. She sits up in bed, stretches, and smiles at Rosella.

Well, Genesta looks better.

: You have saved my life, Rosella! Not only that, you have saved Tamir from the persecution of Lolotte. We are deeply indebted to you. I want to go outside; I need to feel the warm sun on my face!

: Rosella suddenly finds herself outside.
: You performed so heroically for all of us here in Tamir... but you forgot one thing. You forgot the magic fruit for your father.
: Rosella coughs discreetly and wipes the juice from her mouth.
: Well, it's too late now. I must immediately return you to Daventry so you may at least bid him good-bye.
: Genesta waves her wand and Rosella finds her peasant garb has changed back into her royal gown.
: You look like yourself again. You'd best be off. We won't forget you here! Good luck!

: Rosella made it just in time. Just in time that is... to look her father in the eyes before he quietly dies. He must have been waiting for her return.

Well everyone, that's the end of King's Quest IV. Kind of a downer ending, I know. But this game was always one of the darkest in the series. So I'll see you all next week when we start King's Quest V!

The real ending is coming tomorrow.

List of Points

+2 - Rescued the hen. Again.
+2 - Got Pandora's Box back
+4 - Freed the unicorn
+2 - Returned the evil box
+2 - Locked the door
-10 - Ate the fruit. The one that would have saved Graham.
+10 - Gave the talisman to Genesta

Total

218/230

Register of Deaths

Falling off the Mountain Path x10
Tripping at the Bottom of the Mountain

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

: Hey... we don't want to end the game like this.
: Yeah. Let's do the mega-happy ending.
: The mega-happy ending? That's doable.

Hello everyone and welcome to the final update of King's Quest IV. We rewound all the way back to before we ate the the fruit. So let's do this ending properly.

>give talsiman to genesta

: Rosella gives the magic talisman to the dying fairy. Almost instantly, the color returns to her cheeks and her green eyes begin to sparkle. She sits up in bed, stretches, and smiles at Rosella.

: You have saved my life, Rosella! Not only that, you have saved Tamir from the persecution of Lolotte. We are deeply indebted to you. I want to go outside; I need to feel the warm sun on my face!

: Rosella suddenly finds herself outside.
: My little Hen! Where ever did you find her?
: The ogre over on the mainland somehow had possession of her.
: Poor thing. Well, at least she's back home now.

: Now for you, Rosella. It's my turn to help YOU out. I will return you to Daventry; and with the magic fruit you will be able to save your father's life. We'd better hurry, though, as he doesn't have much time left. But first, let's replace those peasant clothes with your royal gown.

: There is someone else deserving of a reward for his kindness and heroism.

: You have a beautiful soul, Edgar. You should look like what you are.

So all that "be yourself" nonsense? Yeah, that doesn't matter a whit when it comes to fairy tale endings. Gotta turn the little green man into generic handsome prince #85277.

: Rosella stares in disbelief. This handsome hunk is Edgar?!!
: Rosella, I love you. Will you marry me?
: Rosella thinks about it. Then she thinks about it some more.
: I'm sorry Edgar. You're very sweet, but I must immediately return home.
: My father is dying as we speak, and if I don't get this magic fruit home to him, he will not survive.
: Perhaps we'll meet again.
: Well, Rosella. It's time for you to go. Your father desperately needs you. Goodbye! We'll never forget you.

: Rosella gives the healing fruit to her dying father, and strongly urges him to take a bite. Weakly, he does so.

: How are you feeling, Father?
: I've never felt better in my life! What is IN this fruit, anyway?
: It is MAGIC, Father! It all started yesterday in the throne room...
: Some time passes while Rosella tells the story of her adventure.

: I don't think you're through with this hat yet. You've got too much life ahead of you.
: Alexander and Queen Valanice readily agree.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the real ending of King's Quest IV.

NEXT TIME:

List of Points

+2 - A stray golden ball
+5 - Kissed a frog
+2 - Shakespeare Omnibus
+4 - Secret door
+2 - Shovel
+2 - The worm
+5 - Supped with Dwarves
+2 - Bag of Diamonds
+3 - Honesty has material rewards
+3 - Traded for a lute
+3 - Upgraded to a flue
+3 - Traded priceless diamonds for an old fishing pole
+1 - Baited the hook
+3 - Fishing
+2 - Big beautiful feather
+5 - Whale tickling
+3 - Clairvoyance
+4 - Pelican friend
+2 - Shiny whistle
+2 - Blew into whistle
+2 - Rode a dolphin
+2 - Robbed Cupid
+4 - Befriended a unicorn
+3 - Enslaved a unicorn
+7 - Delivered a beautiful, innocent creature to pure evil
+5 - The Princess Frog
+2 - Old Board
+2 - These old bones
+4 - Dog treat
+2 - You want axe?
+4 - The golden goose that's really a chicken
+4 - Threatened the forest and the trees
+7 - Returned the hen
+3 - Robbed 3 old women literally blind
+2 - Profited from robbing 3 old women
+3 - Throwing a glass ball at 3 old women
+2 - Crossed the Chasm
+2 - Crossed onto the Island
+4 - Snake Charmer
+10 - Got the magic fruit!
+2 - Crossing the Chasm (again)
+3 - Silver Rattle
+2 - Baby ghost helped
+3 - Ghost money
+2 - Jacob Marley helped
+3 - Buried locket
+2 - Sad ghost helped
+3 - Medal found
+2 - Lord ghost helped
+3 - Exhumed a toy horse
+2 - Made a dead little boy happy
+2 - Got some old sheet music
+4 - Played creepy music
+2 - Looted skeleton key
+3 - Entered the forbidden crypt
+2 - Lowered the ladder
+4 - Legendary source of all evil
+7 - Gave the evil fairy Pandora's Box
+2 - Got gold key
+2 - Escaped Edgar's room
+4 - The return of >get all
+2 - Sneaking into Lolotte's bedroom
+8 - Murdered the poo poo out of Lolotte
+5 - Got Genesta's Talisman
+2 - Rescued the hen. Again.
+2 - Got Pandora's Box back
+4 - Freed the unicorn
+2 - Returned the evil box
+2 - Locked the door
-10 - Ate the fruit. The one that would have saved Graham.
+10 - Didn't eat the fruit actually
+10 - Gave Talisman to Genesta
+2 - Returned the hen to Genesta

Final Total

230/230

Register of Deaths

Tree hugging
Ogre randomly appearing
We're gonna need a bigger boat
Swimming while tired
Wasting away in a whale's mouth
Coming to Dinner x2
Making Friends with a Dog
Let Sleeping Ogres Lie
Taking a nice, hot bath
Feeding a troll x2
Falling into an invisible bottomless pit x7
Swimming in the Swamp x4
Universal Cameo
Snake Poison x2
Taking a Shortcut from the Attic
Cheating
Opening Pandora's Box. You moron.
Controls Were Reversed x2
Rosella's Wedding*
Pissing off Lolotte
Falling off the Mountain Path x10
Tripping at the Bottom of the Mountain
Bad Ending*

Final Total

43 Deaths, 2 Bad Endings

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

How long are these games? I only ever (successfully) beat 5 and remember it taking the better part of a day even when I knew what to do, thanks to this new thing called online walkthroughs*. But I don't know if that's just bad memory or unneeded exploration or if 5 legitimately is longer, because 1-4 thus far have seemed like you could crank them out in like an hour each.

*The idea that you could get full-length step by step walkthroughs for free was loving revolutionary and mind-blowing in like 1992 when I was playing KQ5. Life changing levels of incredibleness.

The first several games in the series are super short. Once the series transitioned to VGA graphics and CD-rom storage, they were able to guarantee more content for the same price. My memory pegs #6 at being the longest game, though I could be mistaken. Currently, 6 is the only game I haven't yet completed a test run for. Below are my best guesses at how long it took me to complete each game.

KQ1 - ~60 minutes
KQ2 - ~30 minutes
KQ3 - ~100 minutes
KQ4 - ~110 minutes
KQ5 - 150+ minutes
KQ6 - N/A
KQ7 - 330+ minutes

Bear in mind that these times are knowing exactly where to go and what to do, plus showing off a bunch of random deaths and alternate endings. Typically, they're the sort of games you can knock out in an afternoon with some patience.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Snorb posted:

Cedric: No, Graham! Don't!

Graham: AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *thud*

Narrator: Uh-oh! That last step was a doozy!

Alternatively again...

: No more for today.

: AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *thud*

: It costs one GOLD coin to see Madame Mushka.

Slight spoilers under that link, but that video cracks me up every time I watch it.

whitehelm posted:

DoubleNegative: What do you think about Kings Quest 2015 and its changes to Graham's story?

I haven't played it yet, but it seems neat. I'll probably grab it in the next major Steam sale.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Missing key moments to screencap? Fraps or otherwise capture the footage, then go through it and screencap at leisure.

Technical difficulties the entire night. ScummVM, it turns out, doesn't like Sierra VGA titles. It straight up skips entire audio clips completely at random. I also had far more trouble than I should have with capturing the game at my desired resolution instead of being upscaled to my monitor's native.

I had a third of the game recorded and had to scrap all of it because of the first issue.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

That's my name! :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

This game opens up with a wizard appearing out of nowhere to steal Castle Daventry, and Graham is the only member of the royal family not in the castle at the time. Graham was out on a walk, presumably as part of a health regimen for recovering from his near-fatal heart attack in the previous game.

Technology-wise, the game is now back in the VGA era. You remember my King's Quest I LP, with the beautiful backgrounds, the mouse-driven interface, and voice acting? Yeah, we're back in that era now. Also making their triumphant return are puns: gloriously awful puns as the nominal reward for dying. And we'll be dying a lot because King's Quest V is somewhat infamous for being bullshit hard.

Spoilers?

If you have to talk about the plot in the game, then use spoiler bars. Otherwise the same "don't be a dick" rule applies.

The Updates

#1 - Going to Serenia
#2 - kings_quest_5_town_theme.mid
#3 - Making Up for Lost Time
#4 - Ahh! Life-giving water! Nectar of the gods!
#5 - Plot Dump!
#6 - The Dark Forest
#7 - The Rat Puzzle
#8 - Trading Sequence
#9 - Cedric and the Mountain
#10 - Queen Icebella
#11 - The Yeti Puzzle
#12 - Harpy Island
#13 - The Island of Mordack
#14 - The Maze of Mordack
#15 - Inside Mordack's Castle
#16 - Crispin ex Machina

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 27, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

King's Quest V - Sierra Fanfare

It's time, everyone. Allow me to be the first to say...

Welcome to King's Quest V. We're in for quite the ride. While not the first Sierra title I ever played, King's Quest V is one that I actually played when I was a kid.

We're given the option to skip the intro. While I would be quite happy if I didn't have to look at it again for a very long time, we'll be watching it regardless.

We're given the option to skip the intro twice. This warning actually pops up before every major cutscene in the game. Including, inexplicably, the ending. It is nice if you're replaying the game just for the puzzles (:psyduck: why would you do that?) but it does create some head scratching moments.

Click this for video

King's Quest V - Intro & Story

There is a lot to complain about with this game, but the art is not one of those things. This game is beautiful. It's been upgraded to 256 color VGA graphics and you can tell. It's quite the departure from previous games.

That second link, by the way, is a soundtrack link. Going forward, I'm going to try to link to them more. The King's Quest IV soundtrack was just a single video that was something like 30 minutes long with just every track in the game. The soundtrack for V is a nice youtube playlist that I can quickly copy from, so it's a lot less hassle to link to.

Also the soundtrack is a lot nicer sounding than the PC speaker stuff that was happening with IV. Many individual screens have different tracks that help give a lot of character to the world.

For a fun time, try to see the edit points in the above gif. It's about half as long as it used to be.

Thankfully, one person managed to avoid being abducted along with the castle. It wouldn't be much of a game otherwise.

For the third, and final, time in the series, Graham will be our protagonist.

: My castle! What has happened?
: Ooooh I can tell you what happened.
: What?

: Ooooh I know what happened to your castle. I saw it all. Yes, I did.
: You did? Well then, what happened?

Our witness, as you can see, is an owl. You can tell he's an owl because he draws ouuuuuuuuut some voooooowel souuuuuuuunds. Typically O's and U's. You know, because owls intelligent enough to talk need to imitate hooting. Constantly.

I'm going to pre-empt the game a little bit and introduce him now. This is Cedric. I really hope you don't like him. Because along with the loving moon logic puzzles, he will be the source of a lot of my complaints about the game.

King's Quest V is the worst game in the series by a wide margin, and Cedric is a lot of the reason why. Ask any random person what they know about the game and the answer is probably going to be "Cedric" "a poooooisonous snake" and "the loving rat puzzle".

By the way, you really ought to click on the video link up above. Just to really get a taste of how awful this character is.

: Ooooh it was the powerful and evil wizard Mordack who did it. Ooooh I just happened to be visiting with an oooold friend when I saw him materialize out of thin air. Thank goodness he didn't notice ME!
: Well don't stop now, go on!

: He conjured up a terrible whirlwind that swirled faster and faster around the castle. With another incantation Mordack then caused the wind to draw the castle up into the sky and out of sight. Ooooh, it was something to see, all right!

: Why? Why would this wizard... Mordack want my castle? What could he have against me and my family?
: That I don't know. Ooooh I only know that it was Mordack who took your castle... and your family.

: Well... perhaps I can help you. My employer also happens to be a wizard, which is why I recognized Mordack. Ooooh Unlike Mordack, though, my employer is a very gooood wizard. His name is Crispinophur... but we all call him Crispin for short. The only problem is, you see...

I'm not sure who is supposed to laugh at that. Pratfalls can be funny if done right, but Cedric is decidedly not funny.

: Ahem! Anyway...where was I? Ooooh yes. The oooonly problem is that Crispin is getting on in years and tends to be a bit forgetful.
: I don't know. This doesn't sound as if it would work.
: Ooooh, sure it would! Crispin is a very qualified wizard... one of the best. He just gets a little forgetful now and again, that's all.
: I'm really not sure a half senile wizard can help me...
: Now where is it? Ooooh I know I brought it with me. Aha! Here it is!

: What is that?
: Well! It is my opinion that yoooou don't stand a chance against the likes of Mordack. Ooooh Excuse me for saying, Your Majesty... but you don't have a choice. You MUST come with me. I'm sure Crispin can help yoooou!
: Graham frowns at the owl's assessment.

: What is that stuff?
: Ooooh, just some oooold, left-over fairy dust I've been carrying around. Ooooh It'll help you to fly. Yoooou can follow me to the land of Serenia, where Crispin and I live. It's MUCH too far to walk, you know. Ooooh I think the fairy dust is still good.

Sitting here and transcribing the text, I've started to develop a dull ache right at the base of my skull. Every time Cedric draws out his "ooooh" sound, that ache throbs.

:allears: Graham is so graceful.

: Come on! Up here! Follow meeeeee...!

Serenia is the land to the northwest of Daventry, on the same continent. Traveling there on foot would take an incredibly long time, so temporary flight is a pretty handy way of crossing the miles.

: There it is! Down here! Come on!
: Okay... here I come!

How Graham didn't die from that fall I have no idea.

: Ooooh... looks like the fairy dust just wore off.

: Cedric! Where have you been? I've been calling for you! Well, well, what have we here?

: A bit clumsy, are you? Well, come on in the house and dry off. No sense sitting around like a wet dog.

: Cedric, go on in the house and pour each of us a nice hot cup of tea.
: Oh! Aye, aye, Crispin.

: The Society of Wizards has always taken a dim view of Mordack and his abuse of his power. Why, he's even been put on suspension a few times. It never seems to do any good, though.

Sounds like the Society is pretty useless. Merely suspending membership of someone who is abusing power is about the most worthless thing they could do in any situation. We're not going to get any "Society" support in this adventure, and this line is the last time they'll ever be brought up in the entire series.

: Crispin, why would Mordack want to take my family or castle? What did WE ever do to him?
: I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. Mordack is a very unpredictable wizard. I've NEVER understood that evil mind of his.

I don't want to keep harping on this, but the Society of Wizards knows that Mordack is evil and, at best, all they do is give him a slap on the wrist and make him super pinky swear promise he'll be good in the future. Out of the four wizards we've met in the series so far, three have been evil douchebags. From this sample size of four, I'm being led to believe that the Society is most likely a bunch of evil wizards and Crispin who is too dumb to notice.

: I thought perhaps you could help His Majesty, Crispin. That's why I brought him here.
: Well, let me see now... I used to be a very powerful wizard at one time, you know... but I've gotten a little rusty lately.
: A LITTLE rusty?
: That's quite enough from you, Cedric!
: Yes, sir, Crispin... sir.
: I don't know what I have that would be of much use to you. Most of my wizard stuff is pretty old and worn out. But, let's see what I can find.

I could have sped that gif up. I didn't.

: No, that won't do. That's all used up.

: Hmmmm. It might work. Here, eat this.
: What IS that?
: That's an old piece of magical white snake I had left over from last year. With it, you'll be able to communicate with the natural and animal world. You could find that quite helpful.

It checks out. Kinda. Alright look, a snake was one of the ingredients at least.

: Here's my old wand. I don't even know if it works anymore. Most of its power may be gone. You should know that wands are like pets. They've got to get to know you before they'll work for you. Just treat it with care and respect and hopefully it will do something for you.

Recall that Gwydion Alexander was able to get Monsoon's wand to work without an acclimation process.

: You'd better get going, my boy. No telling WHAT that confounded Mordack could be up to. You go with him, Cedric. Show him the way.
: Who, meeeee?
: Yes, you! Don't be such a coward. Now, go on! You'd better get started!
: Thank you, sir. I appreciate all you've done for me.

: Ooooh I suggest we visit the town first. How about it, Your Majesty?
: Please don't call me Your Majesty, Cedric. It's much too formal. I'd like it if you'd just call me Graham.
: Ooooh I'd be delighted to Graham. Anyway... what was I talking about? Oh, yes! The town! You might be able to find some supplies there. It's just over a little hill to the south; not too far.
: Well then, let's be on our way, Cedric.

And with that, the long intro is finally over. But before I close out this introductory update, let's go over the interface.

Luckily I did all of this back in King's Quest I. So if you want in-depth coverage, just go re-read the first update of that. For a quick refresher, the four important icons are...

: Walk.
: Look.
: Use.
: Talk.

Options menu is largely identical to the AGDI KQ1 remake. In this game, we're going to set Graham's speed at maximum and it will never leave there.

260 points are this game's maximum. Unlike the previous four LPs of the series, we won't be able to view our points at a glance anymore. I've got a list of points open in a tab in Chrome that I'll be referring to for totals.

Also for the love of God and all that is holy do not touch the volume slider. I will actually be turning it down a ways a few minutes into the game proper. There's a somewhat infamous music track that feels like it gets louder the longer it goes. Also Cedric's voice is known to cause involuntary eye twitching, and that doesn't need to be any louder than it already is.

Something neat is that you can click the walk icon on a door and the game will intuit that you want Graham to walk through the door. So let's go talk to Crispin again.

: Don't be wasting your time coming in here. Young man, I've done all I can for you. Now it's up to you. Well, anyway... I'm not going to be here for a little while. There's an emergency I have to attend to in a neighboring land. I'll try to keep an eye out for you... but... this is something you and Cedric are going to have to do yourselves. I wish you the best, King Graham.
: I appreciate all you've done, Crispin. I'll be on my way now.

Cedric

: Cedric seems to be thinking big thoughts right now, perhaps planning their next move, and so is not in a talkative mood.

That's cute. Cedric thinks he has any input on where this crazy train is rolling.

Anyway, think of this like the VGA version of >talk to cedric. It's something I'm going to try out for this game, and see how it works out.

door near the stream

: A small cellar door is located under the house.

cellar door

: Ooooh, don't bother with the cellar door; there's nothing there. Besides, it's locked.

well

: Curious, Graham gazes down into Crispin's well, but sees nothing of interest.

So let's call the first update there.

NEXT TIME: The game starts in earnest.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 13, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest V. There's quite a lot to do today, so let's not waste any time. First off, Crispin gave us a wand last time in the intro. So let's take a look at that.

: The old wand doesn't seem to have any vitality left in it.

Anyway, the game is more or less divided into three sections. The first section takes place here in Serenia, and it's the usual King's Quest fare where we wander around, talk to people, and try to work out just what Roberta Williams was thinking. This first section of the game is also laid out in a 4x3 grid of screens. We're in the top right corner, and we can leave south or west.

south

: Graham watch out! A pooooisonous snake!

Thankfully the warning only plays once.

snake

: A large, venomous snake blocks Graham's passage to the east.

snake

: Sssssstaaaayyyyy awaaaaayyyy. Thissss is myyyyy paaaaath.

snake

: In silence, the large serpent eyes Graham menacingly.

So let's start this LP off the right way.

snake

: That wasn't wise, Graham. He who speaks with forked tongues should never be trusted.

I dunno, it seems pretty legit to me. He warned us to stay away, and when we violated his personal space he killed us.

Getting this snake to move is going to be our major goal for the first part of the game. Everything we do here in Serenia will either be in service of getting him to move, or surviving in the area beyond.

We can also talk to Cedric for directions, though his usefulness is limited to the civilized parts of Serenia.

cedric

: See how the path goes to the east up into the mountains? That's the rooooute to Mordack's castle.
: Ooooh If you follow the path to the south over the next rise yoooou'll come to the town.

Even on the twelve screens that make up this part of Serenia, he only gives directions on, at best, six of them.

south

The perspective on this screen is a tad weird. Cedric is those six pixels just under the walk cursor. So let's look around the screen some.

water wheel

: A small tributary of the larger river powers an old waterwheel as it flows through the town.

cow

: Secure within a small pen, a pretty cow quietly chews her cud.

cow

: Come on, Graham! Don't waste your time with that cow!

cow

: Unfortunately, the cow doesn't have anything to say. Her mouth is too full of cud.

The fixation on the cow's cud is kind of weird.

cedric

: Ooooh if you follow this path along the river, yoooou'll come to the town bakehouse. You might find something delicious... I mean uuuuseful there.

Right. Cedric is apparently hungry for baked goods. So let's let him stew for a bit and go explore the town.

town

: If you're going into town I'll wait for you here. I had a nasty run-in with a dog once and I'd feel much safer out here.

King's Quest V - Town Theme
King's Quest V - Town Theme (midi)

For maximum effect, be sure to start it off loud and then gradually increase the volume as you listen to it. This game's soundtrack, with only a couple of exceptions, is very good. This is one of those exceptions. The top link is a lot more classy sounding than the bottom one, which is... uh... well, Manfred Mann put it best.

"Blinded by the Light posted:

With a boulder on my shoulder
Feelin' kinda older
I tripped the merry-go-round

With this very unpleasin'
Sneezin' and wheezin'
The calliope crashed to the ground

What is with these godawful perspectives? When I was a kid, I mistook the birch tree on the far right side of town as a dirt path leading off to the east.

Anyway, we can talk to most of the people here in town, but they are just random NPCs without portraits. I don't really feel like making a bunch for people who are so unimportant that they don't exist in other versions of the game.

There's a man next to the broken cart. He's just above the woman in the red dress. Let's talk to him

: How goes it with you, good fellow?
: Not well, I'm afraid. This old wagon's always giving me trouble.
: Can I help you in any way?
: Thank you kindly, but I think I can handle it.
: All right then. Good luck.
: Thanks. With this wagon, I'm gonna need it.

man

: No need to help me, sir. I think I can fix the wagon. Thanks anyway.

We'll just leave him to that and continue to explore the town instead. Let's go in the closest door to Graham.

King's Quest V - Shop Theme

The video link says "Tailor Shop" but the same tune plays in every shop in the game. It's a much better, more understated version of the town theme.

: May I help you, sir?

The cloak over in the corner sticks out like a sore thumb. So let's take a look at it.

cloak

: In the corner of the shop, draped casually over a tailor's form, Graham sees a thick, fur-lined cloak.

half-naked man

: At the back of the shop, Graham notices a dressing room in which a finicky customer tries on, and rudely rejects, many items of fine clothing.

There's something like eleven things this guy can randomly shout while you're in the shop.

: I don't like THIS at all!
: You expect me to wear THIS!
: Why, these trousers don't even fit!
: This shirt's too tight in the shoulders!
: This isn't my style at all!
: Take these back. I don't like any of them.
: The sleeves aren't long enough!
: "This material's too thin. I like something thicker.
: How am I supposed to get my boots on over these trousers?
: This tie isn't the right color.
: Here, take this. Let me try on another one.

There comes a point where you just need to fire the customer.

tailor

: I'm interested in buying something here.
: Ah! Let me show you some things.

: A fine piece of cloth. With this material I could make you beautiful shirts. There isn't a more beautiful piece of fabric to be found anywhere! With this, I could make you the finest trousers you've ever had. Well, what do you think?
: Well, right now I'm just looking. Thanks anyway.
: Sure, sure. Whatever you say. I'm just here to help.

tailor

: Not wishing to be put through another speech about fine shirts and trousers, Graham wisely keeps his mouth shut.

cloak

: Here. Let me help you with that. Oh, that cloak fits you PERFECTLY! It just looks WONDERFUL on you! Let me tell you... it will certainly keep you toasty warm during the coming winter. Let me know if you wish to buy it.

We can't do anything here yet. So let's just move on. We can't do anything in any of the three shops yet. No points for guessing that we'll need that cloak.

Into the second shop!

: Come on in! Look around! Let me know if you're interested in anything.

Like before, the item we need from in here is instantly obvious. Let's take a look around like the nice toy maker guy said.

girl

: he little girl is too interested in her doll. She pays no attention to Graham.

Fair enough. Let's just talk to the toy maker instead.

: This is a fine little toyshop you have here. You must be very proud.
: Danke, son. I've worked very hard at it over the yars. But you know, you need to really love it... und I do.
: Are most of these toys your creations?
: Ja, most of them. But not all. Some my son made, some I bought, some I traded for.
: You're very talented.
: Danke, danke. Well, let me know if I can help you.

I get the impression this jolly toy maker is German, or perhaps Dutch?

sled

: Hanging on a side wall, Graham notices a strong little sled.

sled

: That's a fine sled, isn't it? Any child would love to have it.
: Yes. I was just admiring the workmanship.
: Danke. If you'd like to buy it, let me know.

Occasionally the door in the back of the toy shop opens and the man back there talks to the toy maker.

: The shipment of carving wood hasn't come in yet. What should we do?
: If it's not in by tomorrow I'll send you to visit the sawmill.
: Okay, Papa.

: Papa, where did you put those new doll clothes Mama made?
: Look in the trunk upstairs. I think I put them there.
: I'll do that.

: Papa, Mama wants you to know that it's almost lunchtime.
: Okay, son. Tell her I'll be in soon.

: I'm going to count up the cash receipts from yesterday, okay?
: That's a good idea, son.

: Is Katrina behaving herself, Papa?
: She's fine, son. I've got my eye on her.
: Okay, but let me know if she's bothering you.

: Papa, where is the puppet string?
: Hmmmm. I think it's in the small cupboard. Look there.

: Papa, don't forget Mr. Richards is coming by tomorrow to pick up the wagon for his son.
: I haven't forgotten. It's all ready to go.

Until I looked at this transcription online, I never realized that a character you may never see has this much dialogue. You technically don't have to walk into the shops until you're ready to get the items you need.

Occasionally the little girl will talk too.

: Grandpapa?
: Ja, mine darling?
: Can I keep this doll? I really like her.
: Now, Katrina. You know these toys are for sale for other kinder. Besides, you've got plenty of dolls. You can play mit her, but just be careful.
: All right, Grandpapa. I'll take care of her.

And that's enough of this place for a long time. If it gets any more saccharine in here I'm going to get tooth decay.

Thankfully there's only one more place in town to check out. No optional dialogue, either. So this will be both short and sweet.

: Take a look around if you want, but we don't have any shoes to sell you right now. We sold our last finished pair yesterday. Our business ain't doin' so good anymore and we're gettin' too old to keep tryin'.
: Is there anything I can do to help?
: There ain't nothin' you can do short o' buyin' us out. But, like I said, if you want to look around, feel free.
: Okay, thanks.

I admittedly don't own my own business selling shoes, but telling a random stranger who walks in to the shop that your business is failing doesn't sound like a great idea.

old woman

: You don't have any shoes for sale, huh?
: That's right. No shoes at all. We're makin' a pair right now, but it'll take awhile...we're not as fast as we used to be.
: Well, that's okay. My trusty boots should carry me through the rest of my journey.
: Sorry, son. We're doin' the best we can.

Honestly, these two are some of the weaker, more forgettable characters in the game. Compared to even the other shopkeepers in town, this pair are flat and boring. At best, they're just a cheap attempt at pathos. The poor fisherman and his wife in the previous game did the same thing a whole hell of a lot better and they were so one dimensional that you can see the eraser marks on the notebook paper around them.

dog

: This old dog doesn't look very appealing to Graham.

0/10 poo poo game. Can't pet the dog, so gently caress this entirely. <:mad:>

I'm going to post this image again to point out that there are two items to pick up on this screen. If you haven't played in a long time, or have never played, try to work out where they are. We'll be back for them in a bit.

But first, there's a death I can only show off if I don't loot the town.

west

This is the town bakehouse. We'll be back here a few more times later in the game. Right now, it's just a crossroads.

west

This is the inn. We can't do anything here for a while yet.

west

King's Quest V - The Beehive

This MT-32 soundtrack makes the game sound a lot more classy. Sadly, I can't find many midi tracks on youtube. In the midi version, I would say this track is the other not-so-great one. It's a somewhat high pitched droning tone. It's extremely annoying to listen to. Anyway, this is our destination.

: Ooooh Stay away from those bees!

So like I was saying in town, there's a death you can only show off if you don't get a specific item from there first. King's Quest V uses a lot of item-based event flags, and this is the first such one in the game. To be honest, I didn't even realize you could do this until I was preparing to record for this LP.

tree

: That wasn't a smart move, Graham. BEE seeing you.

Alright, so now we're back here. Have you had time to think about where the two items we need are? Need a hint?

Yep. That single white pixel is something we can take.

: Bending down, Graham quickly retrieves the silver coin from the street.

The other item we need is in the barrel that looks like some background scenery.

barrel

: Inside the old barrel, Graham sees an old, rotting fish. Graham leans way down into the barrel and removes... phew... the smelly old fish.

We're back here at the bakehouse again. Just one more death to show off in this update. We can actually do this on any screen with the river, but the message is the same each time.

river

: No Graham! Don't!

: Too bad. Graham's swimming skills were no match for the mighty river.

This is going to be a pattern with Cedric. He has an extremely unfortunate habit of not trying to "help" until you're already dead.

NEXT TIME: We're going to explore Serenia

List of Points

+2 - Pixel Hunt 1 (Silver Coin)
+2 - Guessing you can look in the barrel

Total

4/260

Register of Deaths

A pooooisonous snake!
Not BEEing careful
Swimming in a river

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, and welcome back to King's Quest V. You know, normally this screen isn't lingered on this much. We could technically spend our silver coin right now, but I've had quite enough of that shop theme for a while. So we'll hold onto it for now. This will also let me show off a line of optional dialogue later on and do some more complaining.

The reason I started here again was to let Cedric continue to play tour guide for as long as he's able.

: See the road there? Back to the east is the town. Yoooou'll find a run-down inn if you follow the road to the west.

Anyway, we're going to follow the path behind the bakehouse.

north

man

: Upon a fallen log sits a dashing young prince who looks very sad and confused.

bird

: What a wonderful bluebird. It could almost make Graham happy again if it wasn't for his family.

That's kind of needlessly over-dramatic. I know Graham is looking for his family, but nothing so far has given the impression he was depressed over the whole thing. I read Graham as full of resolve and determination.

cedric

: Let's say 'helloooo' to the young prince, Graham. He looks like he could uuuuse a good cheering up.

Part of me wants to disagree with Cedric on basic principle of the matter, but we might be able to help this young prince regardless. I guess it wouldn't hurt just to talk to him...

prince

: Graham squeezes his eyes shut and addresses the young man.

No, really.

: Uh... excuse me, young man. Sorry to bother you, but I couldn't help but notice you sitting there on that log. I was wondering if there was anything wrong.
: Why, yes... as a matter of fact, there is. I've been searching everywhere for my fiancee. She's a beautiful princess with long golden tresses, fetching blue eyes, and smooth, creamy skin. Have you seen her anywhere about?
: No, sorry. I haven't seen anyone like that.
: That's what I figured. No one has seen her. I think that old witch who lives in the Dark Forest had something to do with her disappearance.
: I'll keep an eye out for her. If I see her I'll let her know you're looking for her.
: I would appreciate that. Well, I guess I'd better get back to looking for her. I'm not ever going to find her just sitting around here. Thanks for your concern.

cedric

: If you walk to the south you'll run into the town bakehouse.
: Graham massages his forehead as he responds.
: Thanks, Cedric. That's real helpful. Do you perhaps know of somewhere we haven't been yet?

: Ooooh, well there's nothing but a dark, scary forest to the north.
: Sounds great. Let's go.
: But...
: Bye Cedric!

north

King's Quest V - Dark Forest

Looks inviting.

cedric

: Cedric perches nervously on a tree limb at the edge of a gloomy forest.
: In a pleading voice, he makes a suggestion to Graham.
: Back to the east is Crispin's house...

Well what the hell, let's go in.

forest

: Ooooh, no! Ooooh I'M not going in there! Can't you read the sign?
: Come on, Cedric. There might be something important in here.
: Goooo if you want to. I'll wait HERE!

The game gives us some points on entering. If you were playing for the first time, this might be a hint that you were on the right track. Nope.

This is the witch that lives in the Dark Forest, because of course there is one. If you walk in here before you're supposed to, she'll kill you, with no way to prevent it. The ball of magic turns you into a frog.

I'd show a gif of the process, but the foreground hides Graham, sadly.

: That old witch caught Graham toad-ally off guard.

:allears: That was worth it just for the pun.

Well, the sign WAS right. Guess I can't fault it for telling the truth. Let's just continue to explore.

west

King's Quest V - The Weeping Willow

I mentioned in previous updates that for the most part the soundtrack was amazing. I also had two examples of really bad tracks from it. How about, then, what is probably the best one?

tree

: A graceful weeping willow tree grows beside a small pond created from... her tears? In her branch-like arms she clutches a beautiful harp as a child would a cherished toy.

tree

: Uh, Miss... Willow?
: Yes?
: You can talk?
: Why, of COURSE I can! What did you expect?
: Well, I've never seen a talking tree before. What's wrong?
: Everything's wrong! Can't you tell? I'm not really a tree... I'm really a princess. You see, my fiancé and I were walking through this wood when a nasty old witch came along and was instantly charmed by my handsome prince. When he naturally refused her advances, she jealously banished him to a faraway land and turned me into a tree. Then she stole my heart!
: Stole your heart?
: Yes. She turned my heart to gold and took it away with her. The only way I can become human again is to have my heart brought back. Now all I have to cheer me up is my harp. It's quite magical, you know. It plays the sweetest music you've ever heard. Now please! Leave me alone in my sorrow.

tree

: Please, don't bother me anymore. Let me weep in peace.

pond

: *chokes and coughs*
: What's wrong Graham?
: That's salt water, blech!

cedric

: Ohhh what a sad song she plays. Let's try to cheer her up, Graham.
: How will I find this heart of mine
: Taken from me for some time
: Here I stand in my pool of tears
: Here I'll stay throughout the years

This is obviously the princess we were just told about. What's kind of frustrating is if you approach this encounter the other way around, you can't tell Herbert, the prince, about this willow princess.

Well, nothing we can do here for a while yet. So let's just move on.

south

King's Quest V - the Gnomes

young gnome

: Sitting on a stool in front of his house, a young gnome happily plays with an exquisite marionette.

older gnome

: An old grandfather gnome sits contentedly on an old stump and smokes a large pipe. He watches his grandson at play. The old gnome seems to be trying to ignore Graham.

Let's make friends.

older gnome

: Excuse me, sir...
: What're YOU doin' here? Don't you know this is private property?
: Oh! I'm terribly sorry to bother you. I was just noticing your son's marionette. It's very interesting. Where did you get it?
: It's grandson, not son... and I made it fer him. Why d'ya care?
: I just wanted to comment on its artistry. It's very well done. I don't suppose it could be bought?
: If it could, the price would be very steep; I reckon you couldn't afford it. Now... leave me and my grandson be!

Rude.

south

We're back here at the inn. We're slowly winding our way across Serenia.

cedric

: Ohhhh there's nothing to the west but endless desert.

Sounds like a good time. Let's see what we can find in the inn.

door

: Ohhhh I'll wait for you out here. I don't like that place.

King's Quest V - The Inn

: You know dat job we pulled yesterday? Where's da rest of da loot... huh? I t'ink one o' you guys is holdin' out on me!
: Gentlemen, please excuse me. I didn't mean to interrupt your...

: Da inn's full. Ain't got no more rooms.
: Hey, boss! Dis guy looks like a real troublemaker! Whaddya want me ta do wid 'im?
: Rub 'im out!

Fat, black greasy hair, ugly goatee, talks like an rear end in a top hat, runs a lovely hotel... I think I used to work for this guy.

Yep, definitely my old boss.

Like the forest before it, the inn is another death trap for a while yet. This one is infamous for a reason we'll get to eventually. So just sit tight and I'll cover it then.

: Struggle as he might, Graham cannot escape his bonds.

: Don't worry Graham, the innkeeper will soon put you out of your misery.

Right. So let's pretend we didn't and instead head back over to the bee tree.

west

: Ooooh watch out for the bear, Graham!

bear

: The bear is too intent on the honey to listen to Graham.
: Larva.
: What?
Grubs. The bear is after the bee's larvae, not the honey.
: Nobody likes a pedant, Graham.
: :( Why do my narrators keep saying that to me?

Let's see if we can squeeze past him.

bearpunch.gif is right up there with dramaticburgerbite.gif.

: Tisk tisk. Graham should know better than to feed the bears.

This bear doesn't appear until we pick up the decaying fish from town. Also, he seems to be hungry, so...

: Whew! This smelly old fish is disgusting!
: It is but a common silver coin.

bear

: I am Queen Beatrice, kind sir. I wish to thank you ever so much for saving our hive from the claws of that horrible bear. In return, I offer you a luscious honeycomb from our hive. Please feel free to retrieve one. I promise my bees won't harm you. It may come in handy on your travels.

After 3 full games away from them, I had started missing the puns. Now that they're back, I kinda wish they would go away again. You might say I have a love-hate relationship with them.

tree

: Graham reaches a hand into the beehive and retrieves a very sticky chunk of honeycomb. Wrapping it in a protective piece of cloth, he then pockets it.

While we're here...

stick

: Graham bends down and picks up the large stick from the ground.

We'll need this in about 10 seconds.

: Honey drips at the edges of the honeycomb chunk.
: It appears to be an average stick of wood.

We're now done on this screen for the rest of the game. We'll pass through again, but the bear puzzle was it.

north

King's Quest V - March of the Ants

: A bully of a dog terrorizes the poor ants as he playfully digs up their large anthill.
: Ooooh Graham! That dog looks mean! I don't like dogs!

This dog doesn't exist until you pick up the stick at the beehive. Unlike with the bees, there's no way to die on this screen.

dog

: The dog doesn't seem to be a friendly sort at all.

I said it last time, but it bears repeating. gently caress this game. You can't pet any of the dogs at all. The dog in the inn was "Just out of Graham's reach." They're good dogs, Roberta!

Trying to antagonize the dog only results in you getting growled at. So there's nothing entertaining you can even do here. So let's just skip to...

dog

: *whistles* Here, boy!

: Allow me to introduce myself. I'm King Antony the Great. May I ask who you are?

gently caress.

: Why certainly. I'm King Graham of Daventry and this is my friend, Cedric. We're seeking a way to cross the Great Mountains to the ocean on the other side.
: That is a very perilous undertaking. I wish you would reconsider. But if you shall not, in return for rescuing our home from that flea-bitten cur I wish to offer you our help if perchance you may ever need it.
: Thank you very much, King Antony. Cedric and I appreciate your kind offer. We look forward to meeting you again.

: Ooooh is that a new dance, Graham? The BUGaloooo!

These puns. God dammit. Let's just leave.

north

This is the last screen in Serenia. There's more to the west, but it's a special case that we'll cover another time.

: Ooooh keep your eye on the gypsies, Graham. I don't trust 'em.

Good to know. Cedric doesn't trust impoverished nomads who aren't bothering anyone, and are also camping peacefully on the edge of one of the world's infinite deserts. Best keep an eye on these people who aren't doing jack or poo poo. rear end in a top hat.

ox

: The ox's mouth is too full of grass to even attempt a conversation with Graham!

man

: Within the gypsy encampment, Graham notices a tall, burly man who keeps a suspicious eye on him and Cedric.

man

: The sullen man doesn't look like the conversational sort.

near wagon

: It vill cost you vone gold coin to see Madame Mushka.

Well, we can't afford that right now. Our chest of infinite money is somewhere far to the east. Also after the inflation problem brought about by Graham's predecessor, I don't think Daventry coins are worth much of anything anyway.

Anyway, that's about all we can do in Serenia for the time being. So I'm going to call the update there.

NEXT TIME: Cedric is too afraid to go somewhere. What a shocker.

List of Points

+2 - Walked into the Dark Forest
-2 - Except not really
+4 - Saved bees
+2 - Got some honey
+2 - Retrieved stick
+4 - Played fetch

Register of Deaths

16/260

Toadally unprepared
Meeting the Innkeeper
Feeding the bears

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Graham just has the big balls to believe he can handle anything.

That's my take on it. He's faced all sorts of poo poo in his previous two adventures, plus any more he got up to in the 17 intervening years between KQ2 and KQ3. He's been around the block enough to know that all it takes is a pair of strong legs and a penchant for extreme lateral thought. Also luck.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I believe I saw on the wiki that the dragon thing was somewhat Rosella's idea. No idea how much of this is complete bullshit but...

King's Quest Wiki on Rosella posted:

Sacrifice
Rosella was almost eighteen when the great Three-headed Dragon demanded her sacrifice against the total destruction of all Daventry and its people; and she was offered up as ransom for the kingdom. She returned the love her parents had given her by willingly going to meet the flaming doom.[8] She tried to be brave[9]; she learned well about hard choices and marched with sure, firm steps; her back straight and head held high, to the appointed place. Only one small, quiet tear glistened on her face as she kissed her parents farewell for what they all thought to be the final time.[10] Rosella and her father disappeared into the mountain, entering the dragon's lair.[11] Graham tied her to the stake, she was left awaiting death with her eyes open and dry.[12]

Graham returned to his wife's side, both were were devastated with loss.[13] When the dragon came for her, they returned to the castle to await their bitter end. Meanwhile, Rosella struggled to free herself. Her muscles were strained against the ropes, the veins and tendons of her neck quite visible from the effort. She was screamed in terror, as would anyone faced with the sure knowledge of being scorched to death at any moment by the giant reptile.[14] While she was struggling, she was rescued by Alexander, a brother she had never known, who journeyed across land and sea to save her. Rosella had been gone but two or three hours before she returned to the castle gates.

Instead of trying to do something about the rampaging three headed dragon, Graham listened to his closest adviser, Gerwain, on the matter. The brain trust of Daventry decided that Graham should start sacrificing young maidens to the dragon to appease its hunger.

You know, viewing Graham's inaction through the lens of simply not giving a gently caress anymore really explains a lot. Losing Alexander as a baby really hosed with him. :smith:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

So effective immediately, I'm moving to a MWF update schedule. Weekends have suddenly become way too busy to even attempt working on this. Aapparently the second I sit down and start thinking about working, the entire world suddenly needs my attention for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, and welcome back to King's Quest V. In the last update I mentioned that everything to the west of the beehive/anthill/encampment was a special case that "would be covered later." Well, later is now.

west

: There's nothing but a hot, dry desert further west. Most people avoid it, because there are bandits out there! If you insist on going, I'll wait for you HERE.

I'm surprised. Really. On the upside, that means that the next section of the game will be Cedric-less! :toot::hf::toot::hf::toot:

This desert had to balance the fact that we were about to start enjoying ourselves by not having to deal with our racist owl "buddy". So we're about to enter a maze of sorts. The desert itself is wide open and we can travel in any direction we want. But there is a very specific route that we need to follow, or we'll die.

: Too bad. Even the sting of such a small creature can prove deadly.

That route does not include the scrublands. These continue as far as south as it's possible to walk without dehydrating, and every single one of them has this little scorpion that kills you the instant you enter the screen.

Let's rewind, then. From the screen directly west of the beehive, we need to...

west x4

The liminal screens between points of interest in the desert look like this. So I'm just going to skip over them.

This oasis is directly west of the beehive. It's one of six places in the desert that you can reset the ticking death timer. You read that right. When Graham is in the desert, he has a limited number of screen transitions before he has to recharge at an oasis.

north x2

: The hot sun and choking sands are taking their toll on Graham. He must drink... and soon!

This massive rock wall borders the northern edge of the desert. If we were to walk four screens back east, we'd arrive at the fortune teller's wagon. Anyway, there's nothing we can do here, so let's move on.

east x1, south x1, west x1

: Too late! Graham collapses and dies of extreme thirst in the hot desert sun. If only he could have found an oasis!

: DYING for a drink, Graham?

Sure. Extreme thirst. He definitely didn't die from heat stroke, heat exhaustion, or exposure. Anyway this is the fifth screen since the oasis. Bearing in mind that the oasis paused the death counter, this is the eighth screen since we left the scrublands.

So, you have seven screen transitions in the desert to either find an oasis or to re-enter the scrublands.

Right, so now that I've demonstrated dying in the desert, let's rewind back to the oasis.

King's Quest V - Desert Oasis

oasis

: Ahh! Life-giving water! Nectar of the gods! Graham can now feel strength and renewal flowing through him.

I make a habit of saving at each oasis. I don't trust this game. Anyway, from here, we've got a short hike.

west x2, south x1

skeleton

: Uh oh! A picked-clean and sun-bleached skeleton of a man lies in the sand of the hot, dry desert. What happened? Who can say... but it makes Graham uneasy nevertheless.

Well, I got an idea. Here's a hint: it's an infinite desert. Anyway, the point of interest on this screen is the boot. This little unassuming item is one of the most infamous parts of this game. We're going need it.

boot

: An old shoe lies, forgotten, near the poor man's skeleton.

boot

: Uneasily, Graham reaches down and removes the old shoe from the desert sand.

Got what we need here. Let's continue on.

north x3, west x1

Given enough time and motivation, you'll eventually find everything there is to find in the desert on your own. The skeleton and boot was actually fairly close to another oasis, and that oasis wasn't too far from the bandit camp that Cedric mentioned.

But we need to come here first, else we can't loot the camp for the one item we need. If you don't know where you're going, I imagine that would be rather annoying.

Anyway, there's a small pool of water in front of the rocks. So let's not forget to use that.

water

: Ahh! Life-giving water! Nectar of the gods! Graham can now feel strength and renewal flowing through him.

: From across the desert sands, Graham can hear the sound of approaching hoofbeats.

King's Quest V - The Bandits and the Temple

: A spy! Get him!

: Never trust a bad guy, Graham.

So yeah. If you linger on this screen for about 30 seconds, you get killed. How do you avoid it?

You do the world's shittiest job hiding behind some rocks. The bandits have no idea what perspective is and can't see you.

We even get points for doing this.

: Open sesame!

He drops off his loot and leaves. And getting inside that temple is our next major goal. Luckily, all we need to do is find the bandit camp and get that staff.

south x3, west x2

This is one of the two oases closest to the bandit camp. So let's recharge and move on.

water

Yes, I'm going to post that every time Graham drinks. I had to listen to it, and now you have to read it. :colbert:

south x3, west x1

King's Quest V - Bandit Camp

The map I'm using lists the desert as an 11x7 grid. The scrublands next to the fortune teller are in the top right. That, then, places this bandit camp in the lower left.

drunk

: With disgust, Graham looks at a drunken bandit lying face down in the desert sand... completely passed out.

Well, that dancing show in the window looks fun. Let's go take a look. I'm sure they won't mind.

large tent

: An intruder!

: That wasn't a very smart move, Graham.

Fine, fine. We'll not enter the tent with all the bandits.

smaller tent

So this room is a giant trap. Though we can still have some fun.

sleeping bandit

: Thanks again for all your help.
: Who are you? A SPY!

:stare: Jesus Christ! Anyway, same death message for outside. So let's move on.

The staff in the back of the chamber is our goal. But we have to take a very specific route to get to it. If we walk right past the bandit, he wakes up and stabs Graham in the skull again.

The pole actually shows where it's safe to walk. Go around the outside edge and you can nab the staff in peace.

staff

: Taking care to be very quiet, Graham reaches out and takes the staff into his possession

Let's get the hell out of here.

Before we leave, be sure to grab some water from the urn.

urn

east x1, north x3

oasis

north x3, east x2

water

north

: The jeweled staff is obviously the work of an expert craftsman.
: The worn old shoe is cracked and dry from the desert sun.

temple door

: Open sesame!

: Oh no! The staff broke!

The two items we need to pick up are blindingly obvious. Sure, one's another single pixel, but it's a neon yellow pixel against a dark background. Also it glints. But let's pretend we're blinded by greed.

mountain of gold

The lesson here is don't be greedy. We have a chest full of infinite gold at home. Why would we need THIS treasure?

: Cheer up, Graham. At least you can practice your game of tiddlywinks!

So let's stop pretending we didn't see the coin and bottle on the ground.

coin
bottle

: Bending down, Graham hurriedly picks up the gold coin from the temple floor. Quickly, Graham also grabs the old brass bottle.

As soon as we have the two items, we need to hurry. The temple door closes fairly quickly.

: It is a shiny gold coin.
: This is an old, tarnished brass bottle.

Let's see if Graham is lucky twice in his life.

: Ah! Freedom at last! Now YOU spend the next five hundred years in that bottle!

: Graham should know better than to keep things bottled up inside.

That was bad and amazing. :allears: Anyway, that's enough for now.

NEXT TIME: We leave the desert

List of Points

+2 - Ahh! Life-giving water! Nectar of the gods! Graham can now feel strength and renewal flowing through him.
+2 - Stealing a dead man's shoes
+3 - Found the temple
+2 - Hid at the temple
+3 - Found bandit camp
+2 - The magic staff
+2 - Open SESAME
+2 - Gold coin
+2 - Brass bottle

Total

36/260

Register of Deaths

Failing to drink water in the desert