Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Big boi radiator.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Had a wee accident in the Q7

Thankfully, it came within mm of the radiator and transmission cooler, but overall other than the crash bar being nearly bent in half, the car is fine. Gonna have to find a replacement.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
What'd you hit? A pole?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

What'd you hit? A pole?

No, rear ended a church bus that had a trailer hitch. Trailer hitch busted through the grill and did the damage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its spring, which means its time to blend in with the local VW group and hope they don't notice I'm actual an Audi

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Junk yard run! Someone sent me a rumor about a Quantum Syncro being in the yard, which has the 4.11 Quattro 016 5 speed in it:

Turns out, rumor was true:

We thank you, Quantum, for your sacrifice. Ashame I couldn't get to you before you ended up here with your body cut like this....

Transmission and front subframe/control arms removed! I'll come back for the driveline and rear end in two weeks:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Took a gamble trying to swap some gears to get a taller 5th, one gear fit, the other did not. Oh well

5th Gear and shifter assembly

Bare shafts (upper is the gear assembly, lower is the power output pinion)

5th Gearing: Porsche 016 0.640 on left, Audi 016 0.778. Technically the same gear assembly, but apparently use a different sized pinion shaft. gently caress. The other gear fits fine, just the smaller output gear doesn't fit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The fleet is all moved to the new home

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
You have a large number of vehicles. I'm jealous.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I see too much to maintain, lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Suburban Dad posted:

I see too much to maintain, lol

This is the correct view. But that is also why I have so many spare parts.

Now ask me about moving into a new house and having to move all the spares.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
easier to maintain than the house itself. speaking of, nice yard. There's room for more acquisitions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

easier to maintain than the house itself. speaking of, nice yard. There's room for more acquisitions.

Theres a cement pad in the back we will be extending the driveway to

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Those are the kinds of houses I'll rubberneck while passing, while also breathing a sigh of relief and regret that I'm not dumb enough to get a house.

Meanwhile, I live in an apartment and own 5 cars and 3 motorcycles...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So a little bit of a late update:

At the end of the summer we widened the sidewalk to the back pad so now it has enough space for cars to pass:

Some rare Georgia snow and a few of the cars sleeping soundly next to the partner's chicken coop.

Car lift install will likely happen in March/April timeframe.

Bonus, attack chickens:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Looks a little tight near the bend by the trashcan but that's what audi is for. Hows the fleet been?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Looks a little tight near the bend by the trashcan but that's what audi is for. Hows the fleet been?

I did have to move the trash cans, and I probably should've added another foot of driveway, but it works well enough.

The fleet's okay, wagon's running good. I got wiring issues in one of the crank or cam position sensors on the 4000 Quattro Turbo where it'll lose position or fail to start.

Getting ready to remove the 2.4 Turbodiesel from the 90 Quattro and remove the dash for heater core and AAN wiring harness swap.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Still love the rally inspired paint job on the 20v. Lift going on the back pad or in the garage and 2 or 4 post?

Widened path looks really nice, would love to do that on our driveway but we'd need so much fill dirt it's probably not worth it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Still love the rally inspired paint job on the 20v. Lift going on the back pad or in the garage and 2 or 4 post?

Widened path looks really nice, would love to do that on our driveway but we'd need so much fill dirt it's probably not worth it.

Back of the pad so that I can pull cars in and out, the garage isn't really tall enough for a lift.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
What's worse than Volkswagen products? Why American Military products, of course

Its a Diesel 3kw 240v Generator we're going to use for backup house power, yes 3kw is a little on the low side but the goal is to power fridges and lights, not much more and only for emergencies.

Picked it up for $500 because someone had accidentally maxxed out the voltage adjustment and they thought it was done. It works fine.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Does it support 120V as well? seems like it should.

The solar panel is there to keep the starter battery alive?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

Does it support 120V as well? seems like it should.

The solar panel is there to keep the starter battery alive?

Yes, it supports 120v as well and has 120v outlets on the generator itself.

Its 120v @ 30 Amps and 240v @ 16 Amps max.

And yeah the solar panel is a trickle charger for the starter battery.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
dang nice get

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Nice price. Those generator are rated to run that output at 100% duty cycle.

The white wiring, though... Reminds me of my days fixing Navy stuff. All wiring was while Teflon with labels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Nice price. Those generator are rated to run that output at 100% duty cycle.

The white wiring, though... Reminds me of my days fixing Navy stuff. All wiring was while Teflon with labels.

Reminds me of my Air Force days, same sort of wiring in nearly all the aircraft.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Ptfe wiring without PVC

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

Ptfe wiring without PVC

Very cleanly braided too

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Making some repairs to the generator: Has a persistent Overvoltage light that I've been advised is related to the Regulator/Frequency Converter so we'll need to remove and disassemble it

The Regulator/Converter is the large brass colored box at the rear, takes in the 300hz 300v from the Permanent Magnet Alternator and converts it to 120v/230v Single Phase 60hz (or 400hz on an alternate model).

Wires removed and tagged, ready for extractions

Its out.

If this fails, the alternative is to convert to a different Alternator, as the Yanmar single cylinder diesel is more than capable of being adapted to a better model without the external regulator/converter. There was a lot of loose screws so I suspect this was at depot when it was sold and they just slapped it back together.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I may or may not have bought a John Deere 330 Diesel lawn tractor.

Pictures to come.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

With the yanmar 3 cylinder? Those are great little engines, Dad absolutely loves his diesel Deere.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

With the yanmar 3 cylinder? Those are great little engines, Dad absolutely loves his diesel Deere.

Indeed it is!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its so tiny! I love it

Its got some problems, but it runs and drives, the deck came with it and the donkey for transitioning the belts to the clutch up front

It needs lights, I need to rewire the Glow Plug circuit, needs a full fluid change and clean up some of the bastardized wiring the previous owner did, but I got it for a cool $700. It has front hydraulic hookups and a PTO at the back.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
For $700 you practically stole it. Pullin in all the excellent deals as of late.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

For $700 you practically stole it. Pullin in all the excellent deals as of late.

I find it funny the little Yanmar V70 is Direct Injection but the 3TN66 is IDI. Its a gutsy little motor for 16HP, apparently the Gas one had about the same torque rating?

But I love that it has a PTO and hydraulic hookups at front and back.

Future temptation is to buy another 3TN66 block and convert it to Direct Injection since there were both pistons, heads, and injectors with the same bore/stroke and matched up to the 3TN66 block. Maybe a tiny turbocharger because why the hell not.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 21, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe a tiny turbocharger because why the hell not.

Mowing the lawn in record time. Lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New glow plugs, which it badly needed:

Working on better fueling setup, and proper crankcase ventilation as right now it just dumps crankcase vapors out onto the ground.

Gotta fix the drive lockout. I cannot get over how tiny this motor is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Tired of seeing the 90q sitting around, so pulled the Turbodiesel out (since it'll never have the right gearing to make the car fun) and getting ready to pull the dash to put in the wiring harness for the freshly built 2.2l AAN Turbo 20v

Engine out!

There's nothing wrong with the old customized 2.4TD motor, just gearing doesn't match its need. Will keep it as a spare for the 5000 Quattro Turbodiesel Wagon

Freshly build 2.2l AAN Turbo 20v that'll go in. Already have an uncut harness and ECU, just gotta pin it into the current 7A harness, or what is left of it.
Its waiting on some parts and oil pan gaskets, new knock sensors, etc, but mechanically its been overhauled. New rigns, new bearings, new valve seats and fresh valves, new timing belt, water pump, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Getting the AAN/3B build ready for the 90 Quattro

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Fried a 3B ECU, and it may have been bad for a while. That explains some things. Removed the chips for Ignition and Boost mapping and captured them, still not sure what happened but looks like moisture got in.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So thankfully, fried was not what it was. A couple Film Capacitors had failed/popped, and after a couple days replacing them:

Its back! Also fixed the issue where VAGCOM couldn't talk to it, but could talk to my spare ECU just fine.

In celebration, gave it some new Volvo C70 injectors, which are a slight step up flow wise from stock but roughly same ohm.

Send off the old ones to get repaired, but the C70 injectors start so smooth I'll probably keep using them in the future for the 2.2l