Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Ver didn't really have good intentions. And Mom did figure out several episodes before she sacrificed herself that her methods and plans were kinda awful and actively detrimental to the wellbeing of people she cared about and sorta tried to walk that back. Like, the idea that Nastassja did legitimately love the FIS kids and they still consider her their Mom and care about her even though she was an exceptionally lovely parent is something i'm ok with. But the idea that the way they were raised was actually positive in any way is ridiculous, because not only was all that the reason why Maria goes through like 4 consecutive emotional breakdowns in G but Nastassja herself gets character development about realising everything she's done has done nothing but hurt them. It's real silly.

Ver and Mom's intention was the same in G - preserve the human race from imminent and seemingly unstoppable catastrophe by sacrificing the vast majority of it - it's just that they had different ideas about how much of humanity should end up being saved, with Ver being a particularly megalomaniacal dick about it.

I agree in that I don't think it's a bad thing that the FIS girls remember Mom with some degree of fondness; that's not really any different than Hibiki wanting to try reconnecting with her awful deadbeat dad, because even though he's a shitheel he's still her dad. I think it's mostly just a really poor storyboard here. Like Endorph basically said, the scene as written would have worked a lot better if the flashbacks focused on what good came out of Mom's harshness instead of a chain of flashbacks of Mom whipping the poo poo out of children constantly while looking vaguely sad about it. Nobody cares about Mom; she had a full plot arc and a redemption and she's been dead for two seasons now and even the FIS girls never really bring her up, so why is the entire flashback devoted to "Maybe Mom beating children was actually good?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wasn't Ver's goal to become a hero and "saving" the human race (and murdering most of them so everyone left would celebrate him and not try to overthrow him or something along those lines) was just his way of doing that?

Mom wanted to load up Frontier with as many people who could fit on it safely and use it as an escape pod, leaving the rest of humanity who couldn't fit to die. Ver wanted to do the same thing but with massively fewer people, thus becoming a hero by "saving" the human race.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

iospace posted:

The one thing I'm sort of... I dunno, disappointed about? While yes, the whole "OH gently caress HIBIKI IS FUSING WITH HER GEAR" arc was resolved in a good way, I'm going to be forever curious as to what would happen if it went all the way. Oh well.

Hibiki almost assuredly would have died if it progressed any farther.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caught up on the last two episodes. Ep 8 was good and I liked it a lot. Ep 9 I didn't like as much; the subject matter was fine, but I really hated the fight because the Gears were fighting someone who was pretty clearly attempting to run away/yelling vital information at them and their response wasn't to try to beat up/disable the bad guy, it was to go whole hog and loving kill them, without commenting or trying to follow up on the weird/suspicious things said villain was yelling during the fight that should make them go "Huh, what do you mean sacrifices?".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 7, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah should note that it was only really Hibiki that cared about talking with and understanding the villains.

I don't know, I put a line between Hibiki's brand of "I want to save everyone, even Hitler, no matter what" and "This alchemist isn't really fighting us like before, is apparently trying to get somewhere in a hurry, and is saying some strange things; maybe we should make an attempt to detain her to get more information about these villains we don't really know enough about". It just seemed odd that nobody acknowledged that Prelati was acting weird compared to the previous times they fought her.

The Cagliostro episode made more sense to me because Cags was acting pretty much identical to every other time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sindai posted:

I enjoy the existence of the Japanese Supernatural Defense Department because it implies this kind of crazy stuff has been happening constantly.

I mean, they basically stated that the world has been a battleground for supernatural assholes since the dawn of man. The Noise first appeared sometime around the time of Babylon iirc, and the symphogear relics are all chips of various legendary magical weapons from places all over the world except they actually existed in this setting, and we got that sweet shot of the Illuminati having a rumble with Pirate Fine several centuries ago.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I finally knocked out the last four episodes and I'm mostly satisfied. A few thoughts:
  • The "Gungnir is a philosophical weapon that kills gods" thing was the funniest reveal so far in Symphogear. I love it to death.
  • I felt like the "Hibiki turned into a chrysalis and then a monster" thing dragged out for a little bit too long for how little it ultimately mattered/how easily it was resolved; it gave us a great "Miku is our ultimate weapon" moment and a really cute Hibiki/Miku moment, but I would have liked it more if she had stomped around a little or gone on a bit of a rampage before Miku stopped her. It just felt framed weirdly because it didn't feel like a terribly desperate situation at all aside from that one time where Maria had to stop her from ganking the tanks.
  • I'll go against popular opinion and say that I liked Adam as a main villain. He's just such a god damned idiot dork Oddjobbing people with his fedora and running around waving his severed arm while yelling about perfection that I can't help but love him, and his final form was a lot more visually interesting in a fight than any of the other Final Symphogear Boss enemies we've seen so far. His death line was also boss as hell.
  • The final fight was my favorite final fight in the series, but not my favorite fight period; that probably still goes to Miku vs Hibiki.
  • The alchemists randomly not being dead with a throwaway "we faked our own deaths and then opted to not show up again at all until this climactic moment with an item to resolve this particular crisis" was awkward and badly done, but I'm really happy with the decision to give them a noble sacrifice that actually aligns perfectly with Saint-Germain's ideals.

Overall, my personal ranking would probably be S1 > G > AXZ > GX.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I trust the calculations of the team who managed to put three magical girls into low orbit at a precise enough angle to intercept a falling space shuttle more than I trust someone analyzing a picture. :colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I really liked Ignite in S3 because it had this great "desperate deal with the devil" thing going on where it was a necessary powerup fraught with horrible side effects and was clearly a Not Good Thing, making the gears look extremely sinister when it activated and twisting their normal songs into evil dubstep metal remixes with significantly more angry/aggressive lyrics.

I wasn't a big fan in AXZ because it was treated as just another generic powerup without any of the things that made it interesting and unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Aoi Yuki is a treasure.

• Locked thread