Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Doctor Ver is dead now. Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The real question for AXZ: Will Chris actually get to fire her rifle this year?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No one will ever compare to senpai.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kanos posted:

What on earth is going on with Kirika's pants situation. "Do you want to wear shorts, a skirt, or pants?" "Dess."

Fixed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Miyuki Sawashiro is Finé's voice actor. Not only is she ridiculously experienced, she's a fluid english speaker.

Her terrible english is 100 % intentional and meant to be a deliberate f-you to her conspirators.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Chris has the best [noun]" is pretty universal I've found.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

Did Tsubasa and Chris even have scenes together in the last season that weren't also ensemble scenes, I can't really recall any.

There was Bayonet Charge and "I feel like I need to hold your hand." when Ignite was loving them up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Both are entertaining in my opinion.

And I want Maria and Chris to start interacting more. That feels like unrealized potential.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

GX was for Tsubasa/Maria, G was for Tsubasa/Chris.

The ep with Ignited was still pretty great though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eela6 posted:

Kirika is adorable.

Dess

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ogawa got a named attack because it's identical to one of Tsubasa's. It's actually a ninja technique he taught to her.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's okay, Tsubasa needed pep talks from her dead BFF. Everyone needs whatever help they can get.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I enjoyed the auto-scorers, especially Garie and Micha.

Their bits in the 2nd set of OVAs are the funniest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

2.) I like to think Tsubasa's rubbing off on her.

*insert adolescent giggling here*

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

after how Shiori put one over on Garie, she is objectively the most superior.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

remember the time Yumi pressed a button

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I am not disagreeing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so the arena mode in Unlimited XD is a simulation room created by Elfnein where the girls have to fight and destroy holograms of each other.

Everyone is weirded out by it.

Guys.

I'm worried about Elfnein.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Elfnein casually starts singing "genocide and genocide" under her breath while working one day and everyone starts freaking out.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The keywords for season one say that the attack happened because Chris was used by Finé to activate Solomon's Cane, and the Noise released from it were attracted to the Nehushtan armor being tested under the cover of Kanade and Tsubasa's concert.

So yeah.

Chris kind of indirectly killed Kanade.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CR hasn't said anything yet.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The rivalries kind of fell apart after the first couple of episodes. They didn't really take each other on very much individually after F.I.S. escaped the abandoned hospital.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and the final episode pairs them off as Hibiki and Maria, Kirika and Chris, and Tsubasa and Shirabe.

In general it's all over the place.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, the Tsubasa and Chris fight on the ship was pretty loving boss on its own.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For a second I thought you just meant the part where Chris shot Tsubasa in the back.

well they're more or less the same event.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Commie getting it is the worst case scenario.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

poo poo like "Heavenrend" says differently.

also, in season 1, their translation of "superb song" as "swan song" created a very mistaken perception of how those things worked, and when G rolled around, people were confused as to why they behaved differently.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 1, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Endorph posted:

im not sure how 'heavenrend' is any worse than crunchy's myriad errors

well, "Ame-no-Habakiri" is a real mythological weapon. That's the whole point of the relics.

It's like if someone did a sub of an anime with "Excalibur" in it and named it "Awesomeblade".

That's commie's problem. They make poo poo up for the purpose of being "cooler". When they did "Go! Princess Precure" they translated an entire character's dialogue like a british punk rocker's and changed a character known for speaking gratuitous english into one who spoke random french.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 1, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's a "distinct voice" that doesn't actually exist and doesn't really fit him at all when he turns into the series' primary villain.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If it were adapting some kind of convention of his speech, it'd be one thing. But no, let's just change it for no reason like they're freaking 4kids or something.

And then there's poo poo like this. It's not even Siamour saying it. There's no reason to not just have Minami say "afternoon tea". It's just poo poo thrown together to sound fancy despite it not really fitting together.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's the thing though. There's nothing about Close's speech that lends to what Commie did with him. He's just coarse and rude. There's no element of translation to it, they just saw how he dressed and went "he's a punk rocker" now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They don't need to "improve" his speech to make him entertaining. Close is amusing because of the situations he's a part of and the way he's written. He doesn't need someone to change his dialogue to add an imaginary accent to make him entertaining and memorable.

The 4Kids comparison was because it's the exact same shallow and distracting kind of "localization" they used to pull off.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If you're resorting to exaggerating my point, then there's nothing left to say. It's not a matter of purity. It's just bad fan subbing.

Siamour's French in the Commie subs are also poor translation convention because everything she says in English is basic, easy to understand words that little kids taking basic English classes would understand, while Commie has her and other characters spouting it to a greater extent, in ways that aren't immediately apparent. If they want her to speak French, don't add it where it wasn't before, and don't make it something whose meaning isn't immediately apparent.

But if you want a better example of how bad at this they are, there's the infamous time they tried to convince everyone that "eoten" was a real word.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 1, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Chris's speech patterns are coarse and rude most of the time.

Should they give her an obnoxious accent too?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just saying the only difference between the way she talks and the way Close talks is that Close does it while wearing a stupid outfit.

chumbler posted:

Absolutely. I am torn between Brooklyn accent and valley girl, though.

Well at least you're honest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Precure has no short of characters with verbal gimmicks and exaggerated personalities. If this were a character who actually had something like that in his speech, then yes, I'd agree that you need to apply translation convention. But Close actively doesn't have that going on when there's so many characters already like that in the franchise, then it's a pretty clear indication he's not meant to be that sort of character. If he did, he'd have an obnoxious verbal tic and characters would constantly be making fun of him for it.

But I've made my point, I guess. Back to Symphogear.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Maria has finally completed her evolution into a soccer mom. She drives an actual van.

Soon she will be showing up ahead of missions with orange slices and bottled water for everyone.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I would hazard a guess that it's not at all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eela6 posted:

We can only hope. She's seamlessly moved from fussing over Kirika and Shirabe to fussing over everyone and everything.

"Chris, have you been eating right? Kirika and Shirabe tell me all they ever see you eat is carbs and junk food."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Maria mommed Tsubasa in GX, so their overall status in the group doesn't protect her from her mom-ness.

• Locked thread