Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sage Grimm posted:

Lots of shade being thrown at KQ2 here. You mean throwing a bridle at a snake you find blocking your way on a mountain is not the epitome of puzzle games?!

Nah, the shade here is being thrown at the AGDI remake of KQ2, which added a lot of content, for better or for worse.

For me, though...my father actually managed (at my request) to walk Graham into the castle guarded by poisonous thorns without getting the appropriate item first. You thought that Space Quest scene was bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Erpy posted:

The nepotism apparantly got silly at times. I once heard that the djinni in Quest for Glory 2 was initially supposed to be trapped in a lamp, but the idea got axed because King's Quest 2 already had a djinn in a lamp, so they were forced to change it to a ring instead.

King's Quest 2 was released in 1987 (re-release to run under DOS) and Quest for Glory 2 was released in 1990, so that wouldn't be nepotism.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Not to mention King's Quest slap-dash fantasy kitchen sink is fairly open-ended where things can taken, while Quest for Glory - the Coles had a very definite plotline and story progression in mind.

...which is why Quest for Glory 3 was shoehorned into the plot line as a filler episode...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

There is no basis in objective reality for the solution to this puzzle. It's literally "try everything in your inventory on the viper until something works." Even better, there are multiple ways to solve the puzzle, but only one strictly "correct" way to do it. If you solve the puzzle the "obvious" way, then the game becomes nearly impossible to finish. I'll point out later where that happens.

Totally did this the obvious way as a child and, well, yeah.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Guess how we fared later on before that discovery? Yeah..

Doable but not worth the effort.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Erpy posted:

If you enter the castle entrance screen with sound on, you actually get to hear a brief PC Speaker version of Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

You can hear it - and then Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - starting at 18:19 of this video (spoilers if you keep going from there, obviously):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jjUaeG9YTw&t=1099s

Sadly, neither Thriller nor Toccata and Fugue in D Minor are present in the remake.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 6, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Alternatively, you can just play the AGD remake if you don't want to deal with the copy protection.

Do the infamous adventures one it's a straight port without any plot editing at all IIRC.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Bloops Crusts posted:

Last I heard was that Lori and Corey Cole were teaming up again to make a spiritual successor to Quest for Glory, is that still coming along? Not to derail the thread too much or anything.

In theory. The Coles' last Kickstarter update was June 13:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-adventure-role-playing-game/updates

The Himalaya one's last update was February 16 where they were supposedly casting / recasting voice actors:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure/updates

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Can you tell us why the combat in the QFG2 remake was so terrible?

Shut up - the combat in the remake is great!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

gegi posted:

i'm fairly sure i had one game that came on 8 or 12 5.25s and that was the last time they bothered doing them on those because it was getting too awkward for the boxes.

Quest for Glory I / Hero's Quest came on 10 5.25" floppies.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Bloops Crusts posted:

The pirate ship is basically the worst part of the game because it involves a lot of waiting and a bare minimum of doing anything.

I love this part...hey, now that you've figured out the solution is a spoiler, let's have it be a death if you do it 1 second too early!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

>stir brew with finger
>brew of storms churn it up

: It seems that your storm has backfired.

You didn't show off the other spell that totally backfires before Land Ho?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

grandalt posted:

Remember, old Manny is one of the most powerful magic users in these games.

...but can't taste cat hair when he eats it in porridge.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Glazius posted:

Can you even run away from them when they spawn, or is it a foregone conclusion?

The answer is "both." You can run away to the prior screen - and they always spawn on that screen - but it's a foregone conclusion.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

So is King's Quest IV peak Sierra Bullshit, or which King's Quest would you mark it at?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

V, hands down.

Amazing. I think I'm glad I only played II, III, IV, and VI back in the day. I'm replaying IV now and - even with a walkthrough - the number of times I have said "gently caress this game" is high.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The thing that gets me about the KQ4 "design" philosophy is that the solutions are often random.

Just in this update, fishing, avoiding the shark, and finding the whale are all total crapshoots. As a normal player, why would you keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

And for probably one person in the thread who didn't know, Hero's Quest is Quest for Glory, they later changed the name for copyright reasons.

1. Trademark.

2. That's the version I played. 10 separate 5.25" floppies.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Aces High posted:

only dragon we experience in that game is a drink that kills us when we drink it, FALSE ADVERTISING :argh:

That's clearly a Saurus Rex on the cover though, which you can certainly fight, so it's legit.

Applesnots posted:

I rented Quest for Glory 4 from a computer store that happened to rent PC games. Nine or ten 3 1/4 floppies that were immediately copied by my younger self. And the pizza codes. That place went out of business shortly after, I wonder why?

:goonsay: Nine 3 1/2" floppies.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Bloops Crusts posted:

The whale tongue is the most egregious thing about this game. That's something that presents itself as a puzzle, and so a person might go scouring Tamir for a grappling hook or something else to scale the tongue, never knowing the solution was just to slam their head against the wall a hundred times until they get the exact right pattern. That's baaaaad.

The cave is just as bad...keep doing the same thing until this time it works by RNG.

And the combination of both - whale tongue and cave - will lead you in the exact wrong way towards the shovel. Suddenly you're punished for trying something that doesn't work.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

I think the DOS version of Ys I was actually published by Broderbund. I seem to recall seeing flyers for it alongside/with the Carmen Sandiego games.

Seems right: http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/ancient-land-of-ys/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Bloops Crusts posted:

I thought you could ask for him to be your sponsor, and he would refuse you. Could be wrong though.

Ad Avis will refuse you.

"another QfG villain who was expelled" will accept you in the remake, leading to a death.

• Locked thread