Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Tsubasa always fought Maria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The rivalries kind of fell apart after the first couple of episodes. They didn't really take each other on very much individually after F.I.S. escaped the abandoned hospital.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kiiinda? It's really confusing. Everyone's basically playing rival roulette. Hibiki and Shira are the only ones with any real payoff to that concept, anyway, but Chris basically doesn't have a rival and Tsubasa starts out with Maria and then switches to Kirika for like, the first episode of the assault on Frontier, and then Kirika and Shirabe solve their own subplot together while Hibiki steals Maria's Gungnir. And Chris and Tsubasa are fighting each other.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

The rivalries kind of fell apart after the first couple of episodes. They didn't really take each other on very much individually after F.I.S. escaped the abandoned hospital.

Shirabe and Hibiki was like a thing for the entire season.

Endorph posted:

Kiiinda? It's really confusing. Everyone's basically playing rival roulette. Hibiki and Shira are the only ones with any real payoff to that concept, anyway, but Chris basically doesn't have a rival and Tsubasa starts out with Maria and then switches to Kirika for like, the first episode of the assault on Frontier, and then Kirika and Shirabe solve their own subplot together while Hibiki steals Maria's Gungnir. And Chris and Tsubasa are fighting each other.

I know in G the only rivalry which is a consistent thing is Hibiki and Shirabe's (a shame because I liked the idea) but the opening and like episode 2 had Kirika as Chris's rival and then in GX when the F.I.S kids all give encouragement to the original 3 before they run off to Carol's castle it's Chris who Kirika talks to.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and the final episode pairs them off as Hibiki and Maria, Kirika and Chris, and Tsubasa and Shirabe.

In general it's all over the place.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maria and Shirabe have to switch because Maria's the main character of the 2nd trio and needs to hang at the front with Hibiki.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

G doesn't really play to stock rival team stuff in general outside of the OP. Hell, in the second episode FIS is all "well poo poo" after seeing the combined superb song.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There should've been a really cool Hibiki+Chris vs Shirabe+Kirika fight.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, the Tsubasa and Chris fight on the ship was pretty loving boss on its own.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

well, the Tsubasa and Chris fight on the ship was pretty loving boss on its own.

For a second I thought you just meant the part where Chris shot Tsubasa in the back.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
That was pretty boss, yeah.

I'm ready for the MEGA DETH PARTY

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For a second I thought you just meant the part where Chris shot Tsubasa in the back.

well they're more or less the same event.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Motto posted:

G doesn't really play to stock rival team stuff in general outside of the OP. Hell, in the second episode FIS is all "well poo poo" after seeing the combined superb song.

It's one of the second season's strengths, I feel.

I wanna say that GX does go the main rival route with the auto-scorers and is worse for it but I'm probably wrong because the individual auto-scorers are a blurry mess in my memory.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Well that lived up to GX's opening.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is an official site simulcasting this/subbing this or should I get hunting?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Crunchy could announce it during AX or in the next week or so, otherwise pray for Commie.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

just watching it raw was worth it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

commie or horriblesubs will probably grab it if it doesnt get licensed but yeah, crunchy has been weird about it in a way that makes me think they don't have it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought horriblesubs just ripped official subs from places like crunchy and such - hence the name gag.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I thought crunchy roll was going to simulcast this. Oh well :(. Guess I'll have to wait a little while to get some kind of English translation - I'm not (yet) crazy enough to watch it raw.

I want to watch the return of our hero anime-chan, her friends, and I guess those weird girls that sing and use Symphogears.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Commie getting it is the worst case scenario.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Commie's symphosubs are good

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

poo poo like "Heavenrend" says differently.

also, in season 1, their translation of "superb song" as "swan song" created a very mistaken perception of how those things worked, and when G rolled around, people were confused as to why they behaved differently.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 1, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not sure how 'heavenrend' is any worse than crunchy's myriad errors

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I haven't seen any Symphogear translations from them, but Commie's subs are in general really good

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Endorph posted:

im not sure how 'heavenrend' is any worse than crunchy's myriad errors

well, "Ame-no-Habakiri" is a real mythological weapon. That's the whole point of the relics.

It's like if someone did a sub of an anime with "Excalibur" in it and named it "Awesomeblade".

That's commie's problem. They make poo poo up for the purpose of being "cooler". When they did "Go! Princess Precure" they translated an entire character's dialogue like a british punk rocker's and changed a character known for speaking gratuitous english into one who spoke random french.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 1, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, commie's gopri subs own. The gratuitous english thing doesn't work at all when the characters are being translated into english, so changing it to french is a great call. And the british punk rocker thing gives him a way more distinctive voice than the generic goon speech patterns he had in Japanese.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's a "distinct voice" that doesn't actually exist and doesn't really fit him at all when he turns into the series' primary villain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it exists in my heart and is badass

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If it were adapting some kind of convention of his speech, it'd be one thing. But no, let's just change it for no reason like they're freaking 4kids or something.

And then there's poo poo like this. It's not even Siamour saying it. There's no reason to not just have Minami say "afternoon tea". It's just poo poo thrown together to sound fancy despite it not really fitting together.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Lots of things in Japanese can't be translated 1:1 to English and you can either leave them out entirely, add clumsy TL notes that no one is going to want to pause to read, or find the closest equivalent in English to try to get the idea across as best as you can. It's not "making poo poo up to be cooler", it's translating.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didn't like commie's subs for kyousougiga because the couple times where they just made characters yell "gently caress YOUUUU" was weird for the tone of the show and they translated a line as a guy saying "moral of the story: never trust adults" in response to the main character giving him attitude for expecting her to do all the hard work in his big plan when the actual line is him talking about his own mistrust for adults because he's an impatient child

but that's the only show i've seen where their subs bothered me and these changes sound good and in keeping with the tone of the shows

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 1, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's the thing though. There's nothing about Close's speech that lends to what Commie did with him. He's just coarse and rude. There's no element of translation to it, they just saw how he dressed and went "he's a punk rocker" now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah for real tho commie has some issues but if you're still tilting at 4kids over a decade after they've become irrelevant then lol

edit: also 'coarse and rude' is kind of boring so exaggerating his speech patterns a bit to give him more flair is fine. sometimes they do go too far with it but there are plenty of lines there that are actually solid and they overall make him more memorable than just 'the rude guy.'

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They don't need to "improve" his speech to make him entertaining. Close is amusing because of the situations he's a part of and the way he's written. He doesn't need someone to change his dialogue to add an imaginary accent to make him entertaining and memorable.

The 4Kids comparison was because it's the exact same shallow and distracting kind of "localization" they used to pull off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant believe they violated the purity of this precure villain by making him say 'cor blimey' once

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think the english-french thing is something xseed did with a senkags character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

I think the english-french thing is something xseed did with a senkags character.
it was also done in persona 3

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If you're resorting to exaggerating my point, then there's nothing left to say. It's not a matter of purity. It's just bad fan subbing.

Siamour's French in the Commie subs are also poor translation convention because everything she says in English is basic, easy to understand words that little kids taking basic English classes would understand, while Commie has her and other characters spouting it to a greater extent, in ways that aren't immediately apparent. If they want her to speak French, don't add it where it wasn't before, and don't make it something whose meaning isn't immediately apparent.

But if you want a better example of how bad at this they are, there's the infamous time they tried to convince everyone that "eoten" was a real word.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that sounds like a joke

e; ok i guess that's not a joke

• Locked thread