Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Great little LP! I have a lot of fondness for the King's Quest games, and for all of the AGDI remakes as well. I remember playing these games as a kid in the 90's, and being soooo excited when I found out there was someone out there who cared enough to bring them up to VGA standard. To this day, they still feel magical to me, and I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
It's been 10 or 15 years since the last time I played King's Quest II.

It was always my least favorite in the series, since it was basically a retread of King's Quest I without any plot to speak of.

I think it's interesting, though, just how good this game looks. It's so bright and colorful, it practically oozes charm... It actually blows my mind that these kinds of graphics are in style again after all these years. I'm not displeased about it though.

As an aside, I helped beta test King's Quest II VGA by AGDI. There are a lot of things about that version of the game that I liked. I'm not as down on it as some of the folks in this thread are.

Bit off topic, but the one thing I really disliked about it happened right about here.

That game expands the narrative considerably to explain *why* Red Riding Hood's grandmother happened to have Dracula's cape and ring. Turns out in his previous life, the vampire was a good and noble human count, not to mention a family man. But the local monastic order (of werewolves) didn't like him because he advocated for the separation of church and state... So they sicced a vampire bat on him to do him in. I didn't care much for dragging hot-button terminology like "separation of church and state" into the game, but other than that, I thought it was a pretty clever twist. Vampires versus werewolves was a neat angle to expand the complexity of the narrative, and it all tied in quite nicely with the wolf from the Red Riding Hood myth.

Unfortunately, AGDI really screwed the pooch. The plot developed further with the Count rushing off to bite Red Riding Hood, his own granddaughter, in order to turn *her* into a vampire... in order to grant her immortality and keep her safe from the werewolves, I guess? It didn't make a lot of sense. The *really* uncomfortable thing was that after Red Riding Hood got turned into a vampire for no reason, AGDI decided she needed to get aged-up, also for no reason... from an eight-year-old girl into a voluptuous adult woman... with a smoking hot body... and *very* generous breasts... The whole idea of that happening to a little girl was disturbing to me, and the gratuitousness of it really weirded me out.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Also...

DoubleNegative posted:

The candle projects its light rather well, doesn't it? Don't get used to it. There will be a time in the not too distant future when a light source won't illuminate anything for poo poo.

He's not trolling. :smuggo:

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

mauman posted:

Pretty much everything about that whole section came off as a twilight fan-fic to me.

In other words....really really cringe worthy.

I never read/watched Twilight and barely know the first thing about it. So in my blissful ignorance, I think werewolves and vampires can be cool. (Also, the VGA remake came out in 2002. I don't think Twilight came out until several years after that. There isn't any connection there.)

Respectfully, I'm still in awe of AGDI and what they did for those games. They were passionate about the series, they put together a small team of artists and writers and musicians and programmers who were happy to work for free, they made a good pitch to Vivendi Universal's lawyers that allowed them to evade the cease and desist, they put out a finished product that was polished and didn't have any of the moon logic and dead ends the adventure game genre is infamous for, they even went the extra mile and put out a speech pack for it (which mostly sucked, but still!) ...Yeah, I just don't get any joy out of mocking them. King's Quest II EGA is a game without characters or a story. Anything they did to paint in the blanks was going to be "fanficcy," and they had to do something.

I have more of an issue with some of the liberties they took with their King's Quest III VGA remake. Because that game actually *did* have a story -- it's the second-most beloved game in the entire series after KQ6 for a lot of people, including me -- and they injected their plot contrivances right into it. Didn't like that.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It'd be hilarious if the only way back across the bridge was to get a ride from the pegasus, so if you killed the snake then you'd just be stranded there at the end of the game.

Don't worry, there's two other winged horses in the King's Quest series that can stand in

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

where the red fern gropes posted:

i remember kings quest 3 as being really excellent so i am looking forward to seeing your playthrough of that

at least i think it was 3? the numbers all tend to blur together, hopefully my glasses aren't too rose-tinted

It was a really well-done adventure game in the pre-LucasArts era, even though literally half of it was typing copy protection into the text parser. It was also the first King's Quest game to really have a story, and for the time it was made in and the capabilities of the engine, the story was really, really good.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I really love KQ4. It's probably my favorite after KQ6 and KQ3. Better than KQ5 and KQ7. Not sure what it is about it... It has such a unique feel.

mauman posted:

On the other hand, 4 had some really good things going for it.

I wouldn't call it the worst kq

That title belongs to 8

Personally, I don't even consider Mask of Eternity to be the eighth King's Quest game, given it wasn't numbered and seems much more like a side title -- i.e., equivalent to Battlespire and Redguard, side titles to the Elder Scrolls main series. If I had to rate it alongside the other games, though, I don't think I would place it at the bottom... It's better than KQ2. KQ2 is the worst game in the series, IMO. A barren retread of KQ1 with nothing innovative on offer, other than the Batmobile.

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 12, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Leif. posted:

However my all time favorite game of the genre/era was Space Quest V.

I love SQ5. Definitely the high point of the Space Quest series. There are others who say it's SQ3 or SQ4. I look at them funny.

I think Nidoking is doing a LP of that game right now btw.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Small correction.

Trying to escape the house, being caught in a forbidden room, not feeding the wizard when he demands it -- these things *won't* get you killed.

They'll get you punished. With one of four (amusing) punishments, which I hope you'll show off.

The only thing that will get you killed is if Manannan catches you with a forbidden item. Or, if you screw up too many times -- but the game gives you a lot of rope before it hangs you.

I think if you take too long, and the timer gets high enough, the wizard will also kill you. (The manual makes a point that the wizard kills all of his slaves when they turn eighteen, and Gwydion is seventeen, fast approaching his eighteenth birthday. So there's some urgency to your quest, even though the game doesn't telegraph it well.)

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

whitehelm posted:

Not quite right. You get punished the FIRST time he catches you outside the house area, but after that he'll kill you for it.

Nope! I just brought up the game and checked for myself.

(I feel like an old man waving my cane in the air, arguing over checkers.)

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

MagusofStars posted:

What happens if you just screw around for a while after he gives you a chore? gently caress you, I'm not cleaning a chicken coop.

You get punished, of course.

Thankfully you don't have to clean up after the chickens, only feed them.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
KQ3 is a pretty fair game all around. About the only tricky thing is learning Manannan's schedule. The puzzles aren't bad. There isn't any moon logic. There aren't even many ways to get caught walking dead, unlike other games in the series. (*cough KQ5 cough*) Well... Let me rephrase. There are ways to get caught walking dead in KQ3, but they're all blatantly obvious and clearly telegraphed by the game and the manual, so if you screw up it's pretty much on you.

There's a reason why KQ3 is usually looked on as the second-best game in the series. On top of everything else in its favor, it's debatably got the best story in the King's Quest series too. Not exactly a high bar, given the era these games came out in, but KQ3 is clever in a way none of the other games are.

btw, sup Erpy.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I am fond of it too. I grew up playing all of the King's Quest games in the mid-90s, so it's hard for me to hate any of them, or even the genre as a whole. (I'm actually really glad to see adventure is enjoying a mini-renaissance right now.)

I have a special place in my heart for cough, it's kind of got a Dagger of Amon Ra so-cheesy-it's-good thing going on, lots of moments of unintentional hilarity. But even when I played it for the first time in 1995, a seven-year-old kid who didn't know poo poo about game design and actually liked the loving owl, I could tell it was pretty bad compared to some of the other games in the collection... so I tended to gravitate towards those other games. Even games like KQ3, which were older than I was and looked like total poo poo, but were actually way better.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Your luck with the punishments was about average. You missed the lamest one, but you also missed the funnest one.

Shame you got stuck hanging upside down all those times though.

The game does allow you to enter inputs when Manannan appears, but you can't kill him because "he's too powerful for you."

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Snugglecakes posted:

So what kind of backstory does Medusa have in the remake? I assume there was a remake?

It's hard for me to recall. I didn't play the Infamous Adventures remake, and I only played the AGDI/Tierra remake once.

I think Medusa was one of the major story changes AGDI made... Since she's sort of "dropped into" the original 1986 game without a lot of reason for being there, randomly, in a desert, AGDI fleshed it out a little more. I want to say they placed her in a cave instead of in the desert. And instead of being THE Medusa, she was a human girl who was bewitched and transformed into a gorgon, possibly by Manannan. Naturally the way you uncursed her was by putting a golden bridle on her. jk I dont remember

But yeah Medusa was one of about two big changes AGDI made to the game, the other being the loving pirates

Erpy can probably tell you more, he was part of the team over at AGDI that worked on KQ1 VGA, KQ2 VGA, KQ3 VGA, and Quest for Glory 2 VGA. Speaking of which, how's things going, Erpy? Is the team still together over at Himalaya Studios? Last I heard was that Lori and Corey Cole were teaming up again to make a spiritual successor to Quest for Glory, is that still coming along? Not to derail the thread too much or anything.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

mauman posted:

It was better than what they did with Drac in the KQ2 remake at least.

Erpy posted:

the writer had a bit of an anagram fetish

Count Dracula? That's Count Caldaur to you, buddy!

Another thing AGDI's KQ2 and KQ3 remakes did was they invented a new character to serve as an arch-villain, whose nefarious deeds would tie every one of the first seven games together.

Serious spoiler this time, don't look if you don't want to know: This was something a later game, KQ6, had hinted at way back in 1992, but the series was canned before the concept could ever be explored. So AGDI took up the challenge and wrote said arch-villain into existence, tying him in with the witch Hagatha and Count Caldaur, and the wizard Manannan, and later the wizard Mordack.

If I have one complaint about him, I think they were a bit too "on the nose" with his presentation. He was extremely tropey, not particularly nuanced, and his motivations and backstory might have strayed a bit far from established canon for my liking. But he wasn't all bad. I can't remember if he appears in KQ3 VGA, but he's prominently in KQ2 VGA, and a few of the segments he features in, especially the Cloud Spirit's trials to obtain the Air Stone, were very good -- at least I thought so. It's worth watching a YouTube video to see, although perhaps not until after DoubleNegative finishes KQ3, because that segment also contains spoilers for this game. (Continuities are confusing.)

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 22, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Seyser Koze posted:

Does he hunt you down and kill you at 30, or do you not find out until you eventually go back home?

Nah he'll show up anywhere you are in the world and getcha. Doesn't matter if you're at the bar, on a ship, or in the desert.

Lucas Archer posted:

If the bears aren't leaving when you enter the screen with their house, is the door locked? Or do they just kick you out if you try to go inside? I'm trying to figure out the logic behind the timer in this game if there a events with an RNG that can gently caress you over that much.

Papa Bear answers the door, says "SCRAM! We don't want any!" and kicks you one screen south. There's a dizzy "seeing stars" animation, and then you stand up and resume play.

The logic behind the RNG is KQ3 was made in 1986 when none of the books on how to do game design had been written yet, and the programmers were blazing trails, trying cool new things for the very first time and learning as they went. In retrospect, the most sensible thing would be if the game defaulted to the bears leaving the house the first time you entered the screen. In practice, it isn't a deal, and it doesn't really gently caress you over. It takes all of half a second to hit the left arrow to leave the screen, followed by the right arrow to re-enter it. It's not going to cost you all that much time.

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 24, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Aces High posted:

....wait, Gwydion is actually Graham's son? That seems kind of out of the blue

You actually learn this from the hens, birds, and chipmunks around Llewdor after you've completed the Understanding the Language of Creatures spell and have got the dough in your ears. They animals will gossip about "that poor human boy over there" and how Manannan kidnapped him from his cradle as a baby. Wasn't shown off in this update though.

Prism posted:

It is not possible to leave Llewdor with Manannan alive, and the timer the Oracle gives is to get out of Llewdor (not beat the game).

I'm 99% sure it's possible to leave Llewdor with Manannan non-felinized. Good luck completing the rest of the game though. In fact, come to think of it, waiting out Manannan's journey/nap timer might very well be the reason why the loving pirate segment takes so god drat long.

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 30, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Makes me smile to see there are *still* people who are taken aback by the plot twist in this game 30 years later. Believe it or not, there were lots and lots of King's Quest fans who were really attached to King Graham and Daventry back in 1986, and more than one of them flipped a lid when they heard this game was going to star some random slave-boy in a completely different country. "It's not even a KING'S quest anymore!" they said.

The plot twist is why I said, this game's story is clever in a way none of the other games are. KQ6 is up there too.

Tiggum posted:

Also doesn't Graham have a magic mirror that could have told him exactly where his son had been taken and by whom?

;)

Randalor posted:

Is that something exclusive to the original version? The version DoubleNegative LPed didn't say anything about that, and I've never been a big fan of playing Sierra adventure games. Love following LPs of them, but I never had patience for the BS they pull on the player.

He was playing a different version of the game than the 1983 PCjr release.

In the 1983 original, you could get the treasures in any order. ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA. Didn't matter.

The only things you needed to get the shield with maximum points were the cheese (to get past the rat), the fiddle (to get past the leprechauns), and the mushroom (to get out). Well, you got the cheese by just walking in and out of the witch's house and raiding her cupboards along the way. You got the fiddle by trading a bowl you found in the middle of nowhere. And the mushroom was right there for the taking. So there's not any item you picked up in the process of getting the mirror or chest which you actually *needed* to complete the quest for the shield. You could get it first, if you wanted.

In fact, there was a glitch in the original game that even allowed you to *walk* across the river over to the island with the island with the leprechaun hole. There was a one-pixel-high line running along the bottom of the screen which *looked* like river, but hadn't been *programmed* to act like river, and worked functionally the same as land. So you could even bypass the condor if you wanted, though it was an exploit.

Once you had the shield, all of the other enemies that populated the game world would no longer be a threat to you. On certain screens in the original game, you had a chance of encountering ogres, wolves, the dwarf, and of course the witch... None of them would be able to hurt you anymore after you had the shield, because it "protects the bearer from all mortal harm." I don't remember if the shield worked on the giant too. But the one thing it didn't work on was the dragon. Its fire would always melt the shield, and then kill you. Fair enough, I think. Dragons are powerful magical creatures, and who's the say the shield wasn't forged in dragon's fire in the first place? You can invent any number of fantasy explanations as to why.

In the remakes, they removed all possibility of getting the shield first by fixing the exploit and disabling the condor spawn until after you already had the chest and mirror. So the shield would always be the last thing you collected before you headed back to Castle Daventry in time to see King Edward croak.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Nidoking posted:

One correction: The witch still kills you if you have the shield, because she just picks you up and dump you in a cell. The dwarf is also still a threat, because he can steal any of the Three Treasures. I did a video years ago with the main purpose of trying out the shield in every situation, just to see how things like that would work.

Thanks. =) That stupid dwarf!

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Bar Crow posted:

Even worst they are going to put an adventure game protagonist in a locked room without his inventory. The fewer the options the faster he'll escape.

Can verify the solution to getting out doesn't involve a newspaper, a key, OR a keyhole

My memory is that if you haven't dealt with Manannan by this point, he will definitely show up on the ship to kill you. (He'll teleport into the ship's hold, which we'll see next update.)

The teleportation stone is mostly useless since the magic map fulfills basically the same purpose only better, but it can be a fun way to troll the pirates and kill time on the ship. It's best used for getting out of dangerous situations (aka when an enemy is about to reach you.)

The pirate ship is basically the worst part of the game because it involves a lot of waiting and a bare minimum of doing anything.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

raminasi posted:

If you waste your half an hour and the pirates leave without you, does the game actually tell you that you're done? Or do you just wander around in limbo forever?

It lets you wander in limbo until you walk out onto the pier, one screen east from the town. Then will game over with message along the lines of, "You get a sinking feeling as you realize you missed the boat. Better luck next time."

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
...Is it RNG based? If it is I never knew it before. I always thought it was on an invisible clock, same length of time every game.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Also, I believe if you jump overboard, you can still rub the stone to teleport back onto the ship.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Xander77 posted:

Hey, you know what they say:

Save early.

Save often.

Save in different slots.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of the trouble you're having with these games is simply due to not saving enough. As somebody who cut my teeth on these games as a kid, (plus Daggerfall, which crashed roughly every 0.5 seconds,) my natural instinct is just to hit save all the time. First thing I would have done after hearing "Land ho!" would've been to save, because why even take the risk going up the ladder when you could easily fall?

gegi posted:

Funnily my greatest hatred of a tricky climbing segment in King's Quest comes from a screen that can't actually kill the character... but might kill the player out of sheer frustration.

Whale. Tongue.

At least on this cliff sequence you can see what you're supposed to do and see why you screwed up if something goes wrong.

Whale tongue is total crap and the fact that it's paired with golden bridle might make that the most bullshit part of the entire series.

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 6, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Manannan has to poop in a box for the rest of his life, feel sorry for him

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Outpost22 posted:

Is Rosella the first female video game protagonist?

She's one of the first. I think she might be the first female video game protagonist to be featured prominently. (Say what you want about Samus, but nobody knew what her sex was until they beat the game, or even if she was human and not a robot -- and the final reveal at the end was more fansevice-y than anything else.)

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Snorb posted:

Oh, no. The true picture of hatred and spite for King's Quest IV isn't this, but it's close.

The true picture of hatred and spite for King's Quest IV is a mostly-black screen

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
You can talk to the Seven Dwarfs at the table. A few times, I think. It's just idle chit-chat, but you don't have to eat in silence.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Deathwind posted:

I've got a question about KQ3, when you use the storm on the dragon can you get crushed by it's corpse?

I'm pretty sure they box off the area in the immediate vicinity of the three-headed dragon so you can't set foot in it... Therefore, no, I don't believe so.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
KQ4 rivals KQ5 in bullshit, for sure. Say what you want about KQ5, it didn't have a loving whale tongue, or an invisible bridle.

I actually like KQ4 a lot better than KQ5 though. It feels like a more cohesive game with a more unified tone, and it's got a kind of creepy vibe going on that I really love, which none of the other games does.

KQ6 doesn't have as much bullshit, but it does have a few walking dead scenarios. Missing the handkerchief or the Styx water come to mind. KQ6 is probably the best game in the King's Quest series though, probably the best game Sierra ever made, and (in my book, at least) one of the best games of all time. KQ7 technically has zero walking dead situations I can think of, but it ranks on the lower end of the series for most people.

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 18, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I had an aunt who owned this game. She got stuck on the whale. Couldn't figure out how to climb the tongue and just stopped playing.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Count me in the camp that thinks people give these games too much crap.

The whale tongue is the most egregious thing about this game. That's something that presents itself as a puzzle, and so a person might go scouring Tamir for a grappling hook or something else to scale the tongue, never knowing the solution was just to slam their head against the wall a hundred times until they get the exact right pattern. That's baaaaad.

This? This is the best part of the game. What's unspoken by the let's player is how creepy the manor is. The first time you peek into the nursery and see the crib tipping back and forth while Rock-a-Bye Baby plays spookily over the Roland, it can be legit unnerving.

Forgive me, I'm going be a little critical here. It's exasperating to see the music, atmosphere, level of innovation, historical context compared to other games in 1988, etc., all go glossed over in favor of savaging the game. Yeah, the shovel's stupid. But emphasizing totally minor, nitpicky stuff like "The zombies should just stop spawning once you have the scarab because having to hit enter whenever one reaches me tests my patience" is just over-exaggerating something that's only debatably a flaw. It's really not a big deal.

Don't get me wrong, KQ4 has it's fair share of bullshit, but it's tiresome when so many King's Quest LPs drift into IGN "Sonic was never good" territory. Consumer tastes and theories about game design have changed since 1988... They're changing all the time. Skyrim players trash Morrowind because it didn't have fast travel. Modern WoW players trash vanilla WoW because the endgame was too exclusive. This isn't so very different.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Looking forward to peak bull poo poo yeti poo poo

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

raifield posted:

W.I.T wouldn't have put up with Mordack's nonsense, just another way in which Quest for Glory is the superior adventure.

But King's Quest V was my introduction to the series as well. It just appeared on the hard drive one day in 1990 and a seven-year old had no chance against it. Fortunately, this was before it was voice-acted, but I never got any farther than finding the first town, which I think is two screens away from where you start. Cover art be damned, this was not an adventure for children.

Didn't they put up with Ad Avis?

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

my impression is Ad Avis that he wasn't part of WIT (and that he only tipped his hand relatively recently), unlike another QfG villain who not only was expelled but requesting their sponsorship in the remake causes the Hero to get teleported into a situation where he can't survive.

I thought you could ask for him to be your sponsor, and he would refuse you. Could be wrong though.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Also,

Nidoking posted:

I still prefer this one to II, marginally. II was pretty much "hastily churned-out sequel that didn't understand the appeal of the original enough to supplement it or stand out in its own right" before that became an adventure game standard. As much as people tend to complain about certain puzzles in V, I maintain that they're all more sensible than bridle-snake, and the sheer ridiculousness of "there are just three doors in this screen that you have to open in order, and reading them makes random things happen that get you the keys" is beyond almost anything else in the series, at least until we get to VII. I'm not going to argue that V isn't pretty bad in a lot of ways, but I think "worst by a wide margin" is a gross exaggeration.

I also don't think it's possible to complete this game with fewer than the full 260 points. If it is, I'll be interested to see how.

I agree. KQ5 is better than KQ2.

KQ6 and KQ3 are the best, with KQ1, KQ4, and KQ7 rounding out the middle of the pack. (I rank KQ4 pretty closely behind KQ3, and I've got a soft spot for KQ7.)

KQ2 and KQ5 are the worst of the series, in my opinion. But KQ5 has virtues to its merit: fantastic artwork, a decent soundtrack, and a plot that advances the overall storyline of the series and dovetails wonderfully into KQ6.

(You can say a lot of things about the King's Quest series, but one thing you can't fault it on is the cohesiveness of its overall story. Each game builds on the narrative foundations laid down by the previous games and moves the plot forward in a coherent way. KQ1 establishes Graham, Daventry, and critical plot devices such as the Magic Mirror. KQ3 establishes Alexander, Rosella, and the wizard Manannan. KQ4 establishes Edgar and the fae (fairies).

In this context, KQ5 is all-important, because it cements the narrative throughline from the earliest games in the series to the later games. It doesn't fail in that task, either. Furthermore, not only is it the glue that connects the back-end of the franchise with the front-end, it also plants its own seeds and lays the foundations for KQ6 -- and it does it exceptionally well. For all the shortcomings of its game design and puzzles, the series would be worse off without it.

KQ2, on the other hand, has no such merits. It's a weak, cookie-cutter sequel that's utterly forgettable in every respect, has very little connection to the overall storyline, and has some atrocious puzzles in its own right. That makes it the worst, at least in my book.)

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 13, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, the barrel's way more unfair

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
A lot of KQ5's weaknesses with DMW situations harken back to its story. Previous games gave you one land to wander around in. Daventry, Kolyma, Llewdor, Tamir. KQ5, the setup is you're only in Serenia briefly to "gather supplies," and then you're off on a grand adventure through the mountains, across the ocean, to the Canyon of the Crescent Moon, to the temple where the cup that holds the blood of Jesus Christ resides forever.

Because you're constantly moving forward, and the path back is constantly being closed off to you, it's very easy to forget to pick up an item in an earlier area and only realize later on that you need it, and you've been walking dead ever since you left.

Future games would fix this... KQ6 would return to form by giving you free run of almost the entire game world like the earlier games did, though I think it dies have a couple DMW scenarios... forgetting to get the gauntlet, the River Styx water, or the handkerchief from the lady ghost all come to mind, or the items you need to conquer the Labyrinth, or the coins prior to visiting the Land of the Dead. KQ7 I don't think has any DMW situations at all. Come to think of it, I don't think SQ6 does either... They might have learned from their mistakes by the time Sierra reached the end of their run. Unfortunately those games stunk too for different reasons.

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
King's Quest VI isn't just my favorite game in the series, for me it's my favorite game of all time, and has been since the first time I played it as a little boy

Snorb posted:

There's a lot of reasons why King's Quest VI is the best in the series. The writing is, of course, the main reason (I can still call off the spellcasting chants from memory, 20+ years later)

Magic paint, black as ink
Bring to life what I think
Make it real, what I draw
According to this spoken VZJEEEEOW

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 24, 2017

• Locked thread