Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i dont really see the tsubasa/maria stuff, it mostly seems like maria is really hard up for tsubasa and tsubasa just makes fun of her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I can *see* Tsubasa x Chris, but that doesn't mean I much care for it. Maria x Tsubasa makes much more aesthetic (the two tall girls, long hair, "mothers" to their Symphogear teams) and thematic sense to me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Tsubasa and Chris have had way more interpersonal moments. Most of the Tsubasa/Maria screen time in GX felt largely professional rather than personal.

Maria feels like she simply hasn't gotten a lot of interaction with other characters in general because she spends so much time in her little personal "I'M WEAK" world. I'm hoping she gets to hang out with other characters more in the new season, along with Kirika and Shirabe having more time with other characters too; their little interludes with Chris were fantastic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

Tsubasa and Chris have had way more interpersonal moments. Most of the Tsubasa/Maria screen time in GX felt largely professional rather than personal.

Maria feels like she simply hasn't gotten a lot of interaction with other characters in general because she spends so much time in her little personal "I'M WEAK" world. I'm hoping she gets to hang out with other characters more in the new season, along with Kirika and Shirabe having more time with other characters too; their little interludes with Chris were fantastic.

Yeah, Maria definitely felt the most underused of anyone in GX.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's a gameplay video of xd.

notables:

60 stones for a roll, 600 for a 10-roll.

You actually equip the songs to characters. The character singing gets a bonus, and you can switch songs at any time. I think skills are also stronger when the song is at its fastest point?

3 characters in battle, plus a support from a friend. Your only reserve is the friend, it seems like.

7 elements that have some sort of rock/paper/scissors system going on.

It overall seems very f/go.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This isn't the Summer 2017 thread Chumbler was talking about.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it is

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

All the Summer I need.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Was there a budget increase between seasons or something? Because I think the animation has gotten a noticeable boost. Fight scenes were really good the first two episodes. The Symphogears look to have been upgraded between seasons as well. Hibiki's jet punch is incredibly rad.

Seems sorta weird Maria is using Dark Gungnir when she's being set up as Tsubasa's rival but I guess Gungir is pretty heavily related to Tsubasa anyway. Also, i'm very disappointed her armed gear isn't just her cape. Speaking of armed gears it's extremely cool that they're treating Hibiki's Gungnir's actual weapon as power gained from holding hands. Like it's not considered a metaphor or anything, it's her Symphogear's real power. It owns.

Also, I hope every season starts with a concert. They're cool.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

S1's production was kind of weird so that might account for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

S1 wasn't a priority for satelight at all, it had a very inexperienced, fairly barebones staff and a director whose only previous directorial experience came from the world's weirdest season of shugo chara

quote:

Each 24-25 minute episode consists of a series of variety show style shorts (including Shugo Chara! Pucchi Puchi) totaling approx. 9-10 minutes, followed by the main 11-12 minute animation titled Shugo Chara!!! Dokki Doki which is the actual continuation of season 2 and comes with it's own opening animation. The remaining time is occupied by live action padding between each section and capped off with the opening/ending themes at the beginning and end of the episode.

S2 had a lot of the same staff, but obviously they'd gained experience from, you know, doing a full season of a show already, and it had a much more experienced director, Katsumi Ono, who'd directed the entirety of yugioh 5ds plus two other shows. Plus after the first season did decently financially, Satelight gave them more lead-in time and some extra staff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This is something I'm remembering from like 5 years ago but I think there were also issues with encourage films, another animation studio involved until partway into s1, after which the franchise is purely satelite.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This show is fun! I don't know if I would call it 'Good' but I just finished the second season and I've had a good time.

I hope there are more hibiki training monrages in the future, they've been the best part of both seasons.

Every time Chris says something like 'this is my cross to bear' I giggle a little bit. No poo poo, you're the only Chris-chan in the whole show! I don't know if the pun is intentional but it works for me.

I think if the actual music was more my style I would love this. The only songs that have really stood out to me are Chris' absurd songs, mostly for the lyrics. Girl's got issues.

Kirika is adorable.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 22, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's Good

glad you're enjoying it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

I hope there are more hibiki training monrages in the future, they've been the best part of both seasons.

Genjuuro taking Hibiki under his wing legit might be my second favorite character dynamic in the whole show. Genjuuro loves his job so drat much.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eela6 posted:

Kirika is adorable.

Dess

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Genjuuro taking Hibiki under his wing legit might be my second favorite character dynamic in the whole show. Genjuuro loves his job so drat much.

I also really like Ogawa and Tsubasa's relationship because he expends more energy trying to make her the best idol ever than he does being her government watchdog.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop on Genjuuro and I'm so much happier it never did. He's just a cool dude who likes action movies and teaching important life lessons, like how to punch giant boulders.

Everyone could use a role model like that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop on Genjuuro and I'm so much happier it never did. He's just a cool dude who likes action movies and teaching important life lessons, like how to punch giant boulders.

Everyone could use a role model like that.

I love the bit in S1 where Hibiki asks "Hey Genjuuro can you teach me kung fu?" and Genjuuro basically just looks at her for a minute, strokes his goatee, smiles, and goes "Oh, I can teach you kung fu."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Man there was a big blog post talking about the double meaning of Miku's song and I wanted to show it to a friend but I can't seem to find it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Man there was a big blog post talking about the double meaning of Miku's song and I wanted to show it to a friend but I can't seem to find it.

Is it perhaps in reference to this

https://i.imgur.com/h7kcg6E.png

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hibiki getting her arm eaten was a bit more gruesome than I was expecting from this show tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wow. Tsubasa picked the absolute worst way to handle this, huh?

Also, man Hibiki is so cool.

Edit: Oh My God, these people are so bad at handling Hibiki and Miku.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 23, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wow. Tsubasa picked the absolute worst way to handle this, huh?

Also, man Hibiki is so cool.

Edit: Oh My God, these people are so bad at handling Hibiki and Miku.

G has some great cliffhangers, but the one in this stretch of episodes where Hibiki punches a noise before even transforming and subsequently lets Dr. Ver know that he's come to the wrong motherfucking neighborhood is one of the best I've seen in terms of getting me psyched for the next episode.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

G has some great cliffhangers, but the one in this stretch of episodes where Hibiki punches a noise before even transforming and subsequently lets Dr. Ver know that he's come to the wrong motherfucking neighborhood is one of the best I've seen in terms of getting me psyched for the next episode.

It also had the rad opening to the ED playing over it, making it even better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When does the new season start?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

It also had the rad opening to the ED playing over it, making it even better.

Oh yeah. The way that synthline starts to swell and pulse as Hibiki transforms and gets psyched and Ver shits himself really makes the scene.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

When does the new season start?

July 2. So about 9 days.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

That was really loving great. Hibiki is the coolest. Even more so now that she just saved Miku with a very intense hug.

Also wow, big swerve by Chris. Didn't see that one coming.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can always count on chris to watch your back

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So I finished Symphogear G and it was very good. Higher highs than season 1 and much higher lows too, but I think I still enjoyed the 1st season a little more. It had a bit more focus on the development of the main cast and on exploring their characters and their interactions with each other (Tsubasa and Chris's relationship excepted which got a lot of time this season instead), and that's the part of the show I like the most. Even if the fight scenes and villains were far improved.

And I know I just said that but man Hibiki really shined in G. She she gets so many cool moments in G and is just fantastic all round, also she gets like 4 seperate songs for her Symphogear and they're great!! The look into her backstory was nice too and explains a lot about her, but I was really expecting that to involve Miku more and although Miku got some really big focus in getting an evil Gear I kinda feel she was under-utilised. It's not until halfway through the series she gets any real important scenes with Hibiki and their relationship is one of the strongest parts of the show, then again their songs in episode 10 being about love and everything was very sweet and nice. And i'm glad I know enough Japanese to catch the wordplay in Miku talking about echoes a couple of times in her song. Chris was also a highlight and the flashback of her becoming friends with the girls in her class and her talking about how she's found a home with everyone was honestly one of my favourite parts of the season. Although she (and Tsubasa) spend a big part of the middle of the season not getting any real big focus though and it's a shame. They both keep the same song for their symphogear over all 13 episodes too and that was disappointing.

The new symphogear users were pretty cool for the most part though it's a shame their individual rivalries with the main cast don't get much play (excepting Shirabe and Hibiki which was actually really good especially with Shirabe being Fine and all), and I really liked that idea. Especially the Tsubasa/Maria scenes that were pretty central in the earlier episodes. Maria got pretty lame though in the latter half of the season, and she was really cool early on. I loved how completely opposite to everyone else her songs didn't reflect her at all and were complete lies. I enjoyed the idea a lot but she really could've found her conviction earlier than 10 minutes into the final episode. It's also really hard to sympathise with her when her teaming up with Ver really messes up Kirika and Shirabe and they're pure and good girls who deserve happiness. Speaking of, Kirika rides a giant jet-powered scythe like a witches broom and Shirabe's ultimate attack is just a giant robot so they're the coolest and the best. Also, Fine's implementation in the season through those 2 was interesting and well done. I feel better about her character now than I did at the end of season 1.

Nastassja was good as well, even if she was kind of a bad mum. I liked her relationship with the new kids. As a villain she was completely overshadowed by Ver though (even discounting how she basically stopped being a villain around episode 8). He starts off as just smarmy and smug but he's the type of pathetic, petty, and crazy villain that I love. His plan was ridiculous, his motives so utterly small and worthless, his actions awful, and his faces incredibly entertaining. He ruled. Even if he didn't say as many english words as I was told he would.

In summation, it's still real dumb Hibiki doesn't get a cool named attack when even Ogawa does. Like What The Hell!?!?!?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hibiki's named attack is Friendship

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ogawa got a named attack because it's identical to one of Tsubasa's. It's actually a ninja technique he taught to her.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

hibiki's named attack is Friendship

I agree and it should come with a cool splash screen!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also ogawa's backstory (only mentioned in a character blurb for him on the gx website sadly) of him being from a powerful ninja family but all his brothers getting into real estate or working at gay bars or whatever so he inherited all the techniques by process of elimination, is actually really funny

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I agree and it should come with a cool splash screen!!!

It's cooler that it doesn't.

Also you should watch at least the first 6 minutes of GX even if you aren't going to start on GX as a whole tonight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

also ogawa's backstory (only mentioned in a character blurb for him on the gx website sadly) of him being from a powerful ninja family but all his brothers getting into real estate or working at gay bars or whatever so he inherited all the techniques by process of elimination, is actually really funny

I don't see why they couldn't inherit ninja skills too since he is obviously first and foremost the manager of Japan's greatest musician Tsubasa Kazanari over being a secret agent or a ninja.

chumbler posted:

It's cooler that it doesn't.

Also you should watch at least the first 6 minutes of GX even if you aren't going to start on GX as a whole tonight.

I watched like 10 episodes of Symphogear today though. I need a break. And I need to track down the next ova first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Maria is a deeply sad character in G because she's repeatedly forced into a role that does not fit her at all as a person. She's forced to project the image of a strong, steely, composed leader and big sister figure when internally she's basically a wreck of anxiety and grief who can barely function, and she falls pretty hard down the Sunk Cost Fallacy hole by listening to Ver; by that point, she's convinced that if she doesn't continue going through with Ver's idiot plan all the crimes they had to commit were for absolutely nothing. Ultimately, she has to deal with the only real power she's ever had getting pretty much ripped out of her hands by Hibiki when Hibiki yoinks the Dark Gungnir.

Thankfully they touch on her basically being a big old bundle of issues in GX.

• Locked thread