Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The first ten minutes of calcio are always fun because its only tangentially a ball game by virtue of their being a ball somewhere in that street fight

When I show people calcio I always show them how the score is 0-0 for the first 30 minutes and then ten minutes later there have been like eight goals

That's always the best part, the match starts and everyone in the middle immediately squares up in a half-assed boxing stance, while the little guy with the ball and the people in the backfield just play catch for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Me and a friend are so ready for this.
Bring on the violence! :munch:

Go Red team!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
As someone who played a lot of RTSs as the red team I will support the steroid abusing cheating Florentine team.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The only sport I think that competes with Calcio storico in violence and absurdity is that Russian Team MMA league

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Verdi Fan Zone

As a life long Verdi fan I welcome all well intentioned newcomers to our tent. Fair weather fans and glory hunters are not welcome.

Did you know the Greens won the first game of the modern reintroduction of Calcio Storico played in 1930? That's right they did. The Greens are a powerhouse that has a storied history. They have fought to keep the Calcio tradition as pure as possible, protesting occasional attempts to soften the game. They are champions that embody the spirit of the sport.

Let's pay respects to past greats Including the Wayne Gretzky of Calcio Storico Gianluca Lapi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbPy-cgGa0
What an absolute legend.

Heck, lets take a look at some more golden age footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb4ENoLLLj8
Let the feelings of nostalgia wash over you.

Also if you have Hbo they featured Calcio Storico in a recent minidoc and focused a bit on Verdi (with classic Bonfiglio expulsion footage). It also features some weird dad forcing his kid to do mma so skip those parts.
http://www.hbo.com/state-of-play/episodes/0/5-inherent-violence/index.html
I captured the speech the Verdi coach gives at the 19 minute mark because it's tremendous
https://streamable.com/v2u9m

Rossi Fan Zone

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'm probably not going to be able to catch this live, do these end up anywhere after the fact tomorrow afternoon?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm probably not going to be able to catch this live, do these end up anywhere after the fact tomorrow afternoon?

Pretty sure they'll end up on YouTube/Dailymotion/Vimeo in some from...everything always does.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Opening day of the best season of sports in the world.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This may mean nothing the non-serie a watchers but the president of sampdoria is in attendance lol.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
lol that flag guy totally ate poo poo

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Team Rossi bay bay

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The sad scroll reader is in place and the piazza is almost full. The sambuca has been cracked.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

This is the best known combination of renaissance festival and prison yard brawl. I'm excited. Go green!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The right choice

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The camera missed a KO it looks like

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Someone on red get cleaned out and the camera missed it

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Green resorting to dirty tactics already, shameful :sad:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Seltzer posted:

Someone on red get cleaned out and the camera missed it

We really need instant replay

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

What a goal. lol this is heated as hell already

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Green with the first KO and the first point!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My stream died and I missed the goal :smith:

Crush the reds

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

And a save. THis game is completely out of hand

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm in love with all of the wide wide punches.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lol you can see how dominant green is in every tie up

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Current mood: Verdi guys panting heavily and sitting on the chests of the red guys

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Sweet loving save. Offense, defense, violence. Green is looking strong.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

FFS the whole team was upfield.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hell yeah this baby is even!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This game is loving sick

When was the last time there was scoring in the first 10 min lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I'm the guy with the water bottle chilling in the first fight

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

drat, green is taking it to em so far.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You would think after almost a century of the sport's revival at least one dude would learn how to actually fight

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Haha I like the two guys who squared up and then just walked away casually from each other

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
That dude got hosed up by that clothesline, out cold

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

FLYING LARIAT TAKES OUT THE BALL CARRIER

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That was a loving picture perfect lariat holy poo poo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

clotheslined

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I was grabbing another beer what did I just miss

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That is one dead mother fucker right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Oh poo poo nevermind!!

• Locked thread