Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The small one is cute

That is the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

I can't believe the season just started and Hibiki and Kirika are already cheating on their wives.

Hibiki didn't mean anything by it. Kirika, on the other hand, needs to mind her wandering eyes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

my favorite is how the bios basically say they were both near-irredeemable crooks as dudes, but they changed completely after having their wishes granted. makes u think

I mean they're still international terrorists.

Not that that hung over FIS too bad, just, y'know, sayin'.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of singing - is it safe to say that Aoi Yuuki's grown into an unironically good singer now? She was pretty rough in the first season and G, but I really really like what I heard of her in episode 1.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Symphogear is not a stupid show, but it is a show that generally responds to questions like that with "hey man don't sweat the details so much."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

I think I dropped the original Symphogear after one or two episodes and I have no idea why because Hibiki is now my favorite magical girl. :black101:

https://twitter.com/SpiritusNoxSA/status/884544923420307456

:kamina:

Also, I really really really like the new ED. Seconding the hope for more Maria/Chris spotlight as we go forward. Also hope we take a bit of a break from the action sooner than later, these first two eps have been almost wall to wall punchyfists. drat good punchyfists, mind, but I like slice of life Symphogear too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

best part of this episode was pirate fine

If the next batch of OVAs doesn't include a segment on Fine's many wacky reincarnation adventures then what the gently caress are we even doing here

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

The superweapon has a trick where its state decoheres and it finds a reality where it wasn't punched to smithereens and recoheres to that state.

Except there wasn't one.

Every single world in which Hibiki and the superweapon were together, it was successfully punched.

Heaven help the alternate dimensions in which Hibiki's isn't the gentlest fist in the world.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

Yes, I agree. If your villains each season are always just better than the previous season's villain, it devalues all the previous struggles. Keeping the heroes relatively strong makes it feel like they've actually kept their growth, and with good writing the villains can seem more intelligent too.

Yeah. "Cliffhangers" like today's, with Hibiki or someone else streaking in with the cavalry to save someone else and goad the villains into Round Goddamn Two are almost always more fun to me than when the heroes receive a seemingly mortal blow like kept happening all the time in the first half of GX.

I bet the illuminati beat a tactical retreat fairly early into the next ep - Bikki's heroics seemed genuinely unnerving to them and she's presumably got two more fresh and rested gears coming in right behind her. Would be a good opportunity for the show to transition into slower character building for an episode or so.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You're not a full-fledged Symphogear until you're taking moves from action movies.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

also its easy to miss but that dude in the top is very probably tsubasa's 'real' dad/genjuuro and yatsuhiro's dad. fudou. the fact that he got a name last season and there was that secne at the end of gx with gen and yatsuhiro looking at the sky kinda made it seem like tsubasa family drama was going to come up anyway

the... person at the end of the op also has very similar hair to tsubasa but they're facing away from the camera so its kinda hard to tell even their gender. the chestline makes it seem like a dude but who knows.

my pet theory atm is that s4 will segue into s5 by way of fudou or mystery family member popping up and dropping some bomb for them to hang a cliffhanger on for a cour or two, and then hibiki will punch tsubasa's family issues, repeatedly.

It would definitely make a certain amount of sense that, if this season is indeed going to go hard on revisiting Chris' baggage, the followup would lead back into Tsubasa's. That'd be pretty neat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I was very glad when our heroines didn't have to blow up Saturn to get out of their latest mishap. The poor moon's already been hurt enough - let's not start on any other celestial bodies.

Also, Hibiki and Miku need to step up their game, or they're going to be out-coupled - Tsubasa and Maria have already adopted kid.

Excuse me - Maria might have adopted some kids but I saw Tsubasa on one date in this episode, and it wasn't with Maria. :colbert:

Fun episode, definitely feel like the new season is doing a better job than GX is of having the Gears and the villains trade blows instead of taking turns destroying each other, hope that continues. Curious to see what Adam's whole deal is.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

That long plane journey with just the two of them and a briefcase full of occult Nazi lore doesn't count?

Tsubasa goes on occult business trips with Maria, but she goes to the diner for milkshakes with Chris.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The final boss of the entire Symphogear franchise will be the world's highest pair of heels.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kylra posted:

Tsubasa's transform and song is so hype oh my god.

Also the technobabble would make Star Trek blush. Kudos.

Also also I just got to the episode climax with Trinity Resonance and I can't stop laughing. This is amazing.

I really hope they don't somehow pull a Macross Delta.

What's a Macross Delta?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Linker issue is mildly annoying, but the B team hasn't really missed a fight I really wish they'd gotten yet, and it sure sounds like the Linker thing'll get dealt with sooner than later.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

I don't think they could give Miku a gear cooler than Shenshoujing, because that gear was rad as hell but it blew up.

I'm honestly pretty meh on Shenshoujing itself. Especially in a non-villainous capacity - I don't think that design would suit a confident and mostly well-adjusted Miku at all. Give her a new gear, IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^ - if we're going to start giving gears to boys, Genjuuro has first dibs. This isn't even a question.

Kanos posted:

A ranged, defensive gear with stealth and deployable mirrors that can deflect attacks and shoot noise and other stuff away from her allies from a distance is pretty Miku; I don't see her ever feeling right using something aggressive or melee-oriented because she's supposed to be the grounded, stable rock to Hibiki's fiery impetuousness, and Chris has pretty much every other ranged weapon on lock.

It would need a visual update to not have the mask/monster face, but it's not like we haven't had massive visual redesigns on an existing gear before.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with the fighting style, just the design of the thing. Even aside from the big scary visor and the brain-jack in the back of her head, I'd like her to get something a little sleeker. Her halo was neat, but I didn't really like her big bulky leg armor.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

"IT'S TOO LATE FOR ME NOW KIRIKA! YOU MUST BECOME MANKIND'S NEXT LAST ACTION HERO! INSIDE THIS POD IS A LINKER UPGRADE THAT WILL LET YOUR MOUTH OPEN AS WIDE AS MINE"

The technology that allows Ver's upper skull to bend and distort, alas, has never been properly replicated.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also apparently Adam and the Alchemists have telepathy and apparently that manifests itself as physical objects. So that phone in Ep 3 that looked like it appeared out of nowhere actually did appear out of nowhere. Neat (if weird) touch.

...Or maybe just an after the fact justification for a continuity error. The world may never know!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

it was never subtext if the seiyus have been shouting it for years

Including literally in the show in the form of songs that explicitly, canonically reflect their innermost feelings.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Couple interesting threads introduced in this ep. Adam will almost certainly be The True Evil manipulating the much more sympathetic alchemists. More curious to see how they handle Granpappy Kazanari. GX clearly wanted us to at least try to empathize with Daddy Kazanari, but Granpappy seems to be framed in altogether more sinister terms. Wonder precisely what that'll build up to.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Apparnetly she did that on her own, actually. Her character bio on the website mentions that Adam basically ignores her and she wound up thinking that maybe he'd pay attention to her if she was in love with him, and if she had a romance she'd also be a 'person' instead of just a very specific device that he only needs once every couple hundred years.

Ah, it's an allegory for a different type of unhealthy relationship then.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

the show basically called his generation a nazi collaborator, i dont think it likes him very much

Oh, yeah, I wasn't thinking about it too hard but yeah he's old enough to have actually been involved with the whole "let's develop Symphogears for Hitler" thing Genjuuro and company get to kind of awkwardly shrug off, huh.

Like I said, curious to see exactly what kind of confrontation we'll have with him, though. Will he be In On It with Adam and the Alchemists? Or will he be a 3rd faction? Or will Tsubasa just get to call the old man out? We'll see.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Ver will never die. He lives on in all of our hearts, making progressively sillier faces as he transcends any need to be even vaguely on-model.

Also, I like how literally everything about Adam's design appears scientifically calibrated to make him appear as the biggest piece of poo poo there ever was.

Also Also - I usually shrug at most of the design work on trash Noise, but I actually really love the design of the Yamata-No-Orochi looking one at the end.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 31, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tsubasa isn't here Maria

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

im like 80% sure the girl hanging out with stefan at the hospital is the girl that hibiki saved by activating her gear powers in s1, which, lol

Ohhhh that's good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm going to go out on a limb that the show whose lore consists of a feverish haze of conspiracy theories thrown into a big pot and boiled to perfection is going to imply some unkind things about the government of Japan/The UN.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

"I took Ver's sciencey doohickey and modified it with alchemy."

Oh my loving god I hadn't noticed

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

Next time, on a Very special episode of Symphogear...

The Last Action Hero is going to tell all the kids not to do drugs

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kylra posted:

Grandpap dunno yet. Not enough info.

Well he hosed Tsubasa's mom so that he could have a sufficiently pure heir and went on to relentlessly shame Tsubasa and her whole immediate family for Reasons...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Breaking News: Symphogear Likes Butts

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ah

:negative:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maria is kind of a disappointing character tbh

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't mind her being incompetent, I mind her just being kind of boring. Like even in fluff/comedy bits she doesn't have a very strong personality to go on. Hibiki's Pacifist Goku, Miku's In Love, Chris is an edgelord who's bad at being edgy, Tsubasa is A Sword, Kirika and Shirabe are adorable chuuni girlfriends, Maria is...just kind of huffy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just watched today's episode.

It was....fine. Doesn't really resolve my overall boredom with Maria, but executes well for what it is. Hope we spend more time on Chris' stuff going forwards.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

Important plot critical revelation: Hibiki and Miku's matching heart shirts.

:hai:

Other important details:
-That BONK noise Prelati's hilarious giant weaponized Kodama makes whenever it hits anything.
-Maybe Hibiki and Miku's best joint scene since back in G?
-Kirika and Shirabe's incredibly thirsty duet lyrics.
-Adam being such a massive loving tool that he wears a goddamn fedora to the bath.

Really fun episode. Well-timed, too, after 6 was just kind of limp.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sounds like a challenge

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

good news, axz actually references the ova jokes in the main show. in other words all of the ova jokes are indisputably canon, even the goofier ones.

Chris learning gun kata from John Woo movies at Genjuuro's encouragement remains the best thing in the OVAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New Episode was extremely entertaining. That said I really hope Cags isn't permanently dead, and I REALLY hope Prelati doesn't follow suit. I feel like the show's handled them well enough as characters, but killing them both off would be...unfortunate.

• Locked thread