Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
What on earth is going on with Kirika's pants situation. "Do you want to wear shorts, a skirt, or pants?" "Yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Chris is so powerful that she managed to become the most powerful comedy straight man in a show with Tsubasa in it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Every day I think about the meaning of the phrase "Ha Ha Goooooo toooooo hellllll, it's super dakka time!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tsubasa and Chris have had way more interpersonal moments. Most of the Tsubasa/Maria screen time in GX felt largely professional rather than personal.

Maria feels like she simply hasn't gotten a lot of interaction with other characters in general because she spends so much time in her little personal "I'M WEAK" world. I'm hoping she gets to hang out with other characters more in the new season, along with Kirika and Shirabe having more time with other characters too; their little interludes with Chris were fantastic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Genjuuro taking Hibiki under his wing legit might be my second favorite character dynamic in the whole show. Genjuuro loves his job so drat much.

I also really like Ogawa and Tsubasa's relationship because he expends more energy trying to make her the best idol ever than he does being her government watchdog.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Maria is a deeply sad character in G because she's repeatedly forced into a role that does not fit her at all as a person. She's forced to project the image of a strong, steely, composed leader and big sister figure when internally she's basically a wreck of anxiety and grief who can barely function, and she falls pretty hard down the Sunk Cost Fallacy hole by listening to Ver; by that point, she's convinced that if she doesn't continue going through with Ver's idiot plan all the crimes they had to commit were for absolutely nothing. Ultimately, she has to deal with the only real power she's ever had getting pretty much ripped out of her hands by Hibiki when Hibiki yoinks the Dark Gungnir.

Thankfully they touch on her basically being a big old bundle of issues in GX.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

Honestly, I felt it's a good thing the good guys got comparatively less screen time devoted to them and their myriad issues since that meant the bad guy symphogear user chucklefucks got more screen time and we got to focus on their myriad issues instead.

It's the one thing that really made the third season my least favorite. By that point the main cast of symphogear users is already pretty big and it seemed like the staff decided that each one gets an equal amount of screen time and character exploration/development, leading to things feeling pretty thin and rushed. Also meant any side character not named Miku barely existed and I assume it's why they decided to make the bad guy squad boring robot people that are totally okay to murder, because they wouldn't have the time to flesh them out either.

Just gonna spoil the whole post to avoid dropping anything.

I actually liked the designs and personalities of the GX villains and wished they had gotten a little more fleshed out, but they simply didn't get any screen time. That's a symptom of trying to fit major character development plot beats for every symphogear user plus an overarching villain plot into a single cour of episodes. There's simply not enough time to meaningfully focus on spinning all of those plates. GX either needed more episodes or it needed to be willing to let a couple of the users take a supportive role in the plot instead of every single one of them have a major issue to resolve. I would have liked to see a primary focus on Hibiki, Tsubasa, and Maria's problems because all three of their sets of issues in GX are basically foundational to the character involved and affect every action they make and word they speak on a profound level. Giving Chris, Kirika, and Shirabe a more supportive role in the story instead of insisting on giving them their own big highlight episode where they work through problems would give the other stories a little bit more room to breathe. Tsubasa's story especially got way too compressed for how insanely heavy it is.

Endorph posted:

kaneko wrote gx under the impression it'd be the last season, which is why every character gets the resolution to their arcs crammed in

This explains a lot, actually.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

I think the song from the beginning of GX is probably my favorite in the series.

Radiant Force is excellent.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

It's been a while but I think Carol is still separate, just she burned up all her remaining memories to save Elfnein. I could well be misremembering, though.

I interpreted that scene as Carol basically being on the verge of turning into a vegetable by virtue of pretty much burning out her brain on Too Much Magic while Elfnein was dying physically, so they did a Dragonball fusion dance and created a new being which is the sum of its parts, neither fully Carol nor fully Elfnein but both. It would also gel with Hibiki's desire to save Carol despite everything.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Given Section Two's luck with Science officers...

It's actually a kind of interesting aspect of the show that after Ryoko revealed herself as Fine and turned against them, the protagonists haven't really had anyone who understands jack poo poo about how the gears actually function or how to maintain, modify, or repair them in any meaningful way. Until Elfnein showed up they were pretty much just crossing their fingers and hoping everything kept working.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, isn't there only like a month or a couple of months between the end of S1 and the start of GX? They weren't flying blind for that long, especially considering that the end of G was the end of the Noise problem till GX introduced the Alca-noise, IIRC.

The timeline was a lot longer than that, but even then, Hibiki had to deal with the horrible side effects of being a weird human-gear hybrid while Section had literally no loving idea how relics work. Like the only thing they could come up with was "maybe if you don't use it it won't get worse??? :confused:".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Five minutes into the episode and I'm already grinning like a complete moron. I had no idea how they'd top the intro to GX, but then I got to see Hibiki punching tank shells out of the air and Chris spitting out a bullet after no selling a barrage of assault rifle fire and I'm like "drat it, they did it again".

Symphogear is good, guys.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I went and learned to make webms because of this episode. Ep 1 spoilers, obviously.

https://my.mixtape.moe/ppcmgx.webm
https://my.mixtape.moe/ebgxdy.webm

:allears:

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 3, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

So I'm guessing we'll eventually get these three on board as our next wave of recruits? They're not the heads of their (clearly very evil) organisation, and they were introduced disintegrating the leadership of a murderous dictatorship, so it seems we've got leeway here by Symphogear standards.

IIRC the website backstory snippets for them have them as crazed evil male alchemists who were transmuted into immortal girl bodies or something to allow them to continue their research/service to THE ILLUMINATI, so they don't really have the "emotionally distraught young girl forced by circumstance to do bad things and thus redeemable" flag like Chris, the FIS girls, and Carol.

Plus I think that any more regular cast members would just lead to pacing problems like GX's becoming even more pronounced.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of singing - is it safe to say that Aoi Yuuki's grown into an unironically good singer now? She was pretty rough in the first season and G, but I really really like what I heard of her in episode 1.

I really liked her first season and G songs, but she's definitely matured. It's not surprising, since her vocal range is pretty incredible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Season 1 definitely felt "darker". Hell, we have people being dissolved in the very first episode. I kind of miss that tone, but I love the goofy fun we have now.

People get dissolved pretty horribly in the first episode of AXZ! I was really surprised when I saw it because the Noise have been pretty much joke mooks for so long that I had actually almost forgotten that they're 100% instantly and totally lethal to non-Gears.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's funny because even though S1 is really, really tonally different than the other seasons I still really like it a lot and think it being grimmer and sadder makes a lot of sense. The first two gears were Kanade and Tsubasa, both of whom were fantastically broken people in their own right - Kanade becoming a gear through a combination of jury-rigged LiNKER and bloody-minded devotion to vengeance against the Noise, Tsubasa a roiling bundle of family issues dependent on Kanade to function as a person. Kanade's death leaves Tsubasa alone in the world with no outlet for her personal problems, so she basically shuts off entirely and decides to become an emotionless weapon because it's way easier and less painful than dealing with her problems. The introduction of Hibiki to the mix pretty much slowly drags the rest of the cast out of the grimdark and into the happier and sillier style of Symphogear that we know today.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The sheer dynamism of Maria's attacks is amazing and I like that her being super flexible in combat is basically a character trait at this point. Everyone else sticks to a pretty consistent theme(swords, guns/bows, punches, etc) but Maria's like gently caress that, I'm going to add a tornado drill cape to my Gungnir and then my Airgetlam is going to bounce between punch combos to tornado drills to beam cannons.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

Well the main problem is that Tsubasa took the "sword" theme first so she has to improvise.

The Airgetlam isn't sword-based, anyway. It's just funny that she completely swerves from how the gear would obviously work. "Oh, I got a sword. Sword-based attacks. Oh, I got a gun and a bow. Gun based attacks. Oh, I got a bunch of knives. Beam Cannon."

I think the only other person who so sharply swerved in how to use a gear is Hibiki using a spear-based gear to punch people and that's mainly because she never figured out how to summon the spear and has just been improvising the entire time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lessail posted:

"You're looking at her!"

She makes it work and Gungnir itself doesn't seem to care much considering she's naturally attuned to it, at least. With the drill punches we're getting closer and closer to spear fists.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You know, I just realized that if the Illuminati helped Carol with the Chateau they're either dumb as hell or she duped the hell out of them because I'm pretty sure you can't rule a world that's been diced into its component segments.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

I wonder if we will somehow see some time shenanigans this season with everything the alchemists are saying about retaking history. But really I just want pirate Fine adventures.

In the context of them getting their asses kicked by Fine and losing their McGuffin in the flashback, I read that line as them talking about resuming control of the world again after several centuries of Fine freezing them out of any real influence or control rather than "we're going to time travel". I don't think they would WANT to time travel because then they'd go back to a time where Fine could kick their loving asses again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

(Spoilers for current episode)
https://my.mixtape.moe/twglxa.webm

I love this stupid show so much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Maria didn't even really attune to Gungnir, she made it work on a temporary basis by shooting herself up with Ver's linker repeatedly and then the moment she had her major clash with Hibiki the relic went "welp, I'm out, that's my real attuned". Airgetlam isn't truly her gear either, but the real attuned for it is dead.

The FIS girls are still basically just borrowing their gears at the moment, which is why they're dependent on drugs to even activate them. I'm wondering/hoping if that little flash of light when Maria was fighting the Illuminati meant that she and/or the others are going to attune for real through sheer usage/determination.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It would feel really weird for the gear users to replace their gears because as Endorph mentions there's a LOT of emotional attachment to a couple of them. Gungnir is hugely emotionally important to Hibiki and Airgetlam is hugely emotionally important to Maria. I also don't see Tsubasa being eager to replace the gear that metaphorically and literally gave her her wings to overcome being a sword, and Ichiaval is directly related to how Chris met and became friends with everyone. The gears are less a weapon that each user picks up and more of an integral part of their identity.

They're pushing the linker subplot really hard and Elfnein seemed to get some sort of spark of inspiration when Maria had her little glowing moment, so I would bet on any power up being related to that.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 19, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They didn't get a boost in G did they? Only in GX did they get a permanent upgrade and it was just a super mode. Not a permanent change to the gear.

They had the insanely powerful combination attack where they all used their superb songs and used Hibiki's hosed up gear hybrid body to channel the backlash in a constructive manner, but they lost access to it as Hibiki's health problems worsened and then she was cured.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well that's just a combined attack right? It's not like their gear got an upgrade to allow that they just combined 3 climax songs together using the power of holding hands. I don't know if i'd call that an upgrade since it was more the teamwork of the people involved rather than the improvement of the gears themselves.

The tri burst was a much bigger deal than the normal "let's whip a combo out of our butts" because superb songs were explicitly meant to be a no bueno inaccessible suicide move that have either killed or nearly killed everyone who ever tried to use one before the tri burst came into play. It also let Hibiki literally nullify other gear users because she could null their superb songs entirely.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

McDragon posted:

also give Miku a gear

I don't think they could give Miku a gear cooler than Shenshoujing, because that gear was rad as hell but it blew up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm honestly pretty meh on Shenshoujing itself. Especially in a non-villainous capacity - I don't think that design would suit a confident and mostly well-adjusted Miku at all. Give her a new gear, IMO.

A ranged, defensive gear with stealth and deployable mirrors that can deflect attacks and shoot noise and other stuff away from her allies from a distance is pretty Miku; I don't see her ever feeling right using something aggressive or melee-oriented because she's supposed to be the grounded, stable rock to Hibiki's fiery impetuousness, and Chris has pretty much every other ranged weapon on lock.

It would need a visual update to not have the mask/monster face, but it's not like we haven't had massive visual redesigns on an existing gear before.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 19, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

I can see the first season at minimum putting broader western audiences off if that's what you mean, and it would be a difficult dub.

Yeah, the first season has a lot of horrible death by dissolving and girls bleeding out of their eyes and Fine's Chris Torture Rack which are all kind of :stare: moments that would put a lot of people off, and you can't really skip S1 or quickly summarize it and have what follows be nearly as good or coherent.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

We've lived to see really, really blatant subtext just become text.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

graybook posted:

if they don't say "i am your wife and we are in a relationship" it's still subtext, because for all we know, that could be friendly frenching
gal pal gullet gulping

It's completely platonic! Just like sleeping in the same bed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

His power to never be on-model is still powerful and unstoppable.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

nielsm posted:

What's the chance LiNKER was just a placebo all along?

Probably really low, considering that we've seen Anti-LiNKER derived from the LiNKER recipe have actual, measurable effects on the attuned Gear users despite them not actually knowing what it was at the time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I forget. Wasn't LiNKER supposed to have bad side effects or something.

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not the LiNKER itself that's dangerous, it's the forcing of the body to boost compatibility rates with the Symphogear, and them not being able to handle the strain. The LiNKER developed by F.I.S. diminishes this and Maria, Shirabe, and Kirika have a higher rate of compatibility than Kanade did, so with those two facts combined they're more or less able to use it more safely.

The old Kanade-style LiNKER was pretty dangerous on its own, by appearances. In the flashback scene about Kanade's past, she was still bleeding everywhere and screaming in agony despite not having Gungnir activated. The Ver-model LiNKER seemed to pretty much eliminate the side effects, as the only time we see the girls suffering from using it is when they're trying to do something really dangerous or when the effect is running out mid-combat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Maria has always been good. :colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shirabe's ultimate attack is transforming into a giant robot so she's in no way the worst Symphogear.

Worst Symphogear is clearly Fine.

Fine didn't actually have a Symphogear. She was wearing the same Nehushtan Armor that Chris did before she had to purge it and pull out Ichiaval to not lose, just in a more complete form.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh, I thought the armour was a relic.

Worst Symphogear was Carol then. Her harp thing was like an actual symphogear right? She even had songs.

All Symphogears are relic fragments but not all relics are Symphogears. Solomon's Cane was a relic but nobody would say Ver was a Symphogear because he could use it. Fine probably could have had a Symphogear if she wanted(she invented the drat things, after all), but she specifically wanted the complete Nehushtan because it pretty much grants immortality if you can utilize it to its fullest and she probably believed she was so close to her goal she didn't need to reincarnate anymore.

Carol's Daurdabla was a "Faust Robe", which appears to be some sort of bastardized Symphogear ripoff powered by alchemy(specifically the memory burning style Carol used) instead of phonic gain. She just figured out how to add phonic gain on top of that somehow, presumably because she spent a ton of time studying the symphogears because she needed them to do the Ignite Module thing to finish the Chateau. The new alchemists in this season are also using Faust Robes, though they've been talking about them using the Philosopher's Stone as a power source to "nullify impurities"(such as the spooky magic of the Dainsleif), so they probably don't have the drawbacks Daurdabla did.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eela6 posted:

She wants to project the attitude of natural strength & confidence that Tsubasa does, but Tsubasa projects that attitude because she's not trying to project anything - that's just who she is. Maria is the oldest member of the group, but in some ways the least grown up; she's just a big ol' ball of insecurities who is trying as hard as she can. I can see how that might be annoying, but I find it really cute & endearing.

Yeah, Maria's character is that of someone trying really hard to be a reliable big sister, a caring substitute mother, a strong leader, and a brave and powerful warrior all at the same time because those are the roles that fate and circumstance forced onto her rather than because she is particularly inclined to be any of those things - she really isn't, but she's going to try her god damned hardest to do those things anyway because those things are all needed and she has the strongest sense of responsibility in the entire cast. I really like watching her try, fail, be lame, and still keep trying because that's who she is.

It's also why the scene in GX where Maria borrowed Gungnir and used it briefly against Garie is one of my favorite scenes in the franchise; Maria standing there resolutely and lecturing Hibiki about taking responsibility and using the power she was given by nature despite Maria bleeding out of her god drat eyes right after absolutely getting her rear end kicked against an overwhelming opponent was, in my opinion, basically the best moment in the series at showing off who Maria is.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I know i'm late with episode reactions but with watching G only a couple of months ago it's super weird this episode had stuff about how Nastassja helped the FIS kids grow strong since like her whole development in G was realising that the way she raised and treated the kids was hurting them and not actually helping in any way and wanting to change that since she did care about them.

Yeah, I didn't really like the revelation here being "Mom beat and abused us with a god damned riding crop, but was sad about it and it was totally for our own good. Love!"

Basically every bit of character development the FIS girls have gotten since their introduction has been them growing out of their trauma bit by bit and being allowed to live normal lives and make decisions for themselves instead of being disposable weapons, so this felt like some weird historical revisionism. Mom was functionally identical to Ver in that she had some (questionably) good intentions but did a lot of really heinous, bad poo poo in service of those intentions and while their heroic deaths served as some measure of redemption for their crimes, they were still Bad People. Seriously, Mom masterminded the opening of G where the plan was to threaten a giant stadium full of people with weaponized Noise, for gently caress's sake.

• Locked thread