Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Although I never played it, I know Sierra released a lesser known adventure game called Gold Rush or something like that. It's probably got the single worst bullshit death out of everything they ever produced. You see you're character could just die of typhoid or some similar disease I'm not sure. But it would just randomly happen and be completely unavoidable. I have no idea what was going through their heads when they decided to do that.

^^^^ Oh no, you can absolutely end up in an unwinnable state for the very reason that you mentioned. KQ7 is the only one in the series I never finished(apart from 8 which I've only played the demo of), the reason being I got really far into the game and ended up with some lit dynamite in my inventory that would kill me and then the game would just reset with the lit dynamite still in my inventory, utter garbage.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I never really got the appeal of Kings Quest. I only ever played it decades later when either my dad or my brother bought some collectors edition of it that contained a pamphlet full of self congratulatory bullshit like people weeping at the music and plot of kings quest 4. Like Sierra made some fantastic games, the Space Quest series for all its faults is still quite funny and charming, Conquests of the Longbow is so good I'm surprised no one has made an lp of it, Quest for Glory is fantastic too. Like Sierra games have always had their flaws, but its kind of their signature.

Kings Quest though, I dunno, everything is just so bland maybe it just leaned too hard into fairy tales for me, it really does seem like a game meant for kids.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Not to mention the reason Lucasarts games are devoid of things like RNG deaths and lose states was that it was apart of the design philosophy Ron Gilbert constructed in response to adventure games of the previous decade.
I don't think deaths are all that terrible in adventure games so long as they are avoidable in some consistent way. Plus I just love how in old Sierra games how they would reward you with a death screen for persistently doing obviously stupid things. Lose states are pretty terrible though, doubly so when they involve events happening long after the fact.

Also, you can totally die in Monkey Island, properly too, not in a fake out kind of way. Guybrush can only hold his breath for 10 minutes.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I gotta admit Sierra may have had their flaws but their pun game was always on point. Tea with Erasmus in Quest for Glory is truth to that.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Josh Mandel seems like a pretty good sport, like when Slowbeef got him to tell Cedric to gently caress off.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Tiggum posted:

When/where did this happen?

Took a while to find, but here it is.

Right here!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The death message is not quite as snappy as "As always you've been a real pant load." that you got for dying in Space Quest 3.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Hmm the constant wall hanging punishments makes me wonder if its time dependent, maybe he does different punishments only occur on different days perhaps?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
That just reminds me of this, which is very fitting.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV_3ohvNgK8&t=1748s

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
You can tell Genesta is a good guy because she has the good graces to put bannisters on her stairs.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Don't forget Bonzi Buddy, who did all of that and MORE!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

: Ooooh t was the powerful and evil wizard Mordack who did it. Ooooh I just happened to be visiting with an oooold friend when I saw him materialize out of thin air. Thank goodness he didn't notice ME!
: Well don't stop now, go on!

Graham is gonna regret not telling Cedric to never open his mouth ever again.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
So much of the riveting dialogue in this game reads like something from a stock English phrase book.

"Hello"

"Hello"

"My what a delicious pie."

"Yes, my family will enjoy the pie"

"Goodbye"

"Goodbye"

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Haha Jesus christ! Has Cedric actually done anything helpful throughout this entire adventure? All he does is give his useless opinion on a situation, whine, complain and gets himself routinely kidnapped. Is he there to teach players the virtue of patience?

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Haha no wonder this game's the better one of the whole series, based on the items in that pawn shop they might well have actually paid attention to what the hell they were doing.

• Locked thread