Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've never played KQ2 and even I know exactly what you mean with the bridge. This game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm sure on release it took people longer than 95 seconds or whatever to solve the puzzle and the timer let them do that. Okay, sure, but not having an event trigger based on being ready to leave is a problem for any repeat then or now.

but then KQ3 involves a lot of "and then you wait" so it was presumably intentional. Maybe related to how they coded event triggers based on the clock - and here they just ended up being overly generous on time given vs puzzles to solve.

It's just weird that after having so much to do so quickly with the wizard, suddenly it's "take a 15 minute nap"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ulmont posted:

So is King's Quest IV peak Sierra Bullshit, or which King's Quest would you mark it at?

All of them have some peak Sierra bullshit, it's a matter of which one has the most.

(it's V)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I don't think anyone should be surprised by that, not after three previous KQ games :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

KQ1 came out in '83 and KQ4 came out in '88. That's five years to think about what you're doing and what you're trying to accomplish here. It's not that they didn't understand how to design videogames. This poo poo was intentional.

Moreover, it was intentional despite feedback from people that played the game! I can guarantee you people sent letters to Sierra complaining about the bridlesnake, or the waiting for the pirates, or that bridge in KQ2. So they committed these crimes of game design fully cognizant that people didn't like what they were doing, I guess out of some misguided idea that game design was like sadomasochism?

Here's the problem, though. They stayed in business those five years, and more besides. King's Quest was huge; it was an enormous pillar in the PC gaming world back then. These were very successful titles. They were successful despite being what we look back now and say "what the gently caress" levels of difficult. The PC gaming market was just different back in the day, and I'm not saying that as some sort of "get off my lawn" poo poo. I'm not saying better, just different. Stuff like this wasn't "crimes of game design," if nothing else because it succeeded in making Sierra a lot of money.

game design, much like the market, changed since. I think we'd both agree it changed for the better, but there's still a vocal minority of people who've complained for the last 20 years that games are too easy now, it's not like you should be unfamiliar with the market that drove KQ to success, especially when you consider the context of when they were released. :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You can see in the intro that magical fruit does good work or Graham's been doing a lot of upper body days since recovering.

Cedric is loving awful and really, I think we'd all be fine if you didn't transcribe every single one of his stupid elongated vowels, but if you feel it's necessary I guess nobody can stop you :shepface:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The magic fruit put him back on his game, obviously. Mental health is just as important as physical health!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

There's also the internet. Hints and walkthroughs are seconds away for free. the 900 number was really an artifact of the time in more ways than one.

just for fun I went and looked up some old reviews of KQ5 and several of them praise the game's puzzles as 'not that difficult' and how it's a really great entry into the genre. Time changes perspective, alright.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

hyphz posted:

I think we need to appreciate Sir Greywolf’s imaginative name and inspired voice acting.

if he's Sir Greywolf, who's the other, identical wolf?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nah, once you notice the glint picking it up isn't hard. The problem is the time limit on noticing it and grabbing it before the eagle saves you (or the roc eats you) ... which, if KQ5 is your first adventure game, I could see being a real problem. It helps that here, unlike the town, the background isn't such a visual mess that you might lose it. A bright gold speck against a dark brown nest is pretty good contrast, plus it's placed right by Graham's hand.

the DMW it gives you, though, is pretty rude. That can't be overstated - you have a lot of bullshit to redo if you miss this one. And it's not communicated - at all, I believe - why you just got yourself into a DMW. Only your finely tuned adventure game senses of "I missed something and must go back and click on literally everything" will save you.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nidoking posted:

It was all a lesson for children. When you have a choice between meat and dessert, you need to eat your meat. How can you have any custard pie if you don't eat your meat?

I mean the no-fun answer is that it was accepted game design strategy back then, but I really have to wonder if this wasn't intentionally part of it. Was there a moral lesson in here? Hmmm.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yeah! Those stupid things aren't good for anything!

:golfclap:

I always like a good username/post joke

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Comstar posted:

I can now only see the Narrator as Ambassador Udina constantly yelling at Alexander for causing a political shitstorm.

drat it SHEP--ALEXANDER, the council won't like this

yeah, checks out

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Anime Reference posted:

Rosella settles a fairy turf war while searching for magical HGH for her ailing dad.

the biggest disappointment of V is that Graham did not just punch Mordack's magic forms to win

punching a ring of fire so hard it goes out, seems fine to me?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Those are all boring, go swimming instead. I'm sure the water's fine and has definitely calmed down after that incident on the beach.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Heh, look who won the vote on what to do next :smugdog:

Psion posted:

Those are all boring, go swimming instead. I'm sure the water's fine and has definitely calmed down after that incident on the beach.

I certainly haven't played this game enough to memorize it, no

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Bregor posted:

That’s a lot of posts with the CIA highlighter.

Bloops Crusts posted:

hold my beer

:v:

But, going back to this for a minute:

MagusofStars posted:

If they don’t know how many islands exist, are they really part of the kingdom? I mean, technically it’s within our vaguely defined boundaries, but you don’t really rule it.

Magic is the easy answer, but i get the feeling it's that and also meant to suggest the Green Isles have been fragmented for quite some time. No operating ferry, their princess abducted until recently, evil scheming, lots of bad things going on. It'll probably make more sense after a couple updates, too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Aces High posted:

If only you had known what, Alexander? You met Cassima for a few minutes and then Crispin magicked her home, probably in less time than you spent saying hello to her. I guess it's the polite thing to say but it's kinda pointless to when these events happened long before you even knew this girl existed

He's spent a LOT of time sitting in his castle thinking about her and writing in his DaventryJournal. So obviously this means he's a qualified expert! :v:

nah I mean really it's expressing sympathy for someone else's pain, not that he literally wishes he had ESP and could tell her "btw your parents are dead, sorry" before Crispin magic teleported everyone

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

DoubleNegative posted:

Bad memories, man. Bad, bad memories.

Hah. At least you can point to it and say "and finally, Sierra learned" though. Adventure game nyctophobia, the most dangerous of Sierra game curses!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

"Yes, you should play KQ6" is probably the one statement everyone here would agree on. If you're at all interested, it's definitely worth it.

just, uh, use the DOS portraits :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Nah. It's by far the best King's Quest game, but that's really not saying much.

I wanted to put "there will be some contrarian posting in minutes" in spoiler tags but WELL. :v:

• Locked thread