Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

It's actually a kind of interesting aspect of the show that after Ryoko revealed herself as Fine and turned against them, the protagonists haven't really had anyone who understands jack poo poo about how the gears actually function or how to maintain, modify, or repair them in any meaningful way. Until Elfnein showed up they were pretty much just crossing their fingers and hoping everything kept working.

Yeah, Ver was the only person in S2 who had any idea what the hell was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, isn't there only like a month or a couple of months between the end of S1 and the start of GX? They weren't flying blind for that long, especially considering that the end of G was the end of the Noise problem till GX introduced the Alca-noise, IIRC.
No? It's been over a year, Tsubasa was 17 in S1 and is 19 in GX.

It's kind of hard to figure out, but

Mayish 2012: The Cocnert.
Mayish 2014: S1 starts.
Mayish 2014: Tsubasa turns 18.
Augustish 2014: S1 ends.
September 2014: Hibiki turns 16.
October 2014?: S2 starts.
Decemberish 2014: S2 Ends.
Decemberish 2014: Chris turns 17.
March 2015: Tsubasa graduates, the rocket incident at the start of GX.
April 2015: Kirika turns 16.
May 2015: Tsubasa turns 19.
June-July 2015: GX Starts.
June-July 2015: GX Ends.
August 2015: Maria turns 22.
August 2015: AXZ starts.

There's some things about this that don't make sense, like the weather and the fact that Shirabe somehow didn't have a birthday even though hers is in February, which might put G somewhere in february but doesn't fit with Chris not being 17 in G, but it's the general scale of things in terms of how much time passes. Also the year is just me guessing what year they had in mind since I don't think they ever specify.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

How much longer?

12 hours. airs in japan at 1 in the morning on sundays. it's currently 1 pm on saturday in japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If the numbers for it on Crunchy were bad, they might not have picked up Season 4. If they didn't pick up season 4 but still had the rights for the first three seasons, then either nobody else wanted the rights or nobody else coudl get the rights. Might go unlicensed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway today's badass symphogear lore reveal is that shirabe actually sings kanade's parts of orbital beat and kirika sings tsubasa's, which is cool because

A) shirabe is hibiki's rival, hibiki got gungnir from kanade (kirika is technically tsubasa's rival but wow does that not get emphasized)
B) it shows that shirabe is badass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kiiinda? It's really confusing. Everyone's basically playing rival roulette. Hibiki and Shira are the only ones with any real payoff to that concept, anyway, but Chris basically doesn't have a rival and Tsubasa starts out with Maria and then switches to Kirika for like, the first episode of the assault on Frontier, and then Kirika and Shirabe solve their own subplot together while Hibiki steals Maria's Gungnir. And Chris and Tsubasa are fighting each other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

commie or horriblesubs will probably grab it if it doesnt get licensed but yeah, crunchy has been weird about it in a way that makes me think they don't have it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not sure how 'heavenrend' is any worse than crunchy's myriad errors

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, commie's gopri subs own. The gratuitous english thing doesn't work at all when the characters are being translated into english, so changing it to french is a great call. And the british punk rocker thing gives him a way more distinctive voice than the generic goon speech patterns he had in Japanese.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it exists in my heart and is badass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah for real tho commie has some issues but if you're still tilting at 4kids over a decade after they've become irrelevant then lol

edit: also 'coarse and rude' is kind of boring so exaggerating his speech patterns a bit to give him more flair is fine. sometimes they do go too far with it but there are plenty of lines there that are actually solid and they overall make him more memorable than just 'the rude guy.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant believe they violated the purity of this precure villain by making him say 'cor blimey' once

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

I think the english-french thing is something xseed did with a senkags character.
it was also done in persona 3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean it technically is

anyway i'm not saying commie hasn't made mistakes or made some dumb calls, but their symph subs were generally good minus a few sticking points, and I liked their GoPri subs for the most part. And most official localizations for, uh, everything, do the accent/speech patterns thing to some degree.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMCj3R59S8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no but they should have her say gently caress a lot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, there's also the tone of the shows they're in, their roles and importance to the plot, etc. localization decisions should be informed by things like that too.

edit: also yeah i'd be down for chris to sound like labrys from persona 4 arena

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some rando subbed episode 1. no subs for the songs though. it's on si.

edit: they are lovely speedsubs, also. That said they aren't the WORST ever. just kinda bad. if you were around during early/mid-2000s fansubbing you've seen way worse.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 2, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, yeah, minus a few typos and [kirika being kirika] these subs are fine? Not amazing and some of the terms are weird but they're totally watchable. Unless you really wanna wait for song subs I'd recommend them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

What is SI? I just got back into anime and have only used crunchyroll.

nyaa.si. just search symphogear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

So I'm guessing we'll eventually get these three on board as our next wave of recruits? They're not the heads of their (clearly very evil) organisation, and they were introduced disintegrating the leadership of a murderous dictatorship, so it seems we've got leeway here by Symphogear standards.
Doubt it. For one thing they're not geahs, for another I don't think anyone else will be joining the crew. They might or might not get redeemed or turn good at some point but I don't think they'll turn into recurring characters like FIS or Elf.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Commie just put out ep 1 if you wanted subs with better typesetting. Not sure if they subbed the songs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

[shirabe being shirabe]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

their bios say that these are 'their ideal bodies' so it's possible prelati and cags always wanted to be pretty ladies and germain just alchemy reassignment surgery'd them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/883723281144045568

I absolutely love that Hibiki, Tsubasa, Chris, and Maria all have super intense training sessions while Kirika and Shirabe are out rollerblading and running.
really intrigued by the kirika/hibiki combo attack. wonder if they're going to give those two some interactions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lobsterman posted:

On the occasional dark tone, forgive me if this was discussed earlier, I couldn't find it, I'm a little unclear about something from the end of GX, which I finished rewatching like just a day or two before AXZ started. Didn't a SHITLOAD of people die to the dissection or was that an animation error/change on the blurays? Like Dr. Ver does his thing, the beams retract and all the BUILDINGS come back but nobody's inside which makes it seem like...it couldn't reconstitute anything living. But everyone acts like "Oh, Dr. Ver saved the day entirely, everything's all right now". Like, did everyone just decide to gloss over the fact that Carol killed probably hundreds of millions of people, depending on how many cities were actually in the path?
im not sure on the blu-rays but it definitely feels like the living people were supposed to come back just based on common sense. like for one thing the city they're in still has a population in the post-gx ovas/axz, so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Interesting quote from aoi yuuki, speaking of S1's tone differences.

https://twitter.com/zoid9000/status/884287412100255745

I think it'd have to be two movies to fit everything in, and I wouldn't want them to make S1's tone closer to the later stuff perse, but there's definitely some rough edges that a rewrite could fix. Plus it'd be nice to have S1 with the newer artstyle/better animation consistency.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best part of this episode was pirate fine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"What happened to that whole 'invincible' thing?"
"You're looking at her!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also its easy to miss but that dude in the top is very probably tsubasa's 'real' dad/genjuuro and yatsuhiro's dad. fudou. the fact that he got a name last season and there was that secne at the end of gx with gen and yatsuhiro looking at the sky kinda made it seem like tsubasa family drama was going to come up anyway

the... person at the end of the op also has very similar hair to tsubasa but they're facing away from the camera so its kinda hard to tell even their gender. the chestline makes it seem like a dude but who knows.

my pet theory atm is that s4 will segue into s5 by way of fudou or mystery family member popping up and dropping some bomb for them to hang a cliffhanger on for a cour or two, and then hibiki will punch tsubasa's family issues, repeatedly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

adam kazanari

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

You know, I just realized that if the Illuminati helped Carol with the Chateau they're either dumb as hell or she duped the hell out of them because I'm pretty sure you can't rule a world that's been diced into its component segments.
they might have been setting her up to fail for one reason or another.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

escape mechanism posted:

Pictured: another pair of heels meeting a gruesome end in a Symphogear show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

commie is good because they tl'd the snake joke in the second ep

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

whats up with the best girl poll without the best girl on it
youre right, i should have put yumi on it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

What was the snake joke?

'We can't snake this guy!'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They might get the cast newer weapons, but I don't think Hibiki's would change. Gungnir is incredibly important to her because Kanade, and she barely even uses the actual weapon anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They didn't get a boost in G did they? Only in GX did they get a permanent upgrade and it was just a super mode. Not a permanent change to the gear.
Technically their gears also evolved between S1 and G, hence the changes in costume and the new attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The songs are an expression of the user's state of mind, not really something that 'upgrades.' There's that gag in the GX OVAs about Maria having some song that sounded very Japanese after going to a festival, and while that's a gag ova, the gag OVAs are canon.

• Locked thread