Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Symphogear is the best anime ever made. Exploring such themes as language barriers, the meaning of heroism, Confucianism, and the birth of Christ, it is truly a deep and multilayered anime, the likes of which no one has ever seen before.

Symphogear's basic premise is that the characters must sing to battle monsters - as such, there's a wide variety of music to enjoy, sung by an all-star cast of famous singers. And Aoi Yuuki, who is there. In addition, it has an A-list staff, such as the guy who wrote Wild ARMS and the guy who created Code Lyoko. Yes, seriously.

Symphogear: Meteroid Falling, Burning, and disappear, then... Is the first season of Symphogear. High school student Hibiki Tachibana attends a concert by her favorite Idol duo, Zwei Wing - but when mysterious monsters called Noise attack, Hibiki is granted a power she could never have imagined...

Symphogear G: In the Distance, That Day, When the Star Became Music... is the second season of Symphogear. Three months after the events of Season 1, things seem to be back to normal - until a mysterious group declares war against the entire world. Hibiki and her friends are forced to confront not only rival Symphogear wielders, but the fact that their actions may have had more consequences than they realized...

Symphogear GX: Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist is the third season of Symphogear. Believe in Justice, and Hold a Determination to Fist.

Symphogear XD: Unlimited is an upcoming mobile game based on the franchise. It will feature a combination of rhythm game and RPG mechanics. Believe in Gacha, and Hold a Determination to Roll Kirika.

Symphogear AXZ is the upcoming fourth season of Symphogear, set to air in July.

CHARACTERS

Hibiki Tachibana voiced by Aoi Yuuki
Relic: Gungnir
Song Genre: Celtic Rock
Best Line: *various bird noises*

Tsubasa Kazanari voiced by Nana Mizuki
Relic: Ame no Habakiri
Song Genre: Traditional Japanese... rock...
Best Line: This is as wild a ride as Yukine herself!

Chris Yukine voiced by Ayahi Takagaki
Relic: Ichaival
Song Genre: Rock Rock
Best Line: Go the hell to bed.

Maria Cadenzavna Eve voiced by Yoko Hikasa
Relic: Airgetlam
Song Genre: 'R&B and a bit of rock in the middle of the song'
Best Line: I'm weak!

Akatsuki Kirika (the blonde one) voiced by Ai Kayano
Relic: Igalima
Song Genre: Rock Techno
Best Line: Dess

Shirabe Tsukuyomi voiced by Yoshino Nanjo
Relic: Shul Shagana
Song Genre: Techno Rock
Best Line: Jiii

Miku Kohinata voiced by Yuka Iguchi
Relic: Hm.
Song Genre: Well.
Best Line: It's the gentlest fist in the world.

Doctor John Wayne Vercingetorix voiced by Tomokazu Sugita
Relic: The fact that the animators never received a character sheet for him, thus meaning he can literally never be on model.
Song Genre: random english words
Best Line: I'm humanity's last action hero!

FAQ

lol trainwreck
No, this show is good.

Why is it good?
its got great characters, the first season is a little rocky production-wise but season 2 and 3 are animated pretty well for the most part, especially in the action scenes, and its actually funny when it wants to be. also it just takes its premise and runs with it instead of trying to be self-conscious or deep, and that legit makes it pretty smart since it just has one core theme that it sticks to instead of trying to have seventeen that it vaguely references.

is there anything wrong with it?
Some of the first season is kind of muddled tone-wise and there are a couple of bits where it feels like someone on the team did want to be edgy. It makes them work for the most part and things mostly get evened out tone-wise halfway through, and the first season is actually my favorite writing-wise but there's a reason there was a director change after it. Also, sometimes they don't explain things, at all, which helps keeps the pace fast but also means sometimes basic concepts like 'why do they have to sing to fight' only get explained in offhand lines or in the OVAs. also the first season, in general, is pretty rough around the edges. whole lotta wonky animation.

is there any trick to watching this?
Just watch it in order. Be sure to watch the OVAs tho, they're really good + funny, and actually flesh out the characters and the world too.

why is kirika the best girl
gohan gohan dess

Can I watch this on crunchy?
Yeah it's on crunchy. Some of the songs aren't subbed tho, which sucks since they're actually kind of important to characterization. If you come across an unsubbed song, look up the lyrics somewhere. or just dl the ep... like the pirate you are...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Doctor Ver is dead now. Forever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Doctor Ver is dead now. Forever.
leave the memories alone

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

first for elfnein braid and return of carol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

first for elfnein braid and return of carol

elf coat

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
GROUND FLOOR

RABIDLY HYPE

READY TO BREAK THE (CREDIT) LIMIT ON XD GACHA

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hibiki Tachibana is a Hero who loves singing and cuddling with her GF and doing rocket-powered Kung-Fu and has a winning smile, what more could you possibly want

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm looking forward to this season

Especially the part where this time the villains are adult women who are more or less fully dressed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm looking forward to this season

Especially the part where this time the villains are adult women who are more or less fully dressed

one of them is a fully dressed adult, one of them is an adult, and one of them is fully dressed.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

symphofuckingear

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
one of many things nana mizuki can do to me

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This is the dumbest loving poo poo I've ever seen and if it's anywhere close to the intro of S3 I'm gonna love it forever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

This is the dumbest loving poo poo I've ever seen and if it's anywhere close to the intro of S3 I'm gonna love it forever
actually, it's extremely intelligent and well-written!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

I say "dumbest loving poo poo" as a means of praise

Like, you might say any well-done show is automatically intelligent; I'd rather say it's 100% what it wants to be, while at the same time having a delightfully thrashy plot and truly mind-bogglingly stupid characters, both of which feels intended AND entertaining. As such, I'll agree on "well-written"

Sensei better punch a giant boulder this time! :mad:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

how bout no

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Like, you might say any well-done show is automatically intelligent; I'd rather say it's 100% what it wants to be, while at the same time having a delightfully thrashy plot and truly mind-bogglingly stupid characters, both of which feels intended AND entertaining. As such, I'll agree on "well-written"

I was going to watch Sympho but since this dude says its trashy and stupid I guess I won't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

the characters are actually very smart, multilayered, and complex

i agree that gen should punch a rock

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

how bout no

dont sign your posts

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I was going to watch Sympho but since this dude says its trashy and stupid I guess I won't.

Good. That means there's more for me to watch

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

You are conflating "characters who are silly and larger-than-life" with "characters who are stupid" a bit tighter than is entirely necessary here.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

one of them is a fully dressed adult, one of them is an adult, and one of them is fully dressed.

I am a fan of the one on the left. I am guessing she is Saint Germaine?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This seems like the kinda show I would hate myself for liking.

Why it called Symphogay tho

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i too hate myself for liking an anime about how people are cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

I am a fan of the one on the left. I am guessing she is Saint Germaine?
from left to right, saint germaine, cagliostro, and prelati

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also maria's listed as 22, not 21 on the site. she's the only one who's aged between seasons tho, so i guess they weren't kidding about it being only a few weeks since the end of gx.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I keep forgetting Ver's full name is John Wayne Vercingetorix and it gets me every drat time

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The real question for AXZ: Will Chris actually get to fire her rifle this year?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

The real question for AXZ: Will Chris actually get to fire her rifle this year?

The real real question for AXZ - will Chris get a girlfriend this year

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No one will ever compare to senpai.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Just finished episode 9, and I'm really glad Tsubasa got to have a nice day :unsmith: I wonder if we ever learn just what the noise are, other than how they're "from another dimension." I would be ok with them just being monsters so there can be monsters, but it'd be cool if we learn the connection between them and Fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Story

Only weeks after the end of the "Magical Girl Incident" that was brought about by the alchemist Carol in her attempt to dissect the world, Hibiki Tachibana was fighting hand-to-hand with the most supreme enemy known to man, and barely managing to hold it back. That enemy was none other than - Summer vacation homework.

Her duty as a student was an unavoidable and cruel fate, it mercilessly attacked with no means of resistance. How did it come to this? She asked herself as her soul was slowly crushed under the pressure, reflecting back on happier times. She went to the beach. She went to the mountains. She even promised to show her new friend around and under that pretense enjoyed numerous summer festivals, staring up with her mouth agape at the beautiful fireworks.

During the Obon festival period she left the student dorms and returned to her parents' home in Chiba. Their first happy family gathering in a long time. "With everyone together, of course we have to have a hot pot dinner!" said her father, even though it was the middle of summer. Although he had been separated from the family for years her father was his usual self, shallow and foolish. However Hibiki was in good spirits right along with him, leaving her mother and grandmother with their eyebrows arched in perfect surprise.

Prior to all this, there were numerous supernatural events that broke out and forced Hibiki to don her Symphogear. But as a result of it all, she felt she had become at least a little bit more knowledgeable about the world. Her homeroom teacher had always told her that her writing was illegible to the point of being like "hieroglyphics," but now that she knew what that actually meant she knew it was simply an exaggeration.

She was living days of pure bliss that were previously unthinkable. One of her classmates even told her "your daily life has finally become just like a late-night anime." She didn't really understand what that meant, but from the way it was said she could tell it wasn't a bad thing and that made her happy.

If only these days could continue forever...so she wished.

But of course the longer those fabulous and wonderful days continued, the bigger the debt she would eventually be forced to pay back became. The later half of summer vacation, and the eventual restart of her school days. This is where the curtain will fall on the new battle that Hibiki faces.

Other Notes: There'll be a 'bonus episode' released alongside XD. Presumably it's some sort of setup for the mobile game. It'll be in the app, after all. No indication of if it's a short or a full length episode.

The OP/ED are the standard Nana Mizuki/Ayahi Takagaki split.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 7, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint-Germain voiced by Minako Kotobuki (Asuka in Euphonium, Karina in Tiger & Bunny)
An alchemist who is among the top brass of the Bavarian Illuminati. A stunning female beauty who often dresses like a man. There are multiple paths to achieving mastery of alchemy, but each of them shares a common goal of reaching the state of "perfection." Having discovered the deepest secrets of alchemy, Saint-Germain succeeded in recreating her body into a perfect being, which allows her to live for eternity. In order to realize the ideal she holds in her heart, she now strives to create the "power of god."

Cagliostro voiced by Shouta Aoi (Ai in Uta no Prince-Sama, Hideaki in Ace of Diamond)
An alchemist who is among the top brass of the Bavarian Illuminati. Both Cagliostro and Prelati used to be men, but after they met Saint-Germain their bodies were biologically altered via alchemy into the perfect form of a "woman." This granted them an extended lifespan and permanent youth. Originally, Cagliostro was a swindler know for his endless lies, however since obtaining a perfect body she has determined to never lie about her feelings.

Prelati voiced by Rina Hidaka (Silica in Sword Art Online, Last Order in A Certain Magical Index)
An alchemist who is among the top brass of the Bavarian Illuminati. In the past, he was soundly defeated by the true power of alchemy wielded by Saint-Germain. Afterwards, Prelati agreed to help Saint-Germain achieve the ideal she strives to make a reality. Prelati used to indulge in luxury and pleasure, but ever since being granted a perfect body by Saint-Germain, she has quit being lazy and become an earnest researcher. However, on some rare occasions her old personality shows through and she lets a preference for having fun get in the way of work.

The website also has bios for the returning cast, but the only interesting things are

Maria is 22 now instead of 21. Nobody else aged.
It mentions that Kirika's slightly raised her synchronization with her gear through training. Shirabe's bio doesn't have a matching note, so that might be their arc this season.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm the determination to fist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, everyone's new casual outfits

feel free to play fashion swat

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kirika is under arrest for being too edgy for society

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
What on earth is going on with Kirika's pants situation. "Do you want to wear shorts, a skirt, or pants?" "Yes."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yep that's kirika

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

kirika is under arrest for being too edgy for society

And here I was thinking she isn't chuuni enough. Looking smug as heck, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kanos posted:

What on earth is going on with Kirika's pants situation. "Do you want to wear shorts, a skirt, or pants?" "Dess."

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

But what do the hand gestures and which arm they're stretching out mean for this season.

• Locked thread