Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Speaking as someone who's currently working with USFWS, I'm gonna go with... yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

glowing-fish posted:

Well, I've actually been doing some research.

Adirondack Park in New York State is a large park, but it also has a population of over 100,000 people, and it has roads and hotels, etc. But if it manages to preserve forests, protect water quality, and have populations of some megafauna (such as black bears), does it matter that it isn't preserved in a totally natural state?

I didn't know this, but I used to go to Adirondack Park every night, when I lived in Vermont just across the river from its eastern edge. At the time, I never thought of it as a park, but if it serves all of the functions of a park, is it a park?

The primary purpose of a park is for recreation-for people to go there, appreciate nature, use the land for camping, fishing, hunting, that kind of stuff.

Other areas, like wildlife refuges, can be used for recreation, but it's not the primary purpose. You can go to a refuge and hike, camp, or fish (Depending on that refuge's policies), but administrative decisions that relate to those activities are secondary to those made for preserving habitats and wildlife.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

glowing-fish posted:

What type of wildlife do you work with?

Visitors :v:

• Locked thread