Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Man, this game brings back some memories.

I remember playing this in black/green colors with my 5 inch floppies.

Now I feel old. :corsair:

Also, someone mentioned Gold Rush. I actually found that to be the easiest of the old bullshit sierra games ASSUMING YOU WENT THROUGH THE PANAMA CANAL. I could never beat the game going around the Cape or via wagon train specifically because of what you mentioned (random diseases didn't happen on the Canal route). Outside of those routes you could take, Gold Rush is shockingly easy compared to other Sierra games.

Nowadays, the only sierra games I'll replay are Quest for Glory games, they were the perfect combination of sierra bullshit and fun.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Gnoman posted:

Even the earliest SCUMM games had nothing close to Sierra's bullshit. There are very few ways to die in Maniac Mansion, they all take place instantly, and always require you to do something fairly stupid. There are a few ways (besides getting one or two of the kids killed) to put you in a walking dead state, but those were mostly accident that Lucasarts made an extreme effort to stamp out in later titles.

Indy 3 on the other hand, had TONS of bullshit ways to die.

Though all is forgiven since any game that let's you punch hitler is a 10/10 for me even if that got you killed

Also, as far as RNG goes, Indy 3 had a few really insidious ones.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whybird posted:

My memory of Indy 3's deaths was that they were all pretty fair. Certainly nothing on the scale of what King's Quest was pulling. Rose tinted specs again?

Does the randomized nature of the final puzzle (that you can only find an answer about 5-6 hours back, which you probably won't) ring a bell?

Or the fighting mini-game for that matter.

Now, I'll admit that any and all bullshit in Indy 3 might not compare to the worst Quest games, but for a LucasArts game it could be pretty darn mean.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 10, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

klafbang posted:

Most of the indy3 fights cold be avoided (some you could sneak past, some you could bribe, some you could bluff your way past “I’m selling these fine leather jackets”).

Maybe if you knew EXACTLY what you were doing. The first time you're probably going to go through those fights (a lot including the reloads). And even on multiple playthroughs you're going to run into supposedly avoidable fights.

I've beaten Indy 3 enough times that I could probably avoid a fair amount of the fights, but even my memory isn't good enough to avoid all of the castle fights for instance (which outfit do I wear again, what dialogue do I use again, do I need an item - OOPS wrong choice fist to the face), and good luck avoiding the fights in the blimp*, those jerks literally home in on you.

*Yes, I'm aware you can skip the blimp, most players would not realize this though. And even players that do realize might not like doing it since it's surprisingly annoying to get the plane moving

So in theory, yeah sure, but in practice I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

Funnily enough, the game also punishes you for doing the smartest solution a fair amount of times. For instance, it's possible to skip going to Berlin, but that's actually a really really bad thing to do.

But the whole "solution to the final puzzle is in a very hard to reach locked room in Castle Brunwald that you'll most likely have no idea it's even there despite the hints the game gives you and you'll most likely have to skip it since you'll get caught and have to escape only to get to the end of the game and have to pray to whatever dark god you worship to pick the right cup" is a dick move worthy of Sierra grade respect.

For the record, I happen to love Indy 3 (I've beaten it like 5 times and it's one of those games I come back to every 5 or so years), so don't think I'm trying to rag on it or anything. The fact that there are multiple solutions is actually pretty neat, and I usually find something new every time I play the game. I just happen to think it has some fairly mean stuff going for it.

P.S. you can put Indy 3 into an unwinnable state at least once, and I don't mean an obvious unwinnable state. I'd like to say twice, but I can only name the one time off the top of my head. Another classic normally-Sierra gently caress You.

mauman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 10, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I wonder if you're going to do the 2nd fan-remake.

I have extremely mixed feelings about it. Some of the changes feel down-right weird.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

Nope. The AGDI remake of 2 is bad and I don't like it.

Also...

https://lparchive.org/Kings-Quest-I/

My other LP plans fell through for reasons related to E3 week. So I'm moving up the timetable on the rest of this silly series. What does that mean?

Next week I'm moving on to KQ2. Then 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 after. So watch this space, 'cause we ain't done yet.

I understand and agree a fair bit.

What they did with the vampire stuff was really effing stupid. Among other things.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Oh man....

The bridge....

That's bringing back some baaaaaaad memories.

:negative:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Anime Reference posted:

If you played KQ1 you already know killing stuff is always the wrong puzzle solution.

This is EXACTLY why my brother and I figured out this puzzle.

We realized that killing the snake was too obvious and goes against the grain of KQ games (based on our experience with KQ1), so we tried non-obvious solutions and quickly found the right item.

That bridge though....I will never forgive or try to rationalize that one....I have a high tolerance for bullshit in games, but even I have standards.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 5, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Pretty much everything about that whole section came off as a twilight fan-fic to me.

In other words....really really cringe worthy.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bloops Crusts posted:

I never read/watched Twilight and barely know the first thing about it. So in my blissful ignorance, I think werewolves and vampires can be cool. (Also, the VGA remake came out in 2002. I don't think Twilight came out until several years after that. There isn't any connection there.)

I'm aware there is no correlation, but it was still loving terrible. I suppose I should have used the word 'like' in my description to make that more obvious. But you're right, they were ahead of their time when it came to terrible vampire writing. Also, the whole religious thing seemed like they were trying to make a point of some such....and failed so badly that I can't begin to fathom what the hell they were thinking.

Also, nothing wrong with werewolves and vampires....just depends on the writing and it's terrible.

the KQ3 remake at least allowed you to still murderize the monster they tried to (badly) make sympathetic and only had a few references to their "overarching plot". Otherwise, the plot was mostly intact.

Speaking of KQ3 though, if we're going there I recommend the Infamous Adventures remake. They wisely kept the original plot entirely intact, and from what I recall it was very well done.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

KQ3 will be done with the original engine. After a taste of VGA for the first, it's nice to see the series advance back to that point. Also some jokes in later titles will not make sense if we don't see proper, non remake, context. :v:

Gotcha...that also works.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

where the red fern gropes posted:

if you walk onto a certain screen - which is coincidentally between you and a place you need to be - before you're ready instead of going around it, you become a dead man walking

the game does not tell you this

On the other hand, 4 had some really good things going for it.

I wouldn't call it the worst kq

That title belongs to 8

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

KQ3 is a cool game.

Also the first KQ game I beat on my own, the other two were my brother and me (mostly my brother considering he's older, but Gawddangit I helped)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

ulmont posted:

Do the infamous adventures one it's a straight port without any plot editing at all IIRC.

THIS.

I'm not going to say that the AGD remake is as bad as the 2 remake, but they still added things that didn't need to be added (and they didn't add them well).

If you don't want to play the original that is.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 21, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

OAquinas posted:

That's a hell of a lot better than "Surprise--random desert medusa!"

It was better than what they did with Drac in the KQ2 remake at least.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 22, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

He shows up briefly, he's not that important to the story though (which is good).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Erpy posted:

I can list design decisions that went into it, but explaining why it was "so terrible" is kinda tough since what's terrible for one person is fun for another...YMMV and all that.

Yeah, QFG2 was the best of the stuff you guys made. I thought it was great. Always use the remake now when I do my annual QFG series playthroughs.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Snorb posted:

Do you play as a different class every year?

multi-class. I try to do everything every run.

my (near) everything progression is:

Thief > Fighter (change class at start) > fighter to paladin in three > Paladin to the end and do whatever class stuff I feel like.

I have done the class specific stuff not capable with this progression however (paladin in two, thief/mage specific stuff in 3, Marrying Katrina/getting the magic staff in 5).

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 23, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

gegi posted:

as i recall some versions of the earliest sierra games came with both 5.25 and 3.5 floppies in them, or at least with the option to get the bigger ones. i'm fairly sure i had one game that came on 8 or 12 5.25s and that was the last time they bothered doing them on those because it was getting too awkward for the boxes.

This is indeed true. My (or me and my brother's) copies came exactly like this.

And we played them on a Tandy :corsair:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Delvio posted:

I can handle witches, wizards, and snakes turning into horses, but it is completely unrealistic to describe porridge as "Its aroma wafts up to, and tantalizes, your nose."

They do know it is just plain old oatmeal, right?

But it's juuuuuuuust right.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

A fair amount of people complained that this game had nothing to do Daventry and Co.

Then the game came out and people promptly shut the hell up about it :smug:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Also doesn't Graham have a magic mirror that could have told him exactly where his son had been taken and by whom?

Evil wizard blocks spells. Just ask the magic map.

And they did look for him.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

The teleport stone is useful for bypassing one obstacle beyond the ship.

Pretty sure you won't get full points though if you do that.

Not that I cared when I was a kid :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

You know, I totally forgot about the whole "wait on the boat" bullshit bit.

I still consider this one of the better KQs, but that's definitely bad design.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bloops Crusts posted:

Whale tongue is total crap and the fact that it's paired with golden bridle might make that the most bullshit part of the entire series.

I remember that KQ4 didn't have as much bullshit as normal in the series, but what bullshit it DID have was serious loving bullshit.

On the other hand, most of what I remember about KQ4 scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I remember Police Quest 2 being particularly bad in the closeup portrait department.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bloops Crusts posted:

The true picture of hatred and spite for King's Quest IV is a mostly-black screen

:shepface:

I'm....not feeling good all of a sudden.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

ulmont posted:

So is King's Quest IV peak Sierra Bullshit, or which King's Quest would you mark it at?

I think 5 is the king.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bregor posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo, I only played this version with the hint and thought your ire was only directed at the whale tongue. That's pretty hosed up, even for Sierra adventure games.

Yeah, I was unaware of the difference as well since I had the hint version, so this part never bothered me.

Well, the whale tongue was pain, but it was a surmountable pain (for me at least).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

EorayMel posted:

Oh dear, imagine being a little kid playing this without a guide or exact appreciation of where and where not to walk :stonk:

I did it.

:shepicide:

Bad memories man....baaaaaaaad memories

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

As it was a pain in the rear end to turn a computer on and off back then, we'd leave the comp on for hours while we did our chores and whatnot.

So yeah, we got to see the zombie deaths.

It's also possible to avoid the house zombie going in. It's impossible to avoid it going out though (at least to my knowledge) so there's another dead (wo)man walking :downsrim: scenario.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Honestly, I can't WAIT for the 5 thrashing.

1-4 (and 7 for that matter) I have legit good memories of, even if I realize they have problems.

5 I have nothing but spite for.

Thankfully 6 makes up for that in spades.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yeeesssssss....

YES!!!!!

Share the CEDRIC pain, in every terrible detail!!

SHARE IT!!

:getin:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

someone awful. posted:

i'm the only person in the known universe who doesn't hate cedric's voice acting

i admit this openly; it is my burden to bear :( :hf: :cedric:

Nah, I don't hate his voice acting either really. I mean, I know it's not good but I have a fairly high tolerance. If anything I find it to be so-bad-it's-funny rather than anything else.

I do find amusement on how other's hate his voice though.

No, I hate him because he Will most of the time not give you warnings till AFTER you're hosed

Also, a :cedric: emote?

Oh yes :getin:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

grandalt posted:

Graham's fit him perfectly to my mind.

Graham's voice was pretty good considering the guy is a programmer.

I was glad that he was cool enough to reprise the voice for the fan-remakes.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

That got me thinking... are there any complete fan-remakes out there apart from the lovely AGDI ones? I saw a bunch of KQ4 remakes that started but died quickly, which was a shame.

Speaking of KQ4, I know that AGDI didn't remake because it wasn't financially viable, but I would have gladly paid for it if they had been allowed to do so. Please note that I am aware that they cannot sell an IP someone else owns for profit.

There is, in fact, still a KQ4 remake in the works by UnicornTales.

They were still putting out updates as of July this year, so I wouldn't call it dead yet, but I wouldn't hold your breath on it being done anytime soon.

Also, CrystalShard put out a remake of KQ3 before AGDI did, and many people regard it to be better since (while it doesn't look as pretty as AGDI's) didn't futz with the story all that much.

Outside of that I can't think of any other KQ remakes.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 12, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bloops Crusts posted:

You know what's funny? I had that exact same thought reading through this update, and It's the first time it ever occurred to me.

A wizard dunit? :downs:

Yeah, I'm a little confused by it as well. And kinda shocked I never noticed this logic blunder before.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

raifield posted:

"You find yourself without a leg to stand on. Better get hopping, Hero"

Read it in John Rhys-Davies's QFG4 voice, it might be funnier somehow.

Man....compared to this game QFG4 had amazing VO work. Actually, it had amazing VO work period, with the exception of the fortune teller and that was because she had multiple VOs for some odd reason (one which was great, the other is very much not).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

It did, even if the 3 random guys in the bar did go off-script80% of the time (though they were funny breaks). I suspect the fortune teller's voice switch is because they realized they needed to record more lines and the good VA wasn't available and didn't have the time to wait for her to be available.

Man I loved those guys. They were a hoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Welp, the worst is over (well, 8 aside).

Time for the high point.

7's not too bad either.

• Locked thread