Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It means bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you remove the hosed up inexcusable comma, the sentence makes perfect sense even if it's written in pretentious douchese.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

It’s a perfectly corpulent flyer

FTFY

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I often wonder how people can become that fat. I mean, I know I'm fat, but it's because I'm lazy, drink too much beer, and eat too many pizzas, but that poo poo is like next level fat, like there's some concerted effort into acquiring mass.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Iron Crowned posted:

I often wonder how people can become that fat. I mean, I know I'm fat, but it's because I'm lazy, drink too much beer, and eat too many pizzas, but that poo poo is like next level fat, like there's some concerted effort into acquiring mass.

Mental illness.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm old and don't understand what "queering" means. In grade school I think it meant you were calling someone gay, but now it's a verb?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm old and don't understand what "queering" means. In grade school I think it meant you were calling someone gay, but now it's a verb?

There's this old Tumblr post I read that speaks to my heart so well that I have it memorized.

"Hi, I'm Scarfbeard Manbun and this is my girlfriend Septumpierce Undercut, and we're queering heterosexuality by making a joint Tinder account for three-ways."

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's used much in the same way that "disruptive" is these days (which is to say stupidly).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Iron Crowned posted:

Same. At least 2 or 3 times a week I witness obesity that's just positively insane. Like being able to rest a can of coke on a standing person's hips or rear end for instance. I'm always amused to see those old circus freak show pictures where they show The Fat Lady.

here's one from 1950:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/c8/2f/f2c82f077222c763a08a2bc8a6d64d93.jpg

She's obese, sure, but she wouldn't shock anyone. Half of Wal-Mart looks like this now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

She still has ankles.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's what my boss during summers in college would yell into the restroom if any combination of the six summer workers including myself spent too much time in there. "You boys in there queering each other?"

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
"If you cut me in half I'd weigh as much as a normal person. I am healthy and sticking it to the man."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hate Fibration posted:

"If you cut me in half I'd weigh as much as a normal person. I am healthy and sticking it to the man."

I dunno, getting winded walking to the mailbox is not what I'd consider "healthy."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I dunno, getting winded walking to the mailbox is not what I'd consider "healthy."

What if there's like stairs and stuff? Ever think of that? No. No you didn't because you're a fatscist.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Her name doesn't even work as a bad pun the way it's written - Pausé would be something like "Pawsay" not "Paws" because of the acute accent. :pedant:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The answers to all your questions are "She went to Texas Tech."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bones are very strong

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Maybe it’s “pussy” in her mind.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Iron Crowned posted:

Bones are very strong

Look closely at the calves. The tibia and fibula are not supposed to bow outward like that.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Maybe it’s “pussy” in her mind.

I guess she is the right shape to claim the Humpty Dumpty school of language as her native tongue.

Through The Looking Glass posted:

‘When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean–neither more nor less.’

Oh god, Dodgson knew, he was trying to warn us!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I wonder what they intend “neoliberal” to mean?

Neoliberalism is basically a loose set of economic policies that in common parlance, basically accuses another person of employing liberal policies and laissez-faire economic policies simultaneously. Hillary Clinton was pretty unpopular in a lot of circles on that basis.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Queering, in a sociological context, initially referred to reading texts, media and social institutions in a way that allowed for LGBT people to access those spaces without the permission of the dominant structures that created them. In English, that basically means that branches of academics would reread, say, Victorian texts and maybe give leeway to the idea that "extremely close friendships" shown in letters between two women who constantly talked about each other's pussies might have been a little bit gay, maybe. Interpreting (and celebrating) homoerotic subtexts in media could then be a fun activity.

Queering now refers often to:

chitoryu12 posted:

"Hi, I'm Scarfbeard Manbun and this is my girlfriend Septumpierce Undercut, and we're queering heterosexuality by making a joint Tinder account for three-ways."

So that it's essentially a tool for people who feel like they're outside of the fringes of society in some way to say, "I'm making [normal thing] weird! Ha-ha!"

And so, the translation of the poster is thus:

"In this lecture, a woman who inexplicably gained tenure, possibly from lack of applicants, discusses how if we can look at fat people slightly differently [removed extraneous comma for clarity] that might change the way we assume fat people are across the board, while she also rejects rich white people who registered as Democrats for the last twenty years but also think homeless people are kind of icky."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Wow, it got more tedious in translation! I didn't think that'd be possible!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Sorry about your false conscience developed under the system of post-industrial patriarchal oppression. :rolleye:

Yeah, ummmmmm, sure.

I guess...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EmptyVessel posted:

Her name doesn't even work as a bad pun the way it's written - Paus would be something like "Pawsay" not "Paws" because of the acute accent. :pedant:

But, since she's into fat studies, she HAS to be wacky and quirky. It's in the bylaws...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cash crab posted:

Queering now refers often to:

So that it's essentially a tool for people who feel like they're outside of the fringes of society in some way to say, "I'm making [normal thing] weird! Ha-ha!"

And so, the translation of the poster is thus:

"In this lecture, a woman who inexplicably gained tenure, possibly from lack of applicants, discusses how if we can look at fat people slightly differently [removed extraneous comma for clarity] that might change the way we assume fat people are across the board, while she also rejects rich white people who registered as Democrats for the last twenty years but also think homeless people are kind of icky."

Or, you know, making [weird thing] normal, right?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Fat studies is a heavy topic, with a huge body of work.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Some very thicc books have been written on the subject.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
You're on a slippery slope, my friend.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

You're on a slippery slope, my friend.

Sweat'll do that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

What if there's like stairs and stuff? Ever think of that? No. No you didn't because you're a fatscist.

believe the word you're looking for is stoutist. :colbert:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Use that sort of language, and I will SIT on you. (And not in a fun way...)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

and that skeleton was tyra banks

and now you know...

...the rest of the story

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like fatscist better.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

I have my PhD in fat studies too, I work with people with type 2 diabetes.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

GOOD LORD :randstare:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

and that skeleton was tyra banks

and now you know...

...the rest of the story

So where are the eye smiles hidden in all of that?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Basically this but fleshier:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Some very thicc books have been written on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nothing, that's what!

• Locked thread