Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This show is fun! I don't know if I would call it 'Good' but I just finished the second season and I've had a good time.

I hope there are more hibiki training monrages in the future, they've been the best part of both seasons.

Every time Chris says something like 'this is my cross to bear' I giggle a little bit. No poo poo, you're the only Chris-chan in the whole show! I don't know if the pun is intentional but it works for me.

I think if the actual music was more my style I would love this. The only songs that have really stood out to me are Chris' absurd songs, mostly for the lyrics. Girl's got issues.

Kirika is adorable.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Genjuuro taking Hibiki under his wing legit might be my second favorite character dynamic in the whole show. Genjuuro loves his job so drat much.

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop on Genjuuro and I'm so much happier it never did. He's just a cool dude who likes action movies and teaching important life lessons, like how to punch giant boulders.

Everyone could use a role model like that.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
On the contrary, Hibiki stealing Maria's gugnir is bad because when Maria had it she had a really sweet cape.

Having watched the first 6 minutes of season 3 I can confirm that they are pretty cool.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I've figured it out. The most over-the-top thing in all of Symphogear... is Dr. Ver's delivery.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Just finished GX. I agree that the season felt way too compressed. They needed less action scenes & fewer highlight characters. Hibiki, Tsubasa, & their parental issues were the thematic core of the season, and they should have had more time.

I want Hibiki and Miku's school friends to come back next season, even if it's only for another song about Beef Stroganoff (Beef Stroganoff!!)

That said, I've had a good time. You could say it was as wild a ride as Yukine herself!

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 25, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I feel like they could stand to pick, say, 3 or four characters among the main protagonists and say "Okay, these are our focuses for this season" and let everyone else play support while those core few get the major development.

You could have those support characters do some more slice of life stuff instead. If you took half the time spent on Shirabe, Chris, and Kirika's arcs in GX, let them do cute school stuff with it, and split the other half among the other main characters, I think the pacing would have been better.

What little slice-of-life stuff there was at the beginning of the season was charming as all get out. I understand why there was so little of it with the time stretched so thin already but I would have liked to see more.

Ed: I was going to vote for Chris in the poll, I was. But a true hero like DR VER cannot lose!

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 25, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Whatever GX's flaws, it gave us Hibiki punching through a mountain before suplexing a crashing space shuttle, and nothing can ever take that away from us.

It's so good and so dumb. So gloriously dumb.

Symphogear posted:

"adjusting K2 to world's third-highest mountain"

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtGqEKOSqOA&t=100s

new PV for AXZ. Shows off some new attacks mostly.

Hibiki's drill is the drill that will befriend the heavens!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Chris used the missile bow in GX - it's not new.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

TFRazorsaw posted:

remember the time Yumi pressed a button

It was just like an anime!!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
What is the name of Yukine Chris's song from season 2? Searching for HA HA GOOO TOOO HELL has been less helpful than I thought.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Just the CIA and MI5.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Kanos posted:

I interpreted that scene as Carol basically being on the verge of turning into a vegetable by virtue of pretty much burning out her brain on Too Much Magic while Elfnein was dying physically, so they did a Dragonball fusion dance and created a new being which is the sum of its parts, neither fully Carol nor fully Elfnein but both. It would also gel with Hibiki's desire to save Carol despite everything.

This was my take, fwiw.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Dzhay posted:

Maybe Symphogear tech is so nuts that they've just given up on finding anyone sane who can work with it.

Their personality test for new applicants is "what's the largest thing you want to blow up?"; if the answer is smaller than "Australia", they're in.

Yukine Chris gets grandfathered in, I suppose.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, isn't Kirika portrayed as Chris's rival? Not that that gets anymore emphasis.

Yeah. It was Kirika Vs Chris, Shirabe Vs Biki, Maria Vs Tsubasa.

Well I for one am stoked for this dumb gay show. I thought I didn't care for the music that much but there's been a dangerous about of Symphogear being played in my car lately, so I guess I do?

even though Dr. Ver is super dead I want him to come back. He's the hero we deserve.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
That was pretty boss, yeah.

I'm ready for the MEGA DETH PARTY

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I thought crunchy roll was going to simulcast this. Oh well :(. Guess I'll have to wait a little while to get some kind of English translation - I'm not (yet) crazy enough to watch it raw.

I want to watch the return of our hero anime-chan, her friends, and I guess those weird girls that sing and use Symphogears.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

chumbler posted:

Absolutely. I am torn between Brooklyn accent and valley girl, though.

Wrong. South Boston accent. It would be wicked.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

some rando subbed episode 1. no subs for the songs though. it's on si.

edit: they are lovely speedsubs, also. That said they aren't the WORST ever. just kinda bad. if you were around during early/mid-2000s fansubbing you've seen way worse.

What is SI? I just got back into anime and have only used crunchyroll.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Thank you!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Man, that was great. The action seems to be a lot better this season! I'm excited to see what they do with Chris this season.

The new dress uniforms with the color coded ties are pretty sweet.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Phobophilia posted:

Animation looked really nice. Whoo! Symphogears team up with the Globalists to gently caress up South American Nazis.

(((Yukine Chris)))

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

TFRazorsaw posted:

Maria has finally completed her evolution into a soccer mom. She drives an actual van.

Soon she will be showing up ahead of missions with orange slices and bottled water for everyone.

We can only hope. She's seamlessly moved from fussing over Kirika and Shirabe to fussing over everyone and everything.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

TFRazorsaw posted:

"Chris, have you been eating right? Kirika and Shirabe tell me all they ever see you eat is carbs and junk food."

I just saw the S2 OVA
:allears:

I actually really liked Maria this episode. She's a lot more fun when she's not locked in the same pity party over and over.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

chumbler posted:

I started rewatching the series as a result, and boy howdy I forgot how much of a creeper Ryouko was to Hibiki as well. And the part where Genjurou defeats Tsubasa's largest sword with one punch.

I am glad some of the creepier/pervier elements of season 1 have vanished into the ether. The tone is much better now.

Though, I do miss when Genjurou would do things....

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Phobophilia posted:

Okay i think this show finally, really, has found its footing. The first 3 seasons, there was always an imperfection to the sheen. From the grimdarkness of S1, the penchant for plot twists in S2, the meandering of S3, there was always something holding Symphogear back from true greatness. And now the show has found it, perfect blend of absurdity and character.

It helps that the show looks loving great, not an off model moment to be seen.

Also, I'm just waiting for a hilariously tasteless moment where count up all 6 million jews who died in the holocaust for Hitler and Val Verde's magic ritual.

Yeah, this is awesome. The characterization is solid, the spectacle is ALL THE WAY, & the action finally feels good, too. There's a sense of momentum and urgency that wasn't there before. The Symphogears aren't just sitting around waiting for their opponents to use their strongest attacks; they're actively trying to take control of the conflict.

Even the music is better than usual! I like the simple John Carpenter style synthwork they're using for some of the incidental background music.

It's cool that Symphogear has really come into it's own.

chumbler posted:

I hope the eventual specials contain the adventures of pirate Fine.

Phobophilia posted:

Also lmao that they admitted that the Bavarian Illuminati finally engineered the destruction of the United States.

:same:

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 10, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

UP AND ADAM posted:

I think it's a little early to say anything about characterization.

Maria is double extra cute so far :c00lbert:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hibiki was, is, and always will be the strongest and the coolest.

GO TO HELL

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Kanos posted:

In the context of them getting their asses kicked by Fine and losing their McGuffin in the flashback, I read that line as them talking about resuming control of the world again after several centuries of Fine freezing them out of any real influence or control rather than "we're going to time travel". I don't think they would WANT to time travel because then they'd go back to a time where Fine could kick their loving asses again.

That's what I got, too. The Illuminati was doing well for a while, then Finé starting coming back and wrecking their plans, so they had to lie low again. Now that she (and Carol) are out of the way, the Illumnati are here to make [B|P]avaria great again.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 13, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Excuse me - Maria might have adopted some kids but I saw Tsubasa on one date in this episode, and it wasn't with Maria. :colbert:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Tsubasa goes on occult business trips with Maria, but she goes to the diner for milkshakes with Chris.

Tsubasa you dog! :argh:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Lessail posted:

ok how many more episodes of

"we're useless without linker it sucks"
"i suck because i can't make the linker"

are we going to have

Hasn't bugged me so far. Honestly I kind of like it; it's a good excuse to let the action focus on the big 3 for now. The scenes are short enough they don't bug me.

graybook posted:

Dr. Ver's LiNKER recipes are the new Dainsleif

:bisonyes:

(:kirikadess:? Kirika's big ol' hug with Maria was very sweet.)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Demicol posted:

Giving Genjuuro a gear would just let him beat all the villains by himself and end the series.

Every single one of his songs would be a cheesy-as-hell 80s power ballad. It would be too powerful.

Dzhay posted:

Give a gear to the girl who says this is like an anime.

And the definitely-still-alive Dr Ver.

Now this is cooking with gas. I want Dr. Ver to be alive. It doesn't make any sense and I don't care. Dr. Ver is the hero of our times.

Ed: The return of Dr. Ver was the best part of GX. I literally fistpumped and shouted "yes!"

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 19, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I will also accept him showing up like Dr. Light in hologram-capsule form to give Kirika & Co LINKer.

(Kirika is Megaman X because she is Xtreme)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Lessail posted:

AS would probably show a metal magical boys anime

hmmm, that would be cool

I would watch the hell out of that

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

graybook posted:

(E4 shitpost spoiler just in case)

i heard adam weishaupt had an 8 pack. that adam weishaupt was shredded

Subs are up.

Shredded is putting it lightly. Guess the show's moving into equal-opportunity fanservice.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
^^
I like this new trend of extremely cool poo poo popping off all the time.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
When you watch the new one, stick around after the credits.

I'm glad they came up with a way to bring him back. You can never kill the Ver inside your heart.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Is there a place to get Symphogear merch that's not super creepy? The only thing I've found is a shirt with

on it, which is cool but I'd rather have the main trio. I like Maria and all but she's no Yukine Chris.

On that note, I re-watched a lot of S1 and it holds up a lot better on a second viewing. The first few episodes are still rough, but they're there for a reason, and there's a lot of small touches to S1 that aren't carried forward into the later seasons that make it something special. I really enjoy how Kanade's leiftmof underscores the whole season - there's a ton of different takes on the same theme that underscore the powerful emotional beats between Hibiki & Tsubasa. One thing I loved from the first season is how all of Section 2's 'technical' equipment looks like mixing boards and other sound production equipment; the guys at base seem like they could be in a DJ booth. That's something I wish they would bring back.

I can't believe I ever lied to myself about this show. It is so good.

While searching for merch I found this piece of fanart:

It breaks my heart that this is not real. I noticed that there's three versions of Maria here. I assume one is Black Gugnir Maria, one is Airgetlám Maria, but what's the third? Evil fake Maria from the end of S3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Dzhay posted:

Me from the past doesn't know how right he was. Why are the commander and Tsubasa even working with this guy, let alone treating him like he's a loving king? He runs a minor government department that just got all its poo poo wrecked - you don't need this guy on-side.

Literal daddy isssues

^^Nice catch, Endorph

• Locked thread