Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Zeniel posted:

KQ7 and the firecracker

I think KQ7 got patched so when the firecracker blew up and you had to continue, the continue point was right where you were standing when it exploded. You just had to endure a couple screens' worth of "(walk cycle) (explosion) (Valanice says something stupid) (Try Again)" to get the firecracker where it needed to be.

Poil posted:

why would Sierra tie in-game stuff to your processor speed

It could be worse. Leisure Suit Larry 3 required Larry to do a set number of reps on four exercise machines at a gym. The number of reps was tied to your processor speed.

Back in 1989 or so, you only had to do 10, maybe 20 before the game said that was enough. Unfortunately for me, I didn't play this game in DOS in 1989.

I played it through the Windows ME Command Prompt in 2005. If I remember right, I think each exercise required 359 reps before Larry felt like he got enough done. That's 359 repetitions of "Tap NumPad8, wait for Larry's arms to stop, tap NumPad2, wait for Larry's arms to stop, tap NumPad8..."

For four exercise machines.

Oh, and any time the counter incremented past 255, there was a chance that SCI (the game engine used by Sierra's games starting with King's Quest IV) would crash. So I had to save every few reps.

Yeah. Let's just say that there's reasons I prefer Space Quest and Quest For Glory over Leisure Suit Larry, and Fat City was the big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Didn't Last Crusade have a sucker punch key that let you skip a fight, or am I thinking of Fate of Atlantis?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I told my sister the proper gibberish answer to the gnome's riddle. Her exact response was "How the *gently caress* were you supposed to know that!?"

Not surprisingly, this is about the point where she gave up on KQ1.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Nidoking posted:

Counterpoint: They attempted to work Connor into the story.

I actually liked Mask of Eternity. The "ending" sucked rear end, but I still liked the rest of the game.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Jabor posted:

let's swim to Daventry, what could go wrong

It's a Sierra game, I think we know what'll happen if Graham decides to swim all the way back to Daventry.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I think that's the first time I've ever seen the message about knocking on the church door.

Then again, "kill monk" was something I only found out about two years ago. I wonder if there's unique dialogue for trying to kill everyone/thing in Kolyma?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I didn't even know that was supposed to be Thriller until I heard the Tandy version.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

There will be a time in the not too distant future when a light source won't illuminate anything for poo poo.

I assure you that not being able to see four feet in front of you is NOT the worst part of that sequence, if we're thinking of the same four screens.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

KQ3 will be done with the original engine. After a taste of VGA for the first, it's nice to see the series advance back to that point. Also some jokes in later titles will not make sense if we don't see proper, non remake, context. :v:

Hey, if I beat KQ3 in glorious 16-color EGA, you can too!

Sage Grimm posted:

"You have to be closer" :v:

'Tis beyond your reach!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Kill everything in Kolyma. Valanice, Dracula (without the stake and mallet), Grandma, Little Red Riding Hood, King Neptune, everything.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
He had a miraculous recovery got better.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I consider Mask of Eternity to be KQ8; the in-game files actually call it KQ8!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I might be remembering this wrong, but I think the game gives you extra messages if the in-game sound is turned off when you look at Manannan's spellbook and when you screw up the copy protection.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I think you can change your walking speed to Fastest when you get the warning about being in the desert too long; if it's based on real-time instead of screens crossed, you might be safe getting out of the desert.

It's still a trap, but it's just a thought.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Can you tell us why the combat in the QFG2 remake was so terrible?

It... wasn't???

It was still better than QFG3's combat, anyway.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

mauman posted:

Yeah, QFG2 was the best of the stuff you guys made. I thought it was great. Always use the remake now when I do my annual QFG series playthroughs.

Do you play as a different class every year?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm pretty sure it's just one screen and the engine keeps track of how many screens west you've traveled. The sand dune might just be a sprite that shifts one pixel east/west every time Gwydion changes screens.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

KQ4's lone notable random instadeath

I'll hold off until you actually get to KQ4 on why I hate it, but why do I get the feeling I know exactly which four screens you mean?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

If you want a picture of hate and spite for this game, this is it. When the time comes, I'll cover exactly why.

Oh, no. The true picture of hatred and spite for King's Quest IV isn't this, but it's close.

I forgot all about the shovel till now, though.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Bloops Crusts posted:

The true picture of hatred and spite for King's Quest IV is a mostly-black screen

Four mostly black screens.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Huh. Never knew you could knock on the door and get Rosella killed that way.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
This was the bullshit I was alluding to throughout the thread. gently caress the troll cave.

To be fair, the AGI version of KQ4 gave you a larger light radius when you had to make your way through this little fun house. (It still didn't help.) I'm not entirely sure if there's a timer on the lantern or not in that version-- the video I saw of the AGI version brought up the message "It's beginning to get dark." after a few screens, but I'm not sure if that was a timer on the lantern or time progressing.

Also, if you stuck around on that island the whale spat you out onto, Rosella dies of exposure after a few minutes.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

I don't remember the exact number since it's been almost 30 years but yeah, these were AAA games by the standards of the 80s and cost something like $40-50.

Something like that; one of the random things Mark Crowe can say at the end of Space Quest III is "So, do you like the game so far? Was it worth $59.99?"

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Wasn't Thexder one of Game Arts' first games, and Sierra published it in the US? I know they published Thexder, Silpheed, Zeliard, and I think Ys I?

Bloops Crusts posted:

In defense of King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella

The whale tongue is stupid, as is the troll cave. But you're pretty much right; people kinda unjustly poo poo on KQ4 because of stuff like that. Meanwhile, the whole atmosphere of the game gets buried (to be fair, there's some more stuff involving the scarab we'll get to in a bit that's somewhere between "legit poor design" and "at least someone in Coarsegold planned for this.") under the complaints.

Besides, there's gonna be plenty of time to (sing the praises of, sling poo poo onto) KQ5 when we get there. =p

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
There was Mask of Eternity, which I will absolutely defend as a good game to this day. Just let's not talk about the ending.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Bloops Crusts posted:

Looking forward to peak bull poo poo yeti poo poo

Cedric: No, Graham! Don't!

Graham: AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *thud*

Narrator: Uh-oh! That last step was a doozy!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Ah, King's Quest V. My first King's Quest game. The narrator (Art Lewicki, who's done King's Quest V, and.... nothing else, apparently?) is a little dull at some points, but he does a pretty decent job.

For everyone complaining about Cedric's voice acting, I'm going to give a bit of prophecy and warning here: Cedric is not the worst voice acting in KQ5. You'll know it when you hear it.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The NES version has the death message for getting killed by the poiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisonous snake as the rather boring "Watch out for critters, Graham." A lot less fun than "That wasn't wise, Graham! He who speaks with forked tongue should never be trusted!"

If I remember right, I think there's at least one place in the game where the narrator talks directly to you instead of in the third person about Graham, and there's one place later where the narrator actually talks to Graham (Graham's way too busy to get into a Roger Wilco-style argument with him at that time, though.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
This is, I think, the one and only time the narrator actually talks to you, the player; if you wait around long enough (like five seconds; you seriously don't have a lot of time!) you get hurried along with a "helpful"

Hurry! The exit door is about to close!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Bloops Crusts posted:

Dead Man Walking in KQ6

If Alexander has everything he needs to survive the labyrinth, he says "I'm ready." Otherwise, the Winged Ones' queen tells him to prepare first before coming back.

Note that you only get that particular mercy once if you need it!

Bloops Crusts posted:

the gauntlet

There's a lot of reasons why King's Quest VI is the best in the series. The writing is, of course, the main reason (I can still call off the spellcasting chants from memory, 20+ years later) but the other biggest reason is using the spoilered inventory item when you're supposed to use it.

Among all my game manuals is my dad's photocopied LSL2 manual from the 80s, complete with the copy protection and entire strings of two-digit numbers in his handwriting. They're part of the solution for a puzzle that changes every time you start a new game.

I got stuck on the same puzzle. He found that interesting when I mentioned it to him.

Snorb fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 23, 2017

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

OAquinas posted:

The King's Quest timeline

I read somewhere that Graham's 38 in King's Quest V.

Nidoking posted:

Something I only recently realized - how and why did the crooks in the inn padlock the cellar door on the inside?

Well, uh...

: That wasn't wise, Nidoking. Logic and King's Quest V should never be combined!

Snorb fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 27, 2017

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
If Graham looks at the mountain in the middle, the narrator comments that "the shape of the mountain looks very familiar to Graham." (It's the Sierra logo.)

Also, Graham's death scream as he falls off the mountainside is hilariously over-the-top.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

EorayMel posted:

It's funnier if you imagine the narrator reading what happens to a child as a bedtime story, and everytime Graham falls to his (un)deserved demise, he screams at the child.

That's how KQ2015 handled it-- every time Graham died, we cut back to Old Man Graham and his granddaughter Gwendolyn, who calls him out along the lines of "That's not what really happened!"

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I am very curious who O and Lisa are.

tcrf.net thinks O is Oliver Brelsford, one of the game's programmers. No idea who Lisa is, though.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
This is the only part in KQ5 where the narrator talks to Graham directly.

yeti
The yeti!! Run, Graham!!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
My guess about the narrator not mentioning the hole in the boat is that it's a bug.

I'm still trying to figure out Graham's thought process behind "Mordack kidnapped my family and my castle, there is a boat here, let's explore this ocean Cedric and I know nothing about, let's definitely explore that massive island Cedric and I know jack about."

And not surprisingly, going for a swim in the ocean is invariably fatal.

Oh, no! The water is much too cold for swimming!
Help! Helppglub-
Say hello to Davy Jones, Graham!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I tried talking to the yeti once; all it does is have Graham ask "Uhh.... can we... talk??" very nervously. (Understandably so, considering... you know. Yeti.)

Robindaybird posted:

Cedric, gently caress off

Cedric was definitely intended to be a hint button, but all talking to him does is one of:
a) Directions you could have gotten simply by walking around.
b) "Cedric seems to be thinking big thoughts right now, perhaps planning their next move, and so is not inclined to talk to Graham at the moment."
c) Warning us about blatantly obvious poiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisonous snakes.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
If Graham moves far enough into the library, the eye above the door opens and tracks his movement. If Mordack's supposed to appear in his bedroom while the eye's open, he appears in the library to Force choke Graham out.

Also, there's no loving way Mordack couldn't see Graham from where they were standing.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

THAT puzzle from Blood of the Sacred Blood of the Damned

From what I've seen online, nobody at Sierra liked that puzzle; Roberta Williams left Sierra without telling anybody what she had intended for that sequence, and that was the first puzzle the team could come up with.

Snorb fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 25, 2017

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Well, we did it. King's Quest V is dead.

I'm guessing by everyone's portraits you're gonna be playing the Windows version of KQ6 instead of the DOS version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Crispin's wand would have been way more useful if we could actually do something with it during the game. It's like the rotting fish from Space Quest 6.

• Locked thread