Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Anit Archive bump!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
This thread has had me looking at local classifieds and CL around the region for an old school audi. Someone near me wants $1000 obo for a branded title 90 quattro coupe with 200k on it at the point in time the odometer stopped working, which was who knows how many miles ago, but I also found a loving awesome 90 avant that's been tempting me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

This thread has had me looking at local classifieds and CL around the region for an old school audi. Someone near me wants $1000 obo for a branded title 90 quattro coupe with 200k on it at the point in time the odometer stopped working, which was who knows how many miles ago, but I also found a loving awesome 90 avant that's been tempting me.

That's gonna be most classic Audis.

Here's the video from the Diverter Valve test on the 4000q 20vT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v92KsiMVzaw&feature=youtu.be

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Fucker keeps popping hoses under boost.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Annoying, but a good problem to have.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Annoying, but a good problem to have.

Yeah. I'm gonna have to find a shop that will help me do a piping setup.

Anyways, Friday I was driving the black 4kQ Turbo home, about a mile from the house car started running rough and smelled burning electronics. Shut off the car and coasted to a stop.

ECU was burning hot, and the Frequency Valve was leaking gas. When I tried to unplug it, the connector was melted to it. I disabled the +12v to it and let the ECU cool off and it started, ran rough, but it got me home.

After verifying everything was okay other than the Frequency Valve, I replaced it and installed a 3 Amp fuse inline with it to prevent it over-amping the ECU every again. Its a 38 year old ECU, not risking losing it:

While I was in there, I also retarded the distributor a bit because I've been getting pinging on acceleration. Tested on the highway this morning, it seems a lot happier.

Bonus 20vT Photo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CommieGIR posted:

T bolt clamps and bead roll those pipes!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

T bolt clamps and bead roll those pipes!

I need to find someone that does bead rolling in Atlanta. My current Diverter Valve pipe is custom made out of steel, so I don't think I can bead roll it by hand.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I need to find someone that does bead rolling in Atlanta.

You could always just get them to weld a bead on the outside and grind/smooth it down. You probably have enough spares to do this and then swap it on later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

You could always just get them to weld a bead on the outside and grind/smooth it down. You probably have enough spares to do this and then swap it on later.

I actually only have one spare pipe, because its completely custom made to fit in between the Intercooler and the turbo outlet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Took the 20vT to the office for a 100 mile round trip test drive.

Other than some minor hesitation it boosted like a monster and accelerates like a bad out of hell

Turbo and diverter valve are loud

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Got a go pro?

Give the thread that for which it hungers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

Got a go pro?

Give the thread that for which it hungers.

A knock off, but I'll get some video tommorrow, hopefully with good Audio

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://youtu.be/_B9FscmLwp0

As requested, working on an upload from my phone too, hopefully with better audio.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgPWB5xCzT8

Fixed an issue with a bad plug wire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I did a thing:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
That looks great. Is that thing just missing trim from the side of it around the side skirt?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

That looks great. Is that thing just missing trim from the side of it around the side skirt?

Yup.

It also needs trim for the driver's side door.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Finished the majority of the Group B colors:

And then had a visitor: He needed a bracket welded in for his NOS canister:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
You're doing god's work, that's one of the best liveries of all time.

Also, amazingly the KKK logo is still used on the ID tags of most current BorgWarner turbos coming out of Europe right next to the BorgWarner logo. Still can't quite wrap my head around why, comparatively the Schwitzer brand only shows up next to the BorgWarner logo on big old legacy turbos in the states, not on anything modern.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Anti-Archive bump.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, drove the 4000 Quattro to the office yesterday since the roads were a mess, and I'm getting vibrations.

I put the car up on jackstands and put it in 4th gear, to inspect the driveline, and the driveline seems fine, but the rear diff is clunking and shaking. I'm wondering if the rear diff has gone bad....

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Good luck. I sincerely enjoy this thread for late 80's German car stuff. A friend in high school had a XR4Ti and besides the motor it was all sorts of fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welp, after diagnosing up on jack stands, I suspect the center diff is dying, thankfully I've got good sources on a couple transmissions, so we're golden, its just going to be a bitch to remove.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Assume the service position!

https://youtu.be/QI_7y2TILeI

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 14, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, I've diagnosed it as center diff failure. I suspect the locker was partially engaged and enough tarmac driving killed it.

I mean, if we're going in there, might as well do the full 9 yards clutch replacement and all.

Out she comes.

Buh-bye!

Ok, time to swap hardware over, swap the wiring harness, and test the locker.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I <3 it when you jerk trannies.

post pics of the teardown. I'm curious about the center diff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I <3 it when you jerk trannies.

post pics of the teardown. I'm curious about the center diff.

Plan to! I have a spare 016 from the flood car that the center diff should be good in (the center diff and the main transmission are separated by seals and have their own oil and the diff has no breather versus the main transmission, so even if water got in the main portion of the transmission, it wouldn't get into the center diff. I've actually already drained the oil from that one too, and found no water, so I'm hopeful)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 21, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
....aaaaannnd I think the 016 I picked up is shot, if I put it in gear, the front diff never moves. Tested it against all my other transmissions, and when in gear the front diff moves just fine along with the rear output.

Welp.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

QuattroTM

That sucks. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
After removing and testing the transmission from the flood car, it seems to be in better mechanical shape. Going to drain the oil shortly and check for water/rust.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, I drained the oil from the old transmission: It was black. Something is burned in there.

But since the 'new' one has a faulty gearset, I am forced to use one I pulled from a flood car. I cleaned it, drained it, flushed it, and re-filled it, it feels smooth and shifts into all gears without hassle and the diff seems healthy

This is totally a gamble, and I'm planning to upgrade the transmission to a later model if this fails.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Welp.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
LOL. Oops! Red Loctite?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

LOL. Oops! Red Loctite?

No, the spline carrier is supposed to be held in by clips, that I noticed are missing/broken off. That might explain the odd lurching it sometimes did on acceleration.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yeah, but red Loctite fixes everything. Slather it on, good to go.

I take it that's the old clutch?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, but red Loctite fixes everything. Slather it on, good to go.

I take it that's the old clutch?

Yup. Unfortunately, the 3B and the JT use different size clutches, so I gott a wait on a new one. I was tempted to weld it back in, but I want this fix to last.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is loving broke.

And in it goes

And she's done!

High speed test done, took a nail to the tire driving down the road, but otherwise she's feeling better, not getting surges on clutch engagement anymore, I'm sure not having the spline carrier busted out of the clutch helps. Some minor vibrations in 4th, nothing major and may just be engine.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Blew out another shifter bushing. Sketched one up in Tinkercad and 3D printed in 30 minutes

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2558263

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This 034 Nylon Bushing was only 3 months old. Its missing the entire cap portion:

New 3D printed Bushing test!

Pretty happy, we'll see how long it lasts. (that rusty shifter linkage is not the one that was used, that's just a spare I use for testing.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 30, 2017