Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, Dr. Ver is *checks notes* still dead. :rip:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I marathoned it myself. GX was the weakest and could have easily been made longer if they wanted to do major character arcs. Though if the writers thought it would be the last season, I don't blame them for trying to resolve that. AXZ feels stronger so far.

That said, the tone and plot, especially in S1 and S2, reminded me a lot of, funny enough, Evangelion, just inverted in terms of tone. Enemy only specially equipped teens can defeat? Check. Horrible backgrounds for each one of teenagers? Check. Shadowy government organization of questionable legality? Check. Synch ratios (sort of)? Check.

Only one thing, Hibiki can't be brought down emotionally for more than 5 seconds, Genjuro is a loving boss and the cool dad of everyone, and while it's dark at times, there's still hope and kickass moments. It's "YES WE CAN DO THIS WOOO" vs "Oh gently caress, we're barely holding on".

The one thing I'm sort of... I dunno, disappointed about? While yes, the whole "OH gently caress HIBIKI IS FUSING WITH HER GEAR" arc was resolved in a good way, I'm going to be forever curious as to what would happen if it went all the way. Oh well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kanos posted:

Hibiki almost assuredly would have died if it progressed any farther.

I figured, but I'm curious what would the end result be if she didn't.

It did give us Grand Theft Symphogear, which was cool and good though!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, real talk, I was skeptical of the whole premise ("singing magical girls"), but I do have to give them credit, it was executed very very well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so I was thinking

This is entirely according to Adam's plan. He's not planning on using one of Saint Germain's supporters... he's planning on using her. Why bother with two alchemists who are powerful, sure, when you have an even more powerful one at your disposal. So he tells Germain that he wants to use Cagliostro or Prelati, which results in the trio creating a plan to grab the soul of a gear in one of their places. Given their involvement with Carol's plot, they know that the Gears can be upgraded, and thus only a matter of time before they figure out a counter to the Stones. So, the end result is this:

1. The "lesser two" of the three alchemists are eliminated
2. Oh look, there is still a need for either a large number of souls or one very powerful one.
3. Hey, Saint Germain, your soul is mine.
4. Now no one can oppose Adam at all.

tl;dr: eliminate the chaff, then use Germain like Carol did Ver.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eela6 posted:

I have found that if you try and explain Symphogear, even to people who are anime fans, it sounds like a fever dream of every single uncool thing about anime. Which, to be fair, it is; it's also fantastic.

Who wore it better?

Part one: yeah, it was a very, "uhh... what the hell?" sort of thing when I heard of it, but it's one of those "the execution is actually pretty good" shows.

Or, as the guy who got me into it put it:

Part two: yes.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 8, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lessail posted:

I'm ready for the Hibiki and Germaine unison

:same:

Also, I legit thought Kirika went kamikaze on that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lessail posted:

I hope it's a gun that fires a Hibiki fist bullet right into Adam's dumb face!!

:allears:

I'd be down for that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chumbler posted:

The most powerful hat.

Secretly a Touhou character.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, today is a certain Gear's birthday:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and that's an official 4koma, for what it's worth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Subs out

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH gently caress :allbuttons:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alternately (legit spoiler, DO NOT LOOK UNTIL AFTER E11):

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOU'RE A GOD NOW

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lessail posted:

What if God isn't aliens and is instead like the whack scientist dude in Gundam 00 preparing humanity to band together to greet aliens

So Dr Ver?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chumbler posted:

I think one thing we can all agree on is that the moon is turbofucked.

How so?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm placing the odds as follows (subject to change based on feedback):
-Hibiki retains godhood: 10-1
-MIKU INTERRUPT: 2-1
-Kanade coming back from the dead to bitchslap some sense into Hibiki: 1-1
-Goodbye, moon: 2-1
-Aliens: 3-1

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kylra posted:

:stare:

WHAT THE CHRIST

Welcome, my friend, to episode 11.

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sindai posted:

I support Hibiki for goddess because analysts say her girlfriend is 50% less likely to destroy reality than Madoka's.

Counterpoint: her GF nearly brought about the end of the earth via Frontier.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well, if Hibiki somehow becomes lucid while in god mode, will she bring the other two alchemists back?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Unrelated

(unfortunately I don't have a source :eng99:)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spiritus Nox posted:

Gahhhh I'm already dying to know how this turns out, this wait is going to kill me.

gently caress, I hope this Power of God amounts to more than just Hibiki turning into a big scary monster and getting punched back to normal

Same. Hibiki back to normal would feel like a massive copout. personally. It's been a fun season anyway!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, I don't want Hibiki to die or anything, that'd be a bizarre swerve. I'm just hoping that this isn't just a matter of "Oh Bikky's the final boss now." Like she actually gets to use the Power Of God against a new enemy or that this is a character beat before an action sequence or something like that.

Here's my somewhat serious predictions, in order of likelyhood:
1. Hibiki gets taken back down to normal. No divine power lingers at all.
2. Hibiki gets taken back down to "normal", but she's not back to 100% normal. Some divine power lingers, but she can't tap into it at will.
3. Hibiki dies.
4. Hibiki remains a god, able to tap into at will.

Honestly, 1 and 2 do feel a bit even, knowing this series. E12 can't get here fast enough.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh, I'd expect 4 to happen miles before 3. Killing Hibiki - especially now, and especially in this manner - would make very little emotional or thematic sense to me, and from a marketing standpoint dumping one of your most popular and iconic characters when you already know that you'll be looking to sell another season would be...unwise.

My thing is I don't think it would make sense to have her have full access to god-like powers all the time. Gotta have some drama! But yeah, she's not dying anytime soon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, that'd be hard and I don't expect it, but they could probably successfully write around it if they were willing to shake the setting up in some big ways and throw in a hand wave about it not working on next season's villains because *incomprehensible mystical technobabble*.

Easier to make work than "lol the best character in the show is gone forever now" at least, lol

counterpoint: Kanade was killed in Ep 1.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

McDragon posted:

Clearly Hibiki needs godlike power in order to do her homework in time.

Also I am glad Kirika was ok.

Also also I am really liking all the combination attacks. I want to see them all. And the Miku/Hibiki one next season

Also also also I still love the little robot voice that goes dainslef

"Aren't you a god?" "IT'S NOT HELPING!"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eela6 posted:

What are you, Kanadian? :rimshot:

You tell me :haw:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lessail posted:

"witnessing the birth of our new lord and savior"

:pray:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

graybook posted:

mods ban endorph for untagged spoilers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm not satisfied :smith:

I mean, given the series, yeah, it fits. But I was expecting more epic poo poo.

e: I think the big thing for me is that the entire episode feels very rushed, from a plot standpoint.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 25, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Endorph posted:

i mean there's one more episode left and we already have a season 5 confirmed

Also true.

Here's my thoughts: They wanted an entire episode to Hibiki's birthday party. And then drop a cliffhanger at the end to tease S5. It has the unfortunate side effects of well, making E12 suffer from terrible pacing. Also, Hibiki 3, Gods 0.

Phobophilia posted:

you can tell this was inspired by shin godzilla, except that movie had a higher regard for the us to not be completely retarded

Also consider when Shin Godzilla was made vs this and who was in the Oval Office at the time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Don't get me wrong, it's an entirely Symphogear conclusion, it just feels way too rushed. They could have easily fit it into two episodes instead of one. I think that's what most people (myself included) was expecting.

e: Best line from the episode though was Genjuro saying that the guns would only get in his way when he meets Saint Germain.

E2: I think a better setup would be e12 being getting Hibiki out, with e13 being the nuke and final Adam fight. But oh well

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 25, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GX was baaad. It's "better" if you you consider they thought it was the last season when writing it, but it still was the weakest of the three even with that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dzhay posted:

I am already pre-hyped for season 5 in which

Miku

will punch

the Annunaki .

:same:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But seriously, I think the implication here, especially with Hibiki using the other gear's power is that both her and Miku are able to use any Gear that is out there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ver was more entertaining than Adam.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TFRazorsaw posted:

Symphogear villain rankings:

5. Adam
4. Carol
3. Ver
2. Fine
1. Itaba Yumi

What is this, an anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eela6 posted:

I'm hard-pressed to think of many villians more entertaining than Ver. Ver is my favorite bad guy in forever. He's such an amusingly self-absorbed lunatic. Finé was, well, fine, but she's no Ver.

Ver was the definition of "over the top"

In everything.

Shame he's dead :rip:

• Locked thread