Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
So, here's my predictions.

The Gears (-Kirika) will show up and ineffectually battle Hibiki.
She will need to be taken out by Gungnir, which they don't have (since hibiki has it).
Maria will psych herself up to take it back, but fail. Such is Maria's lot in life.

Miku and Kirika will show up and appeal to the 'real' Hibiki, and somehow get Gungnir from her.
Miku & the gears will use the spear to activate X-Drive and fight Hibiki. (I don't know who uses the spear - probably Miku, but maybe St. Germaine?)
With X-Drive & Gungnir hey will "destroy" Hibiki, but it's a fake-out; Miku believes that Hibiki's fist only destroys evil, and Hibiki ain't evil

Chris will be alone, forever.

Ed: I hope the last episode has a Tsubasa concert as part of the epilogue.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sindai posted:

Germaine is going to sacrifice herself somehow. We've already got an alchemist, don't need another.

:agreed: (though fwiw I like St Germaine a lot more than elfnein)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Easier to make work than "lol the best character in the show is gone forever now" at least, lol

But they've already done this???

:rip: Dr Ver

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

iospace posted:

counterpoint: Kanade was killed in Ep 1.

What are you, Kanadian? :rimshot:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
"hey what's the most exciting thing you have planned for your birthday"

Me: don't say watching Symphogear raws

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

iospace posted:

I'm not satisfied :smith:

I mean, given the series, yeah, it fits. But I was expecting more epic poo poo.

e: I think the big thing for me is that the entire episode feels very rushed, from a plot standpoint.

Agreed. This episode didn't do it for me. Any of the individual beats could have been fine, but together it just kind of felt like a mess, and not in the good way. On paper, the alchemists joining together in song to stop a trump-fired missile is quality Symphogear insanity, but in an epsisode with so much else going on it felt meh.

I hope in season 5 someone actually blows up the moon.

I'm not ready for anime Trump. It just makes me uncomfortable.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hibiki is still basically the best and greatest character. Maybe in anything ever?!?

She's pretty close! If she were the world's greatest (self-proclaimed) psychic as well as the world's greatest friend, she could get there.

She has the best attitude of any character ever, though!

Endorph posted:

tbh id take a slightly rushed conclusion over gx's which was interminable

Am I the only one who liked GX's conclusion fine? It was the middle of GX that dragged for me, I liked the end! I guess I'm easily amused by flashing lights & music (and X-Drive)

chumbler posted:

I want one of them to pick up and use Saint Germaine's gun as an ongoing thing.
Chris, now is your chance!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked it because it had been seasons since the idea of using songs to form connections with people from different countries had been a big part of Symphogear and that was a really good theme that I thought had been forgotten about and i'm glad it got some play. The fact that just some dudes from (I think?) America decided to help out and give useful info because the gang had not even really on purpose formed some bonds with them was cool and in a way a greater showcase of Hibiki's ability to join hands with anyone than her continued ability to become friends with all the villains not named Ver or Adam.

Yeah, I thought that was rad. I like that the Symphogears were rewarded for going out of their way to save people. It's just a feel-good moment.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

TFRazorsaw posted:

You probably shouldn't believe in Kirika, dess

TFRazorsaw posted:

Kirika is dumb dess

d-d-death!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Kirika's 'edge' is mostly in her dress sense.

Endorph posted:

edit: also how quickly we forget kirika's hoodie with the devil horns.

I never forgot. It's so cute!

Give everyone more casual outfits. Tsubasa should wear a cool hat again!

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 28, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Helter Skelter posted:

I think that was a pretty alright finale to an overall very good season.

:yeah:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Most importantly Hibiki finally gets a Named Attack!!!!!! Almost cancels out the lack of a concert, which is still a pretty huge miss imo.

:yeah:: :yeah:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Adam is probably the weakest villain Symphogear's had but still a very fun time.

I liked Adam more than Carol. He's consistently such a weird abusive rear end in a top hat. He at least provoked an emotion, even if it's just 'gently caress this guy'.

iospace posted:

But seriously, I think the implication here, especially with Hibiki using the other gear's power is that both her and Miku are able to use any Gear that is out there.

Give Miku every gear

ED: Once again Symphogear ain't nothing to gently caress with. Can't wait for Symphogear RZA!

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 2, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Edit: Also can we talk about how it's now canon that Hibiki and Miku's love for each other has literally cleansed each other's souls and made each other clean?:swoon:

I loving love Symphogear

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

TFRazorsaw posted:

Symphogear villain rankings:

5. Adam
4. Carol
3. Ver
2. Fine
1. Itaba Yumi

n-no! it can't be!

iospace posted:

Ver was more entertaining than Adam.

I'm hard-pressed to think of many villians more entertaining than Ver. Ver is my favorite bad guy in forever. He's such an amusingly self-absorbed lunatic. Finé was, well, fine, but she's no Ver.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

iospace posted:

All hail our goddess

The OVAs for this season are going to be great

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like the first season a lot, but it's not as good as Symphogear G.

There's a kind of expressionism to the way Symphogear G works - 'realism' is decidedly secondary to emotional effect. The whole thing is like an extended music video. The Symphogears are 'on stage', and their actions are a kind of sophisticated dance.

There's a particular shot in episode 2 that I think is brilliant:

Only Symphogear would have FIS steal the spotlight by literally stealing the spotlight.

There's also a ton of singing, not just relic songs. Everyone but Hibiki gets a performance, and these performances often punctuate dramatic scenes happening elsewhere. The scene where Kirika and Shirabe are singing the Zwei Wing duet while Dr. Ver murders a whole bunch of soldiers stands out in particular.

Kirika is cute, dess

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's the rare sort of fanart that actually makes me wonder what the original designers think of it.

it's perfect

I can't really contribute to Pokemon Chat, I really only played the first couple of games. Hibiki should have Eevee because Hibiki sounds like Eevee and Eevee is cute.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Adlai Stevenson posted:

So let's say, hypothetically, that I somewhat intentionally pissed off a friend by tricking her into playing a game that's secretly horror and she hated it. We both like magical girl shows and I'm trying to find one that will appease her and get her to trust my recommendations again. Endorph beat the drum for this show pretty hard in the magical girl thread so I started watching it tonight.

I'm chopping my way through season one but some of the grimness of the beginning, especially the first episode, is cool for me but may make her think that I'm trying to trick her again. Does it mellow out a bit as it goes along where it comes to screaming children getting turned to ash as their dreams explode around them? Because otherwise the music and the action is pretty dope. Also I accidentally watched episode one of season 3 first because I'm easily confused by Crunchy's layouts and I want my friend to eventually see K2 get punched so hard a spaceship safely flies through it.

Yes. I find the tone mellows out by episode 7.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
When will the OVAs come out?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Kylra posted:

Good av

thanks! its a small thing but it brightens up my day

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Aoi Yuki posted:

Well I remember being told by the Sound Director “Please yell, but please also sing” and thinking “What does that mean!?” (Laugh) But I remember watching the finished product and it really made me think “This is Symphogear." It truly was an emotional set of episodes.

Thread title for next season?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ignite makes the music worse and i'm not a fan.

It does, but I love it anyways. it's so extreme....

I like the look of the new gears and I think an excuse to retire ol' Dainslef is just fine.

if we're going to throw back to precious designs, give Maria a big white cape!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Part of it is just that I usually think Dubstep is lame anyway. :shrug:
Even if it's not your jam, if you listen to something enough, you get an ear for what works and what doesn't. Ignite doesn't work as dubstep or extreme metal, in my opinion.*

Let's be real. Is there anyone out there who likes Ignited Radiant Force more than the 'real' one?

*music taste is subjective, of course, but this is something I know a bit about. I lIsten to a lot of techno, experimental electronic music, and various flavors of extreme metal, and I spent a ton of the dubstep era at various music festivals. I also made some hilariously terrible industrial metal back in college that I will not share with the class.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

graybook posted:

In the moment? Hell yes.

Death!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Excuse me, I'm pretty sure you meant "dess!"

:black101:

Lessail posted:

look whatever they do just keep the little robot voice around

dess!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

So good

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Subs are available for the first OVA!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

iospace posted:

Which OVA are we talking about here, the one between GX and AXZ?

Yeah, the one accompanying volume 3/6 of the blu-rays

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Tsubasa has weird asymmetrical hair because it's one wing. Ein Wing. Because Tsubasa is one half of Zwei Wing.

Yes, it took me four seasons to figure this out.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Lessail posted:

It also makes her head look like a musical note

:negative: i am not good at noticing things sometimes

Tsubasa is great.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This is a fun live-watch blog for Symphogear! It's very tumblr, but I have really enjoyed it. So far it's only up to S2E10.

This gave me a lot more appreciation for the plotting & design of Symphogear. It's cool to see all the little details I never actively noticed. Eg:

Or that Genjuuro only got ripped after Kanade died:

Episode 1 Genjuuro:

Flashback Genjuuro:

Buff Genjuuro:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It turns out, it's not Symphogear that is dumb. It's me :).

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

that blog is just way too tumblr for my tastes. there's some interesting observations but then there's stuff like

and just insane obsessiveness about stuff like miku needing to not be a wielder/needing to be a wielder.

also weirdly obsessive about ver literally raping miku.
I don't... wait, what? :gonk: I got enjoyment out of it, anyways.

iospace posted:

Ver is dead.

Forever. :rip:

A man is not dead while his name is still spoken.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Only because Bikky is an action heroine

if Ver can be best girl, Bikky can be an action hero. break down the barriers!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I am insanely jealous.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Any idea what the turnaround will be between Symphogear Live and the Blu-Rays of the performance?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sindai posted:

Finally, time to finish punching the moon.

:yeah:

Tired: Pirate Finé.
Wired: Space Pirate Finé.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I really enjoy that Maria looks flustered in every single fanart she appears in.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

iospace posted:

Counterpoint:

this is an unnatural state

but it is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen