Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

when they explain that she's resurrected a lot throughout the course of history, they show a portrait of confucius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So I finished Season 1: Meteoroid Falling, Burning, Disappearing and Then... of Symphogear. I'd say it was pretty cool and good. And I liked it a whole lot.

The premise alone basically sold me on it immediately. The Power of Rock as a weapon is always extremely cool and I adore anything that expresses character motivations, personality, backstory and development through music and song, and by the show's nature that happens just about every episode. The show knows it's got a homerun of a concept too and goes all in on it. It's not until like episode 5 they bother explaining why everyone's singing and the explanation is barely a sentence long. They let the fact the characters are singing songs about who they are as they destroy hordes of interdimensional enemies speak for itself, it doesn't need to be commented on really.

The characters are all very good as well. Hibiki's the main character but Chris and especially Tsubasa get almost as much focus and development, with Miku not too far behind. Their development and arcs are cool and paced well, with interesting themes being explored through them. They have strong personalities and good interactions with each other and have crazy weapons and cool attack names. Solid supporting cast as well even if I don't remember the name of any of them except for Gen who is amazing. Even if he should stop hiding stuff from people and also not tell others to hide stuff from people.

Kinda down on its villains though. The Noise have great designs and I love how they move and everything but they never really have a good showing and are always cannon fodder. This ain't a monster of the week show so even the bigger more unique Noise never really amount to anything, only remaining a threat due to being a one hit kill to normal people. Chris is just way better as a hero than villain and Fine is complicated. The tower of Babel stuff is super great and well-connected with the themes but it's so difficult to consider end of show Fine and early Fine as the same character. She's introduced literally torturing a teenager and emotionally manipulating her on top of that, and it ends with her as a somewhat tragic figure who's learned a lesson about communication and the potential for redemption in a future life. And it's just kinda weird.

Really fun show though. Looking forward to watching the OVAs next.

Edit: Also I feel I should bring this up but Communication through music and across languages is a super solid theme that I am surprised more works don't discuss. Because its interesting and relevant and cool and I really like what the show does with it. It's got some extraordinarily good ideas and implements them well.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 13, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

On the other hand none of Hibiki's solo attacks ever get named. So actually the show is terrible and complete garbage. 0/10

Endorph posted:

when they explain that she's resurrected a lot throughout the course of history, they show a portrait of confucius.

Guess I missed that.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
There's at least once named Bikki solo attack in the upcoming mobage

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You should definitely watch season 2 (Symphogear G) when you get a chance! It's my favorite of the three by a pretty considerable margin.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

graybook posted:

One of the most fun Miku faces

Hail thirsty Miku.

Also yes, G is the best season.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Powerful.

Here's hoping season 4 has some fancy new edgy poo poo for me to get disappointed over them outright deleting through the progression of the season. Greatest Hero Ver will make Symphogear Great Again, surely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kinda down on its villains though. The Noise have great designs and I love how they move and everything but they never really have a good showing and are always cannon fodder. This ain't a monster of the week show so even the bigger more unique Noise never really amount to anything, only remaining a threat due to being a one hit kill to normal people. Chris is just way better as a hero than villain and Fine is complicated. The tower of Babel stuff is super great and well-connected with the themes but it's so difficult to consider end of show Fine and early Fine as the same character. She's introduced literally torturing a teenager and emotionally manipulating her on top of that, and it ends with her as a somewhat tragic figure who's learned a lesson about communication and the potential for redemption in a future life. And it's just kinda weird.
the thing about fine's 'redemption' is that it's less because she deserves it and more because Bikki thinks everyone deserves it. Both Fine's arc and Bikki's baggage get some more air time in S2, so I highly recommend giving it a shot sometime.

edit: Also Bikki not getting any named attacks is the idea. She doesn't actually have a gear. The show wasn't kidding with that line about her gear being holding the others' hands.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Hibiki being Entirely Too Nice is a massive part of what makes her character so charismatic and likable IMO

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

the thing about fine's 'redemption' is that it's less because she deserves it and more because Bikki thinks everyone deserves it. Both Fine's arc and Bikki's baggage get some more air time in S2, so I highly recommend giving it a shot sometime.

edit: Also Bikki not getting any named attacks is the idea. She doesn't actually have a gear. The show wasn't kidding with that line about her gear being holding the others' hands.

I get that Hibiki is just the nicest and it makes sense for her to offer redemption and forgiveness, because she's a pure angel. But it's still weird to me that the character who ends the series smiling warmly at forgiveness and basically saying she'll make up for her actions in the future is the same character that was introduced through torture, especially as Chris is crying as Fine dies. Which again makes sense considering how attached she was (due to said torture and also emotional manipulations) but it's so weird that's the last note of their relationship. I wasn't a fan.

And if Hibiki's real gear is the power of friendship and hand holding then every time she held someone's hand and gave an insightful and sweet comment about how much she cares about and believes in them should have gotten a name and splash screen!!!!

E: I'll definitely get to Symphogear G eventually. Probably pretty soon. I liked the first season a lot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I feel like the biggest problem with Fine's redemption is that, since it was all smashed into the last episode, Fine goes from tearing down the moon to accepting Hibiki's resolve in less than two minutes, which is just terrible pacing Otherwise I find her changing her mind fairly believable.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I feel like when Symphogear stumbles it's usually less due to actively bad ideas of where to take the story and more a matter of either allocating their time in an odd way or leaning a little too far out there with the tone. Fine's redemption is a fine idea that doesn't entirely get as much time as it needs to breathe. Fine torturing and exploiting Chris, even in a rather sexualized context, actually isn't a terrible idea IMO considering how Fine's whole thing is kind of a perversion of Hibiki's desire to reach out and connect with someone - but the camera's too leery and the whole thing is a little too hot to make entirely work.

G is noticeably better on both fronts, IMO, while GX has pacing issues but is probably still better than Season 1 in terms of tone and delivery.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Threads was right. The 1st OVA was extremely good.

Hibiki is more dangerous than I ever expected. I'm pretty sure Miku was close to dying from all that flirting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pre-reg for the mobile game is still open.. Put in your email address then hit IOS or Android. We've hit all the milestones except the free SR Chris.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/symphogear_XD/status/874925987439554561

also follow the twitter account and rt this and maybe we'll get a free ssr ignited hibiki (or rather, they'll give some people codes for a ssr ignited hibiki)

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
I finally got around to watching the first OAV, and nobody told me Chris had the best faces

Mecha fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 15, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Chris has the best [noun]" is pretty universal I've found.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Chris is so powerful that she managed to become the most powerful comedy straight man in a show with Tsubasa in it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Every day I think about the meaning of the phrase "Ha Ha Goooooo toooooo hellllll, it's super dakka time!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Spiritus Nox posted:

Every day I think about the meaning of the phrase "Ha Ha Goooooo toooooo hellllll, it's super dakka time!"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chris is the eternal third wheel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Chris is the eternal third wheel.

chris is dating tsubasa

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So Tsubasa is cheating on Chris with Maria? And while Chris is busy being a single mother, to boot. Shameful.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Who said anything about cheating on

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

chris is dating tsubasa

:yeah:

Tsubasa/Chris is such a good ship that I'm kind of baffled that people seem to default to pairing Tsubasa with Maria instead.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 15, 2017

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Did Tsubasa and Chris even have scenes together in the last season that weren't also ensemble scenes, I can't really recall any.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They had a duet!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
They had a 'duet at home'

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

Did Tsubasa and Chris even have scenes together in the last season that weren't also ensemble scenes, I can't really recall any.

There was Bayonet Charge and "I feel like I need to hold your hand." when Ignite was loving them up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also Chris is a more interesting character than Maria and most Chris/Tsubasa fanworks I've seen make Chris a mix of flustered and angry that I find really endearing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Both are entertaining in my opinion.

And I want Maria and Chris to start interacting more. That feels like unrealized potential.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pretty much the only thing I really want from more Symphogear is for it to lean harder on character moments than GX did, honestly. Which makes what we've heard about AXZ starting slower and more SOL-y than previous season sound pretty nice to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

what the gently caress

there was literally an entire episode about their relationship and how they support each other

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Was there? I remember episodes of Tsubasa and Maria doing things and episodes of Chris trying to be a role model for Shirabe and Kirika but I can't honestly remember a Tsubasa and Chris episode.

Then again most of the third season is just kind of a blur to me at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

when they came in and used their ignite modules for the first time they had a duet and an entire like 13 minute powerup sequence where they flashbacked to their damage and then helped each other out of it

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
BAYONET CHARGE is intense and I plan to karaoke it with my very good friend at Otakon.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
C'mon. "Do it at hooome!"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I must have tuned that out too since I only remember GX pushing Tsubasa/Maria pretty hard.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

GX was for Tsubasa/Maria, G was for Tsubasa/Chris.

The ep with Ignited was still pretty great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, sounds like Tsubasa gets a new girlfriend every season. She's got game.

• Locked thread