Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mikl posted:

That's some turbo bullshit on that puzzle right there :catstare:

About 90% of the time spent playing games like this is you wandering around aimlessly or doing brute force trial-and-error to try and figure out what the hell is going on. They really knew how to pad things out back then.

I'm sure it also didn't hurt that hint lines and (printed) walkthroughs were big before the internet took off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bregor posted:

I love how after that bullshit bridlesnake puzzle, the screen with the actual key has no boss, puzzle, or even anything else of interest. Solving it is the true spirit of KQ, which is: get as much inventory filler as possible, get stumped on a puzzle, and savescum using every possible item in every possible way until you solve it.

Was this not the standard SOP in any adventure game from the early 80's to the late 90's? Which incidentally helped drive nails into the genre's own coffin.

When you're a kid with too much free time on you hands the trial and error method really didn't seem to bother me too much though I doubt present day me would be so patient. We should just count ourselves lucky that the puzzles are still as simple as adding item A with item B and getting outcome C instead of some of the truly insane solutions we get to look forward to. Things that make articles like this stay relevant 17 years later..

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Prior to cheap(er) CD-ROM drives games and other enterprise software had already begun to get quite large. I remember some games needing upwards of 15-20 diskettes to install, smaller HDDs also meant you'd be deleting and reinstalling things a lot more often than you do today. God help you when you needed to reformat things. Not to mention all the fun of juggling boot disks.

At least when 5.25" floppies were phased out you no longer needed to keep swapping things while in play. It's probably been over a year since I last used the DVD drive on my current rig and I now find hunting for a single disk to be a pain I don't want to deal with. Technology makes us lazy a poo poo.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

I think if you asked a computer what an image of 'hate' looked like, this is the picture it would come back with. Having never played this game but knowing what other adventure games of this era were like, just looking at this makes me think "what the gently caress..." and gives me an urge to walk away. And I'm not even the one playing.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Nidoking posted:

"Hey, remember that game mechanic you had to use once right at the start of the game, which hasn't been the least bit useful ever since, so you forgot that it existed well before the halfway point? Guess what the last thing you have to do in the game is. No, you're going to love this. Just try to figure it out."

It's games as art; you exit the world as you entered it. Almost poetic. If you're a moron.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
How are those bones on the last screen still hanging from the ceiling? All the flesh and cartilage has rotted away :catstare:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm sure these three are meant to recall the three witches from Macbeth, but I grew up in the 90s and watched a lot of Disney movies as a kid. So all I can see are the Fates from Hercules.

You and me both - that would be quite the weird cross between fantasy lands though.

Also, this last part has got to be the biggest 'gently caress you' I've ever seen in a game and I honestly can't imagine a 10 year old having the patience to go through all this let alone an adult. And as a kid, I had a lot of patience for gaming bullshit (what else are you going to do when you get maybe 2-3 new games a year?). Was someone holding Roberta Williams' family hostage and demanding a new entry be made? So she made this to be the most spiteful bitch possible just to get it over with? Why else would someone make a puzzle like that...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think they just screwed up the description as later description cards seem to imply that after the eye ball was stolen the 3 witches were completely blind.

Either that or the one eye each witch is left with is also blind, so they had to share the one remaining functional eye. That makes about as much sense as anything else.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
We'll how else are you going to get people to call into the Sierra hint line?

Do these games have one of those 'About Us' splashscreens when you boot up the game? Never played this part of the series when I was younger (the first game, amazingly enough, was released before I was born and it would be another ~1 year or so after this before I got my first computer) but I remember a lot of games had them.

Also t years is a long time for Robert's hate to begin manifesting itself in other ways.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

DoubleNegative posted:

: Too late! Graham collapses and dies of extreme thirst in the hot desert sun. If only he could have found an oasis!
I love how he just kinda drops dead mid stride - perfectly fine one second. Dead, face down in the sand the next.

It's like someone falling over in Family Guy.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Clearly the most intelligent thing to do is to just let Graham tear into that raw meat right there on the mountain side. Surely nothing bad would happen if you just ate raw meat that had just been sitting on a table for god knows how long.

Also, another hilarious death where you're walking around 100% fine one second then just keel over the next - like you have nothing impairing you, you aren't limping along or hunched over or look any different. You just get a warning saying 'you should eat soon' then 5 steps later you're dead.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

DoubleNegative posted:

Graham picks up some snow and eats it.

: Ahh! Life-giving water! Nectar of the gods! Graham can now feel strength and renewal flowing through him.

This is a Sierra game, because you didn't tell Graham to specifically pick up the snow and try to melt it before drinking it you've only managed to further dehydrate yourself and lower your core body temperature; this kills you in only two steps instead of five. But I guess so long as you don't move ever again you'll be fine.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

DoubleNegative posted:

: Your Majesty, please pray for me to succeed in my quest.
: Very well.
: Also pray that after I rescue my family, I forget about your attempted regicide. Because if I return, it will be with an army at my back. Goodbye.
: You can't talk to...
: I just did. Now be quiet or get out of my way.
: Graham walks right past Sir Greywolf without giving the beast a second look.

Graham, don't kid yourself. This is the same Daventry that had to send one of your ancestors on a quest to personally rescue a woman from a dragon because with a population of 7 (3 of which were royalty and the rest were either elderly, outlaws or not human) there wasn't enough people to draft.

Also, this woman's 'realm' consists if her and 2 wolves. What the hell would you need an army for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's really the opening that does it for me: "Long ago, in a cozy little shop, Graham steals a book from a table."

So simple, but so elegant.

• Locked thread