Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Ah, King's Quest and the Sierra glory days. It's weird to me that the King's Quest got, I think, more installments than any of the other lines, when it was worse than Police Quest, miles below Space Quest and incomparable to Quest for Glory. I don't want to believe that they sold better than the good games did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
> PUT BRIDLE ON SNAKE

Jesus Christ.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That last .gif with the dark descent down the stairs is amazing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Is this one of those arguments like "Ultima 7 was the last true Ultima game" because they massively hosed up the plot? Or were they just kinda shittier than the average?

Okay, SO.

The rest of the KQ games are actual adventure games. KQ8/Mask of Eternity is instead a third-person "RPG" where you run around chopping things up with a sword and shooting arrows at other things, while very occasionally using items to solve puzzles or interacting with non-hostile characters. I also think it's one of the few cases where you play someone more or less totally unassociated with the royal house.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think 1, 2 and 3 are the only ones I never gave a shot myself(let's not get into which ones I actually finished...), so I'm eager to see the third.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I doubt the game even gives you a chance to react when the wizard warps in.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

In a previous KQ game, we'd probably have had to put a bridle on Medusa to get the maximum amount of points.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

For some reason I always thought thimbles had holes in them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Well, that's assuming the player realizes the bears CAN be leaving the house at all, and that they can be made to do so simply by leaving and re-entering the screen. If I was playing it, I'd probably just assume I needed something to get me inside or needed to do something on the screen to make them leave.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Gwydion's inventory seems a lot more mundane than most adventure game protagonists', no magic artifacts or the like, just mud and basic pantry contents.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So wait, the whale tongue... all we got was the bottle from that?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Leif. posted:

This loving game.

If anyone wants a game that mercilessly punishes anything less than perfect reflexes and coordination, they want to see this game. "Hope you can master transforming into a plane in a splitsecond to get through this gap!"

I really liked the CONCEPT, though. It was a fun IDEA for a game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

loving Cedric. I think it's close to ten or fifteen years since I last touched this game but I can still hear Cedric's voice in my head.

Someone bring the drill, I think I need some serious trepanning to fix this.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Maybe Cedric is secretly Mordack's familiar and Crispin's just too senile to remember it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, the barrel's way more unfair because it looks like straight up background decoration.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What baffles me most is why the bear appears to be wearing bright red lipstick.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

hyphz posted:

Or he's obviously enough of an RPG metagamer to know that mysteriously a bunch of stuff will happen on the way there that will result in him being fully prepared by the time he arrives?

Graham just has the big balls to believe he can handle anything.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

For some reason I figured we'd have needed the boot to prop open the door or risk instant death when we grabbed anything from inside.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

EorayMel posted:

If an old shoe can scare away a cat, why not use PAIR OF SHOES on VANDALS for more efficient problem solving?

Remake KQ5 in the Zeno Clash engine. Now there's your efficient, boot-based problem solving.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So how many goddamn dead man walking scenarios does this make so far? It feels like practically every inventory object has been missable, somehow.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What happens if you use the peas on the blue alien the first time he shows up? Do you just end up DMW'ing yourself because you now can't get the cheese?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The wizard duel at the end, if the icons hadn't been borderline-indecipherable, was about the only puzzle in the game I'd call "good."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Serifina posted:

That's pretty accurate. Ultima IX is still worse but Mask of Eternity is pretty god-awful.

It's honestly a very similar comparison. It's a main-line game, but somehow still a spin-off, that takes a relatively beloved classic and suddenly makes it an action platformer/combat game rather than the old gameplay people have come to expect. If I remember right they even look and play relatively similar, with the main difference that KQ8 doesn't poo poo on established canon like Ultima IX does and it doesn't require a team of dedicated software engineers to play it for longer than five minutes without crashing. It's less of a buggy piece of poo poo, is what I'm suggesting.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's adorable that half the pawn shop dialogue is devoted to making fun of infuriating things in the previous games.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dense Forests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Thanks for the LP! You covered the games I'd never gotten to experience much myself.

• Locked thread