Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cash crab posted:

I am beginning a change.org petition that bans people from adding "queering" to anything that has nothing to do with like, being an actual queer

ESPECIALLY when they can't use it in a complete sentence. How queering fat acceptance WHAT drat IT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cash crab posted:

Hey, I've been to a liberal university and I've read Judith Butler. I understood that whole poster. I just wish whoever wrote it was dead.

Welp, I guess that's my issue. No liberal university and all my buzzwords skew geeky. I can talk about monetizing paradigms shifts in our offshoring partnerships or why you should go for one level of RAID over another all day long. That poster breaks me.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
BUT!

"How queering fat embodiment" WHAT?

You DON'T USE ENGLISH THAT WAY! WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENS WHEN YOU QUEER FAT EMBODIMENTS, YOU BOMBASTIC PILE OF LIPIDEMA?

Why in the hell does SHE get the speaking honorariums?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Benny Harvey posted:

Is Cat Paus� supposed to be a pun?

I think the aigu is the most annoying thing about it all.

You really need to ask that? Look into your heart. You know the answer.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Sorry about your false conscience developed under the system of post-industrial patriarchal oppression. :rolleye:

Yeah, ummmmmm, sure.

I guess...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EmptyVessel posted:

Her name doesn't even work as a bad pun the way it's written - Paus would be something like "Pawsay" not "Paws" because of the acute accent. :pedant:

But, since she's into fat studies, she HAS to be wacky and quirky. It's in the bylaws...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cash crab posted:

Queering now refers often to:

So that it's essentially a tool for people who feel like they're outside of the fringes of society in some way to say, "I'm making [normal thing] weird! Ha-ha!"

And so, the translation of the poster is thus:

"In this lecture, a woman who inexplicably gained tenure, possibly from lack of applicants, discusses how if we can look at fat people slightly differently [removed extraneous comma for clarity] that might change the way we assume fat people are across the board, while she also rejects rich white people who registered as Democrats for the last twenty years but also think homeless people are kind of icky."

Or, you know, making [weird thing] normal, right?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

believe the word you're looking for is stoutist. :colbert:

Use that sort of language, and I will SIT on you. (And not in a fun way...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I mostly wondering which field of science fat studies falls under.

You could make a case for either medicine, nutritional science, philosophy, or the culinary arts.

Given how wacky and brilliant they are, performing arts?

• Locked thread