Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I've got a question about KQ3, when you use the storm on the dragon can you get crushed by it's corpse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I also started on V (sadly it was the 16 color floppy version), it is the peak of walking dead and guide-dang-it puzzle design

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

If you had to dig at least you would have found a shovel first as a clue.

Hey, wait a second...

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The whole cave felt like a section that was trimmed for disk space reasons with the lantern made worthless to hide the scene.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

In the original version Cedric wasn't really a problem, the issue came up once the CD version with it's... interesting... take on voice acting came along. To say more will have to wait for us to get to the game.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The issue with the airsick bag was that 'bag' was being interpreted by the parser as a verb instead of a noun. Still really unforgivable that's it's a key component of the final puzzle of the game and there's no point in the game where you would use bag as a verb...

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Prism posted:

An easter egg. You'll see it.

Depends, what version is being played?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I first played this one with the 16 color floppy version, it looked like crap (at least it was better than the nes version) but I managed to dodge the voice 'acting'.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Do you plan on covering the walking dead situations or the copy protection? I ask was we have just passed the first cases both could come up.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

whitehelm posted:

The stick and boot are interchangeable (maybe not after the dog appears), so you could've triggered it earlier if you wanted to.

Only half interchangeable, both work on the dog but the stick only works on it.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

hyphz posted:

So throwing the boot at the dog is DWM?

Yes

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I dont know posted:

Roberta Williams is some form of demon that draws sustenance from player's tears and rage.

I've seen worse but not from a developer more than 3 games under their belt.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I'll see if my old EGA disks work and attempt to grab some screenshots of the copy protection prompts.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Also note, the cat/rat event is a ONE-TIME* occurrence that can be triggered anytime you pass through this screen.

*in every version but the NES one, there the event will retrigger until you solve it, making this VASTLY less painful.

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 26, 2017

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The genie/witch puzzle actually isn't that bad. Almost every player would have opened the bottle and it's not out of line for the witch to think Graham was trying to buy his freedom.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As a matter of game design philosophy, many people feel that puzzle games should be beatable through careful thought and observation, without ever reaching a failure state. The problem with the genie is that it means the game requires the player to die at least once (or use spoilers) in a given playthrough to learn what the genie does, i.e. failure is not only expected but mandatory.

One way this could have been solved: let Graham eavesdrop on the bandits at their camp, where they trade stories about their adventures and mention how long the lamp has been there with nobody daring to open it. Give the player a subtle hint that "hey, maybe it's not a great idea to do this." That's all it takes to turn a stupid puzzle into a good (or at least acceptable) one.

But in general, the sheer resistance to logic that these games have is the primary reason they're so awful from a design perspective.

https://youtu.be/tDYn6a6pbZY
Remember that this is early 90's Sierra, the player is expecting to die around every corner.
The design philosophy you speak of is a much more recent idea, looking back I'm surprised they even had the scene with the bandits opening the cave.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The whole 'use hammer on lock' bit would make perfect sense if it wasn't a padlock, even knocking out the hinges would make more sense.

The meat is also not visible unless you open the cupboard. Adventure game logic might lead one to think that the inn existed just to give you the rope making the pie the only obvious food item (in theory you could get here with the rotting fish but I doubt you can eat it).

The death due to lack of cloak happens right there because they didn't want to make a 2nd animation for the rope climb (the original version was big enough for 6 disks as is)

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

It's a puzzle that only makes the barest of sense in retrospect and desperation, the idea of throwing whatever you've got at the thing in an attempt to slow it down and getting a lucky shot.

The crystal was a true nightmare in 16 colors. Looking at any of the crystals tells you there is one that stands out, but it blends into the unusable background crystals perfectly and absolutely nothing even hints at the correct location. On a side note, the first several times I played I had no clue the cave even went farther than the opening where you 'fight' the yeti.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The time is about 10-15 seconds, a bit more if your computer is below 'required' spec.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

Man, I don't want to know how that old rotting fish is going to come in handy.

I've played this game to death but I can't remember what it's for. I don't think it's puzzle is strictly mandatory.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

He does at least one useful thing for you, hence why not getting him patched up after the harpies is DMW.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

correct thing for mordack to do: "hey i'll deal with that vizier for you, but i want one date"

wrong thing for mordack to do: "i'm kidnapping you and now you're my scullery maid"

completely wrong thing for mordack to do: "i'm going to make this unrelated castle small and put it in a bottle"

To be fair Mordack stealing the castle is completely unrelated his unfortunate method of picking up chicks. That's trying to force Alexander to uncat his brother.

We can't go into anything involving the vizier until KQ6.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Remember that selling hint books was a major part of their business model, if the puzzles were 'reasonable' (by common logic of the time) then they would have a much harder time getting players to buy them.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I understand the logic behind that puzzle but the methods and items used would need changes for it to make sense.

The logic behind adding the moustache to the passport is to add a salient feature that will get the clerk's attention so he won't notice the rest of the face doesn't match.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Then you add that feature to your own face. It's the part of the puzzle that needs the most rework.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

It does not 'require' full points but there are very few to spare. I tended to skip doing the peas and therefore bagging the cat.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Who's to say Mordack didn't make a trip to get one of those magical essence of gym fruits like Graham was given, or he could just be stealing youth from random captives like a proper evil wizard.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

A much better ending would be if they had Graham cast a couple spells like Alexander did in 3, it would add some real use/explanation to a pile of semi random items you could have gotten in Mordack's castle (or throughout the game if they needed to add some BS to sell hintbooks.)

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Keeping a save just after completing the voice actor's tie in should set you up to cover the 2nd path, once you start going the long way the short one is closed off to you.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

i think you should do the short path then reload to do the long path, because that will let you play more kings quest 6, which is a good game

No, doing the short path first would spoil a good chunk of the long path's ending. Better to do the long path while keeping a save to cover the short ending in a bonus update.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Alexander worked from the 'magick of olde', Crispin might be working from something newer.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

grandalt posted:

I'm guessing Alexander didn't listen much to Graham when they got back to normal size. She did say that Abdul and Mordack were friends. Through it would have been interesting if Cassima had agreed to marry Mordack, because then there would likely be a showdown between those two villains.

Abdul couldn't care less if Mordack married Cassima, her being out of the way works just as well for his purposes. He just wants to rule and her return wrecks that, marrying her is his only option to stay in power.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Would you prefer Alexander's lantern not even being strong enough to light the ground like a different lantern we've already seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Same. Time to buy and play KQVI I suppose

If you are going to buy anything from this series that's the one.

• Locked thread