Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Another customer has arrived:

Driveway is getting packed:

Customer 1 (200q Avant) is getting fuel lines, suspension and subframe work, and wiring
Customer 2 (90q Coupe) is getting a 034 Turbo Kit installed, and brake system overhauled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Quick bounce for the Audi thread: Been working on Injection Pumps and did control arm replacements on the Rally 4kQ.

Found out I could convert the fake LDAs to functional LDAs by stealing parts from a VW LDA that was incompatible to due the rear facing pumps having the throttle move the opposite direction.

I still had to drill to add the LDA lever pin, then tapped to make sealing screws

Test fit of the LDA reference pin. Moved smooth.

Couple custom sockets for removing the triangular bolts from the Bosch Injection Pumps

Control arm changeout!

That's not good!

New Hotness.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hah, man I've bought like 5 of those triangle sockets and don't think ever got to use one since I would loan them out. I grind up a sacrificial 11mm when I need it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, we did a timing belt on the Jetta TDI last year, and then suddenly the tensioner failed via fracture a couple weeks back, so I gotta tear it down, find the damage, and submit documentation to the belt manufacturer to see if they'll cover the repairs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Rescued from the scrapper:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
fucker got service position'd by the owner alright.

what's your plans for it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

fucker got service position'd by the owner alright.

what's your plans for it?

Gonna try to restore it to stock. Driver rear ended someone.....15 years ago.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Tracks that something like that would sit for that long for someone trying to part it out, or worse. Nice interior though!

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 11, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Engine bay getting put back together, gotta get this guy under its own power so it can move to the back.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Everything is hooked up, but fuel pump isn't cycling, removed pump today for bent testing tomorrow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KImke-ex-w0

Its running on 10 year old gas, hence the lovely running.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Was the pump not turning because it was stuck? That's happened twice on my lift pump and I was able to save both by shooting pb blaster in there while moving the vanes with a pick. Then once it would move a little run it off a battery while spraying pb or some lubricant until it was back to normal. My car has a mixture of 10yo and new gas and I think the old is sticking the pump

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shy boy from chess club posted:

Was the pump not turning because it was stuck? That's happened twice on my lift pump and I was able to save both by shooting pb blaster in there while moving the vanes with a pick. Then once it would move a little run it off a battery while spraying pb or some lubricant until it was back to normal. My car has a mixture of 10yo and new gas and I think the old is sticking the pump

The pump was seized due to corrosion, yup. And the pump in the tank does double duty as both lift pump and high pressure pump.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh no poo poo? Mine had one of each. Does it have some weird setup like screw into the tank? Roy was saying that about something he was working on the other day and I have a lot of vag experience but that was a new one for me

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oh no poo poo? Mine had one of each. Does it have some weird setup like screw into the tank? Roy was saying that about something he was working on the other day and I have a lot of vag experience but that was a new one for me

On this one its held in by plastic tabs into the strainer:

See the tab at the 5'oclock and 9'oclock position? Push those away from the pump and pull up.

Never VAGs have a lift pump and a high pressure pump, usually driven by the cam. The diesels post Mk3 also have a lift pump and then a cam or timing belt driven high pressure pump.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 16, 2020

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

MK4s didn't get a lift pump until the PDs, the ALH cars only had the low side of the injection pump. Adding a lift pump was all the rage in my early TDI days.

The lift/high pressure ones I was referring to were my CIS ones and now I'm just using the lift pump for the carb. If it will pump diesel reliability I'll use it for that too later on

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MK4s didn't get a lift pump until the PDs, the ALH cars only had the low side of the injection pump. Adding a lift pump was all the rage in my early TDI days.

The lift/high pressure ones I was referring to were my CIS ones and now I'm just using the lift pump for the carb. If it will pump diesel reliability I'll use it for that too later on

CIS only had one pump too, drove the entire system. On the original Audis, it was on a rail under the drivers side rear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3MCRGA9Mbs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Sold wife's V70XC today, we replaced it with a '13 Passat TDI DSG. She loves it

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Nice! My old man had a TDI Jetta Wagon with the DSG, and it was one of the few auto boxes that didn't boil my blood.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

Nice! My old man had a TDI Jetta Wagon with the DSG, and it was one of the few auto boxes that didn't boil my blood.

I'm actually really jealous, thing as 200k miles but it shifts like a dream and accelerates like a bat out of hell for a turbodiesel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We're bbbaAAAAAAAAAaaaaack.

Cleaned out the garage, and as a birthday present to myself, decided to get the 4000 Quattro running properly. And Success!

Turns out the MAF was bad, ordered some Volvo MAFs since the stock MAFs for 3B/AANs are NLA. Worked like a charm. Accelerates like a dream. Put new control arms on and new bushing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MAF solved the stalling while hot issue or stalling when coming back to idle. Still have hot start issues, but I think its fuel pressure related

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do you think its the pressure regulator or the pump?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Do you think its the pressure regulator or the pump?

I think its because the ECU doesn't prime like it should pre-crank. It should be priming for 2-3 seconds prior to cranking. Doesn't happen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Took the 20vT 4kQ to Athens for a car show and to hang out with the Athens VW Watercooled group

Just upgraded the radiator and replaced the radiator fan and alternator, it seemed to run slightly hotter but the temp gauge is hardly reliable on this old dash, working on figuring out what channel the ECU has the temp sensor on so I can read directly.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Love the second pic with all the coolest VAGs. I saw the mintest 4k the other day but I was driving so no pic. It was like showroom and totally stock.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I require more pictures and information about that red sedan that has come out of a time machine from 1988.

I want to believe it's an e28 but just seeing the window profile is honestly throwing me off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crunchy Black posted:

I want to believe it's an e28 but just seeing the window profile is honestly throwing me off.

I think it was an e28? All I recall is it had a difficult time starting.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Side profile looks very E28, issues starting sounds rather E28-ish as well. The Kosei wheels (K1) look pretty good on it.

Good to see the Audi fleet is still running around, that driveway paint job still kicks rear end.

\/\/ He's right, wow I'm dumb \/\/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 5, 2021

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
That's an E30 sedan, E28s have 5 lug wheels.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
ah good call, it was early morning :shobon:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Side profile looks very E28, issues starting sounds rather E28-ish as well. The Kosei wheels (K1) look pretty good on it.

Good to see the Audi fleet is still running around, that driveway paint job still kicks rear end.

\/\/ He's right, wow I'm dumb \/\/

She's actually really running well, after troubleshooting the MAF.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Get new 390cc balanced injectors installed, fixed some hesitation issues, getting some 90q B3 rear springs to hopefully give the rear end of the 4kQ a little more lift over stock.

Working on getting an AAN conversion kit that is plug and play, plugs in between the ECU and wiring harness and breaks out the coil on plug connectors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I may be letting my 90 Quattro (B3) go, I gotta focus on my 4000s and my 5000 and simplify so I can support/mod them better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Bouncing my Quattro thread, haven't gotten much work done since I've been both struggling with my health and now a D&D Mod, but I did build a tiny RC Quattro!

This will enable me to do a "This is my toy car, this is my real car" with the 4000 Quattro Turbo. Working on a 3D printed Sedan body for it so it'll match even more.

I 3D printed some mud guards and improved body shell mounts.

In real car talk: I may keep the 90q, just put it under a waterproof car cover, may be rehoming the AAN from the scrap UrS6 into it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sounds like you need to find a Hot Wheels Quattro so you stack them at cars and coffee.

Hope your health issues are mild and passing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sounds like you need to find a Hot Wheels Quattro so you stack them at cars and coffee.

Hope your health issues are mild and passing.

I've got a couple of the Hot wheels. Good point.

Its mostly tooth issues, but I was also having hypertension issues.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Love the little RC!

I have a soft spot for these cars as they were top tier when I was younger. I still imagine ripping a snowy mountain road in one. :D

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Its mostly tooth issues, but I was also having hypertension issues.

Both suck, hoping you heal up quickly.

Love the replicar, you so should build a small groupb replica track for it out back and race with the kiddos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got the UrQuattro headlights installed

Before:
After:

I had to design and 3D print replacement rocket arms for the adjusters for the lights
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5177476

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 1, 2022