Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lessail posted:

I kinda miss Hibiki being a symphogear human hybrid, but am glad they did something definitive about it.

Endorph mentioned back when I was first watching G, and I'd have to agree, that it would have been really cool if when Hibiki gets her arm bitten off, she doesn't get it back from magical Symphogear bullshit but instead gets a robo arm instead. Would give the event more lasting weight and also look rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Endorph mentioned back when I was first watching G, and I'd have to agree, that it would have been really cool if when Hibiki gets her arm bitten off, she doesn't get it back from magical Symphogear bullshit but instead gets a robo arm instead. Would give the event more lasting weight and also look rad as hell.

I'll agree on that as well. Either robot arm or just not getting it back at all would've been cooler.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat it, I think i've finally gotten to the part of Symphogear where Crunchy has stopped translating the songs. There was a song in Season 1 that wasn't translated at first, but it was in every other use, but 2 untranslated songs in 1 episode does not make me confident the same will happen now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SyntheticPolygon posted:

drat it, I think i've finally gotten to the part of Symphogear where Crunchy has stopped translating the songs. There was a song in Season 1 that wasn't translated at first, but it was in every other use, but 2 untranslated songs in 1 episode does not make me confident the same will happen now.

I've noticed that too, it seems that they're really inconsistent about it for some reason. Some songs were translated, others weren't

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah it's really weird. Especially since, as I understand it, usually when crunchy doesn't subtitle songs it's because of a licensing issue. Don't think that's the problem with Symphogear, unless it's found a way to run into licensing trouble on its own songs.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Whatever GX's flaws, it gave us Hibiki punching through a mountain before suplexing a crashing space shuttle, and nothing can ever take that away from us.

It's so good and so dumb. So gloriously dumb.

Symphogear posted:

"adjusting K2 to world's third-highest mountain"

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Eela6 posted:

Just finished GX. I agree that the season felt way too compressed. They needed less action scenes & fewer highlight characters. Hibiki, Tsubasa, & their parental issues were the thematic core of the season, and they should have had more time.

I want Hibiki and Miku's school friends to come back next season, even if it's only for another song about Beef Stroganoff (Beef Stroganoff!!)

That said, I've had a good time. You could say it was as wild a ride as Yukine herself!

We just finished 13 earlier in my group to catch one guy up for AXZ. Good stuff.

ALSO THIS IS NOTED IN DISCORD, BUT TO ANNOUNCE HERE:

SYMPHOGEAR XD UNLIMITED IS OUT FOR PLAY
DOWNLOAD IT THROUGH SOME KIND OF MEANS OH MAN IT'S TIME IT'S TIME IT'S TIME

e: Looks like my ID thing is 764,316,430

graybook fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 26, 2017

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Julias posted:

I've noticed that too, it seems that they're really inconsistent about it for some reason. Some songs were translated, others weren't

iirc GX was the first one on crunchyroll and a simulcast. The other two were brought on later after they got the rights to past seasons. That might have something to do with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtGqEKOSqOA&t=100s

new PV for AXZ. Shows off some new attacks mostly.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hibiki's drill and Chris's bow look pretty rad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like the song, and that the alchemists still summon zoids.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

Hibiki's drill is the drill that will befriend the heavens!

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Endorph posted:

I guess Alchemists can just summon animal representations of their school of Alchemy. Given that Carol had the Green Lion that devours the sun, I'd guess the trio are going to be Hermetical Alchemists. Given Symphogear I give equal odds on that mattering beyond it being a motif.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hibiki's drill and Chris's bow look pretty rad.

Slightly disappointed that Chris's weapon is so old-school, actually. It seems like more of a Tsubasa thing, especially now that she's starting to drift away from being Sword Girl.

I mean, she's used crossbows before, but they were fancy, high-tech repeaters.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Slightly disappointed that Chris's weapon is so old-school, actually. It seems like more of a Tsubasa thing, especially now that she's starting to drift away from being Sword Girl.

I mean, she's used crossbows before, but they were fancy, high-tech repeaters.

The way I see it, 1.) the bow's bound to be a supeer-lethal, one shot max-damage sort of deal and 2.) I like to think Tsubasa's rubbing off on her.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Spiritus Nox posted:

2.) I like to think Tsubasa's rubbing off on her.

*insert adolescent giggling here*

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Chris used the missile bow in GX - it's not new.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hibiki's friends are really cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hibiki's friends are really cool.

i love yumi itaba

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i love yumi itaba

I don't know their names but same.

Edit: I think i've finally gotten to the part of GX where the Symphogears stop getting systematically owned each episode and i'm glad for it.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 27, 2017

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know their names but same.

Edit: I think i've finally gotten to the part of GX where the Symphogears stop getting systematically owned each episode and i'm glad for it.

that's anime-chan

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

graybook posted:

that's anime-chan

She's good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
after how Shiori put one over on Garie, she is objectively the most superior.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
yumi is the anime one, shiori is the hime one that called hibiki a bitch once, andou is the butch one that was the first one to call hibiki bikki. they're all extremely powerful

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

yumi is the anime one, shiori is the hime one that called hibiki a bitch once, andou is the butch one that was the first one to call hibiki bikki. they're all extremely powerful

They should be around more.

Do Chris's friends have names? Do they ever appear again outside of flashbacks?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
remember the time Yumi pressed a button

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

TFRazorsaw posted:

It was just like an anime!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah it owned.

Edit: Like, sincerely. Hibiki's friends working together to get the power back on and then singing to power her up because they believed in her was a very good moment and a good use of the themes of the show.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 27, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I am not disagreeing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They should be around more.

Do Chris's friends have names? Do they ever appear again outside of flashbacks?

no and they're in a couple background scenes but otherwise no

i think they kind of got replaced with kirishira

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wanted to clarify that I was not being insincere because I did indeed remember it and it was very cool.

Endorph posted:

no and they're in a couple background scenes but otherwise no

i think they kind of got replaced with kirishira

That sucks because they were central to one of the best parts of G.

AXZ should have an episode or two just focused on everyone's school friends.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

shiori is the hime one that called hibiki a bitch once

...When did this happen? I forgot all about that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...When did this happen? I forgot all about that.

when she was tricking garie she said 'we have nothing to do with this bitch'

i think the cr subs downplayed the tone of the line a bit but she was actually using pretty rude language there so bitch is a pretty accurate tl

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

when she was tricking garie she said 'we have nothing to do with this bitch'

i think the cr subs downplayed the tone of the line a bit but she was actually using pretty rude language there so bitch is a pretty accurate tl

Ohhh yeah. Forgot that bit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tsubasa's family history just got ridiculously heavy in like a line. Geez.

Edit: How do you not translate this song? It seems rather important in this battle of philosophy!!!

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 27, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Here is the new opening on its own. Who knows if it will stay up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl3IQ62f0cg

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 27, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Looks like i've come to the end of my Symphogear journey. GX was a fun time. I was kinda worried I wouldn't like it that much since many seemed to regard it as the worst season or at least a serious step down from G, but I quite enjoyed it even if it does have some some issues. I honestly think they did a admirable job of balancing the now huge main cast, Tsubasa definitely needed more time for her stuff since you can't just resolve all that in half an episode, Chris kinda just went through the same arc as last season but with Kirika and Shirabe replacing her school friends and Tsubasa, and I don't think KiriShira really needed an episode about them discovering they worry about each other because of love and everyone also worries about them because they care, but I still thought it was decently done. There was some good focus on a lot of the characters some interesting dynamics and a lot of different characters interacted with each other and expanded on their relationships.

Hibiki like always had a good arc. Communication and understanding's been a big part of the series since season 1 but it was cool to see her struggle to forgive and connect with her lovely Dad, it's a bit more down-to-earth than communicating with sympathetic misguided terrorists or crazy murderers (though those were good too). I think her Dad may have got off a bit lightly but I think that part of her arc was still fairly well down, it was super personal and difficult for her and I think kinda shows Hibiki's a real tough and strong person more than all those times she delivered loving sweet knock out punches. Her and Miku's relationship was also real important through basically the whole of the season again which was nice because it's always been one of the best parts of the show. Maria was also a highlight. Since she only really found her resolve late into the final episode last season it was just good for her to have a lot of scenes with that new perspective. It develops her relationship with Tsubasa which I thought was pretty interesting the times it was touched on in G, and she gets good and interesting scenes with most members of the cast. She's a good mum. Also, Airgetlam is an incredibly cool relic even if it sucks it doesn't have a cape. Those two I think had the most solid showing but everyone else had plenty of good scenes and interactions with other characters. Chris as senpai to Kirika and Shirabe was a really good dynamic, Kirika and Shirabe themselves still have a fun relationship, and although Tsubasa I think had the most rushed development she gets cool moments with Chris and Maria and the only good autoscorer fight. Good stuff all round.

I remember reading some post that said the supporting cast got kinda shafted in GX and although Gen certainly took a back seat (no training montage. :smith:) I thought they had a good showing. Maybe a little bit more relevance than G honestly. Hibiki's friends still only got one scene of particular importance but it was good, and I think Miku had a bit more of a presence this season than last. She's not around for the final conflict which is super lame but there were lots of scenes showing just how important she is to Hibiki and vice-versa even if nothing quite as significant as her brainwashing occurs. Miku is very cool and the "gentlest fist in the world" comment in the finale was super sweet. With Elfnein joining Section 2's support team they're around for more stuff, she takes the bullet for one of them and there's a couple of scenes about how much they appreciate and believe in her. More stuff than they usually get. Speaking of Elfnein she's pretty alright, not super interesting but still a good character. I liked when Maria was mumming her and teaching her how to volleyball. I'm glad she got an outfit change very early on though. I really liked all the character stuff this season, if there was anything that slipped i'd say it was the action. Not because it was badly animated or anything but I didn't like a lot of the scenarios or stories around the fights.

The first half of the season has a really consistent trend of a gear user getting their rear end beat by autoscorers and noise then losing their relic and being completely defeated only for their enemy to mock them and just peace out. It's always super anti-climatic. There's some good drama in a couple of those scenes but it just follows the pattern surprisingly strictly and it's kinda lame. It gets even worse for those few episodes where Carol is out of the picture because while the Autoscorers I think make fine eccentric and unnatural minions who have cool and weird powers they just can't carry the story themselves. The water and fire ones go out in super lame ways because there's just nothing to their conflicts with Maria and KiriShira and losing is all part of the plan anyway, the episodes are more about the gear users growing up than the fights. And while the development is decent and fun the fights carry no weight. Exception being the wind doll because "my sword is a philosophical weapon" loving owns and instantly transforms the fight into one where character development is the express and obvious purpose and the conflict has meaning again. Still some good fights though and the final stretch of episodes is as wild a ride as ever.

Carol herself is a good villain. Not close to as fun as Ver but she's more relevant to the themes of the story and I can appreciate that. She touches upon a lot of the consistent motifs across the show and is central to a lot of the new themes GX is about like Miracles and Dads. Also, a harp is a really good weapon for the show and i'm surprised no one else has used an instrument as a weapon before. Ver is also back and while that's great because he's still super crazy and enjoyable he is just too generally effective and competent to be the Ver I love. He also sacrifices himself and gets acknowledged as a hero (albeit as "The Worst") and that's lame, him getting carted away yelling about how he was gonna be a hero if they'd just let him die was the perfect end for the guy.

Anyway, Symphogear is a real loving good anime and I liked it a lot. The fact that i've written far too many words about each season shows this fact. It was super fun.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 27, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I love Ver's 'worst hero' thing, honestly. It's a super nice cap-off to his character and kind of feeds into the whole theme of how anyone can be a good person or do the right thing if they're given the chance to and allowed to explain themselves. Just having him come back as a villain to be defeated again would have been kind of lame but instead his character is given actual depth on some level. And he gets to kind of learn what the entire point of his conflict/contrast with Hibiki is - Hibiki doesn't want to be a hero because she thinks that everyone is fighting in their own way, so instead of saving them she just wants to help them be the best they can be. Ver's whole 'heroism' thing is just an excuse to enforce his will onto other people. In GX his sacrifice becomes heroic because he's doing what the others want him to and letting Maria and Hibiki and the rest do the actual cool parts. It's a neat cap to that fairly underexplored bit of writing.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
What is the name of Yukine Chris's song from season 2? Searching for HA HA GOOO TOOO HELL has been less helpful than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Eela6 posted:

What is the name of Yukine Chris's song from season 2? Searching for HA HA GOOO TOOO HELL has been less helpful than I thought.

according to my phone library it's Bye-Bye Lullaby

• Locked thread