Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The enemy team in G being a bunch of bumblefucks was the best thing about that season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hibiki stealing her Gungnir is good though because it's the final proof that even after everything she's told herself her conviction is still weak and only after it happens does she finally find her true resolve. Even if she still needed a pep talk from her dead sister.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's okay, Tsubasa needed pep talks from her dead BFF. Everyone needs whatever help they can get.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's okay, Tsubasa needed pep talks from her dead BFF. Everyone needs whatever help they can get.

Pep talks are important. They're a key part of communication.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

The enemy team in G being a bunch of bumblefucks was the best thing about that season.

Everybody likes to root for underdogs.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Basically my same thoughts and setiments about G to a T, especially regarding Miku and my overall thoughts on the season, though I actually liked Maria's development throughout the season and found it quite understandable. On the contrary, I felt they definitely could have tightened up Chris' Arc quite a bit: The ending of episode 4 is great, probably my favorite song moment in the series so far, and her character development with Tsubasa at the end is good too, but I feel that the script writing didn't handle her "need for redemption" very well; definitely didn't emphasize it enough throughout the middle of the season, and it felt really cheap when it came up again. I also felt that this aspect suffered from "Power Rangers Syndrome", where if it was so important, why did it feel like every episode, the symphogear wielders would just stand idly, let Ver summon noise, kill them, then wait for him to summon more, instead of charge him and take the Staff of Solomon? Also Chris could have easily given Ver chase after Hibiki destroyed Nephelim and passed out of her rage, but didn't?

On a seperate note, since I'm nitpicking away, Tsubasa acting the way she did regarding Hibiki's condition was dumb and bad drama, but thankfully that didn't even last a full episode, and it's at least sort of believable because she's an dumb emotional teenager, and she's already had to deal with the loss of a very close friend before.

Anyways, glad you're enjoying the show! And I'm halfway through GX, so I guess it's a race to finish it before you do and before AXZ starts :cheeky:

Julias fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 23, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah Tsubasa deciding the best way to get Hibiki to stop fighting was to call her weak and worthless and crush her fragile self-worth was super dumb. It doesn't really end up mattering too much though and I mentioned it in an earlier post so I didn't talk about in my review.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah Tsubasa deciding the best way to get Hibiki to stop fighting was to call her weak and worthless and crush her fragile self-worth was super dumb. It doesn't really end up mattering too much though and I mentioned it in an earlier post so I didn't talk about in my review.
It's because Tsubasa's really hosed up. Tsubasa's grown a lot as a character, but she still fundamentally sees herself as a tool. She'd rather be told she's too weak to make a difference then told that she literally can't fight. One is a crush to her self-esteem, but the other would literally make her an unperson, in her own eyes. She's projecting that onto Hibiki.

Of course I do think they could have done with a scene where Tsubasa apologizes for that after everything's said and done but the ending of G is so chaotic that I can't really blame them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, xd launches on the 26th.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

XD

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
On the contrary, Hibiki stealing Maria's gugnir is bad because when Maria had it she had a really sweet cape.

Having watched the first 6 minutes of season 3 I can confirm that they are pretty cool.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I assume that there must be a douj out there somewhere about the two astronauts in the beginning of GX.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So I finished Symphogear G and it was very good. Higher highs than season 1 and much higher lows too, but I think I still enjoyed the 1st season a little more. It had a bit more focus on the development of the main cast and on exploring their characters and their interactions with each other (Tsubasa and Chris's relationship excepted which got a lot of time this season instead), and that's the part of the show I like the most. Even if the fight scenes and villains were far improved.

Honestly, I felt it's a good thing the good guys got comparatively less screen time devoted to them and their myriad issues since that meant the bad guy symphogear user chucklefucks got more screen time and we got to focus on their myriad issues instead.

It's the one thing that really made the third season my least favorite. By that point the main cast of symphogear users is already pretty big and it seemed like the staff decided that each one gets an equal amount of screen time and character exploration/development, leading to things feeling pretty thin and rushed. Also meant any side character not named Miku barely existed and I assume it's why they decided to make the bad guy squad boring robot people that are totally okay to murder, because they wouldn't have the time to flesh them out either.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Honestly, I felt it's a good thing the good guys got comparatively less screen time devoted to them and their myriad issues since that meant the bad guy symphogear user chucklefucks got more screen time and we got to focus on their myriad issues instead.

It's the one thing that really made the third season my least favorite. By that point the main cast of symphogear users is already pretty big and it seemed like the staff decided that each one gets an equal amount of screen time and character exploration/development, leading to things feeling pretty thin and rushed. Also meant any side character not named Miku barely existed and I assume it's why they decided to make the bad guy squad boring robot people that are totally okay to murder, because they wouldn't have the time to flesh them out either.

Did you just call Garie boring?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Did you just call Garie boring?

I sure as hell will. GX villain squad is largely quite lame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kaneko wrote gx under the impression it'd be the last season, which is why every character gets the resolution to their arcs crammed in

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Endorph posted:

kaneko wrote gx under the impression it'd be the last season, which is why every character gets the resolution to their arcs crammed in

That does make the sort of finalness of Tsubasa's arc make more sense. But I wouldn't think of most of the others as big resolution arcs, but I do for instance actually hate Hibiki's arc through out most of GX so take that as you will.

I still think it's really hosed up that the big resolution to her soul searching over her father was realizing she was using his catchphrase to blow off life's problems. To the point that she said it to Miku all the loving time, especially when she's going out to seek suicide via comabt. I have no idea how any of that's suppose to come off as positive for her and not instead trigger further soul searching over how she treats Miku like the man who walked out on her mother.

Spiritus Nox posted:

The villains in GX weren't great, but Garie at least had a personality as slim as it was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think that was the resolution to her arc, at all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Spiritus Nox posted:

*strikes ridic pose on one leg* ur a scrub

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I enjoyed the auto-scorers, especially Garie and Micha.

Their bits in the 2nd set of OVAs are the funniest.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

I don't think that was the resolution to her arc, at all.

Yeah. In particular, I don't see where you get the impression that Hibiki has a death wish. Self worth issues, sure, but I never got the impression that she didn't plan on making it back from a fight. I thought GX actually quietly did a solid job of showing Hibiki being more cognizant of and responsive to Miku worrying about her.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. In particular, I don't see where you get the impression that Hibiki has a death wish. Self worth issues, sure, but I never got the impression that she didn't plan on making it back from a fight. I thought GX actually quietly did a solid job of showing Hibiki being more cognizant of and responsive to Miku worrying about her.

I mean, there was that time Tsubasa talks to her directly about the death wish/survivor's guilt and she deflects off of it not knowing what to say or address it.

Then there is her backstory about how she's the sole survivor of an attack that keeps getting expanded to reveal more tragic details to it. Which is used as her motivation for the multiple times she runs off into absolute danger without a second thought, any other series I'd think she's just suppose to be heroic, but when you pile on the survivor's guilt aspect as hard as Symphogear does I start thinking deathwish. Especially when she finds out that Gungnir is killing her, the reaction is, "well I'll just use it carefully then" even as everyone is telling her she'll die.

As for the Miku thing, I don't think she's intentionally cruel to Miku or anything. I just think when you have a reveal that the thing she says whenever Miku is standing beside her hospital bed is revealed to be from her dirt bag of a father that there might be something there for her to explore.

Then again I hate Hibiki's dad so maybe that's poisoning my reading of these events.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, you are. her father did a bad thing but he's trying to be better now. the thing he taught her to say isn't presented as bad, it's presented as something with actual weight and power so long as you use it as encouragement to keep trying instead of an excuse to give up. it's the thing that got her through her physical therapy when she was in near critical condition.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Hibiki's dad didn't really get as much time as he probably needed, but I never thought the message was "This lovely person is actually good." I read it as "this lovely person still matters and reconcilliation/redemption is still worth pursuing." Seems like a very Hibiki sort of beat to me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

a cartoon duck posted:

Just gonna spoil the whole post to avoid dropping anything.

I actually liked the designs and personalities of the GX villains and wished they had gotten a little more fleshed out, but they simply didn't get any screen time. That's a symptom of trying to fit major character development plot beats for every symphogear user plus an overarching villain plot into a single cour of episodes. There's simply not enough time to meaningfully focus on spinning all of those plates. GX either needed more episodes or it needed to be willing to let a couple of the users take a supportive role in the plot instead of every single one of them have a major issue to resolve. I would have liked to see a primary focus on Hibiki, Tsubasa, and Maria's problems because all three of their sets of issues in GX are basically foundational to the character involved and affect every action they make and word they speak on a profound level. Giving Chris, Kirika, and Shirabe a more supportive role in the story instead of insisting on giving them their own big highlight episode where they work through problems would give the other stories a little bit more room to breathe. Tsubasa's story especially got way too compressed for how insanely heavy it is.

Endorph posted:

This explains a lot, actually.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I've figured it out. The most over-the-top thing in all of Symphogear... is Dr. Ver's delivery.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

I've figured it out. The most over-the-top thing in all of Symphogear... is Dr. Ver's delivery.

LAAAAAAAASTO ACTSHION HEEEEEEEERO-DA!!!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
AI DESU YO

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Eela6 posted:

tomokazu sugita is good at that

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

graybook posted:

AI DESU YO

I still love Maria's mom just going "wait love what? I thought we were terrorists" at that line.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 25, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Ver was at his best for like that 2 episode span where Hibiki was his kryptonite and just seeing her made him go absolutely nuts. Nutsier than usual.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Just finished GX. I agree that the season felt way too compressed. They needed less action scenes & fewer highlight characters. Hibiki, Tsubasa, & their parental issues were the thematic core of the season, and they should have had more time.

I want Hibiki and Miku's school friends to come back next season, even if it's only for another song about Beef Stroganoff (Beef Stroganoff!!)

That said, I've had a good time. You could say it was as wild a ride as Yukine herself!

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 25, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

Just finished GX. I agree that the season felt way too compressed. They needed less action scenes & fewer highlight characters.

Yeah, I feel like they could stand to pick, say, 3 or four characters among the main protagonists and say "Okay, these are our focuses for this season" and let everyone else play support while those core few get the major development.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I feel like they could stand to pick, say, 3 or four characters among the main protagonists and say "Okay, these are our focuses for this season" and let everyone else play support while those core few get the major development.

You could have those support characters do some more slice of life stuff instead. If you took half the time spent on Shirabe, Chris, and Kirika's arcs in GX, let them do cute school stuff with it, and split the other half among the other main characters, I think the pacing would have been better.

What little slice-of-life stuff there was at the beginning of the season was charming as all get out. I understand why there was so little of it with the time stretched so thin already but I would have liked to see more.

Ed: I was going to vote for Chris in the poll, I was. But a true hero like DR VER cannot lose!

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 25, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

It's cooler that it doesn't.

Also you should watch at least the first 6 minutes of GX even if you aren't going to start on GX as a whole tonight.

It took me a couple of days but I watched the first 6 minutes of GX. You were right, I should've done that earlier. :swoon:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It took me a couple of days but I watched the first 6 minutes of GX. You were right, I should've done that earlier. :swoon:

Whatever GX's flaws, it gave us Hibiki punching through a mountain before suplexing a crashing space shuttle, and nothing can ever take that away from us.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the song from the beginning of GX is probably my favorite in the series.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Whatever GX's flaws, it gave us Hibiki punching through a mountain before suplexing a crashing space shuttle, and nothing can ever take that away from us.

I feel like I need to vote for Hibiki in the poll again after that. But I can't. :(

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I kinda miss Hibiki being a symphogear human hybrid, but am glad they did something definitive about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chumbler posted:

I think the song from the beginning of GX is probably my favorite in the series.

Radiant Force is excellent.

• Locked thread