Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh c'mon the graham cracker pun is golden. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Lots of shade being thrown at KQ2 here. You mean throwing a bridle at a snake you find blocking your way on a mountain is not the epitome of puzzle games?!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That was how my parents did that section of the game too. And then my brother and I did the same thing because we had watched them do it that way. Loads of saving and reloading, in both directions! There was usually a save just after reaching the door and then another on the way back to Charon when we got sick and tired of doing it manually.

It was only when I was messing around a year later that I found that it wasn't the intended way! :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Shame they didn't have the death by giant go something like

FEET FLY, GO THUMP
I SMELL THE BLOOD OF AN ENGLISH MAN (said mun)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Were the shortcut keys in the original release of the game? I could have sworn you had to type "swim" every time.

The 2.1 version definitely had it, which was technically the second release on the AGI2 engine. The original needed to be in your disc drive and then rebooted to play, running off the AGI1 engine that might not have had the keys. I don't know, I only remember the single floppy on DOS along with others that my dad stored in old plastic baby wipe boxes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

No bad death puns? Boo. :mad:

We'll just have to compensate with even worse puns.

"A quick dip in a sickly pond left you pickled."

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

"Swimming with the fishes only gets you sunk, Graham."

I never picked up on the sapphire/diamond thing when I was playing this as a kid.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Being :smug: to Poseidon
"Shocked through the heart and who's to blame? You give kings a bad name, Graham."

Give the trident away to the mermaid
"It's not much of a fetch quest if you give it away to the first fetching young lass you meet."

Falling off the cliff (which WASN'T SHOWN <:mad:>)
"You're just another clod at the base of this cliff, King Graham."

Oh and for the wolf, if you're just dicking around like my siblings and I did years back, you can move around the table to the space next to the windows while the wolf is hanging around in the bed. The movement of the wolf is erratic and random, so with a little luck you can get there and watch him "dance" around the place before the RNG decides it wants King Graham dead.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 1, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, that puzzle is the one my parents never figured out on their own. It took my brothers and I playing this game over and over again and then randomly stumbling on the solution because well what's this bridle for in the first place?

Guess how we fared later on before that discovery? Yeah..

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

There's almost no chance anyone could get out of this screen in the pitch black, with only Graham's eyes to guide them.

I...uh, did this back when my family didn't own many games. And I think I even knew how to light the candle by that point. Kids do the darndest things? :shrug:

To be fair, my siblings and I made up stories while playing Mixed Up Mother Goose for the umpteenth time too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

>put bridle on wolf

edit:

>put bridle on dracula

"You have to be closer" :v:

I don't think that was mentioned during the snake but you have to be juuust out of range of its reach for that command to work properly. At least it tells you you're on the right track!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Getting a wedding invitation is strong magic. After all, you need to invite a vampire in before he can enter a building!

As for his coming back, I guess the monk piped some Dark Age Revival music down into the castle's basement?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

HardDiskD posted:

I thought that you had to collect all the sapphire treasures and hand them over to Valanice at the end, or you would get a bad ending because you didn't have them all.

She might remark on them if you GIVE them TO her, but it has been decades since I played this last and I might be conflating with another adventure game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Epicmissingno posted:

Will you be using that cat hair to make a fake moustache?

drat IT I was going to make that joke. <:mad:>

Anyway, this is a game that I didn't play in my youth. Or ever, actually. I did read an earlier LP on it though, during University.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Prism posted:

IIRC it doesn't (though I could be misremembering, it's been a while), but you can definitely walk into a room when he's already there if he's not out on a trip. Sometimes he takes a nap in his room.

Shame there's no magic marker to go with the magic wand.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

In a previous KQ game, we'd probably have had to marry Medusa to get the maximum amount of points.

FTFY

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

gegi posted:

now, in a game where you have ways of making more money, they're more willing to let you waste it.

Even if said method is tedious and painfully random (Space Quest II). I've heard of the supposed method to rig the slot machine but I've never got the item or it didn't work or something.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nidoking posted:

That's Space Quest I, and there's an item that does it in the VGA remake. In the original, there's a cheat code you have to type.

Right, sorry. When I was a kid we had the floppies for Kings Quest II and Space Quest I (and III). Brain fart, mixed the numbers. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Aces High posted:

as in legit floppies? The things you played Oregon Trail on :v:

The only legit floppy set (like the big 5.25" ones) I used with any regularity back then was for installing Wing Commander (and maybe 2). The earliest Sierra games came on what looked like official single 3.5" "hard" floppies though Space Quest III had three. I say looked like because my dad and his friend knew how to get around the BBS's that were basically the Internet of the time and I did get illegal copies of some games backed up onto a standard floppy from him.

By the time I played Oregon Trail it was the CD version. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

gegi posted:

i'm fairly sure i had one game that came on 8 or 12 5.25s and that was the last time they bothered doing them on those because it was getting too awkward for the boxes.

That was the Wing Commander games for us. Installations were basically "Insert disc 1 of XX" and then hoping it would read or hitting [R] repeatedly at the Abort, Retry, Fail dialog. 5.25 floppies weren't the best format for grubby little kids. :)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I'm betting that's accurate to how many floppies you would need to install it from that media, though. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Or "listening to weird witches that totally have your best interests in mind"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You called its bluff and suffered the consequences! :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Why, yes, hello! :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Comstar posted:

I thought Ogre's liked Onions.

No no no, easily confused, they are like Onions because both of them have layers and..
:goonsay:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

What the gently caress is that nonsense. I double-checked some walkthroughs to see if there wasn't some gotcha the majority of players were missing and no, you are meant to save/reload your way through the dark caves with a troll in them. Twice. How was that acceptable after they already explored death mazes to death in the earlier Quest games?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Bloops Crusts posted:

Looking forward to peak bull poo poo yeti poo poo

It's going to be a hoot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And yeti..

Maybe the bumbling walk was supposed to remind you of the 3 stooges?

• Locked thread