Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I always thought Graham was his last name. Theodore Graham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Very cool LP. I remember my dad and I played this game, I think I was five years old and he had an 8086 for work that we used to play games and dial into BBSs. We got stuck on "the puzzle" until a guy from his office told us what the answer was. It was like a secret handshake only computer nerds in the 80s knew. Anyway thanks for this, DoubleNegative. Makes me want to play the good ones (3-6).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FisheyStix posted:

What is a Graham?

A miserable little pile of death puns.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I love how after that bullshit bridlesnake puzzle, the screen with the actual key has no boss, puzzle, or even anything else of interest. Solving it is the true spirit of KQ, which is: get as much inventory filler as possible, get stumped on a puzzle, and savescum using every possible item in every possible way until you solve it.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Was this not the standard SOP in any adventure game from the early 80's to the late 90's? Which incidentally helped drive nails into the genre's own coffin.

When you're a kid with too much free time on you hands the trial and error method really didn't seem to bother me too much though I doubt present day me would be so patient. We should just count ourselves lucky that the puzzles are still as simple as adding item A with item B and getting outcome C instead of some of the truly insane solutions we get to look forward to. Things that make articles like this stay relevant 17 years later..

Haha holy poo poo, cat-stache is literally insane

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

That cat is dangerous. I'm not lion!

:golfclap:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Zeniel posted:

That just reminds me of this, which is very fitting.

That image reveals my inner :spergin: because it should be XLVIII.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

This loving screen... I remember playing this game back in the day. Getting past the snowman was annoying enough but then immediately dumping you in this poo poo sandwich is just plain mean. I'll take the pirate ship waiting game over this unnecessary bullshit any day.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

gegi posted:

Funnily my greatest hatred of a tricky climbing segment in King's Quest comes from a screen that can't actually kill the character... but might kill the player out of sheer frustration.

Whale. Tongue.

At least on this cliff sequence you can see what you're supposed to do and see why you screwed up if something goes wrong.

Not to mention the game sticks a time limit on that screen IIRC.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Rosella and Alexander flailing their arms about uselessly always cracks me up.

This LP has been great, looking forward to KQ IV!

I'm already humming the dwarf house sweeping/cleaning music!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

:stonk: Close up portraits are not King's Quest IV's strength. Good lord.

It's like someone verbally described a human face to an alien that had never seen one before, and then the alien had to recreate it with MSPaint.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

This right here is the "what the gently caress" moment. That little hint wasn't in the original, AGI, version of this game. Indeed, you had to use your psychic powers to guess that there were two items hidden on this screen.

Hahaha holy poo poo, I only played this version with the hint and thought your ire was only directed at the whale tongue. That's pretty hosed up, even for Sierra adventure games.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

When I played this game as a kid I never experimented much with using other stuff on Lolette. I wonder if you can just axe her in the face.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

Technical difficulties the entire night. ScummVM, it turns out, doesn't like Sierra VGA titles. It straight up skips entire audio clips completely at random. I also had far more trouble than I should have with capturing the game at my desired resolution instead of being upscaled to my monitor's native.

I had a third of the game recorded and had to scrap all of it because of the first issue.

:negative: :negative:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

That's my name! :v:

:thejoke: :)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

This game was bad but I gave it a pass in my youth because it was just so beautiful. The art, music, everything looked and felt really advanced for the time. Around the time I was playing this, my other favorite game was the original Final Fantasy on the NES, and there's a pretty stark difference in the technology there. (Of course I didn't know that FFI was already three years old at the time.)

So yes, I loved this game because it was pretty. And the bullshit puzzles... well... those were nothing a quick call to the Sierra hint line couldn't fix! :shepicide:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Man, Cedric is pretty racist but the game itself is worse. The Arab totally some different fantasy civilization's group of men is pretty nefarious, but also their genie thirsts for murder. Thanks, Roberta.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As a matter of game design philosophy, many people feel that puzzle games should be beatable through careful thought and observation, without ever reaching a failure state. The problem with the genie is that it means the game requires the player to die at least once (or use spoilers) in a given playthrough to learn what the genie does, i.e. failure is not only expected but mandatory.

One way this could have been solved: let Graham eavesdrop on the bandits at their camp, where they trade stories about their adventures and mention how long the lamp has been there with nobody daring to open it. Give the player a subtle hint that "hey, maybe it's not a great idea to do this." That's all it takes to turn a stupid puzzle into a good (or at least acceptable) one.

But in general, the sheer resistance to logic that these games have is the primary reason they're so awful from a design perspective.

I'm sorry but if I hear bandits talking about a bottle no one has the stones to open, I'm going to open it. It's the Stimpy Effect.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Love the Elsa pic for Icebella. Also that Easter Egg is something.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Of course you hit the yeti in the face with the pie! It is the height of comedy! It's basically the "throw shoe at cat" bit again but much, much funnier!

:shepicide:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

A weird blue alien creature that abducts us and tosses us in an oubliette.

Watching this game unfold for the first time in years, my only thoughts are, "Yeah okay Sierra. That's a thing that should happen."

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Glazius posted:

Really it's just a matter of bylaws. Can't keep your evil wizard's guild card if you don't visit calamity on some do-gooder once a year.

I read the words "guild" and "calamity" and now my headcanon is Mordack speaks with the voice and flourish of Phantom Limb.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

Here we can see the machine activating its blinkenlights features.

I see that machine and my mind goes right to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WemnsB98o

Anyway thanks for plodding through this beautiful yet maddening game! KQVI was my favorite so I’m looking forward to your take on it.

JOLLO!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

It's adorable that half the pawn shop dialogue is devoted to making fun of infuriating things in the previous games.

My thoughts exactly. I like how most of them are about KQV.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DOS portraits forever! I thought the ones being used in the LP looked weird, couldn't put it together until the comparison shot.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Classical mythology!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

That’s a lot of posts with the CIA highlighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Double "stew" pun there. Meh. The only way KQVI is inferior is the frequency of hilarious deaths and associated puns.

• Locked thread