Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Drove the 4000q to work, ECU is running fantasticly.

But didn't stop it from shredding the alternator belt for some unknown reason. Thankfully got to an Autoparts store and got it sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The John Deere is already pulling its weight, used it to tow the 4000 Quattro Turbo to the back for an engine swap:

It pulled the car with zero hesitation, up a minor slope, without even having to really throttle up more than half way

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I think I'm finally at the point where I can say most of the operational issues are sorted with the 4000 Quattro 20v Turbo.
And man....does it move. This car is too much fun for a 37 year old hunk of metal.

Most of the remaining issues are cosmetic and structural (replace rusted metal, weld in some new metal on the floor pan, etc.)
But man does it sprint like a beast.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

CommieGIR posted:

I think I'm finally at the point where I can say most of the operational issues are sorted with the 4000 Quattro 20v Turbo.
And man....does it move. This car is too much fun for a 37 year old hunk of metal.

Most of the remaining issues are cosmetic and structural (replace rusted metal, weld in some new metal on the floor pan, etc.)
But man does it sprint like a beast.

It's cool as gently caress

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

biglads posted:

It's cool as gently caress

Thank you. Its been a long time to get this far, but I'm really happy with how its come out.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The 20v engine is incredibly good, it just really sucks they’re so rare.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frank Dillinger posted:

The 20v engine is incredibly good, it just really sucks they’re so rare.

It was honestly Audis best motor, and when they brought it back for the RS3 and TTRS it continued to deliver.

But yeah I keep a lot of spare parts for my 20v.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, we had an oil pressure loss incident, an oil cooler host burst. We have a rod knock under load now.

So engine change it is. I had a fresh AAN/3B on the stand for the 90 Quattro, it'll now go into this one, and I'll overhaul the other AAN for the 90 Quattro and then overhaul the 3B that comes out. It was still running okay other than the knock at load, with all 5 cylinders firing. So hopefully a spa day at the machine shop and new bearings/piston rings will bring it back.

Disconnect the wiring loom and pulling intake hoses, radiator, etc.

Almost ready for engine out

Old 3B out.

New and old engine, gotta swap cams to get the distributor gear cam.

Cam journals are in good shape, so hopefully we only lost some bearings on the bottom end.

There's gold in them there engine oil.

A sloppy paint job for the AAN/3B frankenmotor before it goes in.

A fresh coat of paint for the timing belt rear cover too

Waiting on some parts like the pilot bearing and stronger oil cooler hoses.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 21, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Sucks about the oil cooler hose. Via the cam journals it looks pretty saveable though. Made quick work of it all too

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Sucks about the oil cooler hose. Via the cam journals it looks pretty saveable though. Made quick work of it all too

Important to remember that the original 3B had 100,000+ miles on it when I got my hands on it, and has been driven a lot since then. I'm hoping that the likely already worn bearings just finally threw in the towel when starved.

Because yeah, the cams look about as good as a couple spare 'new' sets I have, and the engine came home under its own power, only knocking when under load.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Reassembled the new engine after the paint dried and installed new NGK spark plugs

Exhaust manifold and wastegate are installed

Fresh knock sensors.

Waiting on the Pilot Bearing still but after that we're ready for install.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Oof. Classic old car bullshit. Sucks but looks like a minor bump in the road for you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welp, the old engine is on the stand for its overhaul:

New engine is ready to go in:

Pilot bearing, flywheel, and clutch installed

and she's seated.

Install is reverse of removal

Had an issue of the timing belt walking into the engine, turns out the idler pulley mount was slightly damaged, had to create a shim to get it aligned correctly.

And she's mostly done, final crank bolt torque and then leak check and drive. She runs like a sewing machine.

https://i.imgur.com/tP1TDYF.mp4
(has audio)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
IT LIVES, IT DIES, IT LIVES AGAIN.
Hell yes awesome work. That was quick turnaround. Is the shim gonna bee fine long term? that's kind of a spicy place for a point of failure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

IT LIVES, IT DIES, IT LIVES AGAIN.
Hell yes awesome work. That was quick turnaround. Is the shim gonna bee fine long term? that's kind of a spicy place for a point of failure.

It should be fine, yes, it wasn't so much that the idler didn't stay in place, but that it was slightly offset. It holds the idler fine, just needed to be ever so slightly angled on one side by ~2mm

Eventually I'll replace the oil pump housing to fix the issue, but I gotta drop the oil pan to do that.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 1, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
....and it sheared the TDC timing pin off the flywheel. Don't know why but engine will have to come back out.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
FFS. Check the harmonic balancer when it's easier to access it. I'm curious to see what you find.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

FFS. Check the harmonic balancer when it's easier to access it. I'm curious to see what you find.

Harmonic balancer is in good shape. Unsure why the pin sheared

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Drilled out the old pin and hammered in a new one. Car runs again.

Turned the motor over by hand and there's nothing audibly or visibly hitting the pin on borescope, it's a mystery.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Now that the fun is over with the other 4000 Quattro, back to the 10vT one:

Engine out!

Time to prep the new engine to go in after I powerwash the engine bay!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So while the 20vT Audi 4000 woes are done, I didn't feel comfortable with the pin just being hammer set, so I TIG'ed it into place

Took it out, gave it the beans, it seems happy. Still adjusting the wastegate pressure a bit.

I still have not found a root cause for the loss of the first pin, but I borescoped the back of the flywheel and engine while turning it over by hand. Nada. Only conclusion I can come up with is some debris were present or got into the bellhousing through the two water drain holes on the bottom.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So added a Turbo blanket and wrapped the downpipe to help control heat in the engine bay:

It made a significant difference in under hood temperatures, doesn't feel like an oven anymore

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 25, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We've completed the first 500 miles of breakin for the new engine's rings, oil remains clean, catch can shows very little in the way of excess blowby oil, and it's driving well after repairing the timing pin.

Now it needs tires and an alignment.

The turbo blanket and exhaust wrap significantly decreased engine bay temperatures so I'm super happy. Will likely repeat on the 10v build

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anything special with the exhaust wrap other than take your time and that it sucks? The 7 engine bay and transmission tunnel get very hot and I'd like to decrease how much my feet get cooked.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anything special with the exhaust wrap other than take your time and that it sucks? The 7 engine bay and transmission tunnel get very hot and I'd like to decrease how much my feet get cooked.

Take your time, get good overlap with each layer (I wrapped mine with 1/2 of the wrap covering the previous layer) and for god's sake wear gloves, the stuffs essentially fiberglass so it'll make your hands itch like the devil.

I wrapped from the end of the turbo/wastegate to the coupling for the exhaust underneath the CV shaft heatshield and that seems to be enough to keep temps down overall. Ideally I want to eventually also add vent slits over the turbo to help draft cool air into the bay and pull the heat out even more.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 17, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its been awhile.

I did a (terrible) job welding in new sheet metal into the floor, because no shop wanted the job. Future, I'll rip out the entire pan and spot weld an entire new pan in, but for now, it's `an floor`.

TIG was the best balance of 'penetrate' and 'not eat up the thin 22 guage sheet metal', sadly I ran out of TIG gas and had to wirefeed MIG the rest.

Treated with rust converter and sealed with undercoating sealer and seam sealer both above and below the car. And no, I didn't bother to grind down the beads, since it was such a lovely job and realistically it'll be living under a floor mat, so I don't care.

It's better than a gigantic gently caress off rust hole, and should slow any rust for a while

As a bonus - electric sunroof is greased and working again. Also - checked and topped off the transmission and rear diff fluids. Not too low considering its a 37 year old car.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 25, 2023

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Nothing worse than loving around with ancient sunroofs and guides, good job on that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Nothing worse than loving around with ancient sunroofs and guides, good job on that.

I previously thought the motor had burned out, but after some chain lube on the rails, its sliding and running like clockwork.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tell us more about the gauges at the bottom of the center stack

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Tell us more about the gauges at the bottom of the center stack

Ah, that'll be your Voltage, Oil Temperature, and Diff Locker vacuum switch

I only have the rear diff lock anymore, as my transmission is upgraded to the Torsen center diff rather than the locker, but you really cannot use the diff locks above 35 miles an hour.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 25, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Had a friend at the local German car show. First time in forever an 80s Audi showed up besides me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Tore down the bottom end on the oil-starved 3B:

Ouch

It'll need some polishing, but I suspect I can save the crank.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Crank out time!

New bearings time!

Pistons are back in with new rings and connecting rod bearings

Time for paint - partner chose neon green for this one

And reinstall the engine components

Meanwhile, diagnosing some clutch noises on the Rally Audi and doing a output shaft seal that's leaking:

The clutch itself looked fine, springs rattled a little, I swapped in an older style 200 clutch to see if that would help

Flywheel still looking good

Nasty rear end output shaft seal, ugh. New one did stop the leak at least.

Throwout bearing is worn but serviceable, not the source of our noise

Back together!

Unfortunately, while the older style clutch helped the noise, it cannot take the Stage 1 tune, so gonna have to swap a new clutch in. Ugh.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 31, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Pulled the AAN out of the scrap S6, gotta tear it down and do piston rings:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Suburban Dad posted:

Now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried.

Don't threaten me with a good time!

The engine does run, but I suspect sitting for 10 years caused the rings to sieze. We'll find out soon enough!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Prototyped some brackets to adapt an RS2/AAN Fuel Rail to a 3B intake:

Came out okay, gonna make the final versions

ARP headstuds arrived for the in progress motor:

Cleaned up the surface of the head and the deck:

Reinstalled head and torqued down to 80 ft/lbs:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got the RS2 Fuel Rail installed, other than being a pain to put in with the distributor in place, it works!

Its much much easier to get the Fuel Pressure Regulators for these rails than the standalone ones the 3B uses, so this futureproofs it a bit.

Anyways, back to something somewhat different - The 2.4l TDI Frankenstein Motor

I used the mill and cut the oil squirter passage into the ALH pistons that will be going into the AAB:

Piston weights are as closely matched as I can manage, so should be okay. We'll find out. Waiting on one more connecting rod to install.

Test fit of the AEL 2.5l TDI head on the 2.4l AAB. It fits like a charm and everything lines up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
More work done on the 3B rebuild, its basically ready to put in the car:

Prepped the AAB Diesel block for painting and and installed the first 4 pistons and rods, waiting on the matched rod for #5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Plum purple is a nice engine color, right?