Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

CommieGIR posted:

Plum purple is a nice engine color, right?

:hellyeah:

I don’t have anything to add but I enjoy your progress updates, you are living the dream!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I was loving the green, but drat. Your block paint game is on point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Painters tape removed

Forgot a critical step, but thankfully caught it at the right time: Gotta add a dipstick tube!

The casting has a spot where the dipstick would be on a 10v Gas or a Diesel for an Audi, so its just a matter of doing the drilling....and keeping it straight.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's my nightmare. I know I would screw that angle up and the block would have a new hole where it shouldn't.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My nightmare is glitter winding up in the oil after that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

randomidiot posted:

Fortunately the lack of oil pan prevents that.

I dig the color. Are you gonna go 90s-vw-harlequinn on the buildup of the engine accessories or are you leaving well enough alone?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

randomidiot posted:

There was a magnet under the shop rag and I blew it out with air and sprayed it out with brake cleaner. Shouldn't be much left to get into the oil.

cursedshitbox posted:

Fortunately the lack of oil pan prevents that.

I dig the color. Are you gonna go 90s-vw-harlequinn on the buildup of the engine accessories or are you leaving well enough alone?

I did color the Injection Pump bracket neon Green!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 18, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
More stuff going on!

All 5 pistons and rods are installed!
(This is a gif but its not playing on here)

Head is installed and torqued down, as well as injectors

We had a tree come down during the cold and wind, so got the John Deere Diesel out and chopped and hauled wood, little Yanmar started up like a champ in the 14 degree weather.

Had the Quattro's clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate machined and reman'ed, the disc they put in is supposed to be good for Stage 2 tuning, so hopefully that'll fix our slip once and for all.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 23, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Water pump arrived!

Timed and already has decent compression.

Building the mTDI pump:

We're using a 2.5 TDI Pump internals with a Turbo 2.4TD Pump, so TDI camplate injector, TDI fuel pressure valve, and TDI delivery valves.

Took the 4000 Quattro to the shop to install the reman'ed clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate

Oh yeah, it was slipping. Gonna have this set reman'ed too
Flywheel installed and torqued:

All installed!

Significantly better grip, no slip under boost. Much better. Clutch feels super light on the pedal, but engages right in the middle where it should.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 27, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New clutch is fantastic. Replaced all 4 brake rotors to help with stopping, working on brake upgrades now before I add more power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Back to diesel:

Pump is built and roughly configured, will finalize it once the engine is running

Pump timing belt installed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://i.imgur.com/QxHow6G.mp4

It lives.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Sounds healthy, nice work

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Dialed in the idle a bit more, but yeah sounds healthy!

https://i.imgur.com/K1mXKYd.mp4

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 4, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Well now that the engine is tested, out with the old 2.4 IDI TD:

Had to mill a little spacer for the crank pulley since the gas pulleys are a little shorter

Last minute modifications to the pump:

She's in and seated, reassembly time.

For the 90 Quattro, had to CAD and 3D print some connectors for the fuse/relay box:

Also needed a repalcement for the 4000 Quattro's headlight switch:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Did a thing. Also ordered a TDI 6 speed 01E transmission for the TDI Wagon.

....which the seller then screwed me out of because 'worldwide' means something different in Spain.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 26, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Replaced the headgasket on the 2.4 TDI, because the IDI headgasket gave way due to the cutouts for the prechambers.

Works much better. Waiting on transmission parts now to convert an 01E to TDI and 3.89 final

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Photo dump time from a long weekend:

Tiring of excess crankcase pressure under boost, added a valve cover vent. The AANs have a vent on their valve cover at the same position so made perfect sense. Drilled and tapped for M18x1.5 and added a little nipple:

And sure enough, no more oil seeping out the valve cover gasket or the oil cap under boost, even feels like it spools a little better. No excess oil getting caught in the catch can either. Took the opportunity with the valve cover off to swap out the headbolts for APR studs as well, one at a time. No noted changed in coolant or oil and engine starts and runs well, so headgasket stayed seated which was a gamble if it would or not.

Time to modify an 01E 5 speed to 6 speed and change out the final drive to 3.89. Had to buy an inner race puller and gear puller set. This has my anxiety on edge because this is really the first time I've done major transmission work, so may take it to a shop afterwords to just give it a once over

4.11 Ring gear removed:

3.89 seated and torqued

Before milling the 6th gear selector position to the gear selector drum:

After:

Put some gunmetal blueing on the fresh cut, it won't see any sort of major mechanical stress but still want to seal it from corrosion as best as possible
Look at this shitpile

These blanks will be where the 6th gear will go, I have to pull the sleeve on the lower hollow shaft and add a thrust washer and spacer to both sides. Also add a syncro to the selector for the 6th gear side

5th upper gear off

Pulling lower 5th gear

Also made a Vacuum Coolant recovery system out of a cat litter bucket, got tired of just catching coolant with a pan

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 13, 2024

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

Time to modify an 01E 5 speed to 6 speed and change out the final drive to 3.89. Had to buy an inner race puller and gear puller set. This has my anxiety on edge because this is really the first time I've done major transmission work, so may take it to a shop afterwords to just give it a once over

Also made a Vacuum Coolant recovery system out of a cat litter bucket, got tired of just catching coolant with a pan

Had no idea you could add a sixth gear that "easily" that's very cool. Cat litter coolant recovery system is pretty slick.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Had no idea you could add a sixth gear that "easily" that's very cool. Cat litter coolant recovery system is pretty slick.

It makes sense because, as a manufacturer, why make two specifically designed transmissions to manufacture when you can just block off the extras or not add parts. The 016 didn't do this as much (found on the 4000/80/90/200) but the 01E was much more modular.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
6th Gear Blank/Spacer finally removed. The Shop Press was no match for it, so I sliced it down the middle to relieve the tension and then pushed it off with a mallet and a wedge

Time to start re-assembling everything, after I flush all the cutting debris out.

Also confirms I can likely do this conversion again without fully removing the hollow shaft since I'd not be removing the final drive on others, just have to slice and split that spacer and ground an edge to give the chisel something to bite and remove it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

18-20 PSI seems to be the upper limit for my current boost host setup, which is fine because that's the upper limit for the stock K24 Turbo

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looks like pipe is bead rolled already? T bolt clamps would help next maybe.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Suburban Dad posted:

Looks like pipe is bead rolled already? T bolt clamps would help next maybe.

Yeah its bead rolled, so clamps would be next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Made a trip to Chattanooga for Bugapalooza '24:

And then my Quattro's grandfather showed up:

It did well on the trip, only got a little hot while sitting in a 2 hour traffic jam on 285, but otherwise no issues, no oil burning, was very happy with its performance.