Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

The environment needs to be more like rest stops out west and less like rest stops in the east. If you know what I'm sayin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

I didn't know this, but I used to go to Adirondack Park every night, when I lived in Vermont just across the river from its eastern edge. At the time, I never thought of it as a park, but if it serves all of the functions of a park, is it a park?

Are you saying you didn't know that it was a park or you didn't know that you went there every night?

To answer your question a park is a state of mind, not a physical place.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

What type of wildlife do you work with?

One thing is, a lot of wildlife seems to adjust quite well to the presence of humans. Like Canada Geese will settle in a lake that is right next to a free way, and don't care. Other wildlife is very sensitive to habitat intrusion. So raccoons are not impacted negatively by human buildings (and in fact benefit from them), while wolverines, much similar animals, are very sensitive to habitat change. (As well as climate change)

Gonna disagree with you on this one. I can't keep wolverines out of my garbage at my house (live in Wisconsin).

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

There were 12 confirmed wolverine sightings in Wisconsin in the 1800s, 2 confirmed sightings between 1900 and 1930, and there has not been a confirmed wild wolverine in Wisconsin for over 80 years:

Who is the authority that confirms wolverine sightings because I need to talk to them immediately.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

I think it is necessary to differentiate between wilderness and nature, mostly because people who have never been in a wilderness area seem to literally not be aware that it exists.

I myself have never been in a wilderness area and I am skeptical of its existence. If wilderness exists how come I haven't seen it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Biodiversity is intrinsically good and it's also good for humans because we learn more about life itself and we benefit from the knowledge attained from studying other life forms. Only exception is those pandas that struggle so much to gently caress. They need to die.

• Locked thread