Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Thanks for showing off the game,
By the way is there voice acting in the VGA version? After seeing an LP of King's Quest V long ago I can't help but hear the narrator lines in the voice of the KQ5 narrator..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

where the red fern gropes posted:

how is king graham going to take his bride back across the bridge

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It'd be hilarious if the only way back across the bridge was to get a ride from the pegasus, so if you killed the snake then you'd just be stranded there at the end of the game.

I just woke up so I read this as "how is king graham going to take his bridle back across the bridge"

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Chuu posted:

What is LP in this context?

King's Quest III was originally distributed on vinyl records

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

EorayMel posted:

Graham: AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *thud*
Narrator: Thank you for playing King's Quest Five.

I loved seeing this in another LP.
I used to make intentionally bad games for a laugh where you would inexplicably die from stepping in the wrong place and I am pretty sure I used this exact message for it without having seen it used in a real game.
It's good to know one of the "AAA" developers of its day was thinking the same thought with their flagship series.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
So this is the only King's Quest game I ever played, though not very far past this point.
My parents picked up the CD version from a bargain bin for $5 or so around 1993-4, I grew up with the Mac and our concept of adventure games was defined by stuff like Myst so the whole affair felt kind of strange and primitive already by then. (In spite of the game having some very nice hand-painted backgrounds in hindsight.)
At a young and impressionable age my brother and I bounced pretty hard off of the beginning section of the game with Cedric talking so much in his annoying voice and the annoying town music, and never really bothering with the rest of the game. But I fondly recall that we would have a laugh every so often doing bad Cedric voices acting out some really poorly remembered version of the opening cutscene.
I'm not really a fan of the Sierra tradition of adventure games in general, and given the reputation the game seems to have here in the thread and seeing some of the silly bullshit deaths in the Retsupurae (?) playthrough, I'm not sure how much I am missing here.
The only other Sierra game we played was Castle of Dr. Brain, which we loved, possibly since it was an edutainment game and didn't come from the "try the old inventory, something's gotta work" school of puzzle design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

hyphz posted:

Wow, I had no idea about the copy protection either, and it looks blatantly hacked in.

"Graham's energy has suddenly run out!" WTF

Sounds more like a setup for some awful F2P version

• Locked thread