Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Let's think up some ways to make this section better! Maybe have the time based on what you do instead of a RNG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

Erpy posted:

It's not RNG-based. Just time-based. If you look at the magic map while on the ship, you'll see the ocean with Llewdor in the top-left corner and Daventry in the bottom-right. There'll also be an indicator of the ship and as time passes the ship slowly moves towards the destination. And yes, it takes a long while. I suppose the designers wanted to emulate the feel of a long journey, in which they succeeded. That does nothing to take away the frustration. King's Quest III is a game where waiting around for stuff to happen is part and parcel of the whole thing, but they kind of went overboard (pun not intended) with the ship section.

The issue with making time pass based on events is hard to imagine since there's nothing to DO on the ship. (aside from escaping the hold, taking the shovel and reclaiming your things) I figure this is one section the development team never had much ideas for or no time to implement them. Definitely filler stuff.

When the AGD Interactive remake was made, this was one section everyone was sure was not gonna be replicated 1:1. The remake eliminated the waiting around in the Llewdor part of the game by making it possible to use the bed in Gwydion's room to skip time until the wizard's next appearance. For the ship sequence, there was still the issue of there being practically nothing to do on the ship, but the screenplay the writer came up with had a small Treasure Island scenario added to the voyage and exploring the ship a bit eventually triggered a cutscene where the pirates discussed the buried treasure and went ashore sending you to brave the perils of the Island to retrieve it. Afterwards, the pirates had you do a few chores similar to what Manannan had you do to pass time and after doing those the time would skip to the point where the coast of Daventry came in sight and you were expected to escape.

Yeah that's the stuff. Maybe make it so instead of just throwing you in the hold you have to swab the decks and tie some rope or something? Or make it like in Monkey Island where you make a sleeping potion in the cauldron and wake up off the island coast? Or how about another pirate ship attacks and you have to use a spell to drive them off and the captain of your ship is helpful after that?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

Is Rosella the first female video game protagonist?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

Psion posted:

Here's the problem, though. They stayed in business those five years, and more besides. King's Quest was huge; it was an enormous pillar in the PC gaming world back then. These were very successful titles. They were successful despite being what we look back now and say "what the gently caress" levels of difficult. The PC gaming market was just different back in the day, and I'm not saying that as some sort of "get off my lawn" poo poo. I'm not saying better, just different. Stuff like this wasn't "crimes of game design," if nothing else because it succeeded in making Sierra a lot of money.

game design, much like the market, changed since. I think we'd both agree it changed for the better, but there's still a vocal minority of people who've complained for the last 20 years that games are too easy now, it's not like you should be unfamiliar with the market that drove KQ to success, especially when you consider the context of when they were released. :shrug:

:same:

I remember loving the KQ series when I was a kid, but replaying them a few months ago was more of an exercise in frustration than anything. But replaying the Space Quest and Quest for Glory series has been actually fun.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

In KQ7 doesn't Edgar somehow show up again out of the blue?

Also is Lolotte related to the fan fic antagonist from the KQ1, KQ2, and KG3 AGD reimaginings? Or did the fairy just use Rosella to take out her rival?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

Luckily nowadays video games just have micro-transactions and DLC to keep the business end up and running

• Locked thread