Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hibiki Tachibana is a Hero who loves singing and cuddling with her GF and doing rocket-powered Kung-Fu and has a winning smile, what more could you possibly want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

I say "dumbest loving poo poo" as a means of praise

Like, you might say any well-done show is automatically intelligent; I'd rather say it's 100% what it wants to be, while at the same time having a delightfully thrashy plot and truly mind-bogglingly stupid characters, both of which feels intended AND entertaining. As such, I'll agree on "well-written"

Sensei better punch a giant boulder this time! :mad:

You are conflating "characters who are silly and larger-than-life" with "characters who are stupid" a bit tighter than is entirely necessary here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

The real question for AXZ: Will Chris actually get to fire her rifle this year?

The real real question for AXZ - will Chris get a girlfriend this year

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

What on earth is going on with Kirika's pants situation. "Do you want to wear shorts, a skirt, or pants?" "Dess."

FTFY

Also Chris looking dangerously fluffy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aurora posted:

Yeah, haha...best friend...

Well, they do say that marriage is the best friendship

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, you don't entirely realize until you watch the OVAs but Miku is actually really thirsty and it's kind of great

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

God I want a full season done up like the OVAs....

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Does Crunchyroll have all the OVAs as well or am I going to need to find them elsewhere?

Gonna have to find 'em elsewhere, unfortunately.

Absolutely worth it, though. All goofy SoL sketch-comedy bits with some surprisingly good character beats throughout. It's Symphogear by way of Hidamari Sketch.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Should have been more like "In the distance, the great power - a new console..."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You should definitely watch season 2 (Symphogear G) when you get a chance! It's my favorite of the three by a pretty considerable margin.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Hibiki being Entirely Too Nice is a massive part of what makes her character so charismatic and likable IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I feel like when Symphogear stumbles it's usually less due to actively bad ideas of where to take the story and more a matter of either allocating their time in an odd way or leaning a little too far out there with the tone. Fine's redemption is a fine idea that doesn't entirely get as much time as it needs to breathe. Fine torturing and exploiting Chris, even in a rather sexualized context, actually isn't a terrible idea IMO considering how Fine's whole thing is kind of a perversion of Hibiki's desire to reach out and connect with someone - but the camera's too leery and the whole thing is a little too hot to make entirely work.

G is noticeably better on both fronts, IMO, while GX has pacing issues but is probably still better than Season 1 in terms of tone and delivery.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Every day I think about the meaning of the phrase "Ha Ha Goooooo toooooo hellllll, it's super dakka time!"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

chris is dating tsubasa

:yeah:

Tsubasa/Chris is such a good ship that I'm kind of baffled that people seem to default to pairing Tsubasa with Maria instead.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 15, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also Chris is a more interesting character than Maria and most Chris/Tsubasa fanworks I've seen make Chris a mix of flustered and angry that I find really endearing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pretty much the only thing I really want from more Symphogear is for it to lean harder on character moments than GX did, honestly. Which makes what we've heard about AXZ starting slower and more SOL-y than previous season sound pretty nice to me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

Tsubasa and Chris have had way more interpersonal moments. Most of the Tsubasa/Maria screen time in GX felt largely professional rather than personal.

Maria feels like she simply hasn't gotten a lot of interaction with other characters in general because she spends so much time in her little personal "I'M WEAK" world. I'm hoping she gets to hang out with other characters more in the new season, along with Kirika and Shirabe having more time with other characters too; their little interludes with Chris were fantastic.

Yeah, Maria definitely felt the most underused of anyone in GX.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

All the Summer I need.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

I hope there are more hibiki training monrages in the future, they've been the best part of both seasons.

Genjuuro taking Hibiki under his wing legit might be my second favorite character dynamic in the whole show. Genjuuro loves his job so drat much.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop on Genjuuro and I'm so much happier it never did. He's just a cool dude who likes action movies and teaching important life lessons, like how to punch giant boulders.

Everyone could use a role model like that.

I love the bit in S1 where Hibiki asks "Hey Genjuuro can you teach me kung fu?" and Genjuuro basically just looks at her for a minute, strokes his goatee, smiles, and goes "Oh, I can teach you kung fu."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wow. Tsubasa picked the absolute worst way to handle this, huh?

Also, man Hibiki is so cool.

Edit: Oh My God, these people are so bad at handling Hibiki and Miku.

G has some great cliffhangers, but the one in this stretch of episodes where Hibiki punches a noise before even transforming and subsequently lets Dr. Ver know that he's come to the wrong motherfucking neighborhood is one of the best I've seen in terms of getting me psyched for the next episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

It also had the rad opening to the ED playing over it, making it even better.

Oh yeah. The way that synthline starts to swell and pulse as Hibiki transforms and gets psyched and Ver shits himself really makes the scene.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Did you just call Garie boring?

I sure as hell will. GX villain squad is largely quite lame.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

I don't think that was the resolution to her arc, at all.

Yeah. In particular, I don't see where you get the impression that Hibiki has a death wish. Self worth issues, sure, but I never got the impression that she didn't plan on making it back from a fight. I thought GX actually quietly did a solid job of showing Hibiki being more cognizant of and responsive to Miku worrying about her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Hibiki's dad didn't really get as much time as he probably needed, but I never thought the message was "This lovely person is actually good." I read it as "this lovely person still matters and reconcilliation/redemption is still worth pursuing." Seems like a very Hibiki sort of beat to me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

I've figured it out. The most over-the-top thing in all of Symphogear... is Dr. Ver's delivery.

LAAAAAAAASTO ACTSHION HEEEEEEEERO-DA!!!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

graybook posted:

AI DESU YO

I still love Maria's mom just going "wait love what? I thought we were terrorists" at that line.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 25, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

Just finished GX. I agree that the season felt way too compressed. They needed less action scenes & fewer highlight characters.

Yeah, I feel like they could stand to pick, say, 3 or four characters among the main protagonists and say "Okay, these are our focuses for this season" and let everyone else play support while those core few get the major development.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It took me a couple of days but I watched the first 6 minutes of GX. You were right, I should've done that earlier. :swoon:

Whatever GX's flaws, it gave us Hibiki punching through a mountain before suplexing a crashing space shuttle, and nothing can ever take that away from us.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lessail posted:

I kinda miss Hibiki being a symphogear human hybrid, but am glad they did something definitive about it.

Endorph mentioned back when I was first watching G, and I'd have to agree, that it would have been really cool if when Hibiki gets her arm bitten off, she doesn't get it back from magical Symphogear bullshit but instead gets a robo arm instead. Would give the event more lasting weight and also look rad as hell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah it's really weird. Especially since, as I understand it, usually when crunchy doesn't subtitle songs it's because of a licensing issue. Don't think that's the problem with Symphogear, unless it's found a way to run into licensing trouble on its own songs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hibiki's drill and Chris's bow look pretty rad.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Slightly disappointed that Chris's weapon is so old-school, actually. It seems like more of a Tsubasa thing, especially now that she's starting to drift away from being Sword Girl.

I mean, she's used crossbows before, but they were fancy, high-tech repeaters.

The way I see it, 1.) the bow's bound to be a supeer-lethal, one shot max-damage sort of deal and 2.) I like to think Tsubasa's rubbing off on her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

shiori is the hime one that called hibiki a bitch once

...When did this happen? I forgot all about that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

when she was tricking garie she said 'we have nothing to do with this bitch'

i think the cr subs downplayed the tone of the line a bit but she was actually using pretty rude language there so bitch is a pretty accurate tl

Ohhh yeah. Forgot that bit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I definitely left GX with the impression that Elfnein more or less ate Carol.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

It's actually a kind of interesting aspect of the show that after Ryoko revealed herself as Fine and turned against them, the protagonists haven't really had anyone who understands jack poo poo about how the gears actually function or how to maintain, modify, or repair them in any meaningful way. Until Elfnein showed up they were pretty much just crossing their fingers and hoping everything kept working.

To be fair, isn't there only like a month or a couple of months between the end of S1 and the start of GX? They weren't flying blind for that long, especially considering that the end of G was the end of the Noise problem till GX introduced the Alca-noise, IIRC.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

The timeline was a lot longer than that, but even then, Hibiki had to deal with the horrible side effects of being a weird human-gear hybrid while Section had literally no loving idea how relics work. Like the only thing they could come up with was "maybe if you don't use it it won't get worse??? :confused:".

Yeah, heh, that's probably a fair point.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought horriblesubs just ripped official subs from places like crunchy and such - hence the name gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I liked the premiere a lot. Looks like Chris might be getting a bit more focus this time around, which would be nice. The action is definitely as strong as the series has ever been.

• Locked thread