Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

enough. these are the canon pokemon teams:

If you disagree, you're banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Ver's Luvdisc at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like Ver's Luvdisc at least.

no props for the spinda too i thought that was pretty clever

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

no props for the spinda too i thought that was pretty clever

The Spinda is very good as well but I thought if I gave too many compliments I'd come off as accepting these teams as correct rather than my previous extremely good suggestions.

Also liked Chimecho and Sunflora for Hibiki. Can't believe I didn't think of those.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I like the trainer sprites chosen

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Maria still needs an actual cat.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
way to leave out glaceon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

way to leave out glaceon
unfortunately serena is dead

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
So let's say, hypothetically, that I somewhat intentionally pissed off a friend by tricking her into playing a game that's secretly horror and she hated it. We both like magical girl shows and I'm trying to find one that will appease her and get her to trust my recommendations again. Endorph beat the drum for this show pretty hard in the magical girl thread so I started watching it tonight.

I'm chopping my way through season one but some of the grimness of the beginning, especially the first episode, is cool for me but may make her think that I'm trying to trick her again. Does it mellow out a bit as it goes along where it comes to screaming children getting turned to ash as their dreams explode around them? Because otherwise the music and the action is pretty dope. Also I accidentally watched episode one of season 3 first because I'm easily confused by Crunchy's layouts and I want my friend to eventually see K2 get punched so hard a spaceship safely flies through it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Adlai Stevenson posted:

So let's say, hypothetically, that I somewhat intentionally pissed off a friend by tricking her into playing a game that's secretly horror and she hated it. We both like magical girl shows and I'm trying to find one that will appease her and get her to trust my recommendations again. Endorph beat the drum for this show pretty hard in the magical girl thread so I started watching it tonight.

I'm chopping my way through season one but some of the grimness of the beginning, especially the first episode, is cool for me but may make her think that I'm trying to trick her again. Does it mellow out a bit as it goes along where it comes to screaming children getting turned to ash as their dreams explode around them? Because otherwise the music and the action is pretty dope. Also I accidentally watched episode one of season 3 first because I'm easily confused by Crunchy's layouts and I want my friend to eventually see K2 get punched so hard a spaceship safely flies through it.

Yes. I find the tone mellows out by episode 7.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Eela6 posted:

Yes. I find the tone mellows out by episode 7.

Sweet. Thank you~

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
more like episode 4, the first three episodes show everyone at their lowest point and episode 4 marks where hibiki starts turning things around and getting poo poo together

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Also I accidentally watched episode one of season 3 first because I'm easily confused by Crunchy's layouts and I want my friend to eventually see K2 get punched so hard a spaceship safely flies through it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I trust the calculations of the team who managed to put three magical girls into low orbit at a precise enough angle to intercept a falling space shuttle more than I trust someone analyzing a picture. :colbert:

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Adlai Stevenson posted:

The darker tone that shows up here and there in the early episodes is a complete misdirection that only serves to further highlight how campy and fun everything gets later on. It's a gleefully ridiculous show that delights in finding ways to outdo its own insanity again and again. Symphogear is silly and wonderful and I hope you and your friend enjoy it!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

esselfortium posted:

The darker tone that shows up here and there in the early episodes is a complete misdirection that only serves to further highlight how campy and fun everything gets later on. It's a gleefully ridiculous show that delights in finding ways to outdo its own insanity again and again. Symphogear is silly and wonderful and I hope you and your friend enjoy it!

I don't think it's a misdirection, it's an intentional point. The darkness in the early episodes is because nobody's communicating with each other, not even the heroes. The point where things turn around and become earnest and even silly is the point where Hibiki becomes fully committed to communicating with the people around her, and encouraging them to communicate with each other. It's not an accident that the show's more hopeful turn is pretty much kickstarted by Hibiki's silly speech to Chris, and her being more honest with Miku.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 13, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adlai Stevenson posted:

also if you want a more standard magical girl show, go princess precure is real good if your friend hasnt watched it yet

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
When will the OVAs come out?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Eela6 posted:

Zesshoushinai specials are releasing with BD/DVD volumes 3-6. One release per each of the coming months, so last will be with BD6 in February.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Eela6 posted:

Good av

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Kylra posted:

Good av

thanks! its a small thing but it brightens up my day

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

interview with aoi yuuki and yuka iguchi (hibiki and miku's VAs, natch)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I think that's first time I've heard/read Aoi Yuki talk about anything at length. She and Iguchi seem pretty cool!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Yuka: Well inversely, Hibiki is the only one capable of taking all of Miku’s love.

Aoi: Lately it does seem like Miku’s love has become a tad overbearing hasn’t it? (Laugh)

Also,

quote:

Special Corner

Please sum up Symphogear in one word

Aoi: Strong!

Yuka: Aoi Yuki

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 31, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

quote:

Yuka: To be frank I could talk about Hibiki's good points all day
:hai:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Aoi Yuki posted:

Well I remember being told by the Sound Director “Please yell, but please also sing” and thinking “What does that mean!?” (Laugh) But I remember watching the finished product and it really made me think “This is Symphogear." It truly was an emotional set of episodes.

Thread title for next season?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of next season, the AXZ Artbook has a preview picture of the S1 Trio's gear designs for next season.

Tsubasa's is a bit closer to her S1 design again, which is my favorite gear design for her. Hibiki's scarf continues its gradual evolution into being a cape. Chris's is okay.

Specifically they're called Azoth Gears and are said to be a mix of alchemy and the gear tech, so they could be powers up to replace Ignite, but the design of them makes me think they're just the new defaults.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I hope they're new defaults. I was never just crazy about IGNITE as a concept, and I like those designs quite a bit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ignite worked fine in S3 but it was pretty clearly a bit of an albatross in S4 - they had to come up with tons of excuses and workarounds just so every single fight didn't have them using ignite, now that the risks of it had been overcome. I think a new standard form that incorporates design elements of ignite and their previous gears is a pretty good compromise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ignite makes the music worse and i'm not a fan.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

how does it feel?

Being a monster I mean

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's cool the first time it happens because hey a song remix, that owns. But then you listen to them later and realise the original versions are better and probably had more thought put into them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm making the sign of a crucifix with my fingers and slowly backing away

I respect your opinion

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I really liked Ignite in S3 because it had this great "desperate deal with the devil" thing going on where it was a necessary powerup fraught with horrible side effects and was clearly a Not Good Thing, making the gears look extremely sinister when it activated and twisting their normal songs into evil dubstep metal remixes with significantly more angry/aggressive lyrics.

I wasn't a big fan in AXZ because it was treated as just another generic powerup without any of the things that made it interesting and unique.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It does, but I love it anyways. it's so extreme....

I like the look of the new gears and I think an excuse to retire ol' Dainslef is just fine.

if we're going to throw back to precious designs, give Maria a big white cape!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Part of it is just that I usually think Dubstep is lame anyway. :shrug:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chris doesn't look significantly different and I'll agree that Tsubasa drifting back toward her season 1 outfit is good, but I'd rather see Hibiki keep her scarf than get a cape. I also like her season 2 and 3 design having more gray and brown.

Ignite was cool for the dragon claws, and black and neon with black light glow always looks cool, but I won't be too sad to see it go.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Part of it is just that I usually think Dubstep is lame anyway. :shrug:
Even if it's not your jam, if you listen to something enough, you get an ear for what works and what doesn't. Ignite doesn't work as dubstep or extreme metal, in my opinion.*

Let's be real. Is there anyone out there who likes Ignited Radiant Force more than the 'real' one?

*music taste is subjective, of course, but this is something I know a bit about. I lIsten to a lot of techno, experimental electronic music, and various flavors of extreme metal, and I spent a ton of the dubstep era at various music festivals. I also made some hilariously terrible industrial metal back in college that I will not share with the class.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In the moment? Hell yes.
Going back and listening to it as a full standalone song? Feels a bit fast and disjointed at parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

graybook posted:

In the moment? Hell yes.

Death!

• Locked thread