Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Humans are poo poo, don't spoil the world for more of them, I say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

I lived North of Leesburg VA a few years in the early 90s. Was beautiful rolling countryside. Now it is sprawl as far as the eye can see. I live now in a very small town in the mountains, much like NOVA was decades ago. Sadly it is one of the fastest growing communities in Utah and for some reason the councils use that as a reason to allow more development, while completely missing WHY people want to move here. Families who claimed thousands of acres hundreds of years ago (and left it mostly wild) now are decendants who happily sell off to developers and the councils just let them chop it up at will unless the community swarms in to object. Sadly by then the damage is done.

Humans are indeed poo poo.

Agreed, this is why when I was able to buy a place, I chose one that was surrounded by land that is either economically unbuildable due to slope or owned publicly. Hopefully the park stays a park...

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There really isn't a clear answer to that. All preservation is IMO arguably selfish and human-centered, even if it involves minimizing human impact. We're preserving because we want to, not because it's some sort of objective good. So pre-human ecosystems aren't inherently any better than disturbed ones, even though we frequently value them more for their rarity, uniqueness, etc.

This is total nonsense, there is a huge amount of value to well-established ecosystems. And please don't bother me with the "wellll really there's no such thing as good or bad when you think about it, maaan" moral relativism idiocy.

You can tell bullshit opinions like yours because they ~just happen~ to line up exactly with capitalists, imperialists, and assholes.

• Locked thread